***** Official Houston Astros 2018 Season Thread *****

3,031,568 Views | 44067 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dshedd41
McGibblets
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Marwin is the man. No one would bat an eye if Marwin received a check. Keuchel is a different story. He deserves a chunky contract. Is he right for the stros? Probably not. But I'd love to have him
Ag_07
AG
I'm with ya

I'm not the biggest Keuchel fan but he put it all out there on the mound for us. He came a long way to where he was then to where he is now.

He's a good dude and a solid pitcher. I just don't think it's in the cards for him to stay. Honestly in my opinion while I think he likes being here in Houston I'm not convinced he wants to continue playing for the organization. I don't think he fits and is completely on board with a lot of what we do especially shifts.

With all that said if he stays that's great but if walks he'll be one I'll follow and wish nothing but the best for throughout his career.
Mathguy64
AG
I would definitely pay both on a 3 year deal. I would be willing to do 3 yrs $75MM for Keuchel. The Vubs paid Darsh that per year but did 6 yrs which is nuts. For a 31 Yr old with his skill that's a fair deal. Anyone paying him that for 6 years will be sorry in the last 3 years of that deal. Someone will.

Marwin I do again for three years market value. He's a valuable piece of this puzzle.
klsmith89
AG
Agreed. Marwin is very crucial to bring back
Philip J Fry
AG
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/astros-jose-altuve-reportedly-undergoes-knee-surgery-after-injury-sunk-second-half-performance/

Altuve certainly gave everything he had for us this year.
agdaddy04
AG
man I know injuries are part of the game but geez we had our best players minus Bregs, JV and Cole go down for significant time. That's why this is so tough to grasp. Still won 103 with missing so much key time.
Wabs
AG
DK is and always will be a Houston legend. I hope there is some way to keep him here. He and Altuve took us all from 100+ losses to the very top of the MLB world. No matter where he goes, I'll always root for the beard.
JDUB08AG
AG
I love baseball but I cannot stomach an LA-Boston WS. I honestly don't think I'll watch much, if any.
Hulla Baller
AG
Did y'all see Chris sale was in the hospital because of an irritation from his belly button ring...?

I don't even know what to say about that.
n_touch
It was a prank he pulled to see if the media would report it. Pretty funny.
Eeyore Smooth
AG
I'm in the same boat. I was hoping the Brewers would win because I don't have any qualms rooting for them. LA-Boston... I'll keep up with what's going on but I dont think I can WATCH. That's going to be brutal.
Farmer1906
AG
It annoys the crap at me that the Dodgers, who aren't as good as they were last year, return to the WS while we lick our wounds at home. The Sox will very likely take them out in 5-6.
Philip J Fry
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It annoys the crap at me that the Dodgers, who aren't as good as they were last year, return to the WS while we lick our wounds at home. The Sox will very likely take them out in 5-6.

Will annoy you even more when the Dodgers win in 6
Ags #1
AG
Pulling for the Sox. Can't stand guys line puig and bellinger
Mr.Bond
AG
Ags #1 said:

I'm rooting for an LA earthquake to suspend the series
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Ags #1 said:

This
**** both of these teams
Bonfired
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Ags #1 said:

I won't go there...but the Brewers being there would have at least given me a team to root for, Bud Selig's asshattery aside. This matchup definitely frees my evenings up.
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."--Steven Wright
Farmer1906
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Farmer1906 said:

Will annoy you even more when the Dodgers win in 6

No, I don't care who wins. I think the Sox are the better team.
979ag
AG
SIAP but looks like McCullers will miss next season due to Tommy John, and that he pitched with a torn UCL in the Playoffs.

1) Here is a fan page who posted about it, and LMJ liked the photo
https://instagr.am/p/BpKLXdCn9rT

2) His wife posted a photo with #18MonthCountdown
https://instagr.am/p/BpHwVnIFR9t

3) Here's a reference from Twitter
n_touch
No Lance next season sucks.
Ag_07
AG
That means as of today we have a rotation of Verlander and Cole.
Mathguy64
AG
Kind of makes resigning Keuchel a little bit more important
Mr.Bond
AG
mathguy86 said:

Kind of makes resigning Keuchel a little bit more important

All depends on dollars and years still imo
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Basketball and Chain
AG
Could we see an opening day rotation of Verlander-Cole-Morton-James-Whitley?
07ag
AG
bump mchugh back into the rotation?
Gap
AG
I think the need to resign Keuchel went up significantly with the McCullers injury. Of course, next year, I'm going to want to resign Verlander and Cole too. And, there is only so much money to go around.
JDUB08AG
AG
Don't think this changes our offer to Keuchel. Not sure anyone was relying on LMJ to be a mainstay in next year's rotation. It's a coin flip on him regardless.
Ag_07
AG
Gap said:

I think the need to resign Keuchel went up significantly with the McCullers injury.

The need to obtain a starting pitcher went up. Not that it has to be Keuchel.

This FO won't overspend based on need. If there's one thing we know it that's they are VERY disciplined when it comes to sticking to their guns when it comes to player valuation.

One interesting option...Sonny Gray. Does Luhnow still see him as a fit and does Strom think he can fix him? If so the Yanks would be wise to listen on an offer.
bearkatag15
AG
Just don't let Sonny pitch in Yankee Stadium and it's a solid idea
Farmer1906
AG
WelchAg said:

Don't think this changes our offer to Keuchel. Not sure anyone was relying on LMJ to be a mainstay in next year's rotation. It's a coin flip on him regardless.

Replacing 60% of the rotation ain't no joke. We have guys to who can fill in for 1 to 2 spots if things go well, but 3? I highly doubt it without taking a huge step back. We'll need another option or need to not replace 3/5 of the rotation.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Farmer1906 said:

WelchAg said:

Replacing 60% of the rotation ain't no joke. We have guys to who can fill in for 1 to 2 spots if things go well, but 3? I highly doubt it without taking a huge step back. We'll need another option or need to not replace 3/5 of the rotation.

Is there any particular reason you're assuming Morton won't be back? To me, he seems like the perfect fit for Houston's long term plans because it doesn't appear that he's looking for a long term deal. He's been mentioned as a candidate that could just accept the QO and pitch on a one year deal. It sounds like he wants to take it year by year based on his health situation.
iBrad
AG
I think you try to bring Morton back on a one-year qualifying offer and then fill out the rotation with McHugh and/or some youngsters. If Morton decides to retire, then perhaps you look at signing someone. With Verlander and Cole both in the last year of their contracts, it just seems like you'd want to avoid a deal this offseason to pursue them next offseason.
gigemJTH12
AG
has anyone reputable said that about mccullers?
Marvin
AG
Good news regarding the rotation is that we have HcHugh, James and Valdez with experience. Of course, that makes it bad news for the pen.

Gotta think we go out and get one rotational guy.
Farmer1906
AG
I think my ideal scenario is we resign Dallas for 3 years, give Charlie a 1-year deal, and then the final spot is for James/Whitely to fight for. More likely than not we'll need both because you can't stay 100% all year long.
First Page Last Page
Page 1258 of 1260

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.