Astrodome has been Saved!

2,725 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 94chem
dshedd41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
http://www.click2houston.com/news/commissioners-approve-105-million-plan-to-renovate-astrodome
Gig’em Aggies!
Ag_07
AG
So damn stupid.

Hey we have a world class meeting and convention center just a few feet away but let's drop $105MM into this dilapidated old eye sore and make it a world class meeting and convention center.
txag614
Complete waste of $.
astros4545
AG
Should turn it into the greatest haunted house in history
BTKAG97
AG
astros4545 said:

Should turn it into the greatest haunted house in history
Indoor water park! Could have the longest water slides in the world!
TXAggie2011
AG
I'll withhold judgment, it sounds like they've got plans to work it into the larger NRG Park. Let's see how they put it to use along with NRG Center, etc.
Ag_07
AG
Not to go down this road on the baseball board but I think it all boils down to keeping the Houston Rodeo and the Texans happy.

A torn down Astrodome and more parking doesn't help HLSR get more vendors in and doesn't help the Texans get another SB.

Just my 0.02 and I'll leave it at that.
W
AG
the NFL experience could be hosted in the remodeled Astrodome instead of the GRB
The Milkman
AG
W said:

the NFL experience could be hosted in the remodeled Astrodome instead of the GRB
Seems like a good place to hold that event once every 10-20 years
Al Bula
AG
This is literally one of the worst effing decisions Harris County has ever made. Voters refused to fund a renovation a few years ago, so the county judge and his commissioner idiot lackeys got historical status for the Dome.

Hope you morons who are all for this renovation and live in Harris County get plenty of use out of this place once it is done. You are paying for it via property taxes.
TXAggie2011
AG
RPM said:

You are paying for it via property taxes.

Sounds like a small proportion of it, at most, will be tied in some way to property taxes.
Al Bula
AG
Yep approximately 1/3 is supposed to be funded by property taxes. If I were a Harris County taxpayer, even one cent of the money I'd be forced to pay in taxes would be too much to pour into a dilapidated POS like the Astrodome.
TXAggie2011
AG
Don't think it is 1/3. The General fund likely isn't even majority property tax funded.

It is a revenue generating project, though, so money will come back into the general fund.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

more parking

I did read that they'll be including 1400 parking spots in re renovation
Al Bula
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Don't think it is 1/3. The General fund likely isn't even majority property tax funded.

It is a revenue generating project, though, so money will come back into the general fund.
i don't know anything other than what the chron reported.

https://m.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Harris-County-Commissioners-Court-to-vote-Tuesday-12584742.php#photo-10360642

States about a third would come from a general fund largely comprised of property taxe revenue.
Quote:

Of the $105 million cost to renovate the dome into convention and meeting space, about a third would come from the county's general fund, largely made up of property tax revenue. The other two sources hotel occupancy taxes and parking revenue would not be used for flood control Harris County Judge Ed Emmett said.
scumbag ed could be mincing words here or it could just be terrible chron reporting.

In any event, my previous statement stands: one GD penny from a Harris County taxpayer is too much for ed to feed his ego or get his slimy friends paid.
BarryProfit
You are pretty riled up for a non-Harris Co taxpayer.
Ag2012
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Revenue =/= Profit.

Just because it generates a little revenue doesn't mean it'll be cash flow positive. This has already been a money pit for the taxpayer and it's going to continue to be for a very long time.
BarryProfit
There are worse money pits.

If they go with the vision of the discover green and buffalo bayou park projects it should turn out well. I've been surprisingly impressed.
W
AG
delving into the world of architecture on the baseball board...

at one time Brazos County had a majestic courthouse, but it was torn down. And today folks look back in frankly disgust that an effort was not made to preserve it (despite the structural issues).

a similar situation in New York with regard to Penn Station --- a city landmark torn down in the 60's. And again folks look back in disbelief that it was demolished.

it would be the same thing with the Astrodome

BMX Bandit
That's pretty funny

The astrodome is ugly as hell.
TXAggie2011
AG
Ag2012 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

Revenue =/= Profit.

Just because it generates a little revenue doesn't mean it'll be cash flow positive. This has already been a money pit for the taxpayer and it's going to continue to be for a very long time.

We'll see. That's an assumption about its ability to be cash flow positive you're making to ft the argument.
dshedd41
S
Here's my two cents:
It's a historic building in Houston that should be preserved.

Gig’em Aggies!
zagman
AG
It's the eight's wonder of the world and historical landmark that should be preserved.
Full Speed Ahead - Fire At Will - Gig'em

"I have never enjoyed any position more than being president of Texas A&M University." Robert Gates 11/08/06
Mr.Bond
AG
You can tear down Yankee Stadium, you can tear down the Astrodome
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Ag2012
AG
zagman said:

It's the eight's wonder of the world and historical landmark that should be preserved.
Lol the only people who consider it a "wonder of the world" are in Houston and even then a majority voted against funding a renovation a few years ago. The only reason it's a landmark is because the city moved to make it one after the voters made it clear they didn't want to dump more of their tax money into it.
TXAggie2011
AG
As far as property tax and the general fund, pretty good chance you would pay at least about what the same out of the general fund to tear it down...if not quite a bit more.
Ag2012
AG
The demolition cost was absurdly overestimated in an attempt to sway public opinion against that option. Even then it was $30mm less than the estimated renovation cost, and if you think that's done on time and on/under budget I have a $105mm bridge to sell you.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/Experts-say-Astrodome-demolition-price-tag-seems-3486500.php

Also regardless of what fund it comes from it's all the taxpayers money. Government doesn't hold, borrow, spend or make a dime that doesn't belong to its citizens.
TXAggie2011
AG
I stand by what I said.

The contribution required from the general fund would probably be about the same to tear it down. The low end estimate on demolition has been $29 million and the general fund contribution to the renovation will be $35 million.
Ag2012
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I stand by what I said.

The contribution required from the general fund would probably be about the same to tear it down. The low end estimate on demolition has been $29 million and the general fund contribution to the renovation will be $35 million.
And what magical place does the remaining $70mm+ come from that is doesn't belong to the taxpayers?
TXAggie2011
AG
The rest, as you know, will come from the hotel tax which can only be spent on touristy things like convention centers and parking revenue from the 1400 spots to be built.

And I'll continue to stand by my comment that as far as property taxes are concerned, the contribution would probably be about the same, if not more, to tear it down.
Ag2012
AG
So it is the taxpayers' money. The city already has enough convention space to host the Super Bowl, Final Four and HLSR. This space isn't needed and will only cannibalize revenues from the other spaces the county operates. It's a waste of money and it's amazing that people are so willing to endorse government waste on such a massive scale after the voters clearly rejected it.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

So it is the taxpayers' money.

A true revelation.
Ag2012
AG
Lol I'm not the one acting like it'll only cost the taxpayer $30mm
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm not either.
Hamburger Dan
If that bad ass scoreboard was part of the deal - that makes it okay me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.