***** Official Houston Astros 2017 Season Thread *****

5,313,536 Views | 60281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AstroAggie15
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a crappy game.

I had a feeling this series would get like this. Them coming off a sweep of the Nats and us coming off a lackluster split and beat to shlt.

And holy fck how many times do you need to come out to the mound? You need one more strike with a 5 run lead
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
2 hits tonight. Good job boys.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Honestly, if all of our SP are gonna be made of glass, there's not a point in trading for a SP this year. You need 3 to be present and good in the postseason to win it. I don't trust McCullers to be healthy (track record), and pinched nerves are nothin to fk with.
iBrad
AG
When we head into the all-star break on another 10-game win streak, y'all will be feeling much better. You have to ride out the ebbs and flows. If you win 100, you still lose 62.
Buck Compton
AG
iBrad said:

When we head into the all-star break on another 10-game win streak, y'all will be feeling much better. You have to ride out the ebbs and flows. If you win 100, you still lose 62.

These aren't normal ebbs and flows. Offensively, yes. Our pitching staff should cause serious concern. Not just the SP health, but the cascading effect it's going to have on the bullpen.
k20dub
AG
Nuke LaLoosh said:

Honestly, if all of our SP are gonna be made of glass, there's not a point in trading for a SP this year. You need 3 to be present and good in the postseason to win it. I don't trust McCullers to be healthy (track record), and pinched nerves are nothin to fk with.

Relax.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
k20dub said:

Nuke LaLoosh said:

Relax.

Lol... this is about as relaxed as I get.
Be of good cheer, Gig'Em
cone
AG
you know this isn't a big deal right
maca1028
I really want to put this on the ebbs and flows of a typical MLB season but I can't ever remember a team losing 4 of its SP's in a month. Hopefully a lot of this isn't long term and these guys get back quick.
I'm not really surprised by the slump given the fact that going into the KC series our concerns were adding another quality SP and in turn limiting the bull pen use. Since then the complete opposite has happened. Bottom line, and I'm preaching to the choir here, we need our guys back on the mound. It's nice to have this big cushion in the division but if things spiral out too much that lead can dwindle down quickly.
Does anyone know how many games we were up on the Rangers in 2015 before they came back and took the division?
Ag_07
AG
maca1028 said:

Does anyone know how many games we were up on the Rangers in 2015 before they came back and took the division?

Not a clue but I bet one of them lurking will jump at the opportunity to let you know.
coastalAg
AG
We were up by 2.5 games on the same date in 2015.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/#20150612
Farmer1906
AG
So the race is now on. Who gets to the bigs first.

Forrest Whitley, JB Bukauskas, & Corbin Martin.
coastalAg
AG
Bukauskas seems like the favorite of those three. I have seen some speculation that we could fast track him this year and have him pitch out of the pen in September. His fastball and slider are thought to be that good.
aggiematt235
AG
aggie1906 said:

So the race is now on. Who gets to the bigs first.

Forrest Whitley, JB Bukauskas, & Corbin Martin.
Bukauskas will win that race, but I think Whitley has the highest potential. Maybe not an ace, but a strong second man in the rotation.

Keuchel, McCullers, Martes, Whitley, Musgrove would be a solid rotation if they all reach their potential.
Ag_07
AG
Bit of analysis from Ryan Faegan at Sporting News

Quote:

The Astros get great value at #15 with JB Bukauskas, a polished RHP from North Carolina. He was projected as high as #6 in many mock drafts, but his final start for the Tar Heels was a bit of a disaster in the NCAA Tourney against Davidson. If that's the reason he dropped, well, that's kind of awesome for the Astros. If he advances through the minors as expected, he should be one of the first few players from this draft to make the majors.

Again, great pick for Houston at #15
rosco511
AG
Why do we continue to put the ball anywhere near the strike zone against Odor with 2 strikes? The guy will swing at anything when he has 2 strikes, and yet last night Musgrove threw a hittable strike during his first at bat on a 2-2 count that resulted in a triple and then threw another hittable strike during his next at bat on an 0-2 count that luckily resulted in an out. I just do not get how we continue to let this guy beat us with 2 strikes when he has shown terrible plate discipline up to this point in his career.
Hulla Baller
AG
This team needs to wake the **** up.
Ag_07
AG
rosco511 said:

Why do we continue to put the ball anywhere near the strike zone against Odor with 2 strikes? The guy will swing at anything when he has 2 strikes, and yet last night Musgrove threw a hittable strike during his first at bat on a 2-2 count that resulted in a triple and then threw another hittable strike during his next at bat on an 0-2 count that luckily resulted in an out. I just do not get how we continue to let this guy beat us with 2 strikes when he has shown terrible plate discipline up to this point in his career.

You answered your own question.
Farmer1906
AG
Altuve, Correa, & Springer all vote leaders in the AS
rosco511
AG
Although I used Musgrove as the example, I feel like our pitching staff as a whole continues to do this with Odor, too, and I just do not understand it. With a hitter like him, you have a good chance he will swing at a breaking ball in the dirt so why even get anywhere close to a hittable strike with 2 strikes.
cone
AG
JB Bukkake
titanmaster_race
aggie1906 said:

Pretty amazing for Springer to jump up like that. Winning the AL player of the week did him some work.
Ag_07
AG
We've held him in check this year (although who hasn't?).

He looked real bad last series when he whiffed to end the game on some crap way outside the zone.

Although I do think our staff has a problem overall with finishing guys when we have 2 strikes on them. Seems they don't quite know how to finish guys when they're ahead.
titanmaster_race
rosco511 said:

Although I used Musgrove as the example, I feel like our pitching staff as a whole continues to do this with Odor, too, and I just do not understand it. With a hitter like him, you have a good chance he will swing at a breaking ball in the dirt so why even get anywhere close to a hittable strike with 2 strikes.

I remember this very differently. For example, in Arlington, Keuchel pitched around Beltre to load the bases with 2 outs so he could pitch to Odor. He then threw garbage in the dirt, struck him out, and walked to the dugout like a BAMF.
titanmaster_race
Giles also struck him out with several pitches out of the zone to seal a win in Arlington.
Farmer1906
AG
titanmaster_race said:

aggie1906 said:

Pretty amazing for Springer to jump up like that. Winning the AL player of the week did him some work.
McCann is 2nd.

Yall make sure to do your part. I've maxed out my votes.

4 starters plus maybe Dallas would be pretty fun.
ClickClack
AG
Just put in my daily votes
aggiematt235
AG
titanmaster_race said:

Giles also struck him out with several pitches out of the zone to seal a win in Arlington.
That was just Giles missing his spot. We are lucky to win any game that Giles has to come in and save.

-Frok, probably.
Farmer1906
AG
I think its clear what we're doing in this draft. We just snagged our 4th college arm in the first 6 picks.

Yesterday it was JB & Corbin. Today it's been Tyler Ivey (yes, that Tyler Ivey) & Notre Dame's Peter Solomon.
Ag_07
AG
91 seems pretty high for Ivey

What's the story on him? He the one busted for pot and kicked off the team right before the season?
Mr.Ackar07
Ag_07 said:

91 seems pretty high for Ivey

What's the story on him? He the one busted for pot and kicked off the team right before the season?
The pot incidence was Stubblefield. Ivey had a problem with Childress "ignoring" him later in the season when he wasn't being used as much.
Hulla Baller
AG
McCullers on the DL now? I guess this season was too good to be true.
cone
AG
Reddick likely out for tonight as welll
Ag_07
AG
Hulla Baller said:

McCullers on the DL now? I guess this season was too good to be true.
Welcome to yesterday

CFTXAG10
AG
Soon. #PeacockRedemption

First Page Last Page
Page 355 of 1723

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.