***** Official Houston Astros 2018 Season Thread *****

3,177,423 Views | 44067 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dshedd41
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agdaddy04
AG
Yep and Cle has the division lead at less than .500. Pretty incredible what's going on with Bos and NYY right now.
BowSowy
AG
Generally, the guys shifted against tend to be the power hitters. Fangraphs had an article about it. The general conclusion I drew from it is that it's a combination of not being good at bunting and viewing a bunt as an opportunity to not drive the ball. As these extreme shifts become more common, I figure we'll see guys work on their bunting more but we are still in that transition period.
agdaddy04
AG
What we're witnessing right now is insane.
McInnis
AG
What's amazing is that last year's offense was about as remarkable as this year's pitching.
Ags #1
AG
Correct but still a miss passing on a guy who had arm issues for a cornerstone at 3rd base???
BowSowy
AG
So the Rockets lost by 41 tonight and their thread still had fewer meltdowns than ours does when we're down 1-0 in the 2nd.
JABQ04
AG
BowSowy said:

So the Rockets lost by 41 tonight and their thread still had fewer meltdowns than ours does when we're down 1-0 in the 2nd.

So? Not our fault they don't know how to properly enjoy Houston sports
Bryan98
AG
Beat40 said:

Frok said:

Another clean save for Giles since punching himself in the face

I remember hearing they basically told him he needed to get his emotions under control more. If that's the trick, I hope it sticks.
Everyone else has noticed that he does his pre-pitch dip slower this year, right?
CSWendt
AG
Crazy: last season we had an offense on a historic all-time level. This season we have pitching on a historic all-time level. What a time to be a fan. Get to witness all time hitting, all time pitching, and a WS mixed in
Mr.Bond
AG
BowSowy said:

Shiiiiittttt Hickory hollow is a one man meltdown machine
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Al Bula
AG
Tony Kemp:

irish pete ag06
AG
Frok said:

irish pete ag06 said:

AgSportsFan89 said:

Nobody tell Vasgersian about Mark Appel...
Jessica just did. Or the time that all the media made the FO out to be heartless *******s for low balling Brady Aiken and his teeny tiny UCL.

Don't know why but the tiny UCL comment made me lol
I'm here all night.
astros4545
AG
Off day talk commence .....now

irish pete ag06
AG
Give me a minute and I'll see if I can come up with another off day bomb discussion point like "Should we trade Dallas Keuchel this year?"
Ag_07
AG
Here's something I read with this morning's coffee...

Quote:

• Brian McCann: The Astros have $15MM club option on him for 2019 that vests into a player option if he doesn't end 2018 on DL, starts at least 90 games at catcher in 2018, and has at least 1000 plate appearances in 2017-18. With just 399 PA last season, McCann would need a career-best 601 PA this year to gain control over his 2019 status. He does have 118 PA through 33 games, and he made his 30th start behind the plate tonight, so it's not completely out of the question that McCann could get hit both thresholds, if unlikely. There's also the possibility that McCann plays less down the stretch as the Astros rest him for the postseason.

So do you think it vests into a player option? If so does he exercise it? If not do we pick up the club option?
gigemJTH12
AG
im sure this has been discussed...but if you take the bad game Lance had against the twins out...

he has a 2.10 on the year.
irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Here's something I read with this morning's coffee...

Quote:

• Brian McCann: The Astros have $15MM club option on him for 2019 that vests into a player option if he doesn't end 2018 on DL, starts at least 90 games at catcher in 2018, and has at least 1000 plate appearances in 2017-18. With just 399 PA last season, McCann would need a career-best 601 PA this year to gain control over his 2019 status. He does have 118 PA through 33 games, and he made his 30th start behind the plate tonight, so it's not completely out of the question that McCann could get hit both thresholds, if unlikely. There's also the possibility that McCann plays less down the stretch as the Astros rest him for the postseason.

So do you think it vests into a player option? If so does he exercise it? If not do we pick up the club option?
From a pure numbers perspective, you don't pick up that option if you are the Astros. However, I'm not sure Stassi/Stubbs is ready to manage the staff. Verlander has one more year, and Jose Altuve's big $ doesn't kick in until 2020.

It will be interesting to see what happens... although I'm leaning towards them not picking it up.

There are a few intriguing free agent catchers out on the market in 2019.

astros4545
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

im sure this has been discussed...but if you take the bad game Lance had against the twins out...

he has a 2.10 on the year.

4th in the rotation

The guy sucks
gigemJTH12
AG
and he is one back of leading the AL in wins.
W
AG
I don't think it will become a player option.

also think the front office's plan was to be done with McCann's large salary after this season. Have to see how he finishes the year.

probably not going to pay someone $15 MM to be a part-time starter
irish pete ag06
AG
Here's another off-day topic:

Playoffs start tomorrow (using today's standings) and we are the 2 seed with home field advantage against the Indians.

Who's your rotation after Verlander?
Ag_07
AG
Agree on not paying him the $15MM and on Stassi/Stubbs

However, I think McCann could be in a situation where at this point in his career he doesn't want to test the market and/or play elsewhere.

I could see a situation where they don't pick up the option but sign him to a cheaper one year deal.
BowSowy
AG
Verlander, Cole, Morton, Keuchel
irish pete ag06
AG
BowSowy said:

So Keuchel to the pen.

Edit: I'm an idiot. It would be LMJ to the pen.
astros4545
AG
BowSowy said:

Agree, I think Lance plays much better out of bullpen than DK would
Topher17
AG
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23558800/tampa-bay-rays-forefront-rotation-revolution

Interesting strategy from Tampa Bay this weekend. The last line of the article will give you a good laugh as well.
Agnzona
Did anyone catch Morton's comments about not playing 4 or more years?
irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Agree on not paying him the $15MM and on Stassi/Stubbs

However, I think McCann could be in a situation where at this point in his career he doesn't want to test the market and/or play elsewhere.

I could see a situation where they don't pick up the option but sign him to a cheaper one year deal.
I also could see that. I could also see him just retiring. Pretty wild number of outcomes could happen.
irish pete ag06
AG
Yes, which is why I think when the Astros offer him a QO, he accepts it.
Agnzona
So you don't think he will seek the huge payday? Just maybe a 2 year equivalent of an extension?
Panama Red
AG
Topher17 said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23558800/tampa-bay-rays-forefront-rotation-revolution

Interesting strategy from Tampa Bay this weekend. The last line of the article will give you a good laugh as well.
I invented this with RBI Baseball in 1990.
irish pete ag06
AG
Agnzona said:

So you don't think he will seek the huge payday? Just maybe a 2 year equivalent of an extension?
Colby Rasmus did the same thing. Coming off that really good year with the Astros he could have gone out and gotten a 2-3 year deal but loved it here and wanted to stay. Last year ths QO was 1 year at $17.4 million. In 2019, the QO will likely be $18-19 million. The Astros made the QO, probably expecting him to turn it down and receive a draft pick, but he accepted it.

There are 4 Free Agents coming after this year. I think the Astros will offer a QO to 3 of the of 4:
  • Tony Sipp, NOPE
  • Dallas Keuchel
  • Marwin Gonzalez
  • Charlie Morton

I think Morton will probably accept. Just a hunch that he only wants to probably pitch for a very short amount of time and has no intentions of taking the Bartolo Colon route. Charlie is a different dude than your average athlete... Just like Rasmus was. DK and Marwin will obviously turn it down and the Astros should receive some nice draft compensation for those 2.

Then again... it may be a bit risky offering Marwin a QO. He may accept it also.
irish pete ag06
AG
Topher17 said:

This is pretty damn smart...
Quote:

To jog your memory, in general, starters fare worse the third time through the order. Here are the numbers for this season:
  • First time through order: .697 OPS allowed
  • Second time through order: .722 OPS allowed
  • Third time through order: .805 OPS allowed
As pitch counts go down and the percentage of innings to relievers goes up, starters -- especially the back-of-the-rotation ones -- often don't make it through 27 batters. The average stint in 2018 is just a shade over 23 batters. That means going through the lineup twice and then facing the first five batters a third time. The most batters Yarbrough had faced this season was 22. Well, if you're going to face only a few batters a third time as you're tiring, it makes more sense that those are the 5-6-7-8-9 hitters in the lineup rather than 1-2-3-4-5.
That makes a lot of sense. Seems like a guy like Brad Peacock who was notorious for getting shelled the 3rd time through would benefit from this.
irish pete ag06
AG
Edit: Meant to add this to my post above.
First Page Last Page
Page 275 of 1260

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.