Select Ball: cut a kid or bench them?

4,135 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Farmer1906
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Unearned field time and non competitive teams are lame and they do nothing for the players or baseball.

There is time to learn about earning your playing time...10 years old isn't that time.

And if that's lame then so be it. There are other times to be cool.

(In my opinion.)
DannyDuberstein
AG
Why teach a 10 year old how to play and love the game when he could learn all sorts of great life lessons by sitting on the bench.
Ags #1
AG
Participation ribbon is the answer
BTHOthatguy
Farmer1906 said:

I have no issue with wanting to have a competitive select team. When the team was formed there should be a very candid conversation with the parents to let them know expectations and what would happen if their child was not performing. As long as expectations were set from the get-go that it is not a team where everyone plays no matter what then there is no issue with riding the pine some. The parents need to look out for their own son and get him off that team if in game development and PT is the most important thing, which I would think a lot of posters would agree is.

I don't get the justification for putting a kid on the bench instead of cutting them. Just seems like either a money grab or that you just don't like confrontation. Forcing a 9 year old to quit just seems cruel frankly.
Farmer1906
AG
BTHOthatguy said:

Farmer1906 said:

I have no issue with wanting to have a competitive select team. When the team was formed there should be a very candid conversation with the parents to let them know expectations and what would happen if their child was not performing. As long as expectations were set from the get-go that it is not a team where everyone plays no matter what then there is no issue with riding the pine some. The parents need to look out for their own son and get him off that team if in game development and PT is the most important thing, which I would think a lot of posters would agree is.

I don't get the justification for putting a kid on the bench instead of cutting them. Just seems like either a money grab or that you just don't like confrontation. Forcing a 9 year old to quit just seems cruel frankly.

Maybe all his friends are on this team? Maybe it's the "it" team in the area and he wants to be on it regardless? Maybe he wants to keep working and earn PT instead on just going to a developmental team?
_lefraud_
AG
Holy smokes people, the OP has a daughter, not a son.
agdaddy04
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Holy smokes people, the OP has a daughter, not a son.

On a thread like this it's pretty apparent that people don't read before posting.
Softball versus baseball
Daughter, not boys
The OP is the parent involved, not the coach
HECUBUS
AG
Girls sports are brutal. Ours is 11 in a club sport. 10/11 is the age where softball/volleyball girls get treated like 12/13 year old boys in baseball.

You were likely thinking the opposite, but that has been our experience.

coach_pope
AG
quick question for parents/coaches involved in travel ball. I'm heavily involved in a local dixie youth league. Don't have kids but i'm a board member, league commissioner, and manger. We have lost a good number of kids to a local select team, but overall the league is still healthy until 13/14 age group. My question is why can't kids play both league on weekday, select on weekends. It seems that most select coaches are against anything to do with league ball.
Wabs
AG
coach_pope said:

quick question for parents/coaches involved in travel ball. I'm heavily involved in a local dixie youth league. Don't have kids but i'm a board member, league commissioner, and manger. We have lost a good number of kids to a local select team, but overall the league is still healthy until 13/14 age group. My question is why can't kids play both league on weekday, select on weekends. It seems that most select coaches are against anything to do with league ball.
For the most part it comes down to time. If a kid is playing rec, then I'm assuming they'll have 1-2 games during the week and at least 1 practice. Select teams will play tournaments on the weekend, but also have 1-2 (maybe more) practices during the week.

Years ago when my son was 12, we tried this and the schedule was just ridiculous. We were running all over the place with something every day. Not good for us, and not good for the kid - they need down time to "do nothing" or do school work.
KT 90
AG
coach_pope said:

It can be rough on pitchers and not getting them run into the ground. If they pitch on Thursday for example, they may not be available on the weekend and the weekend coach won't like that. Or flip it and they pitch a lot on a Sunday, then they can't go that next way on say a Tuesday, which might be a big game for that rec league team.

I would not have my kid playing on two different teams. Just too much, don't want to run them into the ground. "More" is not always better.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I think you are more thinking of a select ball schedule like I played when I was younger. Everyone played local leagues during the week and occasionally there would be a weekend tournament played. or a summer league when the regular league wasnt playing games. That just isnt the model anymore unfortunately.
Miguel
AG
BTHOTG,

My son played thru HS, no aspirations to go further. My daughter will most likely play in college and she's 16. I coached them both in LL until they became teens.

My .02 is do whatever puts the least stress on your family for the next few years and if she decides she wants to play in college, the summer before she is a HS freshman, put her in one of the national programs. Nothing the mattter with mowing thru the local league and coach her if you can, you'll never regret it!
BTHOthatguy
So just wanted to put a tidy bow on this thread.

After reading the posts here, we decided to ask for a release from the team that had benched my daughter for harder throwers.

She had her first tournament with her new team today. Stat line: 1 save. 2 wins. She pitched a no hitter in the semi-final to send us to the 'ship which we won. She allowed 1 hit all day.

I guess the moral of the story is when it comes to travel ball picking a team isn't a marriage. When it's time to move on, just do it and move on.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Very nice.
10andBOUNCE
AG
DP
Wabs
AG
BTHOthatguy said:

After reading the posts here, we decided to ask for a release from the team that had benched my daughter for harder throwers.

She had her first tournament with her new team today. Stat line: 1 save. 2 wins. She pitched a no hitter in the semi-final to send us to the 'ship which we won. She allowed 1 hit all day.

I guess the moral of the story is when it comes to travel ball picking a team isn't a marriage. When it's time to move on, just do it and move on.
Sounds like you made the right move. #1 priority is to make sure your daughter is enjoying what she's doing. If she's having fun, that means she will want to go to practice - which in turn will improve her performance in games. It amazes me how some parents (and coaches) don't realize this. Good luck to your daughter!
Farmer1906
AG
BTHOthatguy said:

That is awesome. Sounds like yall made the right now.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.