***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,311,212 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
bullard21k
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So what possible roster changes will we see?

I guess probably not many but wonder if hinch is considering clippard instead of anyone else in the bullpen?

bearkatag15
AG
Took a look at Keuchel and Kershaw's stats vs the HP umpire for tomorrow.... I'm not sure when these games took place for each pitcher, but it looks like there could be a lot of runs scored...

EDIT:

Here were Kershaw's specific games:

and Keuchel's:
Frok
AG
There was talk of working out Marisnick but if he can't bat then I wouldn't do it. We need some extra bench players for games in LA to pinch hit.

I'm predicting Gregersuck gets left off and Tyler White comes back on.
NotGibbs
bullard21k said:

I guess probably not many but wonder if hinch is considering clippard instead of anyone else in the bullpen?

I think the only possible changes would be Clippard instead of McHugh (not likely) and Marisnic instead of Maybin (depending on Marisnic's status)
astros4545
AG
I think Marisnick would replace Fisher instead of Maybin

But then again, maybe not

Agree though that if Jake can't swing the bat then he can't be on the roster, which sucks cause Big Fudge deserves it
bullard21k
AG
NotGibbs said:

bullard21k said:

I think the only possible changes would be Clippard instead of McHugh (not likely) and Marisnic instead of Maybin (depending on Marisnic's status)

I was thinking clippard over gregerson or lirano but hinch loves gregerson for some reason and lirano is your only left handed arm so I assume those will be a no go.

I understand Jake not being able to bat...but if that hand is good to go with a mit/cast on it...it sure would be nice to have Jake sitting on first base in a 3-3 game in the top of the ninth and no outs. Maybin does fill that role to a degree but Jake just has a knack for swiping bases and pushing the envelope on the base path.
iBrad
AG
If we weren't carrying three catchers, maybe you could add Jake as a defensive replacement/pinch runner. Even then, it's been so long since he's been in a game, I'm not sure the WS is the spot to stick him back out there. And while we'll only have the DH for three games, Gattis/McCann will be pinch hit options when not catching, so it's likely that we'll keep Centeno on the roster.
bullard21k
AG
I see zero chance we don't keep 3 catchers given the DH roles and lack of speed of McCann.

I think fisher and maybin are definitely making the roster so the only way Jake possibly makes the roster is if hinch decides he would rather have him for PR duties over carrying another BP arm in lirano/gregerson etc.

Agreed very slim shot he makes it
iBrad
AG
It's crazy that 8 of the 12 pitchers we had active versus the Yankees either began the year as a starter or spent much of it starting. Only Gregerson, Harris, Devenski, and Giles were in the pen all year. Of those four Gregerson has been the most effective this postseason, although all but Giles have seen very limited action.

Gregerson 2.2 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 0 R, 2 IR, 0 IS
Harris 2 IP, 4 H 1 BB, 1 R, 5 IR, 3 IS
Devenski 3 IP, 5 H, 2 BB, 4 R, 3 IR, 2 IS
Giles 6 IP, 8 H, 3 BB, 5 R, 3 IR, 2 IS

While our offense needs to get back on track, these guys need to rebound, too.
astros4545
AG
3 of the Dodgers 4 starters are lefty pitchers

Does Gattis see a start at catcher one of these games in LA? Or is he stuck on the bench?

Game three at home would be against a Righty Darvish, would he get benched here for Beltran as well?

Really not setting up well for Gattis
bullard21k
AG
Nm
Ag_07
AG
I really don't think we need 3 catchers.

The only reason for that was having both Gattis and McCann in the lineup and risking injury and not having a catcher on the bench.

With 4 games of no DH and 1 of the other 3 against a RHP in Darvish I just don't see a need for a third catcher.

I think if you want Clippard you drop Centeno and if Jake can go you drop Fisher.
spadilly
S
Realistically (and it may not be a popular opinion), there's no reason to carry Beltran. 5 of the 7 games will be against lefties, and with no DH in four of them, there's no reason to use him. Still need him on the bench as an extra coach, just not on the roster.

Also, no sense in carrying 12 pitchers any more either. Put an extra bat on the bench for pinch hitting. We'll need it when a pitcher comes up to bat with runners on in the late innings.
Farmer1906
AG
I 100% want 3 catchers. I want to be able to DH Gattis and pinch run for McCann. Even if it is just once, I want that on the table.
bullard21k
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I 100% want 3 catchers. I want to be able to DH Gattis and pinch run for McCann. Even if it is just once, I want that on the table.

Hinch is rolling with three catchers zero doubt imo.

Not only for the DH situation but for the fact that if McCann happended to get hurt you are completely screwed.

The third catcher is more for emergency and the thousand reasons you can't think of rather than the few reasons you can logically forecast.

Kashchei
AG
There is some SWEET pennant merchandise, but I want to save my $$$ just in case...

Speaking of which, I am one of the biggest BAS posters on here, and my brain is screaming Dodgers in 5 or 6, but my gut is telling me the Stros take it all in 6. This season has just been too magical: epic Twins comeback, Harvey recovery, Verlander signed with seconds to spare, roar back against the Yanks, etc. LAD is the better team, but we definitely have the intangibles right now... I'm preparing myself for the loss because I can't imagine how incredible a championship would be. Houston is beyond due.
astros4545
AG
Who says Dodgers are the better team

agdaddy04
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Looks like I'll finish the year 10-0. Having our 2nd daughter on Thursday so we'll probably be watching games 3 and 4 from the hospital and in think my wife would kill me if I went to game 5.

Well looks like I have a slight update to this. Got home from work this evening and wife tells me she's already arranged for family to come by so I can go to the game on Friday. Talked with her for quite awhile to make sure it wasn't some kind of setup but I don't even know what to say other than I am feeling pretty dang awesome right now.
Frok
AG
Saw the MLB experts all predicted Dodgers in 5-6 games. Not bad to play the underdog.

We need to score early and cause them to pucker.
k20dub
AG
Wife goals AF
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07
AG
I like that we've had two elimination games while those jokers have been cruising through the playoffs and sitting there relaxing for a week.
cone
AG
games 2 and 3 are almost must win to have a legit shot

you at least want two to win one in LA at the end
irish pete ag06
AG
Alright fellas... I want to summon you guys for help.

As you guys may have read a while back, I was able to get tickets to the ALDS game 2 for me and my dad to go. He has MS and is wheel chair bound. He's the reason I'm an Astros fan. We grew up in Ranger country but he never fully switched his allegiances when the Rangers were moved in from up north.

Last Saturday, I was just sitting at my house and considered driving down to the game by myself. I have a friend who works in ticket services for an MLB club, and I had checked with him about game 7 ADA tickets, but there were none available, but I was still considering going. Well I checked stubhub and low and behold there were 2 ADA tickets available. This was like at 11:30 am and we live over 4 hours away. I called my mom and dad and they both were able to go and said "LET'S DO IT." So I bought a single ticket in the section next to the section my parents ADA tickets were in, but I never sat in it. I stood behind my mom and dad the whole game and it was one of the coolest experiences in my life.

So, my ticket guy was able to get me 4 tickets to World Series game 4 in Houston on Saturday night, but once again, these are not ADA tickets. I badly want to be able to take my dad to this game, but I really would like to be able to find someone sitting in the ADA seats nearby and possibly trade with them once we get in the stadium. There is no way my Dad can climb or go down any stairs whatsoever. My dad is a very selfless man who hates having his disability hold anyone else back.

I wondered how these tickets always sold out so quick... My friends in ticketing explained it to me today. He said that ADA tickets are actually available to the general public, but most people don't buy them because they don't want to take away a seat from someone who is actually disabled. He said that the ADA tickets are available to the public because it's against the law to make someone provide evidence of their disability. Ticket brokers know this and usually buy all of the ADA tickets they can to big games, knowing that most non-disabled people won't buy them. Long story, short, this really pisses off my buddy who works in ticketing, but he says its the law and they can't do anything about it.

So... I have 4 tickets... 2 in 2 different parts of the stadium

2017 World Series Home Game 2 (Saturday)

Section 116
Row 32
Seats 19 and 20

Section 424
Row 6
Seats 1 and 2

TL;DR Dad is actually disabled and I'd be willing to pay to switch seats with someone in ADA seats, seats I have are listed above
Mr.Bond
AG
I know a guy with ADA seats unfortunately it's game 5. Sorry man, fingers crossed for you
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Ag_07
AG
Good on ya for getting out and not let your dad's disability stop you from spending time with him.

Unfortunately my seats aren't ADA or I would gladly switch with you.

Good luck! Hope it works out. Wonder if it's worth buying ADA off StubHub then selling your current tickets.
Mr.Bond
AG
Jake from rake farm off the ws roster
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

gambochaman
CFTXAG10
AG
Anyone else flipped through the Astros Snapchat to check out the WS promos?
agdaddy04
AG
That stinks. Was hoping for a miraculous way for him to be on roster.
agdaddy04
AG
New to Snapchat. How do you do that?
mwm
Pete, you're a good guy. Doing whatever it takes to get your dad an opportunity to see a WS game. For his sake, and yours, I hope you are able to find a way. It'll be a memory to cherish for the rest of your lives.
bearkatag15
AG
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1nAKEWPMkqZJL

Astros workout and BP.
CFTXAG10
AG
Add the account "Houston Astros" as a friend and then check out their story
astros4545
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Jake from rake farm off the ws roster

Rosters announced?
First Page Last Page
Page 1236 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.