Team killer thread

4,511 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mhayden
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So first off I am a Rangers fan, let's please for the love of god keep Astros-Rangers trash talk off of this thread on BOTH sides.

Something I've been curious about for a while: are there other "team killer" players out there to the magnitude of what Kyle Seager and Khris Davis do to the Rangers? Seager seems to have like an .800 average, and Davis hits like Babe Ruth against the Rangers.

I don't follow other teams closely but it really seems like those two guys victimize us at an incredible rate, and I wonder if there are equivalents around the MLB. Just guys who you roll your eyes at when they come up to the plate because you know they're gonna get on somehow. Or in Davis' case, hit a homer in the worst possible spot.
Harry Dunne
Albert Pujols 58 career HR vs Astros in the regular season + even more & some back-breaking postseason moments - hit .500 & 4 HR in 04 NLCS, broke Brad Lidge in 05 NLCS. I am 99% sure the Astros win at least one WS in 00s if Pujols was never born!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Albert Pujols 58 career HR vs Astros in the regular season + even more & some back-breaking postseason moments - hit .500 & 4 HR in 04 NLCS, broke Brad Lidge in 05 NLCS. I am 99% sure the Astros win at least one WS in 00s if Pujols was never born!

Said at the time the Astros needed to trade Brad Lidge in the offseason. He was broken in Houston after that.
_lefraud_
AG
Think we can add Odor on this thread...
irish pete ag06
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Yep... dude's on pace for a historic amount of games played.
Grapesoda2525
Ranger team killers

Kyle seager

Vladimir Guerrero

Khris Davis

Tim salmon

Seemed like there was a few years that the rangers couldn't ever get coco crisp out.
Carlo4
AG
Elvis lifetime vs Cleveland stands out. Here is an old article discussing... Babe Ruth is the answer for a few

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/77104490
mazag08
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Do we count the games where he flails around whiffing at everything? Or just the one game he isn't the worst 2nd basemen in the league?
jtstanley4621
AG
mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Do we count the games where he flails around whiffing at everything? Or just the one game he isn't the worst 2nd basemen in the league?

Can we keep the trash talk out of this thread for the love of all that is holy? All I want to know about is other team killers. I think it's an interesting talking point.
gigem1223
mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Not sure if these include last night, but Odor's career numbers at MMP:

.308 avg
9 HR
20 RBI
.959 OPS
_lefraud_
AG
Odor vs Houston

83 Games
300 AB, 37 Runs, 51 RBI
81 Hits - 17 2B, 6 3B, 17 HR
.270/.334/.537
mazag08
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Can we keep the trash talk out of this thread for the love of all that is holy? All I want to know about is other team killers. I think it's an interesting talking point.

Trash talk? Pointing out that a guy hitting a career .270 against a team doesn't make him a team killer is not trash talking. Using facts about him being a very pedestrian baseball player is not trash talking.

Sorry.
_lefraud_
AG
mazag08 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Trash talk? Pointing out that a guy hitting a career .270 against a team doesn't make him a team killer is not trash talking. Using facts about him being a very pedestrian baseball player is not trash talking.

Sorry.

So which is it? Is Odor the worst 2nd baseman in the league, or is he just pedestrian?
mazag08
AG
_lefraud_ said:

mazag08 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Sorry.

So which is it? Is Odor the worst 2nd baseman in the league, or is he just pedestrian?

He's a pretty bad baseball player who had a good weekend. I'll go back on my worst in the league comment as I haven't watched every team. But it's hard to imagine any guys who are overall more underwhelming. He's not even trade bait on a terrible team. That's pretty telling.
94chem
mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

mazag08 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Sorry.

He's a pretty bad baseball player who had a good weekend. I'll go back on my worst in the league comment as I haven't watched every team. But it's hard to imagine any guys who are overall more underwhelming. He's not even trade bait on a terrible team. That's pretty telling.

What's pretty telling is that you don't know when to shut up, and that Odor is not even on the trading block, hasn't been, and won't be, due to having a big contract and being under 25. At least kill a thread with factual information.
mazag08
AG
94chem said:

mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

mazag08 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Sorry.

What's pretty telling is that you don't know when to shut up, and that Odor is not even on the trading block, hasn't been, and won't be, due to having a big contract and being under 25. At least kill a thread with factual information.

I did in my first post. He's a bad baseball player.
gigem1223
mazag08 said:

94chem said:

mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

mazag08 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Sorry.

I did in my first post. He's a bad baseball player.

Odor was bad the first 2 months of the season, got injured and has been playing with his hair on fire since. He's not a bad baseball player but you already knew that. He ranks in the top 10 in OPS at his position and with the pace he's on, can damn well finish in top 5 of most offensive 2nd baseman categories...even after his horrific start.
_lefraud_
AG
Odor is a top 5 2nd baseman in the AL.

Was Altuve trade bait in 2012, 2013, or 2014? Of course not, because he was young and good. We'll guess what, Odor is young and good, so why on Earth would he be "tradable" at this point in his career?
jtstanley4621
AG
mazag08 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

mazag08 said:

_lefraud_ said:

Sorry.

I mean the way I read that you're trashing Odor, saying he's the worst 2nd baseman in baseball. That sounds like trash talk to me. You didn't include that .270 until after that post.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I think we figured out who Grapesoda2525 is.

On another note, Chipper Jones batted .309 with 49 HRs in 858 at bats vs. the Mets. Not bad. Maybe not a team killer but certainly fared well.
_lefraud_
AG
PDEMDHC said:

Elvis lifetime vs Cleveland stands out. Here is an old article discussing... Babe Ruth is the answer for a few

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/77104490

Pretty awesome article, I'd like to see how he researched it, and an updated one would be pretty cool.
TMACsDaMan
Not quite an Astros team killer but my cousin and his buds all shudder and scream Fbombs when the name Walt Weiss is said
A&M Chopper
AG
Roy Oswalt was 23-3 against the Reds in his career.
W
AG
Lance Berkman hit 52 career HR's vs. the Reds...to go along with 137 runs scored and 144 RBI. OPS of 1.087. He murdered Cincy.

at Great American Ballpark -- the Reds' home park --- Lance posted a 1.173 career OPS
W
AG
Adam Dunn vs. the Cubs...especially at Wrigley.

hit 27 career homers at Wrigley in 75 games / 265 AB's
Chipotlemonger
AG
David Freese against the Rangers?
wildcat08
AG
A little more specific than team killer, but a friend of mine sent me a stat the other day. Tony Gwynn faced Greg Maddux 107 times, hit .415 and never struck out.
TMACsDaMan
Jim Leyritz singlehandledly ruined the 98 Astros post season.
MelvinUdall
wildcat08 said:

A little more specific than team killer, but a friend of mine sent me a stat the other day. Tony Gwynn faced Greg Maddux 107 times, hit .415 and never struck out.

The strikeout stat is not shocking at all, Maddux was the perfect pitcher for Gwynn, didn't throw hard and with Gwynn's eye at the plate he could just wait for that cut or movement and just slap it to LF.
annie88
AG
annie88
AG
Pujols.

Grrrrr.
94chem
MelvinUdall said:

wildcat08 said:

The strikeout stat is not shocking at all, Maddux was the perfect pitcher for Gwynn, didn't throw hard and with Gwynn's eye at the plate he could just wait for that cut or movement and just slap it to LF.

3372 K's. Not exactly Jamie Moyer either.
Grapesoda2525
Do pitchers count?

Roberto osuna has pitched over 20 innings against the rangers. Tons of strikeouts and has never given up a run against them
MelvinUdall
94chem said:

MelvinUdall said:

wildcat08 said:

I wasn't suggesting Maddie was not a strikeout pitcher, he is one of my favorite players of all time, but with the way Gwynn approached hitting, Maddie was a perfect pitcher for his swing.
94chem
MelvinUdall said:

94chem said:

MelvinUdall said:

wildcat08 said:

I wasn't suggesting Maddie was not a strikeout pitcher, he is one of my favorite players of all time, but with the way Gwynn approached hitting, Maddie was a perfect pitcher for his swing.
At age 32, Jamie Moyer had a 51 - 70 career record. Over the next 15 seasons, he went 207 - 125. His career record was 269-209. 2400K's in 4000 IP.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.