Baseball trips/Visiting Stadiums

8,197 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by reveille23
corleoneAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Memorial
OPACY
Old Yankee
Fenway
Astrodome
Minute Maid
TBIA
New Busch
Nationals Park
Petco
Dodger

And Coors is up next for me at the end of the month for a series against SFG. Can't wait!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I'm on the bottom of any visitation list as I've only been to a few ML ballparks, but went to Coors Friday night for the Dodgers vs. Rockies. My first NL game ever!

-- Arlington Stadium
-- Ballpark in Arlington
-- Astrodome (been but a tour, no game)
-- Coors

I also ran around MM while in Houston a few years ago.

I don't like downtown ballparks, by the way.

I seem to like the downtown parks the best.

As a lifelong Rangers fan, I have never really cared for the location of either ballpark. I wish they would build the new one in downtown Dallas or Fort Worth. I just think it brings a lot to the stadium having it downtown.

Just my $.02.
The Lost
91AggieLawyer said:

I'm on the bottom of any visitation list as I've only been to a few ML ballparks, but went to Coors Friday night for the Dodgers vs. Rockies. My first NL game ever!

-- Arlington Stadium
-- Ballpark in Arlington
-- Astrodome (been but a tour, no game)
-- Coors

I also ran around MM while in Houston a few years ago.

I don't like downtown ballparks, by the way.

How can you say this with only having been to 1? Do you just live in the burbs and it's more convenient?

I think it just depends on the city/transportation options.

The new ATL park is a beetch to get to and has 0 interesting architecture out in the burbs. The locals love that its around their entertainment district.

Minnesotas stadium is fantastic right in downtown, easy to get to, and near stuff to do before/after.

BPIA/Kaufmann are near nothing. It works in KC with the tailgating and the city really doesn't have much traffic to care about. It's annoying to get to arlington from myparents in fw.

Coors works well, it's a $5 uber for me now each way, which is cheaper than attempting to find parking.
The Milkman
AG
Downtown parks make it so much easier for pregame and postgame activities and keeps the crowd pretty well consolidated. I love walking around Wrigleyville and seeing everyone ready for a cubs game, or in Pittsburg or the many others.

Just feels more cohesive to the city and a togetherness of fans at bars and restaurants at gametime vs a giant parking lot in the burb
Frok
AG
It depends on the downtown. I love what Minute Maid Park has done for downtown Houston. Most of the area has transformed since the ballpark has been built. Toyota Center being built down the street as well helped. Constant supply of patrons.

Btw: I am 2 weeks away from visiting Citizens Bank Park in Philly. Unfortunately I have to share a rental car on my business trip. Might get me an Uber to get there.
BCSWguru
If downtown, take the train to the stadium in Philly. Cheap and very easy.
Mozart Paintings
AG
I love parks in the middle of the city. Can't stand the location of Globe Life in Arlington.

But we are all entitled to our opinions.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Going to Wrigley Sunday for the Cubs vs Pirates. I plan on getting there a couple of hours before the game. Anything in particular that I need to see inside the stadium before the game or is it just "take it all in?"
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

How can you say this with only having been to 1?

1 ballpark but many other areanas/venues many times. Probably in the hundreds. In high traffic areas -- which is just about everywhere -- you have significant traffic working against each other. Seems like everyone I know who I've discussed this with shares the view.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Hit the bars around the stadium. Then go inside a few minutes before and go to the new park and walk around a bit.
TX Aggie
AG
Didn't see anyone mention the Houston Astros first home (as the Colt 45's).
Colt Stadium - was taken there by my Paw Paw when I was 3 yrs old.
Any other old farts go there?
Thinice
I'm really lucky with a wife that grew up around baseball and a couple of boys that love going to games.

Have 10 more to go, going to KC Friday, was supposed to go to St. Louis Sunday but am going to Omaha instead with my son that's about to play Juco Baseball.

Yankees Old
Yankees New
Boston
Tampa Bay
Baltimore
Chisox
Houston Dome
Houston MMP
LA Angels
Oakland
Rangers Old
Rangers New
Atlanta
Washington
Philadelphia Old
Mets Old
Mets New
Miami
Milwaukee
Cubs
Arizona
LA Dodgers
Colorado
San Diego Old
San Diego New

Frok
AG
Saw Citizens Bank Ballpark this week. I really enjoyed it. Two things I noticed

1) The concourse is all open so you can pretty much watch the game from anywhere in the stadium

2) the visitors bullpen is open to the opposing fans so there is a lot of heckling.

Overall it was a fun experience.

shelbys99
Have seen:
Minute Maid
Ballpark in Arlington
Kaufman
Wrigley Field
Fenway
Jacobs
Citizens bank
Camden Yards
Dodgers
New comisky
PAC Bell
Oakland Coliseum

Old:
Astrodome
Milwaukee county
Three Rivers
Qualcomm
Tigers
RFK
Shea
Yankees

Seen the outside of:
Miller Park
Coors
Busch
Anaheim

Have been to 5 minor league ballparks

That's all I can remember right now.. will edit if I think of more.
BCSWguru
Just visited KC and Colorado last week, brings count to 5 new stadiums this year. Both were enjoyable. Kauffman was surprisingly nice and much better than anticipated.
Kellso
I just went to Target Field a few weeks ago when I was in Minneapolis and I think its the best baseball stadium that I've been to.

That place was fantastic....almost perfection.

To give a comparison it would be like if you put the Rangers stadium in Deep Ellum right next to the DART light rail station.

The Kansas City Royals and the Texas Rangers are the only two MLB teams that play in their cities outskirts.
I prefer downtown baseball stadiums.

PRO of Target Field:
-The train station is underneath the stadium...so no need to drive all the way downtown if you live in the burbs.
-If you want to drive there are abundant parking garages near the stadium and blocks away
-There are plenty of bars and that cater to pre and post game activities all around the stadium
-Downtown Minneapolis has a system of skywalks. So if you work downtown you don't actually have to walk outside to get all the way to the baseball stadium.

-Beer. They had tons of different places where you buy beer. Cheap domestic beer, or fancy homegrown craft beers.
-Great sight lines and no bad seats.
-Bars- They had bars in every corner of the stadium. In the upper deck. In the outfield. on the 1st level concourse.
They have a great all around atmosphere if you want to watch the game or socialize.
-Beautiful views of downtown Minneapolis from most of the seats.

Other stadiums I've been to.
Angels Stadium
Ball Park in Arlington
Minute Maid Park
Yankee Stadium (old)
Shea Stadium (old)
Fenway Park
Comerica Park -Detroit
Safeco Field-Seattle
Futlton County Stadium (Old) Atlanta
Frok
AG
Quote:

The Kansas City Royals and the Texas Rangers are the only two MLB teams that play in their cities outskirts.
I prefer downtown baseball stadiums

Do you mean completely out of the city or outside of downtown? There are plenty of ballparks that are not in their cities downtown.

I agree that it's more fun if the ballpark is located within some sort of district rather than being surrounded by large parking lots.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Braves new stadium is in the burbs
The Lost
Frok said:

Quote:

Do you mean completely out of the city or outside of downtown? There are plenty of ballparks that are not in their cities downtown.

I agree that it's more fun if the ballpark is located within some sort of district rather than being surrounded by large parking lots.

Yeah, that's a weird way to describe it. Hell yankee stadium and citi field aren't in places I'd hang around or the White Sox.
Kellso
Frok said:

Quote:

Outside of the city.

Neither Chicago team plays in downtown Chicago, but both areas they play are very urban.
Same with the New York teams. There are plenty of things to do around these venues.

Kansas City and Texas Rangers are the only teams whose stadium are located in areas far outside of the main city.

That is common in the NFL. Not so common in MLB, Both of those stadiums are also located next to NFL venues.
I forgot about the Braves new stadium, but that area in Cobb County is still Atlanta proper....even if its more suburban than their previous location.

So i guess you could say three teams.

I consider the LA Angels to be the team of Orange County...so them playing in Anaheim is almost in the middle of Orange County.

jp70
AG
OK, I have been to major league games in two stadiums that I have not seen mentioned yet. My dad was stationed at the Pentagon during my team-loyalty formative years, so I followed the Washington Senators. The first ballpark I ever went to was Griffin Stadium on F Street in Washington D.C. where the sad sack Washington Senators played ball. It had a capacity of 28,000. I was able to see a team on the rise though; in fact, while I was there I saw a pretty good team that would win the world series in several years move to Minnesota. And they were replaced by a really, really bad team that played in DC Stadium after Griffin Stadium was torn down after the 1960 season. I used to be able to take a bus down there from my home to watch then play, and later on, after I moved on, they moved to Arlington to become your Texas Rangers! Who I still follow to this day!
The Lost
Kellso said:

Frok said:

Quote:

Outside of the city.

Neither Chicago team plays in downtown Chicago, but both areas they play are very urban.
Same with the New York teams. There are plenty of things to do around these venues.

Kansas City and Texas Rangers are the only teams whose stadium are located in areas far outside of the main city.

That is common in the NFL. Not so common in MLB, Both of those stadiums are also located next to NFL venues.
I forgot about the Braves new stadium, but that area in Cobb County is still Atlanta proper....even if its more suburban than their previous location.

So i guess you could say three teams.

I consider the LA Angels to be the team of Orange County...so them playing in Anaheim is almost in the middle of Orange County.

You need to change your criteria to stadiums with things around them.

"I forgot about the Braves new stadium, but that area in Cobb County is still Atlanta proper....even if its more suburban than their previous location." If that counts, so does KC, it is funded by/in the county of downtown kc/has a kc address.

Also what is the main city of the Texas Rangers (not the dallas/fort worth rangers)? They are in a city in Texas. The new texas live will make it like atlanta with things to do around it.
jakal0722
Defunct:
Old Busch Stadium
Astrodome
Old Rangers Stadium
Old Yankee Stadium (tour)

Still Standing:
Minute Maid
New Rangers Stadium
New Busch Stadium
Fenway (tour)
Kauffman
PNC Park
Great American Ball Park (I like to go to the Reds Opening Day Parade too)
Progressive (very impressed compared to expectations)
Wrigley (had tickets and was in stands for an hour before the game was called due to weather)

Goal for this year: Comerica

Agnzona
Any recommendations on a place to stay when going to SAFECO?
Mozart Paintings
AG
Agnzona said:

Any recommendations on a place to stay when going to SAFECO?

I stayed downtown at a Renaissance. Great hotel and location. Plenty of options downtown.
Mozart Paintings
AG
I went to the Braves new stadium...... not bad. Fairly generic "new" stadium which are all pretty nice. The area they built up around it, called The Battery, is very nice. Good Scene.

Hitting Jacobs field for the first time in two weeks. Looking forward to that.
jetch17
AG
Bought tickets to Fenway vs Indians in a couple weeks. Looking forward to finally catching a game there
reveille23
took a work trip to Chicago and both teams were in town. Went to Comisky (or whatever they are calling it now) Wednesday and Wrigley the following day. Both parks were great in their own ways.

Don't count Comisky out, its pretty cool. Since the Sox suck and S.Chicago is sketchy, I think they try a lot harder to please down there. The food is reasonably priced and for a beer lover the best part is the Craft Corner down in right field where they have a wall of fridges with dozens of craft beers to choose from and a bar with another dozen craft taps.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.