***** Official Houston Astros 2018 Season Thread *****

3,177,019 Views | 44067 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dshedd41
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To take it even further, it would be like saying that because a hitter can smoke a ball but happen to hit it right at the fielder for an out, that hits do not matter.

By your logic we should only use barrels or exit velocity etc. and although those metrics might paint a fuller picture of whether a hitter is hitting well or not, hits still matter.
Ags #1
AG
How can I get that springer gif and text it to a friend??
bearkatag15
AG
Ags #1 said:

How can I get that springer gif and text it to a friend??

This one?
shano0603
AG
+125 run differential.
Ags #1
AG
Thansk
linkdude
AG
Barrels and exit velocity are more of a barometer for where a batter is trending (ie, a predictive measure), because they ignore fluctuations caused by BABIP.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
JABQ04 said:

TREX01 said:

This is the twins game from last Memorial Day

Great game but don't see how we can compare the two games. Two point deficit vs 6 or 7.

Second time this week someone has said point instead of run. No big deal, just kind of random and weird.
Frok
AG
Kickin ass like it's 2017
DVC2010
AG
I agree that hits don't tell you too much about a hitter's quality. Nevertheless, that stat is far less arbitrary than the pitcher win.
Harry Dunne
You're right, I'm just using that example to illustrate my point.

anti-Wins people remind me of my music snob friends that always are listening to some indie band "thats way better than anything on the radio" but can't acknowledge that a band like Nickelback is an important band.

Nickelback sucks, that's true But they had a bunch of number one hits and sold a gazillion records and we can all sing a couple of lines from a couple of their songs, therefore they are important in music and that's a fact.

Wins are Nickelback, that's all I'm trying to say.
DVC2010
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Fair enough.
MelvinUdall
shano0603 said:

+125 run differential.

Is that good?
Beat40
Only a little.
Marvin
AG
DVC2010 said:

Harry Dunne said:

Fair enough.

And that's how the great 2018 wins debate came to an end. Goodnight, folks!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
irish pete ag06
AG
Harry Dunne said:

You're right, I'm just using that example to illustrate my point.

anti-Wins people remind me of my music snob friends that always are listening to some indie band "thats way better than anything on the radio" but can't acknowledge that a band like Nickelback is an important band.

Nickelback sucks, that's true But they had a bunch of number one hits and sold a gazillion records and we can all sing a couple of lines from a couple of their songs, therefore they are important in music and that's a fact.

The difference is that some studio executive is using Nickelback's formula to find another Nickelback...

GMs could give 2 ****s about a pitcher's record when signing free agent pitchers.
BowSowy
AG
Harry Dunne said:

To take it even further, it would be like saying that because a hitter can smoke a ball but happen to hit it right at the fielder for an out, that hits do not matter.

By your logic we should only use barrels or exit velocity etc. and although those metrics might paint a fuller picture of whether a hitter is hitting well or not, hits still matter.
This is a very dumb analogy. Let's ignore the fact that hitters have 550 PAs per year while pitchers have 32 GS per year for a second.

The outcome of a single AB relies on the pitcher, the batter, and whichever fielders are engaged on that single play and is determined as soon as the play is over. The outcome of a starter's game relies on the pitcher, the batters, any relief pitchers that enter the game, and whichever fielders are engaged on every play from the first pitch until the starters' last and is determined at the end of the game, regardless of when the starter leaves the game.

When pitcher A can pitch 8 shut out innings yet get a no decision because another player gave up the run in the 9th. And when pitcher B can pitch 1.2 innings and give up 7 ERs yet get a no decision because the offense bailed him out, that tells you how meaningless W-L is for an individual pitcher.
Harry Dunne
What you have written, although factual, makes no sense and has nothing to do with my point.

Harry Dunne
And with every edit becomes more nonsensical.
Harry Dunne
Of course no GM should consider wins. No one thinks that. I'm talking purely from a fan's point of view. Too many armchair GMs around here assigning meaning to a stat by whether Luhnow is using it.

Lots of people care who leads the league in wins. It will be written about and talked about and will go on Cooperstown plaques. Therefore it matters.

I keep making that point and everyone keeps coming back with reasons why wins arent a good metric for evaluating a pitcher's performance, which I agree with.
Faustus
Never do this, but the game tomorrow is looking elusive at least as far as DirecTV (yeah I know). Any words of wisdom?
Checked local, espn, Fox, etc.
Buck Compton
AG
Faustus said:

Never do this, but the game tomorrow is looking elusive at least as far as DirecTV (yeah I know). Any words of wisdom?
Checked local, espn, Fox, etc.
You must have missed it. It's on FOX unless you're in a weird location. It was my understanding it's the FOX national game.
bigjag19
AG
JABQ04 said:

TREX01 said:

This is the twins game from last Memorial Day

Great game but don't see how we can compare the two games. Two point deficit vs 6 or 7. Hell this game is almost identical as last night. Down a couple then pour the coal to it and win a decisive victory. IMHO to compare to the Twins game we need to come back from 4 or more, which was a pretty regular occurrence last year or so it seemed.

The Twins memorialday miracle I gave up on the boys after the 5th, went to HEB and got some steaks and beer and happened to check the score in the checkout. Saw we were coming back, hauled ass home and made back in time to see us. It only take the lead but then crush Minnesota's dreams. It was glorious.

Are you me? Where am I?
TXAG14
irish pete ag06
AG
TXAG14 said:

Came here to post this. That made my morning.
astros4545
AG
That video puts a smile on my face before I have even got out of bed
jetch17
AG
Yes
astros4545
AG
Post removed:
by user
Beat40
astros4545 said:

Sunday against Tyler is going to be special, isn't it?
astros4545
AG
Speaking with reporters afterwards, several Astros players trolled Clevinger with multiple callbacks to those "special" comments that he made. Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle shared their remarks.

"We got a special team," said pitcher Charlie Morton, who got the victory over Clevinger. "That win, for me, and being on the field for that game right there, with how it was just a complete team win is really rewarding for me. For me, it was a special game to be a part of with the group."

"Just a good feeling to put a couple more runs up there," chimed in outfielder Jake Marisnick. "This is a special team."

"That's one of the things that this offense does a very good job of, swinging at pitches to hit," added infielder Alex Bregman, who homered and drove in four in the win. "When we did tonight, we drove in runs and it was special to see."
irish pete ag06
AG
I love this so much. Reminds me of Wes Welker with the "foot" comments and Rex Ryan.

Rivalry with Yankees, check.
Rivalry with Indians, check.
Rivalry with Rangers, check.

Working our way up to be the badass villain of the league. Of course, this team is so likable, I never think they will have much hate.
irish pete ag06
AG
Beat40
I love that this team still plays with a chip on their shoulder and doesn't back down from anyone.
Beat40
irish pete ag06 said:

That's very cool. The best fit line for us around 17 games through now is crazy. Also interesting is how relatively flat the Redsox run differential has been in the same time period.

Also, we out mashing the hearolded baby bombers by far.
astros4545
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 296 of 1260

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.