Astros 2016 somewhat probable, kinda conceivable march to the World Series

1,754,585 Views | 19466 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by mwm
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow
agdaddy04
AG
It's been that kind of year for Dallas. Comes close to getting out of an inning and then the wheels fall off.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
Keuchel throwing 86 mph no movement fastballs down main street
3B Paul 97
AG
Keuchel needs the Clemens deal where he only pitches at home.
E
AG
quote:
quote:
Tyler White is completely lost and overmatched at the plate right now.

Flinches at strikes, check swings meatballs, and whiffs at balls. It may be time to call up Reed.

Reed's currently on the 7-day DL. Based on their AAA seasons so far, I think I'd rather call up Moran and let Marwin play first.

This.

Or bring Worth up.
Ag_07
AG
If I'm AJ I'm telling Dallas he's my man for another inning. Not wasting an arm after a 16 inning marathon. He's the #1 and he needs to get through 7.
htxag09
AG
He's at 110+ pitches.

Would be an Astros move though to get your ace injured by over pitching him in a blowout.
iBrad
AG
When talking about who McCullers replaces in the rotation, do you consider Keuchel? He's pitching pretty bad right now.

I know he's not going to be replaced, but how did he go from so dominant to so bad over an offseason? Or really, it's just been since Spring Training.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah...Would hate to have that 10+ ERA out of this rotation.
Ag_07
AG
And it's puzzling that every pitcher including the scrubs we have at the back end of the rotation have responded well to the slow start except our Cy Young winning #1.

Just odd
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
Add I would LOVE to have Roger as a pitching coach.

The Sox color commentator (Jerry Remy just said that if you're a baseball coach at any level or have kids who play, get a copy of Clemens discussions in tonight's game.

If you have MLB.com they allow the arhchive after the games. It is the NESN feed. I think it was in the third, but could be the second.

As I said, I don't have a great opinion of Roger the man, but his commentary was excellent!
Ag_07
AG
Completely agree.

He was a walking PED and a cheater, but he knows how to pitch, knows the game, and knows what it takes to be dominant. Plus, I think guys listen to him.

I think he'd make a phenomenal pitching coach.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Had a very late meeting. Like I e said, something is wrong with Keuchel. Said it the first game when his fastball has dropped 7 mph. That doesn't just happen.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
"7" was supposed to be "several" -- it did t drop 7 mph.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
I saw a few clocking in at 84-85, 7 might be close.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Fastballs?

Yeah that's an obvious issue.
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
Fastballs?

Yeah that's an obvious issue.

I think they were the old number 1, but I'd hesitate to call them fastballs
agdaddy04
AG
Beginning of last year Fields was pretty good, whatever got into him late last year sure hasn't been fixed.
irish pete ag06
AG
I'm in agreeance Nuke. Keuchel is not right. I wouldn't be shocked to hear about a surprise DL stint soon.
Ag_07
AG
With Lance coming back and everyone else performing well would they consider a "DL" stint for Dallas just to let him relax and sit back and figure things out even though he may not be injured?

Something BS like shoulder soreness?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Fields has options... He gone soon.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
quote:
With Lance coming back and everyone else performing well would they consider a "DL" stint for Dallas just to let him relax and sit back and figure things out even though he may not be injured?

Nah. If we plan to make the playoffs, which is a long shot regardless, we need last years Keuchel back starting with his next start.

If we are giving up, which looks like the best option at this point, then go ahead and DL him.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Damn I'm good

Ag_07
AG
quote:
Forgot about Castro.

And I'm not so sure on Feliz. He's looked phenomenal lately.

Why not Fields? With Feldman settling in well in the long relief role ditch Fields and essentially Feliz gets those appearances.

Sorry Nuke...I called it this morning.
Sea Gull
AG
quote:
Damn I'm good

Why in the ****ing hell is Kratz on the roster?
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
quote:

Nah. If we plan to make the playoffs, which is a long shot regardless, we need last years Keuchel back starting with his next start.

If we are giving up, which looks like the best option at this point, then go ahead and DL him.
Before tonight, 6 games out in May and we're giving up? We aren't playing well (not even close) but damn, man, glad you guys aren't on the effing team. Not even 25% of the way through a season and we are throwing in the towel.

I believe this team can turn it around, especially if we call a guy or two up and stop with all these damn injuries.
iBrad
AG
quote:
Why in the ****ing hell is Kratz on the roster?

Because Stassi needs playing time and Gattis will be back soon.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
It's simple math, man. Barring a collapse of multiple teams in our division we will have to play at around a 95 win pace to make the playoffs.

Take away a few weeks in 2015 and we haven't touched this pace. Nothing that this team has shown me says that this pace is remotely possible.
Ag_07
AG
Sheeeeet I'm not giving up. I didn't make that suggestion. I was just suggesting that in reality we may be better with Dallas out of the rotation for a start or two.

Something is obviously not right with him and it may be beneficial that while everyone else is throwing well and we have 6 starters he take some time to get right.

This team is inconsistent and at times downright awful but we're by no means out of it.
iBrad
AG
We need to at least win three on this road trip and then close out May by winning the rest of the series. That would give me hope. If we continue to play .500 baseball, it's going to be a disappointing season.

But in reality, aside from a hot start last year, we were a .500 team. Sadly, take away slow start this year, and were likely a .500 team. We've got too many guys struggling in the lineup right now to go on a winning streak.
Frok
AG
Team Roadkill
Coby
AG
So I was looking at some info on fangraphs about Keuchel. Last year his average fb velocity was 89.6. This year it's been 88.1. Cutter velocity last year was 86.7 and this year is 85.1. Aside from velocity though, I found this to be very interesting. Last year he threw fastballs 56.1% and cutters 9.8%. Those numbers for this season are 48.2% and 17.6%.

So he's throwing a lot more cutters this year obviously...maybe the movement on them has had a significant drop off? Maybe it was never really a great pitch for him? I don't know. Just found it to be interesting.
Ag_07
AG
Interesting

Think the problem is he's having trouble spotting...err getting calls with...the fastball so he turns to the cutter to bring it back in. That's all good and well in ST but when a MLer sees a cutter breaking towards him. Then it gets hammered. It makes it worse when you put guys on via walks (or stupid barehand fielding attempts like last night).
rosco511
AG
How much longer can we continue to run out Gomez? I believe in giving guys chances, but he has been historically bad at this point.
Mr.Ackar07
Any rumors that Kuechel may be battling an injury? That could explain location and velocity problems.
First Page Last Page
Page 49 of 557

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.