***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,322,220 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Nuke LaLoosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
iBrad said:

It will be interesting to see how tomorrow goes. Hill has gone 4 and 5 innings in his two postseason starts, throwing right at 80 pitches in both. The Dodgers were down a run in both when he exited. Odds are we see more of their pen tomorrow.

This. Hill isn't a world beater by any means. He is a damn good baseball player but he isn't Kershaw. We will absolutely see their pen tomorrow.

Tomorrow isn't mathematically a must win, but it's damn near a must win in terms of how this series plays out.

I may have wanted something more in my life than to win this series, but I damn sure can't remember what that thing is.
bearkatag15
AG
W
AG
Springer was 3 for 26 in the ALCS.

only scored 1 run in 30 plate appearances
Ag_07
AG
I like the idea of batting Reddick 9 and the pitcher 8.

I like having that bat to roll the lineup over and be there to hit in anything the pitcher may be bunting into scoring position and maybe take some pressure off Springer.
bearkatag15
AG
Verlander is in a pretty bad slump himself.. only 4 hits in his last 43 ABs.... He reallly needs to figure it out before tomorrow...

EDIT: He does have 10 successful sacrifice hits though so that is a plus.

EDIT again: He is 1 for 6 this year with an RBI with a .167 BA...
Frok
AG
Nevermind, I'm dumb.
bullard21k
AG
jopatura said:

Instead of moving Springer, I wonder if the pitcher bats 8th tomorrow. Drop Reddick, who seemed to be at least seeing the ball decently, to 9th. Gives Springer some protection, keeps him in the lead off spot. Unconventional but our crazy team could pull it off.

This is also getting to a point where somebody needs to go beyond the "hey let's settle down and relax" talk. Somebody needs to let him know that this constant swinging out of your shoes to where you are nearly falling over BS on 2-0 sliders that are a foot outside is getting ridiculous. There gets a point to where you are trying too hard to help your team Vs being determental to the lineup especially as the leadoff table setter.

He's crossing that line. If you are going to stick with him I like the idea of moving him down in the lineup. Either way I just want him to stop trying to murder every pitch and hit a 900 foot homer. Just get on base buddy
bearkatag15
AG
Wow...

jopatura
AG
Gurriel batting leadoff would be interesting, but I'm not sure that's an experiment I want to try in the World Series. Altuve is a more traditional leadoff man, but he nor Correa are moving anywhere in the lineup. Springer really just needs to man up the rest of the series. There's not really a solid option to move him.
lead
bearkatag15 said:

Wow...

Well that's a meaningless stat.
Frok
AG
We never had a runner in scoring position tonight
bearkatag15
AG
good point....

not sure that helps much... but good point none the less.
Bonfired
AG
Springer was at his best this season when he was taking the ball up the middle and to right field. I think his power numbers earlier in the season have seduced him, and he's pulling off the ball too much with swinging so hard. The golden sombrero tonight is the dinglebrrry on top of a turd sundae.

He's not alone in his struggles, to be fair. Reddick, while he got a hit tonight, has been in a bad slump, too.

Keuchel made one more bad pitch than Kershaw, and it was costly. Go do your thing, Justin. Getting back home even would be just fine. It was my hope going in.
agcat
AG
Just one game and we faced the best in baseball. Tomorrow is another day with our best going. As far as Springer goes he hasn't hit since the All star game. Not even remotely the same player he was the first half of the season. I don't know why anyone would necessarily be surprised by his miserable performance tonight. Can't say i've Ever seen a lead off hitter whiff four straight times.
diehard03
Quote:

Can't say i've Ever seen a lead off hitter whiff four straight times.

We had the Kyle Schwarber experiment for awhile. It was...something.
diehard03
His last AB wasn't bad. That was a nasty pitch for the called 3rd strike.
agcat
AG
In the late 60s the Cubs had a leadoff hitter named Adolfo Phillips who used to whiff a lot. I think he struck out like 140 or 150 Times one year. Don't ever remember him looking any more helpless than Springer looked tonight, however.
Ag12thman
AG
Just forget this one and move on. Astros can do this. Verlander is a damn good starting place. We win tomorrow night.
bearkatag15
AG

Maybin, Altuve, Reddick and Beltran have good numbers vs Hill... Wonder if Maybe gets a start over Marwin?
Ecce Homo
agcat said:

Just one game and we faced the best in baseball. Tomorrow is another day with our best going. As far as Springer goes he hasn't hit since the All star game. Not even remotely the same player he was the first half of the season. I don't know why anyone would necessarily be surprised by his miserable performance tonight. Can't say i've Ever seen a lead off hitter whiff four straight times.

bearkatag15
AG
Verlander faced LA this year with the Tigers....

This game was on Aug 20th and the HR was vs Granderson who obviously isn't on the Dodgers roster.
titanmaster_race
diehard03 said:

His last AB wasn't bad. That was a nasty pitch for the called 3rd strike.

It was a fastball
Ags #1
AG
Why do people keep wanting maybin over marwin???? F that noise
bearkatag15
AG
Marwin looks like dog s**t vs lefties. If Maybin has a history of success vs a specific pitcher, you should absolutely give him the start over Marwin and then bring Marwin in after they pull the starter...
Ags #1
AG
So let's bench our leading rbi hitter? For maybin?
bearkatag15
AG
Marwin's splits:

He is a completely different player vs left handed pitchers this year. Yes I would bench him tomorrow for a player that has had more success vs that pitcher.

EDIT: Here are his career playoff stats.... just. not. good.

bullard21k
AG
Marwin could have had 250 rbis in the regular season and it wouldn't change 1 iota that he is CURRENTLY struggling mightily at the plate and has been doing so for the past what 8-9 games? This is the World Series win or go home.

If hinch feels like player X gives our TEAM a better shot of winning game 2 by sitting Marwin then why would we questio it? Do whatever you need to do to get a win and move on.

agproducer
AG
Wow. I usually keep up with this thread during the games, but couldn't tonight.

I have a few observations:

There are a ton of "fans" coming out of the woodwork and posting. It seems like many of them just casually watch baseball and don't really understand the intricacies of the sport. I bed to get stars for the ignore feature.

Also, move Springer?! Are y'all high? He's had a rough go of it lately and needs to settle down a bit, but you can't move Altuve or Correa. They are needed for RBI opportunities. I hope George turns it around. Marwin's struggles are also puzzling. It seems like he isn't working the count as much and is swinging at too much out of the zone. It's like he's revered back to old Marwin. I'd be in favor of playing Maybin in a more favorable matchup.

This have want about the Astros offense sucking, it was all about Kershaw. He's a multiple Cy Young winner, starting at home. Also, Astros tend to have trouble with hard throwing lefties. Remember the problems with Paxton on Seattle? Keuchel pitched well. The Dodgers just hammered his two mistakes.

Verlander goes tomorrow. LA used their ace. We used one of our two. I like the matchup. All of LA's pitchers, save Kershaw, are hittable. Devo also looked decent tonight. All we need really is a split in SoCal.

The crowd at Chavez Ravine sucks. They appear to be disinterested. MMP will rock when the Astros get back home.

Joe Buck still sucks. He'll never be his dad. He did seem more fair tonight.

Overall, we still got this! People need to chill the **** out. Sometimes you get beat. They executed tonight on the two mistakes. The Astros capitalize on one.

So, for everyone complaining, settle down. This was just game one. There is more baseball to be played, and for the love of God, try to enjoy the ride.

Philip J Fry
AG

Proudly wore my orange and blue today. Went up against their number one and hung in there. We just need to win 1 out of 4 in LA and hold serve at home. Hold on to your butts!
BTKAG97
AG
I think the Astros are in a great place right now! They will win game 2 going back to Houston! Guaranteed and Verlander approved!!!
BMX Bandit
Buck Compton said:

I really question sometimes if people that bleed everywhere even like watching baseball or the Astros. I understand getting a little frustrated, but you have to enjoy the good times and this postseason has had a ton of them.

Especially in baseball, you can't win them all. Makes me wonder if a bunch of people are just football fans following along because they're winning.

With that, I'm out. It's 4:00 a.m. here in London and I am headed to the airport now to hom on a flight back to Boston, work two days, and be back in Texas for the games this weekend. See you guys tomorrow to BTHO the Dodgers.
for some people, life is about being miserable and constantly complaining.

Astros were a very large underdog Game 1. Haven't been anywhere close to being that big a dog since April against Kluber. Stealing a win would have been great, but it was not likely.

The lost a game to the best pitcher in baseball and the sky is suddenly falling.

safe travels!
Schrute
It's a new day...

cone
AG
I agree with Buck

this has been a great year!

we should be happy and excited with all they've accomplished so far. everything else is just gravy at this point!
Goose
AG
cone said:

I agree with Buck

this has been a great year!

we should be happy and excited with all they've accomplished so far. everything else is just gravy at this point!
Yeah, but I want more gravy!
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

Also, move Springer?! Are y'all high? He's had a rough go of it lately and needs to settle down a bit, but you can't move Altuve or Correa. They are needed for RBI opportunities.

Puleeze. At what point would it not require being high to move him? Game 7 of the WS and still no hits from springer?

What you need from lead off hitters, George is providing 0 of and has been doing so pretty much all of the post season.

I've already posted articles showing statistically that Tuve is actually better for a lead off.
7nine
First Page Last Page
Page 1267 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.