***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,312,146 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Then in 80's sitting through a 22 inning game against these Dodgers.

Hey I was at that game! 12 years old. Rafael Ramirez FTW. One of my fonder memories of time spent with my Dad. After the game we couldn't find our car for some reason in the parking lot for an hour...don't think we got home until like 4am.
Teddy Perkins
AG
ClickClack said:

So should we be worried about a "slick" world series ball affecting Verlander's ability to throw an effective slider?
I definitely think there is some concern but if anyone can adapt to it, I trust in Verlander.

Historic World Series Home Run Rate may be Result of Slicker Baseballs

Quote:

Said Houston pitcher Justin Verlander, "The World Series ball is slicker. No doubt. I'm telling you, we're in here signing [World Series] balls before the game, and it's hard to get the ink on the ball sometimes. You know when you sign a receipt at Starbucks, and if you don't hold the paper down with your hand, the pen just slides across the paper and the ink doesn't stick to it? That's what it's like sometimes trying to sign these balls. That's how slick the leather is.

"It's different. I noticed it especially throwing a slider. It didn't feel the same. The home run I gave up to [Joc] Pederson was a slider."

Verlander threw 17 sliders in Game 2 and obtained only one swing and miss on the pitch. It equaled the fewest swings and misses on his slider for any of his 36 starts this year of more than two innings.
BigPuma
AG
ClickClack said:

75AG said:

astros4545 said:

75AG said:

jkag89 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CT75 said:

ECSwitching gears a bit....I have followed this franchise since their inception in '62; however, lost touch some when MMP was first opened. Questions:

1) wasn't there a hill or some weird built in anomaly in deep center when the park first opened?
2) when was it removed and why?
Yes, there was a hill with a flag in play. It was a stupid 436.
It was removed this year because they wanted to fix it up (more rev) and get rid of that stupid deep center that was hurting the team.
Both the flag pole in play and the silly hill were features found in old long gone parks. Of course these features in the old parks were due to the fact of fitting a park into available space while putting them into MM was just gimmicky.
Like the stupid train. I was hoping Crane would junk that toy.

**** you
What do you have against Bobby Dynamite?!?!?!?

That guy has worked for this just as hard as all the players
I love Bobby Dynamite! I love Orbit. I loved Chester Charge! I loved those astronaut grounds keepers! And the usherettes with Astrodome-looking hats! I just think the train is cheesy.

I think you're cheesy and we should get rid of you.
To the pit of misery! Dilly Dilly!
k20dub
AG
Finally caught up on this thread.

Went to the game last night with my dad. Like everyone else has already said...best game I've ever seen. I was also at the super bowl with my dad in February and was on the field for Bama game in 2012. This tops them all. One more baby
irish pete ag06
AG
k20dub said:

Finally caught up on this thread.

Went to the game last night with my dad. Like everyone else has already said...best game I've ever seen. I was also at the super bowl with my dad in February and was on the field for Bama game in 2012. This tops them all. One more baby
Can I be your friend?
JABQ04
AG
saltydog09 said:

HossAg said:

Anyone know what Alex Bergman dips?

Copenhagen Long Cut. The only choice

Copenhagen Snuff. It's like dip, but for men
saltydog13
AG
Was going to put "or Snuff"
Teddy Perkins
AG
The slick balls could also explain why Giles has been terrible. /ducks in corner awaiting an onslaught

Quote:

No pitcher is having a worse time with his slider lately than Houston closer Ken Giles. During the regular season, Giles threw his slider 47 percent of the time and held hitters to a .133 batting average with it. But the pitch has been so unreliable in the postseason that Giles threw only two sliders among his eight pitches in Game 4 both of them balls. Entering a 1-1 game to start the ninth inning, Giles faced three batters and retired none of them. He was charged with three runs and the loss.

During the regular season Giles threw his slider out of the strike zone 51 percent of the time. In the postseason he has missed with that pitch a whopping 74 percent of the time, including 75 percent in the World Series (9 of 12). Able to eliminate the slider, Dodgers hitters are sitting on his fastball and teeing off on it. They are hitting .800 against his fastball (4-for-5), with all of those hits coming on hitters' counts or first pitches (2-1, 3-1, 1-0 and 0-0).

Game 4 actually was a 1-0 pitchers' duel through six innings between Morton and Alex Wood. Neither pitcher throws a slider.
irish pete ag06
AG
Revival03 said:

The slick balls could also explain why Giles has been terrible. /ducks in corner awaiting an onslaught

Quote:

No pitcher is having a worse time with his slider lately than Houston closer Ken Giles. During the regular season, Giles threw his slider 47 percent of the time and held hitters to a .133 batting average with it. But the pitch has been so unreliable in the postseason that Giles threw only two sliders among his eight pitches in Game 4 both of them balls. Entering a 1-1 game to start the ninth inning, Giles faced three batters and retired none of them. He was charged with three runs and the loss.

During the regular season Giles threw his slider out of the strike zone 51 percent of the time. In the postseason he has missed with that pitch a whopping 74 percent of the time, including 75 percent in the World Series (9 of 12). Able to eliminate the slider, Dodgers hitters are sitting on his fastball and teeing off on it. They are hitting .800 against his fastball (4-for-5), with all of those hits coming on hitters' counts or first pitches (2-1, 3-1, 1-0 and 0-0).

Game 4 actually was a 1-0 pitchers' duel through six innings between Morton and Alex Wood. Neither pitcher throws a slider.

100% this. Giles is your typical 2 pitch closer who uses the slider as a pitch that makes his fastball play up. You take away his slider and he's just another 99 mph flat fastball guy.

Which is why I technically prefer closers who throw moving fastballs, but it's whatever.
mwm
Ten down. One to go.
coastalAg
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Revival03 said:

Quote:

100% this. Giles is your typical 2 pitch closer who uses the slider as a pitch that makes his fastball play up. You take away his slider and he's just another 99 mph flat fastball guy.

Which is why I technically prefer closers who throw moving fastballs, but it's whatever.
Like your future closer Lance McCullers!

/also ducks in the corner
bullard21k
AG
Not that it matters but Steve sparks was just on 790 and matt Thomas asked if it's the 9th inning and you need 3 outs to win a World Series who do you go with....Steve interrupted him before he could even finish the question and said lance mcculers zero doubt.

I just hope we are in that spot to close it down and have an actual decision to make
aTm2004
AG
FYI...replay currently on MLB Network.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Ecce Homo
Also, people need to realize that a 98 mph fastball just isn't that impressive anymore. I mean you see that game in and game out; if Verlander or Morton are pitching you're seeing a 98 mph pitch in the 7th inning with inches of lateral movement. Giles' 99 straight down the pipe looks like a meatball.
Mr.Ackar07
Replay also posted to Youtube:

Beau Bevers
AG
Ecce Homo said:

Also, people need to realize that a 98 mph fastball just isn't that impressive anymore. I mean you see that game in and game out; if Verlander or Morton are pitching you're seeing a 98 mph pitch in the 7th inning with inches of lateral movement. Giles' 99 straight down the pipe looks like a meatball.
Exactly! Giles's slider is his out pitch, his fastball is his show pitch. 100 mph a nice show pitch to have, but it's not how he gets batters out.
Ecce Homo
ASTROS -280 to win the world series according to my sports book right now. That's a little less than 75% odds the 'stros win the world series.
HotardAg07
AG
McCullers should come in after Verlander and finish the game in Game 6. Has to.

Roll with Morton in Game 7 and then just patchwork the rest of the guys to the end.
TXAG14
Holy hell! That has to be all Verlander.
Drew_Hill
So our 4th starter on short rest would be the starting pitcher for Game 7? That doesn't sound fun.
JDUB08AG
AG
Drew_Hill said:

So our 4th starter on short rest would be the starting pitcher for Game 7? That doesn't sound fun.

4 days rest isn't super worriesome. Then you have Keuchel and peacock on 3 days rest as well
coastalAg
AG
Nothing about Game 7 will be fun for either side which is why we should sell out to finish it tomorrow if we are in position. If we have a lead and Verlander cant go any longer, I want McCullers with the ball.
JW_TXAG13
AG
Went back and read through the first couple of pages to remember where this season started.

Hard to believe we are 27 outs away. Let's finish this **** tomorrow boys.
ClickClack
AG
MGM has Astros -330 Dodgers +260
Drew_Hill
WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

4 days rest isn't super worriesome. Then you have Keuchel and peacock on 3 days rest as well
3 days for Morton and 2 for Keuchel/Peacock.
ClickClack
AG
For game 6 alone, MGM has Astros -120
Ecce Homo
TXAG14 said:

Holy hell! That has to be all Verlander.
Actually it's weird; the money line for the game is only about -120 for Tuesday. It would seem it's just the difficulty of winning two in a row with Kershaw gone.
JDUB08AG
AG
Drew_Hill said:

WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...that's 4 days rest for Morton. Others are 1 behind him.
Drew_Hill
WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...that's 4 days rest for Morton. Others are 1 behind him.
How is he resting on Wednesday if he is pitching on Wednesday?
JDUB08AG
AG
Drew_Hill said:

WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

He isn't pitching in the morning. He is technically getting 3 days and 22 hours of rest. Can somebody sanity check me? Starting to make me question myself lol
backintexas2013
AG
ClickClack said:

MGM has Astros -330 Dodgers +260

Go put $300 on the Dodgers. Stros win you are happy. They lose you have $780 to blow at cheetahs to drown away your sorrows.
Drew_Hill
WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

He isn't pitching in the morning. He is technically getting 3 days and 22 hours of rest.
Ha ok. In baseball if you pitch on Saturday and then on Wednesday it is considered 3 days rest which is short rest. Its pretty simple.
Cromagnum
AG
75AG said:

ClickClack said:

75AG said:

astros4545 said:

75AG said:

jkag89 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CT75 said:

EEECSwitching gears a bit....I have followed this franchise since their inception in '62; however, lost touch some when MMP was first opened. Questions:

1) wasn't there a hill or some weird built in anomaly in deep center when the park first opened?
2) when was it removed and why?
Yes, there was a hill with a flag in play. It was a stupid 436.
It was removed this year because they wanted to fix it up (more rev) and get rid of that stupid deep center that was hurting the team.
Both the flag pole in play and the silly hill were features found in old long gone parks. Of course these features in the old parks were due to the fact of fitting a park into available space while putting them into MM was just gimmicky.
Like the stupid train. I was hoping Crane would junk that toy.

**** you
What do you have against Bobby Dynamite?!?!?!?

That guy has worked for this just as hard as all the players
I love Bobby Dynamite! I love Orbit. I loved Chester Charge! I loved those astronaut grounds keepers! And the usherettes with Astrodome-looking hats! I just think the train is cheesy.

I think you're cheesy and we should get rid of you.
Been a 'stros fan since the '45's. You can't get rid of me. But the train is still cheesy. But ****mthe train discusssion. We win this thing tomorrow night!!!

You realize Minutemade Park was built where Union Station was right?
JDUB08AG
AG
Drew_Hill said:

WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

WelchAg said:

Drew_Hill said:

He isn't pitching in the morning. He is technically getting 3 days and 22 hours of rest.
Ha ok. In baseball if you pitch on Saturday and then on Wednesday it is considered 3 days rest which is short rest. Its pretty simple.
I always took 3 days rest to mean we skip 2 guys in the rotation. Man following baseball my whole life and have I seriously been wrong on this???
Satellite of Love
Stop copying the Cubs!!!!!
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
First Page Last Page
Page 1519 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.