Does anybody alive still believe in Luhnow?

21,747 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by W
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

And I don't really expect him to respond.
knoxtom
Ag_07 said:

knoxtom said:

I think Lunhow has done very little with what gifts he was dealt. And I think most teams don't fear the Astros.

Jesus this narrative is so old and overplayed. Besides Correa and Bregman what else was he "given".

It wasn't Yuli Gurriel who was an international signing and diamond in the rough.

It wasn't Marwin Gonzales who he traded for and is now the best role player in the league and a bonified Ranger killer.

It wasn't Brian McCann was part of a trade in which he leveraged the Yanks to cover IIRC 15 mil of his salary.

It wasn't Devo who was a deep PTBNL and now an AS reliever.

It wasn't Giles who he traded for and is a top end closer. BTW he traded guys who are barely still in the game in Appears and Vasquez.

It wasn't Gattis or Marisnick who he both traded for and are solid contributors.

It wasn't Francis Martes who was an after thought when he traded for him and is now a top 15 prospect.

It wasn't Verlander who he pulled off a miracle deal for and still managed to keep his top prospects.

It wasn't Fisher or Whitley or Kyle Tucker who were his draft picks and are now top 100 prospects. All of which the Rangers wanted when it was mentioned we were engaged in Yu talks.

So please...Who on this AL West Division Championship roster was he "given"?

How could I forget MCullers who he drafted and is now an AS.

Springer was his draft pick IIRC.

Reddick was a FA signing who is now top 5 I think I BA and a perfect fit in the lineup.
I think someone drafting 1st three straight years should have done much more. That being said, let's look at your list of brilliant moves.

Yuli - 2.3 war - league average is 2.0. He is 33, wouldn't call him a "diamond" myself.
Gonzales - career year - been fantastic, wish he played more
McCann - 0.9 war - glad someone else is paying his money as he has not been good or even average especially in the 2nd half in which he has done nothing at all
Devenski - fantastic 1st half, average 2nd half
Giles - He's been ok, scares you but usually gets the job done
Gattis - average
Marisnick - below average player
Verlander - wasn't really a "miracle" since every trade for a pitcher this season really didn't cost much, still he is fired up and pitching well. Sure would have liked him more a month earlier and with 6 more starts as an Astro, maybe then the Indians wouldn't be lapping us.
Fisher - hitting 200, not sure he is such a "huge" prospect
Whitley - calm down, he is in AA ball
Tucker - Same
McCullers - what has he won 7 games this season? Maybe 2 in the 2nd half. Call me when he plays a full season
Reddick - been good, just a good all around player.

Do you want a list of the misses? Do you want the 1.1 misses, the top two rounds and already gone misses, the bullpen misses, the free agent misses, or all of the above? It's easy to cherry pick a few hits, its even easier to pick top end misses with this guy.

irish pete ag06
AG
Ag_07 said:

knoxtom said:

I think Lunhow has done very little with what gifts he was dealt. And I think most teams don't fear the Astros.

Jesus this narrative is so old and overplayed. Besides Correa and Bregman what else was he "given".

It wasn't Yuli Gurriel who was an international signing and diamond in the rough.

It wasn't Marwin Gonzales who he traded for and is now the best role player in the league and a bonified Ranger killer.

It wasn't Brian McCann was part of a trade in which he leveraged the Yanks to cover IIRC 15 mil of his salary.

It wasn't Giles who he traded for and is a top end closer. BTW he traded guys who are barely still in the game in Appears and Vasquez.

It wasn't Gattis or Marisnick who he both traded for and are solid contributors.

It wasn't Francis Martes who was an after thought when he traded for him and is now a top 15 prospect.

It wasn't Verlander who he pulled off a miracle deal for and still managed to keep his top prospects.

It wasn't Fisher or Whitley or Kyle Tucker who were his draft picks and are now top 100 prospects. All of which the Rangers wanted when it was mentioned we were engaged in Yu talks.

Reddick was a FA signing who is now top 5 I think I BA and a perfect fit in the lineup.

Blahhead
knoxtom said:

Ag_07 said:

knoxtom said:

I think someone drafting 1st three straight years should have done much more. That being said, let's look at your list of brilliant moves.

Yuli - 2.3 war - league average is 2.0. He is 33, wouldn't call him a "diamond" myself.
Gonzales - career year - been fantastic, wish he played more
McCann - 0.9 war - glad someone else is paying his money as he has not been good or even average especially in the 2nd half in which he has done nothing at all
Devenski - fantastic 1st half, average 2nd half
Giles - He's been ok, scares you but usually gets the job done
Gattis - average
Marisnick - below average player
Verlander - wasn't really a "miracle" since every trade for a pitcher this season really didn't cost much, still he is fired up and pitching well. Sure would have liked him more a month earlier and with 6 more starts as an Astro, maybe then the Indians wouldn't be lapping us.
Fisher - hitting 200, not sure he is such a "huge" prospect
Whitley - calm down, he is in AA ball
Tucker - Same
McCullers - what has he won 7 games this season? Maybe 2 in the 2nd half. Call me when he plays a full season
Reddick - been good, just a good all around player.

Do you want a list of the misses? Do you want the 1.1 misses, the top two rounds and already gone misses, the bullpen misses, the free agent misses, or all of the above? It's easy to cherry pick a few hits, its even easier to pick top end misses with this guy.

Every team in every sport misses on prospects.
astros4545
AG
Just want to say

Never heard of knoxtom until this last post

His new interest in the sport of baseball, while admirable, is lacking any semblance of knowledge
BowSowy
AG
I just want to know who his allegiances lie with, that way we can compare
HerschelwoodHardhead
AG
I'd be curious to see who he think is a "good" GM. Cause no one bats 1.000 in baseball, especially not general managers.

Also, the baseball draft is notoriously a crap shoot. That's why they have 40 rounds. Take a look at the first round of the 2014 draft, and notice how small a percentage of these players are even contributing to a MLB team:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Major_League_Baseball_draft
Silent For Too Long
Quote:

league average is 2.0
Link?

I've searched around and can't find anything that verifies this. It also makes no ****ing sense. It basically would mean the average player is worth 2 wins more then the average player. What?

2.0 Puts you on the borderline between "role player" and "solid starter."

Notice how 73% of the players in 2010 were at or below a 1.0.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Although your insightful takes on one of the most well respected GMs in baseball already kind of gave that away.
Silent For Too Long
Quote:

maybe then the Indians wouldn't be lapping us
Oh brother. Clearly you are trolling.

Have fun, cupcake.
gougler08
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

Quote:

league average is 2.0
Link?

I've searched around and can't find anything that verifies this. It also makes no ****ing sense. It basically would mean the average player is worth 2 wins more then the average player. What?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Although your insightful takes on one of the most well respected GMs in baseball already kind of gave that away.

That was all I could find too, and I thought a WAR of 0.0 meant you were average, since you generated 0 more wins than the average player?

Either way, knoxtom has some serious issues with Luhnow as it's clear he's put together a title winning team that should be together for at least a few years
irish pete ag06
AG
Wins above "Replacement" means that you are that much better than a "replacement player." Think quad A player as a replacement players. 2.0 WAR is average to above average roughly.

Filling out a roster with a couple of stars and 7-8 2.0 WAR players usually means your are dang good. Technically a 2 WAR player will be better than half of the league.
Farmer1906
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

Wins above "Replacement" means that you are that much better than a "replacement player." Think quad A player as a replacement players. 2.0 WAR is average to above average roughly.

Filling out a roster with a couple of stars and 7-8 2.0 WAR players usually means your are dang good. Technically a 2 WAR player will be better than half of the league.
So about a player with a negative WAR? The should be cut immediately I would think.

JoeCephas1974
Cynical_Texan said:

As a Rangers fan, Luhnow has my full support.

As an Astros fan, mine too.
BMX Bandit
knoxtom said:

Am I still supposed to be eating crow?
yes.
Mathguy64
AG
knoxtom said:

So in my typical fashion, once Lunhow sat on his hands instead of doing anything at the deadline, and given that the Astros were playing pretty average ball, I re-bumped it.

So not trolling, I think Lunhow has done very little with what gifts he was dealt. And I think most teams don't fear the Astros.

This may very well be the dumbest statement made on TA this year. It deserves to be plastered at the top here for a while for everybody to read. Over and over again.
Ambres
AG
knoxtom did you work for the Astros front office and got fired by Luhnow or.. did he sleep with you wife, sister and girlfriend .. or you and bought a nice seafood dinner and never call back?

I only asks because any organization that goes from last to 3 years in the playoff with contention in 2015 and 2017... sorry we must live in different world cause that is an amazing job turning the minor league team that was the Astros to a real contender.

No GM bats 1000% but to continue to put together a solid team each year is what he is doing. Plus anyone who doesn't recognize the Verlander trade for what it was.. give away little to meet an immediate need.

Now we still have some issues and I expect him to work on them next year.

Middle relief is still not were it needs to be. Still not sold on Giles.. feel like he is a strong setup 8th inning guy more then a closer. (but let be realistic.. nothing will be as good as Brad Lidge 7th, Dotel 8th and Wagner 9th) .. and still need a 3rd ace to develop out of the guys we have.
irish pete ag06
AG
Ambres said:

knoxtom did you work for the Astros front office and got fired by Luhnow or.. did he sleep with you wife, sister and girlfriend .. or you and bought a nice seafood dinner and never call back?

I only asks because any organization that goes from last to 3 years in the playoff with contention in 2015 and 2017... sorry we must live in different world cause that is an amazing job turning the minor league team that was the Astros to a real contender.

No GM bats 1000% but to continue to put together a solid team each year is what he is doing. Plus anyone who doesn't recognize the Verlander trade for what it was.. give away little to meet an immediate need.

Now we still have some issues and I expect him to work on them next year.

Middle relief is still not were it needs to be. Still not sold on Giles.. feel like he is a strong setup 8th inning guy more then a closer. (but let be realistic.. nothing will be as good as Brad Lidge 7th, Dotel 8th and Wagner 9th) .. and still need a 3rd ace to develop out of the guys we have.
Giles < Jansen, Kimbrel (who the Astros beat), and maybe Chapman (who the Astros also beat). This narrative that Giles isn't that great is old.
agdaddy04
AG
And not many teams have 3 aces.
Ag_07
AG
Ambres said:

Still not sold on Giles..

Ambres did Giles sleep with your wife, sister and girlfriend .. or you and bought a nice seafood dinner and never call back?
Ambres
AG
Ag_07 said:

Ambres said:

Ambres did Giles sleep with your wife, sister and girlfriend .. or you and bought a nice seafood dinner and never call back?
Yes, thanks for bringing it up, still hurt about it.. but it was a lovely night. Ok I admit that I am being very picky as Giles had a 2.30 ERA this year w/ 34 saves w/ only 4 blownsaves. Stats all say he is an elite closer.

Compare to other closer that is pretty amazing.

Saves in AL this year

1. Alex Colome - 3.24 ERA, 47 Saves, 6 BlownSaves (65 Games)
2. Robert Osuna - 3.38 ERA, 39 Saves, 10 BlownSaves (66 Games)
3. Craig Kimbrel - 1.43 ERA, 35 Saves, 4 BlownSaves (67 Games)
4. Ken Giles - 2.30 ERA, 34 Saves, 4 BlownSaves (63 Games)
Edwin Diaz - 3.27 ERA, 34 Saves, 5 BlownSaves (66 Games)
9. Aroldis Chapman - 3.22 ERA, 22 Saves, 4 BlownSaves (52 Games)
10 Bud Norris - 4.21 ERA, 19 Saves, 4 BlownSaves (60 Games)

So yea the stats back up your response. Just hate how often a guy gets on base.

As for the third ACE, I agree.. but would like to see one of our the other pitcher develop. I think we have the talent on the team.

Both my concerns are being very nit picky and just shows how good the Astros are playing and what a great job the front office did putting together an amazing club.

Source: ESPN
http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/pitching/_/seasontype/2/league/al/sort/saves

TXAggie2011
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

Quote:

league average is 2.0
Link?

I know I'm a little late on this but WAR isn't measuring a player versus an "average MLB player."

And does this data set take out all the players that didn't play all that many games in the season? WAR is a cumulative stat so guys who come up for a little time won't have a high WAR even if they play very well.
BowSowy
AG
Ambres said:

Ag_07 said:

Ambres said:

As for the third ACE, I agree.. but would like to see one of our the other pitcher develop. I think we have the talent on the team.

I think McCullers has the best chance. He was pitching at an ace level before going down to injury and he's still just 24.
TexAg91
AG
Ag_07 said:

And I don't really expect him to respond.

Yes!
Phil Garner
This thread...lol!
Phil Garner
knoxtom said:

How could anyone have f'd this up so completely and so quickly. The Astros aren't playing bad, they are bad.

Ummm.....

knox, knox
Who's there?
hawks and owls
hawks and owls who?
hawks and owls EAT CROW!
irish pete ag06
AG
W
AG
Luhnow got the last laugh tonight no doubt
JJxvi
AG
In the Brady Aiken screw up draft which is where any notion that we are bad at drafting starts...4 of our first 5 picks have made it to the bigs and the other one led to Alex Bregman. Thats ridiculous even by 2012 Correa/McCullers standards.
AustinCountyAg
Knoxtem:

Everyone else reading his posts:

byfLuger41
AstroAggie15
AG
jckrjr7 said:

He's very good at building an organization. If I were Crane I'd take away his trading privledges and let someone else handle that.

Verlander says what's up
Texags is garbage
I checked in to make sure I didn't have any off the cuff drunk posts.
AgsMyDude
AG
BMX Bandit
I still believe.
3B Paul 97
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I still believe.
I approve of this bump and comment.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.