***Official Derek Jeter Immortalization Weekend***

3,272 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ClickClack
astroboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Jeremy slides he's safe. And Jeter matches up with really close to Yount with the bat, but loses to him with the glove. Look at the top 10 JAWS for shortstops. Jeter is close to the best, but is still under Trammell.
Farmer1906
AG
For SS, he's 10th in WAR, 15th in WAR7, and 12th in JAWS. While this has him just outside, I would call him a top 10 SS of all time. The way people talk about him is if he's a top 10 player of all time and he's not where near that, not even a little close. That is why he can have 3000 hits and still be overrated AF.
JJxvi
AG
I agree that playing for the Yankees has inflated his perceptions, but lets also realize that he does have 5 rings (and all 5 that the yankees have won in my lifetime, its not like he jumped on the championship express that wins no matter who is on the team).

If, for example, Biggio won 5 championships with the Astros, I am pretty sure there would likely be people arguing that he was the greatest 2nd baseman ever despite his shortcomings compared to some others as well.
Phrasing
AG
Plus, he was a nice guy and gave giftbaskets to the girls he would bang.....

http://nypost.com/2011/12/13/jeter-gives-autograph-swag-to-one-night-stands/
jkag89
CorpsAg11 said:

I still think that ball gets there faster if Jeter never touches it...
The throw never gets there at all because it was way off line.
CorpsAg11
AG
jkag89 said:

CorpsAg11 said:

Not to get too technical over something that doesn't matter, but... The OF throws it from foul territory, it bounces right on the first base line, which means it was headed straight at home plate.

Jeter picks it up and carries it into foul territory before flipping it, which makes it appear to be off line. Look at where Jeter actually fields it.
W
AG
another thing that makes that play great...the home plate ump...he punched out the runner at home...like he knew that was going to be an all-time classic play
W
AG
credit to Kerwin Danley
Psych
AG
aggie1906 said:

He absolutely is. He really had 2 great seasons the rest was decent to good for the rest. If he played his career in San Diego or Miami no one would give him half the credit/love he gets.

They would treat him like Tony Gwynn
JABQ04
AG
Psych said:

aggie1906 said:

He absolutely is. He really had 2 great seasons the rest was decent to good for the rest. If he played his career in San Diego or Miami no one would give him half the credit/love he gets.

They would treat him like Tony Gwynn

Who?
AustinAg2K
jkag89 said:

CorpsAg11 said:

The throw was online. In fact, it was a pretty incredible throw. However, it would not have beaten Giambi. It had already bounced and was about to bounce again when Jeter grabbed it. It might have been rolling to home had Jeter not intervened.
Say Chowdah
AG
CorpsAg11 said:

The throw was on line. I don't think it had the steam left to make it, though.

I watched that clip a couple of times and it is a good thing they didn't have instant replay then, because it looks from the angles provided, that Giambi avoided the tag.

If replay's called him safe, people might be second guessing the flip in 20/20 hindsight. Although in the heat of the moment, there is no second guessing.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think the throw would have pulled him up the line a few feet. Not enough to call offline really but I also think it doesn't get there. Looking at it, had there been review at the time I think the call would have stood. I don't think there was an angle that conclusively showed what happened.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I also thought the crowd noise was interesting. The whole place was going nuts and then just completely deflated when Giambi was called out.
jkag89
CorpsAg11 said:

jkag89 said:

CorpsAg11 said:

Not to get too technical over something that doesn't matter, but... The OF throws it from foul territory, it bounces right on the first base line, which means it was headed straight at home plate.

Jeter picks it up and carries it into foul territory before flipping it, which makes it appear to be off line. Look at where Jeter actually fields it.
Y'all are probably correct. Still looks off line to me, at least Girardi would have had to reach back to catch the ball giving Giambi a clear path to the plate.
ClickClack
AG
Quote:

My friend's cousin dated Derek Jeter for a while and had keys to his apartment. According to the story she entered one day to find him butt ass naked on his couch watching highlights of himself and bumping his chest with his fist saying "YEAH JEETS, YEAH JEETS".

Quote:

I actually kinda believe this. Only because one of my friends claims he knew a girl that went back to Derek Jeter's place one night and proceeded to go down on him. As she performed, Jeter put his hand on her head and said "Yeah Jeets, yeah Jeets," as she kept going. I believe it was a soft "yeah Jeets" as opposed to a screaming bumping "YEAH JEETS." But it's close enough. I never knew if it was true, but if someone unrelated has another "Yeah Jeets" story, it is gaining some validity to me.
http://deadspin.com/derek-jeter-gossip-we-desperately-want-to-believe-1466653210

True? Who knows. But to act like he's some saint of a guy off the field is kind of funny to me.

He has really good career numbers and performed well in the playoffs. I do respect him as a player for that.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.