Cubs thread v2.0

573,264 Views | 6317 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 10andBOUNCE
bluestainedivy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm pretty sure you have no expectations for him, but if Fonzi has a good season he will probably the one man that can have the biggest impact.

Also, I think middle relief will be better since we won't have to worry about long relief guys being brought in for one or two batters.

I'm also hoping to see Geo get more regular work.
AgRyan04
I was kind of hoping that Fonzi's contract somehow expired in the offseason and no one realized it until opening day.

That contract can't expire fast enough

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
'00 Wyoming | '00 UTEP | '00 tech | '00 Colorado | '00 @Baylor | '00 Kansas St | '00 Oklahoma | '01 McNeese St | '01 Oklahoma St | '01 Notre Dame | '01 Baylor | '01 Iowa St | '01 t.u. | '02 La-Lafayette | '02 Virginia Tech | '02 La Tech | '02 tech | '02 Nebraska | '02 Oklahoma | '02 Missouri | '03 Arkansas St | '03 Utah | '03 Pitt | '03 Baylor | '03 @Nebraska | '03 Oklahoma St | '03 Kansas | '03 t.u. | '04 Wyoming | '04 Clemson | '04 Kansas St | '04 Colorado | '04 tech | '04 @t.u. | '05 Cotton Bowl | '05 SMU | '05 Baylor | '05 Oklahoma St | '05 Iowa St | '05 t.u. | '06 Citadel | '06 La-Lafayette | '06 v Army | '06 La Tech | '06 tech | '06 Missouri | '06 @Baylor | '06 Oklahoma | '06 Nebraska | '06 @t.u. | '06 Holiday Bowl | '07 Montana St | '07 Fresno St | '07 La-Monroe | '07 @Miami | '07 Baylor | '07 Oklahoma St | '07 @Nebraska | '07 Kansas | '07 t.u. | '08 Arkansas St | '08 @New Mexico | '08 Miami | '08 Army | '08 Kansas St | '08 tech | '08 Colorado | '08 Oklahoma | '08 @Baylor | '08 @t.u. | '09 New Mexico | '09 Utah St | '09 UAB | '09 v Arkansas | '09 Oklahoma St | '09 Iowa St | '09 @Colorado | '09 @Oklahoma | '09 Baylor | '09 t.u. | '09 Independence Bowl | '10 SFA | '10 La Tech | '10 FIU | '10 v Arkansas | '10 Missouri | '10 texas tech | '10 Oklahoma | '10 @Baylor | '10 Nebraska | '10 @t.u. | '11 Cotton Bowl

Lance Uppercut
AG
"Cubs big money players need to start earning their pay"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_lemire/03/16/cubs.postcard/index.html
Know Your Enemy
AG
I think if we can get average years out of Sori, Byrd, Colvin, and 2B we could be a good team. I expect Pena and Aramis to put up better numbers than they did last year and Soto and Castro need to show that they truly are very good/great major leaguers. The back end of the bullpen looks to be strong with Marshall, Woody, and Marmol. If Z can pitch like he did after his return last year, we could have a very good rotation. Garza & Demp are good and Wells should be solid. I'm guessing that Cashner gets the last rotation spot and Silva starts the season on the DL with a mystery ailment. Then if Cash and Wells start off strong, I expect Silva to be released.
bluestainedivy
I like your analysis Doc. I do think that we will need a little more than average production from the outfielders. At least, average from all except one who does overly well.

We have a lot of question marks which concerns me honestly. I've said this before, I think if the team believes in themselves and does the little things well they can go all the way. That being said, I haven't seen the attention to the details that this team needs to succeed. Errors are a big example of that.

I think the Central is weak and weaker now with Wainwright out, but LaRussa's still managing the Cards. the Brewers still have the talent (who knows how it will pan for them). Of course, the Reds are the incumbents and I'm still in disbelief.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Looks like Baker and Barney are both beating out DeWitt at 2B who is having a terrible spring at the plate (at least avg-wise)

-I expect about the same from Soriano as past years - 270 avg with close to 30 bombs and 90 RBI
-Byrd should be around a 280 hitter with close to 20 HR and 80 RBI
-Colvin will be the wildcard - I'd like to see him pick up the OBP to close to 350 and come close to 30 HRs (assuming he starts in 90% of the games) - I expect him to be our RFer but also float around to the other spots to give the older guys a day off

Who is going to round out our bullpen?? Other than Marmol, Wood and Marshall? I assume Shark will start with the team and we'll see how it goes. Stevens? Russell? Mateo? Please don't let it be Grabow....

[This message has been edited by cubsin11 (edited 3/21/2011 7:35a).]
BobOliver2006
AG
quote:
Castro, Colvin, Cashner .  .  . Castillo?

The C-change in the Cubs’ improving player development system could be on the verge of producing another impressive rookie if catcher Welington Castillo’s big-league debut last fall and his performance this spring are any indication.

Where he might get a chance to play is another matter, with All-Star Geovany Soto locked in at the big-league level. But the stocky prospect with the quick glove is a ridiculous 12-for-17 (.706) this spring with a home run, and he has thrown out base-runners from his knees.

"Castillo has opened my eyes — wow," Quade said. "He’s got a game-changing arm to go along with a bat that’s starting to get real interesting. He’ll continue to mature, and if he can handle the mental part of the game — I think we’ve seen some pretty darn good physical tools, and boy is he an exciting young kid."

Despite the big spring, don’t expect him to break camp with the club, not to waste away on the bench as a backup with experienced receiver Koyie Hill in place.

"But this guy’s got a bright future," Quade said.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Please let them keep Castillo and dump Koyie Hill.
bluestainedivy
Agreed. Is Koyie even batting .150? I know it's the spring, but c'mon.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Don't know how I feel having WC up with the Cubs as a backup though. I think I may rather want him getting ABs in Iowa than playing every 4th/5th game in Chicago.

Silva threw pretty well yesterday. At this point, I would rather have one more solid arm in the pen - so as much as it pains me to say it - let Silva start out in the rotation. Let Casey Coleman get some work at AAA and if he throws well, you bring him up the minute Silva reverts back to his batting practice garbage he throws up.
bluestainedivy
And that pushes Cashner back to the pen? I actually don't have a problem with that, although I think that will only last a half-season at best. Heck, I don't think Silva's physically capable of going a full season.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I agree 100% - I don't expect Silva to be around past the the middle of May. Like I said, I thought Coleman had some promise at the end of last season, so he is one guy I'll be watching to see if he can pick up where he left off at Iowa. I could see him taking over once Silva slips again...
bluestainedivy
I'll bet that Silva's last start seals him a spot on the rotation and moves Cashner to the pen. I'm part fine with it in that I don't care about Spring numbers, BUT I do think that at this point Silva is a bit fragile mentally. Not sure how that affects his performance or team chemistry.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Looks like Silva may be gone and Cashner in the rotation.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Andrew Cashner has landed a spot in the Cubs' rotation. Cashner, 24, turned in a 2.05 ERA and 59/15 K/BB ratio across 57 innings between Double-A and Triple-A in 2010. He was shaky when called up to the big leagues, but the talent is there and he has the potential to make himself useful in deeper mixed leagues. His strikeout rates in the minor leagues have been decent. Carlos Silva is likely to be released to free up roster space.

Also, it appears that the 2B platoon will be Jeff Baker & Darwin Barney to start the season. Blake DeWitt has made the team, but Barney outplayed him this spring. Reed Johnson has also secured a roster spot despite being awful so far this month. They haven't named a backup catcher yet. Wellington Castillo is hitting over .700 in ST, I think. It may be best for him to go to Iowa and play every day, though.
bluestainedivy
Wow, so if the Cubs release Silva does he get everything left on his contract paywise?
BobOliver2006
AG
i always go to the New York Post for my Cubs inside information exclusives
Know Your Enemy
AG
Silva did NOT make the team. They are trying to trade him. If no takers, they want him to go to Iowa. I'll be surprised if he agreed. Marcus Mateo takes the last bullpen spot.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The Cubs will owe him $6MM + a $2MM buyout for next year. The Mariners are on the hook for the rest.
bluestainedivy
As the Spring games become more serious, I'm starting to like more of what I'm seeing. Might be my usual optimism, but I'm liking the way things are playing out lineup wise.
BobOliver2006
AG
Jim Hendry on Carlos Silva with authority...
quote:
"Basically, he wasn't good enough to make the team," general manager Jim Hendry said. "We try to factor in not only spring training, but the second half of last year. You're looking at a guy who had a 14-something ERA from July 11 on, and came to camp with the notion that he already had a spot in the rotation.

"Obviously, the first three or four outings (were) quite poor, and basically you try to give him every opportunity, which we did."

"Obviously, we're dealing with a man who at this particular point of his career is not willing to face the facts that what he's done the last few years, except for a two-month period (last year), is well below major league standards," Hendry said.

"And he seemed to make a continual problem of blaming everyone but himself. (He gave up) 29 hits in his first 11 innings of camp, and I've never had anyone I've dealt with classify that as 'bad luck.' His comments (criticizing pitching coach) Mark Riggins were totally unacceptable. And once again, it's a weakness for someone that doesn't perform well and choose to blame somebody else on the way out."
Know Your Enemy
AG
Boom. Hendry just roasted that nut.
GetThoseKeysMilo
quote:
After learning on Saturday that he wouldn't make the Cubs' 25-man roster, Silva blasted Riggins, saying the pitching coach wasn't honest with him about his potential role on the team. Silva also said that the competition for the fifth starter's job was always weighted against him.

"I had a lot of chances [to make the team]," Silva said Saturday. "But say what you have to say. That's it. Don't say people are competing for a spot because it wasn't true. They already had their rotation down. It was very clear."

On Sunday morning, Cubs manager Mike Quade said it was his decision, and his decision alone to drop Silva from the Cubs' 12-man pitching staff.

"People need to know, whether he was upset with Riggs or whatever, everyone needs to know that this was my call," Quade said. "It wasn't Jim Hendry's. If [Silva wants] to be irritated with somebody, this is on me, OK. It was my decision, complete and totally.

"I was really disappointed when I heard [Silva's comments]. First of all, he's dead f---ing wrong, OK, about my pitching coach. And I have no f---ing time for that."

Quade continued to admonish the former Cubs pitcher.

"Respect is a two-way street," he said. "I don't want to hear anything about respect. If you ain't giving it, you ain't getting it."

The Cubs tried all spring to trade Silva, but didn't get any interest from any of the other 29 major league teams. According to a major league source, the Cubs let it be known that they would be willing to eat a large portion of Silva's $11.5 million 2011 salary. The source also said the Cubs were not asking for any players in return. However, there were still no takers.
bluestainedivy
I'm glad to hear they got rid of a bad apple. After the scuffle with ARam I had my doubts on him. Regardless of whether they'd made up their mind on Silva prior to the Spring starting he didn't do anything to change their minds.

I like how Quade has stood by his staff.

Changing the subject, did anyone hear about Luis Salazar getting hit in the eye with a foul ball and eventually losing his eye? Is the same Luis Salazar that played with the Cubs in the '90s? I know he played in Atlanta after he was with the Cubs.

Found it. Sorry to hear about this, but all things considered it sounds like he's doing well

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6223098

[This message has been edited by bluestainedivy (edited 3/27/2011 3:13p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
Really becoming a big Quade fan.

I started a thread on here about Salazar. And yes, he did play for the Cubs at one point in his career.

Cubs on WGN now.
Know Your Enemy
AG
http://mobile.texags.com/Forums/53/Topics/1808385
BobOliver2006
AG
quote:
Silva also said that the competition for the fifth starter's job was always weighted against him.

i see what he did there
Know Your Enemy
AG
Jake Fox is apparently mashing the ball this spring for the Orioles. He hit a monster bomb that landed him at #10 on the top plays of the day on ESPN. Only problem is that Scott Van Pelt called him JOHN Fox.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Tomorrow's Opening Day lineup

Fukudome RF
Castro SS
Byrd CF
Ramirez 3B
Pena 1B
Soto C
Soriano LF
Barney 2B
Dempster P

[This message has been edited by Dr. Cub, Esq. (edited 3/31/2011 2:12p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
That's what I get for trusting Muskat. She had Soriano & Soto flipped. I like the lineup better now, though I probably wouldn't have Byrd in the 3 hole.
10andBOUNCE
AG
why ***udome?

can't wait until he is gone
bluestainedivy
Happy opening day to everyone!

Glad to see Barney get the starting nod. I hope he has a Castro-like opening.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I have a Cubs shirt on at work and will be leaving at noon to be home in time to crack my first beer before the broadcast starts.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Looks like there is a good chance of rain this afternoon. It better not eff up Opening Day.
AgShaun00
AG
weather map not looking good.
First Page Last Page
Page 7 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.