***Official World Baseball Classic thread***

21,722 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DVC2010
TMACsDaMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stroman with the FU to the Puerto Rico dugout
irish pete ag06
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

Stroman with the FU to the Puerto Rico dugout
Dude's a fire cracker.
PhatMack19
AG
Arenado is on fire!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't even understand them being pissed. They started a guy named Seth tonight who's from Shreveport.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
And apparently Jewish as well. Nothing says Puerto Rico like a Jew from Louisiana.
PhatMack19
AG
8-0 USA
titanmaster_race
I must have missed it, what's all the bad blood about?
Ags #1
AG
Fans of Puerto Rico tweeted him and his mom some not so nice stuff. His mom is Puerto Rican so he could have played for them. And he initially
Committted to them but changed his mind and committed to the USA
PhatMack19
AG
titanmaster_race said:

I must have missed it, what's all the bad blood about?
His mom was born in PR, but he was born in NY. 4 years ago he mentioned that he would love to play for PR to honor his mom. He choose to play for the US and the PR fans have been giving his mom hell on Twitter about him being a traitor even though he's a US citizen.
1836er
AG
Am I mistaken.... or did one of the announcers just say that the person from American history he would dress up as for a team USA game is Christopher Columbus?
titanmaster_race
Stroman?
DVC2010
AG
Yes
titanmaster_race
Ah. Thanks yall
DVC2010
AG
3 to go!
CorpsAg11
AG
Finish these turds!!!
PhatMack19
AG
World Champs!!
titanmaster_race
Shutout win!!!
RGLAG85
AG
USA! USA! USA!
DVC2010
MallalieuAg
AG
Fantastic!!
Pahdz
Imagine how stacked we will be when Puerto Rico becomes the 51st state
Sean98
AG
I watched the entire game in Spanish with some Puerto Rican fans. It was glorious.
Pahdz
astros4545
AG
Adam Jones calling out Puerto Rico
Street_Cred_Norm
So P.R. already had a parade planned..Adam Jones calls them out.
Ag_07
AG
Really though all PRs are US citizens so they should all be playing for us.

At the beginning of the game when they were playing the national anthems I was hoping they would announce the PR national anthem, and then out of the loud speakers it would be blaring the Star Spangled Banner.

PhatMack19
AG
I can't help but think that the US's lack of major star players actually helped them. They seemed to really enjoy playing together and no ones ego was too big for the team. They played great team baseball and that beats talent sometimes, especially in this sport.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Street_Cred_Norm said:

So P.R. already had a parade planned..Adam Jones calls them out.
I think this may have been way overblown by our side. Correa did a good job of explaining it:

Quote:

However, the Puerto Rican team planned to fly home and celebrate its WBC performance, win or lose.
Third baseman Carlos Correa did not deny the team's plans to go to Puerto Rico after Wednesday's game but denied it was because the players were confident they would beat the United States.

"It's funny because they have been talking about that, but it's all about the country; it's not about our team," Correa said. "Our country has been behind us since we have started [the tournament]. When we were in Mexico, we told the governor in Puerto Rico that if we made it to the finals, we need to plane to get back and celebrate with our people."

Baseball fans in Puerto Rico have been head-over-heels excited about their team's run in the WBC. Puerto Rico was a perfect 7-0 before running into a determined U.S. team, led by starting pitcher Marcus Stroman.
Stories have been written about how Puerto Rico stores have run out of hair dye as citizens have rushed to get the bleach-blond look the players have been sporting the past few weeks.

Correa said civic pride, born of the tournament, has been unifying for the people in Puerto Rico.
"There were no crimes, there were no assassinations back home while we were playing in this classic," Correa said. "Everybody was dyeing their hair blond, so we had our whole nation behind us that is going through tough times right now."

Correa suggested the weight both teams placed on the WBC might have led to the misunderstanding.
"It's as simple as this: If you ask Angel Pagan, if you ask Yadi Molina if it feels better than a World Series, they would say yes," Correa said. "If you ask one of the American guys, they will say, 'No, not even close.' So that just tells you the way we play when we represent our country is a lot different than when they play. A lot of their guys say no to the baseball classic. None of our main guys say no to the baseball classic."

Of course, the United States had WBC champion T-shirts and caps at the ready too, but the difference might have been that those did not become public until after the game.
titanmaster_race
What are the chances that some bad blood from the WBC weaves its way into the MLB season?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Probably pretty slim, in my opinion.
DVC2010
AG
I don't recall seeing any. One of my favorite moments in the tournament was Machado's hat tip after Jones robbed him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.