Astros 2016 somewhat probable, kinda conceivable march to the World Series

1,755,013 Views | 19466 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mwm
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What isn't a problem right now?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
quote:
What isn't a problem right now?

Bull****. If Hinch got praised last year for letting the team "play loose and have fun", he should be equally if not more criticized for the pressing that every single person on the team is doing this year.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
When Hinch got criticized last year for his bullpen management the number one defense was "look at the record versus expectations and look how hard the guys are playing"

Well what's the defense now?
irish pete ag06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Any Hinch defenders still around?

Not sure if I'd defend him but he's not the problem some of you make him out to be.

We found the lone supporter left.

How many times did Ag _07 tell us we were all wrong last year when we called Hinch out for his ****.

I wasn't hesitant to acknowledge when Hinch bent us over at times, but he didn't lose us as many games as some you guys like to make it seem.

If you want my .02 we've got two problems...

1) Players who just aren't that good. We're bargain bin dumpster divers.

2) The systematic approach our entire organization takes. There is a reason it's been played the same way for 100 years. The all or nothing plate approach and numbers game is not working. In a game like baseball when the best in the game are successful only 30% of the time that means your players fail 70% of the time. I'd don't think this approach helps those numbers. Take what you can get when you can get it because most of the time you're gonna fail. We don't take advantage of the small windows when they come open.

It's my opinion neither of these are Hinch's fault. It's a systematic, organizational issue that starts at the top. Any manager this regime picks will have the same approach. It won't change.

I know I won't change your opinions, but that's mine and now I'll let you guys pick me apart and yell at scream and curse me out.

I agree with this. #2 should get better. If you look at who Luhnow has drafted, it's pretty focused on guys with good BB:K ratios.

Most of the guys that are knocking on the door at AAA are not high K guys. It's also why you'e seen them willing to let go of high K guys like Santana and Carter.
Frok
AG
Well I guess we'll get a top pick again. Gotta restock after getting fleeced all 2015.
Ag_07
AG
Perfect example...We're on pace the break the K record we set in 2013.

It's been known for a 100 years that Ks are bad, yet this organization completely ignores that rationale.

It's not the manager's fault, it's not the coaches fault, it's the organizational approach and I'm really beginning to think we need reevaluate how we want to go forward.

Ag_07
AG
Well I see you've addressed that and I'll take your word for it. I'm not up on our prospects to that level of detail.

Correa seems to break that mold a bit so there is a bit of evidence there.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
So, to be clear, zero fault on the coaching staff?
Ag_07
AG
It's tough to explain, but no not really.

Not because they're bad coaches, but because they are coaching a method that I don't think works.

The hitting coach coaches these guys to give it a A+ swing every time they swing. Don't waste swings on short pokes for base hits. So what does Gomez do? Swing hard as chit every single time.

It's an approach flaw not a coaching flaw.

Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Right there. Down 4 in the 9th inning and Tucker goes up to the plate swinging. Why? How is that not on the staff?
Ag_07
AG
Because he knows if he looks Nuke will post about him for standing there with a bat on his shoulder.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Is the approach not taught by the coaches?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
quote:
Because he knows if he looks Nuke will post about him for standing there with a bat on his shoulder.

Lol honestly though. That's basic little league stuff. Bad baseball.
Cheo
White continues to geek out at the plate on pitches that are not inside....like at all
Ag_07
AG
I know and I agree, but if these guys need coaching on little league basics that ain't on a coach.
Cheo
Man there seems to be a lot of drunk people at the game right now huahuahuah

Forum Troll
AG
4 hits.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
quote:
I know and I agree, but if these guys need coaching on little league basics that ain't on a coach.

Lol come on man. How many coaches are on this staff? And one can't whisper to our dumbass hitters to remember that we are down by 4, and that means it takes a minimum of 3 base runners to accomplish a tie?
Frok
AG
quote:

Disagree, why have coaches if they don't break down your game and help you get better? Maybe they've tried but the players don't change. But somethings gotta change.
Forum Troll
AG
Team batting 229

BAA 282
WHIP 1.43
4.8 team ERA
9 quality starts in 26 games, horrendous.
Forum Troll
AG
Oh and more solo home runs.
Forum Troll
AG
I don't think this team will win 70 game this year.
W
AG
it's a mess
Ag_07
AG
And of course Flix and Giles looked pretty damned good tonight.

If it's not one thing it's another and we can't put it all together at the same time.

Very frustrating and disappointing.
bigbass1170
AG
I blame sports illustrated
aggiematt235
AG
I blame the 2 guys who jumped the gun and each made a separate thread.

Neither of which contained asterisks.

We did this to ourselves.

And by we, I mean maca1028 and SeaBasstian
iBrad
AG
Par for the course with a struggling team. There always seems to be at least one facet of the game biting us in the ass. We haven't played many complete games this year. Even in two of our eight wins, we scored one and two runs.

In our 26 games, we've scored 2 or fewer runs in 12, and have given up 5 or more runs, also in 12. Unfortunately, we've only done both in 4 games. So that's 4 that we sucked at both, and 8 each of sucking at one or the other. That's a grand total of 20 sucks out of 26 games. And that, is why we've won 8 games.

While our pitching has overcome anemic offense for two wins, the offense hasn't been able to do the same for the pitching. We haven't won a game yet when giving up more than 4 runs. We have, however, lost 4 when scoring 5 or more. We've also lost 2 when giving up 2 or fewer and another three when giving up 3.

All that to say that we just can't put it all together on the same night and we suck at overcoming bad nights by either the offense or defense.

The Twins, who suck, too, had only held an opponent below 3 runs 3 times this season. They've only scored more than 5 on 4 occasions. Last night, they did both for only the second time all year. We even make bad teams look good.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
Par for the course with a struggling team. There always seems to be at least one facet of the game biting us in the ass. We haven't played many complete games this year. Even in two of our eight wins, we scored one and two runs.

In our 26 games, we've scored 2 or fewer runs in 12, and have given up 5 or more runs, also in 12. Unfortunately, we've only done both in 4 games. So that's 4 that we sucked at both, and 8 each of sucking at one or the other. That's a grand total of 20 sucks out of 26 games. And that, is why we've won 8 games.

While our pitching has overcome anemic offense for two wins, the offense hasn't been able to do the same for the pitching. We haven't won a game yet when giving up more than 4 runs. We have, however, lost 4 when scoring 5 or more. We've also lost 2 when giving up 2 or fewer and another three when giving up 3.

All that to say that we just can't put it all together on the same night and we suck at overcoming bad nights by either the offense or defense.

The Twins, who suck, too, had only held an opponent below 3 runs 3 times this season. They've only scored more than 5 on 4 occasions. Last night, they did both for only the second time all year. We even make bad teams look good.
wow; that's ridiculous. That's the kind of stuff that has to even out at some point of the season; but unfortunately still points to mediocrity. I feel like we're watching the Rockets Season all over again; huge hype entering the season; all the supposed key pieces in the right places; and we're just not getting it done.
astros4545
AG
Tim Lincecum showcase today

Anyone interested in him, I know I would be
titanmaster_race
quote:

I have not followed this. Why is he a free agent and not on a team already?
k20dub
AG
quote:

At this point, we sure as hell be interested.
mazag08
AG
I'm definitely interested..

As manager
Ag_07
AG
quote:
quote:

I have not followed this. Why is he a free agent and not on a team already?

He fell off the map with injury issues. Hip surgery IIRC

Giants wanted him back but told him he'd be in the BP and he wasn't having it. Wants to be a starter and decided he wouldn't throw until he was 100% recovered. Looks like he is and he's throwing for the first time in front of teams.
iBrad
AG
To see where we stand with our past seasons...

2011: 9-17 (56-106)
2012: 12-14 (55-107)
2013: 8-18 (51-111)
2014: 9-17 (70-92)
2015: 18-8 (86-76)
2016: 8-18

Playing .500 ball from here on out, which we did last year, gets us to 76-86. We'd have to finish 20 games over .500 to match last year's record.

Even if we're interested in Lincecum, would he be interested in us?
Ag_07
AG
Yep. Arthroscopic hip surgery in June

quote:
Lincecum, 31, spent the whole winter working out to prepare for the showcase, which has been in the works for months. He has been training to build up his durability and velocity in hopes of returning as a starter. He's reportedly throwing in the low 90's, which is right on track for a guy who won the Cy Young Award averaging 92 MPH and a World Series averaging 91.

Lincecum's 2015 season was cut short due to ongoing problems with a degenerative hip issue. He went 7-7 with a 4.13 ERA in 15 starts for the Giants last year, and made his last appearance on June 27 before deciding to undergo hip surgery. He became a free agent this offseason after finishing his two-year $35 million contract with San Francisco, the only team he's ever played for.

While multiple teams are reportedly interested in The Freak, Lincecum has said that he hopes to return to the Giants. That could end up being a realistic possibility, depending on how well the showcase goes.

Yeah he's a FA so we're going to have to outbid to get him here. Not sure he's one worth getting into a bidding war with someone.
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 557

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.