***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,313,304 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
CSWendt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You realize the Astros pitching is near the top of the league in strikeouts? I'd say they're as good as anyone at putting hitters away
Ag_07
AG
It's not really that we don't strike out a lot of guys but it seems like we allow a lot of 0-2 and 1-2 counts go to waste.

Maybe one of the stat guys can play with the numbers but to me an overwhelming majority for 0-2 and 1-2 counts should result in Ks. I feel like that's not the case with our staff.
CSWendt
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's not really that we don't strike out a lot of guys but it seems like we allow a lot of 0-2 and 1-2 counts go to waste.

Maybe one of the stat guys can play with the numbers but to me an overwhelming majority for 0-2 and 1-2 counts should result in Ks. I feel like that's not the case with our staff.
That's all of baseball. Very rarely do you see lots of 0-2 or 1-2 strikeouts. That's why its common knowledge that a guy who strikes out a lot of batters has a high pitch count. Unless your Clayton Kershaw or somebody it just doesn't happen.
Farmer1906
AG
Astros draft a HS catcher, Nathan Perry.
irish pete ag06
AG
Musgrove's problem is that he comes int the zone too much in my opinion. He hasn't quite figured out the opportune times to nibble and when not to. His stuff isn't quite good enough to get the swings and misses when he needs them with 2 strikes. One of the biggest things that I wish would come back for Joe is his ground ball rate he had in the last year of his minor league career.

Joe feels somewhat similar to Dallas prior to his breakout. You can see him compete and try to grind guys out, but he just gives up a little too much loud contact. Looking at Joe's pitch values, His fastball has been neutral, his slider and cutter have been pretty dang good. His curveball has been hammered.

What's funny is that I looked up Dallas, and his curve ball got hammered his first 2 years of throwing it and he dropped it. I wonder if Joe should just consider throwing that slider only. He hangs that curve too much and it get's crushed.
Farmer1906
AG
We just drafted the masher from Iowa, Jake Adams. He led college baseball in dingers last year.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah maybe that's where I'm wrong in the perception that most 0-2/1-2 counts should end in Ks. Still would be curious to see the this staff's BAA with 2 strikes as opposed to the league's.

And I also notice that Sipp was tagged with 2 more runs last night. His ERA is up to 4.91. Is there really nothing we can do with him?

Also notice that Beltran is stinking it up. In the last 2 weeks he's slashing .167/.216/.354. The fack is he still doing in the 5 spot?
JJxvi
AG
Strikeout rate by each team staff during 2012 through 0-2 and 1-2 counts.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaderssplits.aspx?splitArr=62,65&strgroup=season&statgroup=2&startDate=2017-03-01&endDate=2017-11-01&filter=&position=P&statType=team&autoPt=false&sort=8,1&pg=0
coop-aero-06
AG
JJxvi
AG
Astros are 3rd in Avg against, 2nd in OBP against, and 12 in SLG against through 0-2 and 1-2 counts.
CSWendt
AG
JJxvi said:

Strikeout rate by each team staff during 2012 through 0-2 and 1-2 counts.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaderssplits.aspx?splitArr=62,65&strgroup=season&statgroup=2&startDate=2017-03-01&endDate=2017-11-01&filter=&position=P&statType=team&autoPt=false&sort=8,1&pg=0
Looks like we are one the best teams in the league 0-2 and 1-2
Ag_07
AG
Huh...That is surprising.

Not sure why it seems like we struggle in those situations.

Anyhow interesting stuff. Thanks for providing.
Ag_07
AG
Ag_07 said:

Also notice that Beltran is stinking it up. In the last 2 weeks he's slashing .167/.216/.354. The fack is he still doing in the 5 spot?

And viola!!! Beltran with a day off and McCann in the 5 spot tonight.

Hinch reads this guys
CSWendt
AG
Every time we seem to get pissed at a player or Hinch we have to eat our words. Here's to hoping for some more of that!!!
Farmer1906
AG
And we just picked another college arm. This time a lefty. Texas Tech's Parker Mushinski.
DVC2010
AG
That's called confirmation bias. It's the enemy of intelligent sports discussions everywhere.
irish pete ag06
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BVSnBeNh6ID
Mr.Bond
AG
I hope he doesn't get any whiplash going 0-60 in 3 seconds.......
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

irish pete ag06
AG
Mr.Bond said:

I hope he doesn't get any whiplash going 0-60 in 3 seconds.......

Maybe he inspects the spark plug wire and gets the Rou O treatment. Can you imagine Keuchel throwing 96!
JABQ04
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Soon. #PeacockRedemption

I'll go ahead and say I feel good with Peacock on the mound. He's been pretty good this year and did really well against Texas just over a week ago. He had one ****ty start, but it happens. He knew he sucked, and hoping he's ready to go 6 (hopefully 7) with 8 Ks.
CFTXAG10
AG
I could be off base here but I just thought about something pertaining to the ROOT rebrand. They've been using the ATT logo on the screen all season. In July they will switch the network to AT&T Sports Net. AT&T owns DirecTV. Comcast is only major provider without access to live stream. Coincidence?
ClickClack
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I could be off base here but I just thought about something pertaining to the ROOT rebrand. They've been using the ATT logo on the screen all season. In July they will switch the network to AT&T Sports Net. AT&T owns DirecTV. Comcast is only major provider without access to live stream. Coincidence?

You're just now getting this?
Ag_07
AG
If Peacock doesn't get us at the very least 5 tonight this entire homestand could get real bad.

We've got Martes going tomorrow and who knows what he's got in him. The day off helps some but then it's Boston coming in against a AAA rotation and beat to sheet BP.

It could get ugly quick but a decent outing tonight may kickstart the rebound from the shelacking this BP is taking.
agdaddy04
AG
How much longer is Jake out?
titanmaster_race
Ag_07 said:

If Peacock doesn't get us at the very least 5 tonight this entire homestand could get real bad.

We've got Martes going tomorrow and who knows what he's got in him. The day off helps some but then it's Boston coming in against a AAA rotation and beat to sheet BP.

It could get ugly quick but a decent outing tonight may kickstart the rebound from the shelacking this BP is taking.

yeah, but on 3 days rest after throwing 70 pitches? I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think he goes very deep
irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07
AG
Can he pitch?

For real though where would we have room? Unless we traded Jake.
irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

Can he pitch?

For real though where would we have room? Unless we traded Jake.

Aoki goes on "DL." Fisher is given a chance to be more productive.
shano0603
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Have not kept up with minor leaguers... But these are Derek's stats this year.

.333/.401/.608
16 homers
43 rbi
12 steals
aggiematt235
AG
Anyone else having issues streaming from the MLB at bat app? I'm not seeing the link to watch the local broadcast anymore.
TrillOBrien
AG
2 seconds after they show Springer's hot streak in a graphic on the Rangers' broadcasts, he hit another one out of the park
TXAG14
Boom.
Hulla Baller
AG
Springer dinger!
shano0603
AG
Did anyone else see the updated ASG voting? Altuve, Correa, and Springer all starting.. McCann is in 2nd... There are Astros at every position.in the top 5 of voting.
mwm
"But, but, but doesn't everyone know ratface should be an all-star?"
First Page Last Page
Page 356 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.