***Official Derek Jeter Immortalization Weekend***

3,269 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ClickClack
CoachRTM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think I'm going to be nauseous. Potentially one of the most overrated baseball players of all time, and that's coming from someone who thinks he should be in the Hall of Fame.

I'm pretty sure I would like the guy if the sports media didn't act like he was some kind of God-like figure.
Farmer1906
AG
He absolutely is. He really had 2 great seasons the rest was decent to good for the rest. If he played his career in San Diego or Miami no one would give him half the credit/love he gets.
Corporal Punishment
AG
No love for the Yankees here and really loathe the Jeter hype machine but I'll say this...

He's one of only three players to go on to a 200 hit season after already collecting 3000. Think about that. He got to 3000 and was still rolling...not just some broken down veteran.

Oh, the other two guys that accomplished that? Cobb and Rose. That's remarkable.

Now, back to hating the Yankees...
TXAggie2011
AG
Oh boy
Ag_07
AG
I hate the Yankees as much as any of you but I'm a huge Jeter fan.

Dude was awesome and a joy to watch. Plus he has 5 rings so that goes a pretty good ways.

Long live The Captain
titanmaster_race
also, not a massive d bag like a rod
CampingAg
AG
The dude played 19 full seasons, hit .300+ in 11 of them, and if you take out his first and last seasons, never hit below .270. All of this while anchoring the top of the lineup for a dynasty, and never getting into trouble on or off the field.

I don't like the Yankees either, but that's gonna get you plenty of notoriety anywhere you go. Hard to get that upset about it.
pnsagdad
I dont think I can ever consider someone who is in the 3,000 club "overrated"
corleoneAg99
AG
I think he was pretty good...just overexposed because he played for NYY.

If your career is defined as "almost as good as Cal Ripken, Jr."....that's not the worst thing in the world.
Farmer1906
AG
pnsagdad said:

I dont think I can ever consider someone who is in the 3,000 club "overrated"
Well if you consider Jeter as good as say Barry Bonds or A-Rod then I'd say he's overrated.
CorpsAg11
AG
I like the guy as a person but ESPNs eternal boner for the guy makes me sour towards him.

Also funny how the public views him as a defensive wizard (thank you ESPN) when he was statistically below avg with the glove...
wangus12
AG
The real question is who want to play for the Yankees when they've seemingly retired every number on the roster. They'll be wearing letters on the jersey soon.
Say Chowdah
AG
AllThings12thMan said:

I don't like the Yankees either, but that's gonna get you plenty of notoriety anywhere you go. Hard to get that upset about it.

Ichiro is better defensively. Equally as good a hitter and he's no where close to the hype that Jeter has.

Seriously, Jeter could lead off an inning with a walk and then the next two get on base and then you see a grand slam walk off and the next morning's headlines read "Jeter's late game heroics spark Yankees victory!"

There is no way Jeter is "Jeter" if he played in Kansas City or Milwaukee or Tampa Bay or Rangers or or or or.

If he played for the Sox, he'd still be Jeter but not as good. Fenway isn't as forgiving a place to hit in as Yankee Stadium.
Mike Elko
AG
Aside from his 3,000th hit (HR to left), I'm still waiting for him to pull the ball. If he hadn't played for the Yankees, he wouldn't be so revered. The Jeter love was far overdone during his career, and definitely after. Heck of a player, but by no means a baseball god.
pnsagdad
AustinAg2012 said:

Aside from his 3,000th hit (HR to left), I'm still waiting for him to pull the ball. If he hadn't played for the Yankees, he wouldn't be so revered. The Jeter love was far overdone during his career, and definitely after. Heck of a player, but by no means a baseball god.

Biggie was a god in Houston. We did the same with retiring his jersey. Was just not plastered all over ESPN
PatAg
AG
If you are a watching a Yankees broadcast, then it would be fine...but if Im watching the rangers and see Jeter bull**** during the game Ill be pissed.
W
AG
I'm not a big "WAR" stat guy...but heard on the radio today...

Jeter's career WAR is only 2 points higher than Scott Rolen's. And 3 points behind Lou Whitaker's
W
AG
did any teams give Biggio a farewell gift in his final season besides the Mets? (because he was born and raised on Long Island)
CorpsAg11
AG
W said:

I'm not a big "WAR" stat guy...but heard on the radio today...

Jeter's career WAR is only 2 points higher than Scott Rolen's. And 3 points behind Lou Whitaker's

Yep, Bagwell had a higher career WAR in 5 less seasons. Jeter got the full advantage of east coast bias.
Say Chowdah
AG
PatAg said:

If you are a watching a Yankees broadcast, then it would be fine...but if Im watching the rangers and see Jeter bull**** during the game Ill be pissed.

This is fair. But you know it will.

I could see the Sox doing something - rivalry and all that. But other teams doing it seems overkill.
threeanout
AG
Greatest Yankee shortstop ever and depending on which WAR numbers you look at only Honus Wagner and Cal Ripken had higher numbers for any shortstop to ever play the game.
BMX Bandit
Properly rated
DallasAg 94
Andrus - Born Aug 26, 1988. 28yr 261d. Through last year, his 27th birthday - 2016.
Jeter - Born June 26, 1974. Through the year of his 27th birthday - 2001.

Andrus Career: 1,221 Games, 1,266 H, 207 Doubles, 37 Triples, 35 HRs, 241 SB
Jeter Career: 936 Games, 1,199 H, 188 Doubles, 38 Triples, 99 HRs, 135 SB

I'll catch back up after the season.
threeanout
AG
Elvis' WAR numbers are about 50 points behind Jeter's.
DallasAg 94
threeanout said:

Elvis' WAR numbers are about 50 points behind Jeter's.
Well, Jeter did have players like Soriano, Giambi, A-Rod, Sheffield, Abreu hitting after him.

Do you think Jeter was an average, above average or below average defensive SS?

He was very good. For sure. He put up very good numbers, well past his prime.

He won MANY games. But, some perspective ensures players like Clemens, Pettitte, et al deserve some credit.

Nobody thinks Jeter took and thus benefited from taking PEDs, but he certainly benefited from the HUGE (pun intended) number of players hitting behind him.

While with the Rangers, A-Rod tested for 2 PEDs in 2003, and MLB allowed him to continue to play and receive the MVP. He then went to the Yankees in 2004 where he hit basically 35HRs/.300 for the next 7 years. Giambi during that time was banging out 30 HRs/.270.

Add Gary Sheffield and his 35HRs/.290, and Soriano with 35HRs/.280.

You think Jeter got some pitches to hit? Absolutely. But, nothing about his numbers indicate he is a Baseball God beyond his 3,465 Hits.
_lefraud_
AG
I'm not a Yankee fan, or a Jeter fan, but his intangibles, especially for a guy playing in NY, are unmatched, and he did it for almost 20 years, and produced in WS. I have learned to appreciate him over time. Sure he's been overexposed, and maybe at times, overrated. But again, he did it in the spotlight, stayed clean, and carried himself with class the entire way.

And oh yea, the amount of ass he has pulled will perhaps never be matched.
Street_Cred_Norm
I hate the Yankees but met Jeter here in Dallas a couple of years ago. The guy could not have been any nicer to a spare like me. Will always appreciate that.
DallasAg 94
_lefraud_ said:

And oh yea, the amount of ass he has pulled will perhaps never be matched.
Wilt Chamberlain may have an opinion to that.

Let's say Wilt didn't start sleeping with women, until he was 10. With death at 63, he'd have had 53 years to handle 20,000 women... That's about one woman every day. Not counting whether he banged them more than once.

I'll admit... even I have slowed my desire as I approach 50. It is one thing to be sexually active in your '60s... but to still average a new woman per day is quite impressive!
Farmer1906
AG
Stros decided to put on show for overrated ass Jeter.
JJxvi
AG
If the Astros had drafted Jeter, he would have been the one McClane/Hunsicker etc chose not to re-sign in FA.
Sex Panther
AG
Jeter is a God and everything great about sports. Lol at anyone who hates on him just because he's so good at life.
CorpsAg11
AG
Jeter's greatest accomplishment is still being alive despite plowing his way through NYC genitals-first all those years
78669AG
Jesus some of y'all are stupid
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I am not going to get in the pissing match over Jeter, but this is one of the best baseball plays I have ever seen.

CorpsAg11
AG
I still think that ball gets there faster if Jeter never touches it...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.