Orioles pitcher ejected for a 77 MPH curve ball

2,920 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Say Chowdah
Gigemags382
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I'm so fed up with the continuous incompetence of referees across all sports. I don't care one bit for either of these teams, but this is freaking ridiculous. I'm aware of the issues between these two teams over the last few days. But this umpire should never see the ball field again. Seriously, how do these people keep their jobs? This crap happens over and over and over again in every freaking sport. How does someone this clueless reach the highest level in their field?
RangerRick9211
AG
Slider, not curve.

But still ridiculous.
astros4545
AG
If I wanted to throw at someone and not get ejected

I would throw a breaking ball too
Gigemags382
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Slider, not curve.

But still ridiculous.
Sorry, never played a minute of baseball in my life. Everyone was calling it a curve, so assumed that's what it was.
Hulla Baller
AG
The pitcher was quoted saying curve ball...just saying
Ag_07
AG
If that's a slider then that's the worst slider in the history of the league.
JJxvi
JJxvi
AG
Ha knew that **** was gonna happen, they didnt warn both dugouts before the game either did they?
Gigemags382
AG
JJxvi said:

Ha knew that **** was gonna happen, they didnt warn both dugouts before the game either did they?
Nope.
Ag_07
AG
I thought they did.

Hell the commissioner had a conference call with the teams prior to the game.
JJxvi
AG
I heard commish talked to each team but they werent gonna warn the dugouts. When I heard that, Im like yeah ****ing right, somebody's getting tossed right away no matter how benign.
titanmaster_race
JJxvi said:

No, but both GMs and managers had a conference call with the commissioner the day before, during which it was made clear that any hbp that could possibly be intentional would result in an ejection.

That being said, he knew he was going to get ejected if he threw at somebody, so I highly doubt he beans someone with a curve in the butt as opposed to a fastball in the back.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Especially so early in the game. I think it was their catcher I saw being interviewed that said that ejection could have effects for the next five to six days since they had to burn up bullpen guys for 8 innings. Maybe a little exaggeration and his part but it's a fair point.
Gigemags382
AG
You guys are as clueless as that umpire. So you're telling me that he KNEW he was going to get ejected for ANY hbp, so he threw a 77 MPH curve at his butt? This is freaking absurd.
JJxvi
AG
He ****ed up and got kicked out of the game by an ump who may as well be a robot, decision was already made.
Phil Garner
RangerRick9211 said:

Slider, not curve.

But still ridiculous.

Slow down there quick trigger...that's a curve.
titanmaster_race
JJxvi said:

He ****ed up and got kicked out of the game by an ump who may as well be a robot, decision was already made.
BowSowy
AG
GiGeMaGs11 said:

I'm so fed up with the continuous incompetence of referees across all sports. I don't care one bit for either of these teams, but this is freaking ridiculous. I'm aware of the issues between these two teams over the last few days. But this umpire should never see the ball field again. Seriously, how do these people keep their jobs? This crap happens over and over and over again in every freaking sport. How does someone this clueless reach the highest level in their field?
I agree, it was a bad/dumb call but this is a little extreme. Calm down there, skippy
Quincey P. Morris
AG
GiGeMaGs11 said:

You guys are as clueless as that umpire. So you're telling me that he KNEW he was going to get ejected for ANY hbp, so he threw a 77 MPH curve at his butt? This is freaking absurd.

Who is clueless? I don't think anyone here seriously suggested he intentionally threw at the guy with a breaking ball. Think you may have misread something.
Squirrel Master
AG
This thread is dumb. The commish gave both teams warnings before the game. Pretty unprecedented, but that's how badly the league felt about what was going on. Any HBP, regardless of perceived intent, was going to result in an ejection. If Gausman didn't want that to happen, his teammate shouldn't have made national news spewing f-bombs the day before. And I get why Machado was mad, and he deserved to be, but the conference call with the commish doesn't happen if his rant to reporters isn't leading off sportscenter.
W
AG
JJxvi said:

that's right. Because of what happened the past couple of weeks...the first pitcher to hit a batter was going to be ejected...even if he had rolled the ball up to the plate.

there were no more hit batters the rest of the game
JJxvi
AG
The umpire should have also warned both teams before the game no matter what the commissioners office may have said. It should have been clear from the man who would be making the decision that he would be ejecting for anything, trying to play the game without doing that still gives the impression that he's gonna think about things like a curveball getting away.
Squirrel Master
AG
JJxvi said:

The umpire should have also warned both teams before the game no matter what the commissioners office may have said. It should have been clear from the man who would be making the decision that he would be ejecting for anything, trying to play the game without doing that still gives the impression that he's gonna think about things like a curveball getting away.
John Farrell was telling reporters before the game about the call and how it was surreal and that he'd never been a part of anything like that before. Any player that didn't get the message from that call, it's on them. No need to point fingers anywhere else.
CampingAg
AG
That's horrendous. And FWIW, even if teams had been warned, it's not an auto-ejection for a HBP. Ump still has every right to have common sense and say "hey that was a curveball, probably not intentional. I'm not running anyone."
corleoneAg99
AG
Ump show. Plain and simple. Also the Red Sox are a communist regime.
Furlock Bones
AG
Ump absolutely did the right thing. Pitcher hit him exactly where he wanted to and figured he could get away with it because it was a "got loose" breaking ball.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's a rather sad troll attempt.
Phil Garner
Furlock Bones said:

Ump absolutely did the right thing. Pitcher hit him exactly where he wanted to and figured he could get away with it because it was a "got loose" breaking ball.
77 mph curve is not sending a message. It was not on purpose. 77 mph isn't even a decent high school fastball.

Getting even with a 77 mph pitch is like a right handed enforcer in hockey purposefully punching with his left hand. Pointless.

If you peg a guy you make it count. It's meant to piss him off. His first thought shouldn't be to thank you for giving him a free base.
Say Chowdah
AG
titanmaster_race said:

JJxvi said:

No, but both GMs and managers had a conference call with the commissioner the day before, during which it was made clear that any hbp that could possibly be intentional would result in an ejection.

That being said, he knew he was going to get ejected if he threw at somebody, so I highly doubt he beans someone with a curve in the butt as opposed to a fastball in the back.
Even though both clubs were warned via the conference call and the umpires were issued marching orders, the umps on the ground can exercise judgment and NOT toss someone.

As was said earlier, if I wanted to throw at someone an avoid getting tossed, 77 mph breaking pitch that doesn't break is the way to go.

Edit: Not arguing he should have been tossed or if it was intentional or not, but the arguments are as cut and dry. Also the UMPS are on high fuse here as this series has been nothing but bad news from the umps standpoint.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.