Should've taken hill out.

1,806 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Old School Rucking
TexasRebel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No shame in a perfect game by committee.
titanmaster_race
Shirley, you can't be serious.
LawHall88
AG
Forsythe booted a playable ground ball. What are you gonna do?
vette
AG
TexasRebel said:

No shame in a perfect game by committee.

Are you high?
LawHall88
AG
So maybe the bullpen to start the 10th wouldn't have been so bad. Poor guy. Dodgers have been mashing all season, pick tonight to lose the bats.

The look on Hill's face watching the home run - "are you f-----g kidding me?"
titanmaster_race
Dodgers offense has lots of amends to make... that's ridiculous
TexasRebel
AG
titanmaster_race said:

I am serious, and don't call me surely.

Nobody has ever recorded a perfect game by committee. I'll pose that a perfect game by multiple pitchers is rarer than a PCG.
jtstanley4621
AG
Man that is about as heartbreaking a game for a pitcher as I could think of... they couldn't just get him one freaking run
Bonfired
AG
TexasRebel said:

titanmaster_race said:

I am serious, and don't call me surely.

Nobody has ever recorded a perfect game by committee. I'll pose that a perfect game by multiple pitchers is rarer than a PCG.

Haven't seen it happen in the majors, but I did see a 3-pitcher perfect game in 2005 in AA. Frisco did it to Corpus. Former big leaguer Steve Karsay was part of it.

Shades of Harvey Haddix, but not quite as long. Haddix threw 12 perfect innings for the Pirates before giving up a bit in the 13th.

Pedro had a perfect game go bye-bye in the 10th when he was with Montreal. I think they at least ended up winning.

Hard to lose that way...feel bad for Hill.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
1. Hill lost the perfect game in the 9th on the error by Forsythe, therefore "perfect game by committee" went out the window on that play...
2. The No-Hitter was still in tack after the error, it makes perfect sense to let him continue for the rest of the 9th inning, which he did without issue.
3. You could argue that they should have removed him after they didn't score in the 10th, but his pitch count was low. The home run was hit on pitch #99 of the evening.

I have no issue with Roberts letting Hill pitch the 10th. Up until the final pitch of the game, he was dominant and showed no signs of letting up. He just got beat on pitch by a very good hitter in Josh Harrison. It happens.

Your take was garbage, IMO. Hill didn't lose that game, and the decision to leave Hill in the ballgame didn't lose the ballgame either. The fact that the Dodgers strung together 8 hits and left 10 men on base, including a bases loaded 4th inning, is what lost the game. But let's be honest, if the Boys in Blue are going to go MIA at the plate in August as opposed to October, I'm okay with it, especially with 89 wins already.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Also, for those arguing why they didn't go to the bullpen in the 10th, the Dodger bullpen has been a little over taxed the last couple days after needing 12 innings to beat the Pirates on Monday and after starter Brock Stewart only got through 2+ innings in the win last night.

Plus, looking ahead, with both Kershaw and Darvish not expected to return from the DL until after this weekend, Alex Wood missing his next start and the rest of the rotation being pieced together day by day, it probably made perfect sense to Dave Roberts to try and extend Hill through 10 innings tonight when the bullpen will likely have a heavy work load the next couple days.
Flexbone
**** the Dodgers.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Flexbone said:

**** the Dodgers.
See you in October, *****
Flexbone
DodgerAg32 said:

Flexbone said:

**** the Dodgers.
See you in October, *****

I hope so.
TexasRebel
AG
You'll notice by my time stamp...

I thought Hill should've never stepped foot out if the dugout in the 9th.

He had too much trouble and got lucky to get out of the 8th.

ETA: "intact", not "in tack"
jkag89
jtstanley4621 said:

Man that is about as heartbreaking a game for a pitcher as I could think of... they couldn't just get him one freaking run
Harvey Haddix says hello.
jkag89
Flexbone said:

**** the Dodgers.
Amen!
_lefraud_
AG
Remember all those astro pitchers that no-hit the yankees?

...Yea, neither does anyone else.
titanmaster_race
Assuming no health issues (like when Hill was yanked from a perfect game in the past because of worries about a blister on his hand), there's not a single manager who would yank his starter after the 8th inning who was thrown less than 100 pitches and has dominated the other team so completely that not one batter has reached base in 24 ABs.
PacifistAg
AG
TexasRebel said:

Every no-hitter or perfect game has a pitcher getting "lucky". There's always some diving catch, or an unreal play that preserves it. Hill absolutely should have come out for the 9th. Heck, he only lost the perfect game because his defense. And he should have come out for the 10th as well. He was still below 100 pitches, if I recall. As was pointed out, the bullpen had been taxed recently.

The fact that 2 things had to happen that have never happened in MLB history (error costing a perfect game in the 9th and a walk-off HR to break up the no-hitter) is not vindication of your initial post.
Mozart Paintings
AG
TexasRebel said:

He hadn't given up a single base runner. How is that getting out of trouble?

There is no way he should have been benched after 8 perfect innings and a pitch count under 90.
Say Chowdah
AG
20/20 hindsight.

If he was over his pitch count, sure. Pull him for the good of the team. He wasn't over. The team doesn't suffer as they didn't NEED this win this game. Let him try to finish.
94chem
Quote:

MaroonStain
AG
Roberts pulled Rich Hill last season in similar situation due to aforementioned blister issues. That wasn't going to happen again last night. Tough loss, Dodgers move forward.
TexasRebel
AG
I guess it depends if you want the rare event, the rarer event, or to save your pitchers.

Heck the rareness compounds when you think about the possibility of a 10+ inning perfect game pitched by committee.

Then again, even in the 9th IDGAS who won or how the Dodgers would manage their next game. I just like to see rare stuff.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
MaroonStain said:

Roberts pulled Rich Hill last season in similar situation due to aforementioned blister issues. That wasn't going to happen again last night. Tough loss, Dodgers move forward.
He was pulled last year because of his blister issues and also the fact that we was developing a hot spot. Last night that wasn't an issue. I like Dave Roberts cares for the ballplayer's health so much. He's the same guy who made the decision to pull Ross Stripling in his debut even though he hadn't given up a hit (Dodgers also lost that game... Might be the only team in baseball that struggles when they haven't allowed a hit).
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
TexasRebel said:

Lol "too much trouble". That is hilarious. Are you referring to the 3-2 count where he retired the batter on a strikeout looking? Not a single batter had reached base through 8 innings, a 3 ball count is hardly "trouble" in the grand scheme of things. With his pitch count so low, there was no chance Dave Roberts was going to pull him. I'm sorry, but again your take on last night is garbage.
TexasRebel
AG
I was referring to the number of outstanding plays that he needed to stay perfect.

They were hitting him hard. That's also how it ended.
Big Shooter
Staff
AG
Good lord. Look at Mark Buehrle's perfect game in 2009. It was preserved by arguably the greatest catch of all time by DeWayne Wise... Guess the White Sox should have removed Buehrle in the 9th after almost giving up a home run!
It is believed that a pitcher needs at least one amazing defensive play to reach perfection. And there was only one difficult play in the entire game for the Dodgers defensively last night, and that was Utley's diving catch.
PacifistAg
AG
TexasRebel said:

I was referring to the number of outstanding plays that he needed to stay perfect.

They were hitting him hard. That's also how it ended.
You don't take out a pitcher working on a perfect game or no-hitter when that pitcher is healthy and has thrown 87 pitches thru 8 or 95 pitches thru 9. There was no sign his stuff was worsening. He was pounding the strike zone (75 out of 99 pitches were strikes). He was in control. Heck, he threw 8 pitches in the 9th.

And was he really getting hit hard?:

6th (0 hard hit out)
K (looking)
Ground out
K

7th (1 hard hit out)
Ground out sharply
K
Ground out

8th (1 hard hit out)
Line out to Utley
K (looking)
Pop out to first

9th (0 hard hit out)
Error on ground ball
Sac bunt
Ground out
Ground out

TXAggie2011
AG
Bottom line for me:

At 54 games above .500 and coming off a game where their starter went 2 innings and 5 relievers had to throw at least 1 inning, the best result yesterday was to give the bullpen rest without having your starter throw a dangerous number of pitches.

They achieved that. Hill tossed 99 pitches and the bullpen tossed 0.

Sure, they could micromanage that ending to work the bullpen matchups but they're in a luxurious position where they can worry about other things.
Old School Rucking
AG
Given how the season is going I'll cut Dave Roberts some slack.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.