Red's player picked off at third base after walk

1,828 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jimmie Dimmick
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody else seen the video of the Red's player getting picked off on Friday. He got walked to third base, took a step past the bag towards home and the Cardinal's catcher threw behind him. If I had been the manager I would have given him feedback like the Tom Hank's character in "A League of Their Own". Other examples of good feedback would be Billy Martin and Earl Weaver.
The Anchor
AG
I saw it. Molina picked him off. It was hilarious.
Twelfthman
AG
Don't sleep on the bases with Yadi behind the plate.
cdowl38
AG
Here it is!
titanmaster_race
wow
PatAg
AG
What's the 3rd base coach doing there too?
Jimmie Dimmick
Many, many years ago when I was in 6th or 7th grade, my coach taught me (as a pitcher) to start throwing over to 1st base after a walk - do it just as the player is arriving at the base while the 1B casually hangs out near the bag. We routinely picked off players that as a matter of habit would immediately take a step off the bag after arriving. Threw out a number of kids that way over the next couple of years.

Only problem was that on occasion, it worked so well that we caught the umps sleeping too. So they'd miss seeing it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.