Cubs thread v2.0

579,103 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by 10andBOUNCE
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had flashbacks to a game 11 years ago that went south quickly with 1 out in the 8th.
Know Your Enemy
AG
QUIT BRINGING THAT UP!!!!!
Stoli7
Was it me or did it look like phillips was posing after that hit? He knew it wasnt gone and he just stood there for a second.
. . .
Joe Maddon anyone? Could happen!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Lots of "insiders" are predicting he will end up with the Cubs. That would be fine by me.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Looks like Friday may be Maddon Day on the North Side.
. . .
Cubs have landed Maddon! (via Jon Heyman)
10andBOUNCE
AG
Hell yeah!
Know Your Enemy
TexAgs1992
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Lance Uppercut
AG
When I first heard he was leaving the Rays I thought "The Cubs would be smart to pick him up". Didn't think it would actually happen.
AgShaun00
AG
so the current manager hasn't been relieved of his duties yet?
. . .
Now he has.

quote:
@Cubs: #Cubs to replace manager Rick Renteria. Full statement: http://atmlb.com/1wODSsd
Know Your Enemy
AG
Renteria's firing is official. Now we only have to wait for the Maddon hire to be official. Hopefully that happens today.
AgShaun00
AG
renteria got shafted, but i am glad theo was honest about it in his statement.
bluestainedivy
So do this mean that Epstein and co. will be getting serious about competing this upcoming season? I suppose it makes more sense to project for next season (2016). I don't know a whole lot about Maddon other than he's a player's coach.

I like Maddon, don't get me wrong, but it sucks for Renteria. He was a good company guy working with young, inconsistent talent. He was slowly starting to get results and his guys were not playing the dumb Cubs baseball of years' past. I like Maddon, but I also feel bad for Ricky and don't like yet another stop on the merry-go-round of coaches. If Maddon sticks for a while, than obviously it's well worth it
Know Your Enemy
AG
I fully expect the Cubs to sign a #1 starting pitcher and possibly one more starter. It wouldn't shock me to see them make a play for Giancarlo Stanton either.
BobOliver2006
AG
quote:
I fully expect the Cubs to sign a #1 starting pitcher and possibly one more starter. It wouldn't shock me to see them make a play for Giancarlo Stanton either.
agreed
Know Your Enemy
AG
Because of construction at Wrigley, Joe Maddon's introductory press conference was held across the street at the Cubby Bear. He ended the presser telling the bartender that the first round of drinks for everyone was on him. I think I'm going to love this guy.
diehard03
quote:
renteria got shafted, but i am glad theo was honest about it in his statement.
Unfortunate? Sure...but shafted? He's still getting paid. There will be positions open next year.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Russell Martin anyone?
Say Chowdah
AG
Cubs fans:

You'll love him until you get tired of defending his dewshbagery. And you'll be doing that a lot!
10andBOUNCE
AG
Not interested for 60m over 4 years. Had a great year last season and all signs point to it being an anomaly. Good catcher but not worth what he'll be paid.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Rumors that the Cubs are talking trade with the Nats for pitcher Jordan Zimmerman.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Rumors squashed. Did seem strange Cubs potentially trading a top prospect for a stud pitcher that is only controlled for 2015. Definitely would not be opposed to Zimmerman.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm sure they wouldn't make a deal like that without an extension.
. . .
quote:
Cubs acquire INF Tommy La Stella and international signing bonus slot #4 from the Braves for RHP Arodys Vizcaino & Cubs slots 2, 3, 4. La Stella debuted with Braves last year and led NL rookies with 36 walks, .328 OBP. He owns a .322 AVG and .407 OBP in 288 minor league games.

Rosenthal:

quote:
Executives involved in bidding for Russell Martin believe Cubs are clear front-runner. Deal expected to be in four-year, $64M range.
AgShaun00
AG
i don't like that deal myself.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Im okay with Martin getting 4 years. 5 years is 2 too many IMO.

One aspect of bringing in a guy like Martin is the overall affect on the pitching staff and having him help mentor a guy like Schwarber as he starts his career. But yes on paper. 32 yo catcher who'll probably hit .260 isn't anything to fist pump at first glance.
Know Your Enemy
AG
4/$64 isn't too bad. I have no idea what to think about that trade, though.
10andBOUNCE
AG
I have no idea what Theo is gonna do with all of these middle infielders. If it were me Id take them all into this season and see who I want moving forward. I can't envision them hanging onto all of Castro, Baez, Alcantara (unless he really does stick in CF), Russell and new guy.
. . .
And there goes Martin to Toronto (5/82)
Know Your Enemy
10andBOUNCE
AG
Cubs reportedly offered Lester 135m over 6 years
Know Your Enemy
AG
Dave Martinez is coming back to Chicago and will continue as Joe Maddon's bench coach.
First Page Last Page
Page 51 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.