Cubs thread v2.0

577,634 Views | 6318 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by AgRyan04
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
baby steps
Lance Uppercut
AG
The Royals took Volstad for some reason. So that's at least one step in the right direction.

Germano and Manny Corpas both selected Free Agency after being sent to AAA.

I'm sure everyone is heartbroken by this series of moves.
Lance Uppercut
AG
-Cubs have shown interest in Scott Baker and Dan Haren.

-Also have been in contact with Dempster's agent.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Marmol for Haren deal is reportedly done.

[This message has been edited by Junkhead (edited 11/2/2012 7:07p).]
10andBOUNCE
AG
im assuming they ultimately want to flip him at the deadline next year for some prospects
BobOliver2006
AG
damnit this is dempster watch 2.0

I can't take it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Well the deal has hit an unknown snag. First reports were that Marmol blocked the trade but now word is that he OK'd the deal (or was going to do so) and we pulled the deal off the table. Maybe there were some red flags on Haren's medical reports? I don't know. Supposedly Marmol has a $13.5MM option that must be exercised by 11pm central time tonight so maybe this deal goes down in the next hour or so.
bluestainedivy
Like you said Junkhead, everything I've read on the rumor mill the deal didn't likely happen because of medicals. Anaheim was claiming they had another party who would take Haren but it looks like that was a lie. Something was up since Anaheim didn't pick up his option. It would've been cool to make the trade happen, but it's probably better it didn't pan out.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer tells Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago that he's already had dialogue with several teams in advance of the GM Meetings. Hoyer expects the offseason to unfold more quickly thanks to changes to the CBA (collective bargaining agreement). The team's biggest need will be starting pitching. Third base is an area of need, but the team wants to determine Ian Stewart's health first.

Seriously? You didn't see all you needed to from Stewart last season? In a good year he hits .250.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
The Cubs have agreed to terms with Scott Baker on a one-year contract, the team announced. The deal includes a $5.5MM base salary with $1.5MM in incentives

quote:
The Cubs announced that they have signed catcher Dioner Navarro to a one-year contract. Navarro will earn a base salary of $1.75MM with 250k in performance bonuses

Know Your Enemy
AG
#Cubs today acquired RHP Barret Loux and a player to be named from the Texas Rangers for RHP Jake Brigham.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Wise. Now if we can just get Wacha from the Cardinals...
BobOliver2006
AG
wow... Josh Vitters can't even hang in the Venezuelan Winter League.

www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-vitters-released-by-caracas-20121128,0,6876648.story
Lance Uppercut
AG
That article mentions that Theo is looking at Keppinger to fill in as his only remaining options are Valbuena and Stewart. Keppinger would be a welcome change .
10andBOUNCE
AG
This hypothetical trade was brought up on BN recently. See if you notice the other Aggie they say could join the fold.
quote:
Christina Kahrl suggests a trade the Red Sox should consider: “Trade to get Alfonso Soriano’s next two seasons and the last year that Matt Garza is under club control, sending Chicago a package of [Ryan] Kalish, [Jarrod] Saltalamacchia and minor-league prospects Alex Wilson and Matt Barnes.”
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs reportedly sign this Japanese closer.

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/japanese-reliever-beginning-visits-to-big-league-clubs.html
BobOliver2006
AG
the Cubs haven't exactly had the best success on the Asian front, but hopefully that changes here (although they somehow turned Hee-Seop Choi into D-Lee...)

i'm very intrigued to see what they get for Marmol and if they can top (a hypothetically healthy) Dan Haren
Know Your Enemy
AG
Check out this footage. Dude has some nasty stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRvoBiJXaYk
Know Your Enemy
AG
Rangers signed Randy Wells.

And I just realized a few posts were lost. My number was called for season tickets. Trying to make it work within my limited budget so I don't miss out on this opportunity.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Hasn't been mentioned, but we signed Nate Schierholtz to a one year deal for the outfield.

BobOliver2006
AG
Junkhead did you end up going to Wrigley last weekend to look at seats?
Know Your Enemy
AG
No, wasn't able to take a trip to Chicago but we did get the bleacher combo pack so now I'm officially a Cubs season ticket holder. If anyone needs Cubs tickets just let me know. We have 57 games to sell.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Really?

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 12/12/2012 2:53p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
Really. I am a Chicago Cubs season ticket holder.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Cubs almost added Anibal Sanchez but Detroit finally gave him what he wanted.

Almost had him for 5yrs / $75M - would have been a very reasonable deal
10andBOUNCE
AG
Cubs are thought to possibly be the leaders for Edwin Jackson. I think if this does happen, we need to sign Garza long-term, assuming he comes back strong from his arm injury last season.

Having Garza, Jackson and Shark absolutely is a solid 2/3/4 and if the Cubs could somehow snag a quality top of the rotation starter, we could be sitting pretty pitching-wise. Maybe if some of the Cubs prospects do well out of the gates in 2013, throw a nice package at Seattle for King Felix and hope to lock him up long-term?

[This message has been edited by Theo is a Touchdown (edited 12/19/2012 9:34a).]
Macpappy99
AG
Anyone else think they should look at adding Bourn?
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Patrick Mooney of CSN Chicago is reporting Jackson is in the fold at four years, $52 million, pending a physical.

Sweet.

I'm cool with giving Bourn a look.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Plans for some Wrigley renovations.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130109/wrigleyville/wrigley-field-renovation-plan-calls-for-movies-outside-park-hotel?utm_source=outbrain
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
Cubs President Theo Epstein has come to realize Alfonso Soriano is an excellent clubhouse presence because of his willingness to help younger players. With that and his excellent 2012 season, Epstein wants a player of note in any deal where the Cubs eat a majority of the $36MM left on Soriano's contract.

--Nick Cafardo, Boston Globe
Know Your Enemy
10andBOUNCE
AG
Soriano is basically getting paid to be Starlin's mentor
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
The Chicago Cubs are planning to spend $300 million and five seasons to do a complete renovation of Wrigley Field, the team announced officially on Saturday.

quote:
The park is slated to include features like:

Expanded concourse
New roof decks and outdoor concessions
Replaced roof
New seating
50 million pounds of steel and concrete removal
Batting tunnel for players
New clubhouse and locker rooms
Renovated suites and lounges
New press box
Increase number of restrooms by 42 percent
Increase concession and sales points by 107 percent

Know Your Enemy
AG
http://lakeview.patch.com/articles/photos-wrigley-renovation-to-cost-300m-take-5-years#photo-13025812
BobOliver2006
AG
everyone in business attire in the home plate club can GTFO!!
First Page Last Page
Page 40 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.