Cubs thread v2.0

578,542 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by 10andBOUNCE
bluestainedivy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lol, Bruce Miles

It's always good to sweep the 'stros even if we are competing for the #1 pick of next year's draft.
bluestainedivy
Sweep DP

[This message has been edited by bluestainedivy (edited 7/1/2012 10:41p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
Shark is back.
Lance Uppercut
AG
11 Ks.

This has been a good stretch, and like earlier in the year, most of it is coming on the back of great starting pitching.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Dare I say, the Rizzo effect?
Know Your Enemy
AG
4 in a row and 5-1 since Rizzo joined the team. Kid already has 3 game winning RBI. I'm sure I'm overreacting here, but I love what Rizzo did. Shows maturity and leadership IMO.

quote:
The Cubs are still on a learning curve, as evidenced in the second when Starlin Castro let Dan Uggla reach on a routine grounder after holding on to the ball too long. Samardzija was visibly upset on the mound.

After Samardzija got out of the inning, Sveum went over to talk to Castro. Rizzo interceded, taking the rap for being slow to cover first because of a defensive shift.

"I took full blame," Rizzo said. "It's my fault, in my opinion. I told him before to give me a little time. That's just me, not knowing Uggla's speed. I thought I had time."

Sveum apologized to Castro.

"Not that I'd said anything, but Rizzo came to his rescue right away, said, 'It was my fault," Sveum said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-0703-cubs-braves-chicago--20120703,0,6200411.story

[This message has been edited by Junkhead (edited 7/3/2012 8:01a).]
bluestainedivy
Yeah, the talent and skill on the field is great, but for a rookie to step up like that. That get's me excited about this guy. That shows leadership, for sure.
Lance Uppercut
AG
5-1 w Rizzo, and also 6 of 7

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 7/3/2012 6:58p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs win again. HR's from Rizzo & LaHair and another fine outing from Maholm.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Another productive game for Rizzo as the Cubs win 8-7 over Santana and the Mets.

The win puts the Cubs percentage points ahead of the Astros and out of last place, which is...something, anyway.
WhataMaroon88
AG
I placed a bet with a Met and Astro fan before the season that Cubs wouldn't finish behind both the Mets/Stros... so I definitely have something to root for.

And Rizzo was my prospect carry over from '11 in my NL only league... so he's really pushed my fantasy lineup over the hump.
BobOliver2006
AG
Marmol always has to make things interesting... at least he's looked a lot better since the DL... but tradeable? we'll see...
Know Your Enemy
AG
Dempster is pitching today.
TXAggie2011
AG
Theo should get the Mets on the phone and sell the heck out of Marmol. That bullpen in Queens is awful...
Know Your Enemy
AG
New Kerry Wood State Farm commercial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghITg_eq8Zo&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Lance Uppercut
AG
That commercial was great.

Cubs win again, 8-1 over Dbacks, while Soriano goes 4-4 w 2 HR. Maholm had an RBI squeeze and won his 7th game of the year.

What's the update for the record since Rizzo came up? The Cubs have been worth watching ever since he joined the team.
BobOliver2006
AG
11-4 with Rizzo...hopefully it doesn't completely hit the fan once the trades start...
SRCag18
AG
its actually fun to watch the Cubbies for the first time in a while. I always get mad when I see on my channel guide that MLB baseball is on WGN and I come to find out that its the White Sox.

also: what are the Cubs planning for the trade deadline? Will they trade Dempster? Are they looking at Victorino or Hamels from Philly?

[This message has been edited by seancliffy (edited 7/14/2012 10:04p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
Swept Arizona. Garza went 7 scoreless innings. Both he and Dempster have only increased their trade value in the last few games.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
The Cubs are exchanging names with teams interested in Ryan Dempster. The Dodgers, Tigers, Braves and Red Sox are in the mix. A friend of Dempster’s said the right-hander would probably approve a trade to Boston but considers the Dodgers a better fit. The Dodgers have enough prospects to build a package for Dempster, rival executives tell Rosenthal.

quote:
The Red Sox are still interested in Matt Garza, another potential trade chip.

--baseballtraderumors.com
Know Your Enemy
AG
I love the idea of trading with the Red Sox (and Padres). Who knows their farm system better than Theo (and Jed)?
BobOliver2006
AG
***waits for MLB to reject any deal with Boston due to lingering personnel restrictions as a part of Theo compensation***
bluestainedivy
Sounds like the Dodgers are the front runners, but I think there's a hangup on how much compensation they'll get in return. Supposedly, LA and ATL are at the top of Dempster's list.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Cubs win 4-2

A lot of good defense, a great 8 inning start from Maholm, a rocky save for Marmol, and a solo HR for Soriano.

5-1 on the home stand following the break. 14 of the last 18 are wins.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs have the best record in MLB since 6/26.
BobOliver2006
AG
so i decided I'm gonna go check out the I-Cubs next Friday in Oklahoma City... and who's in line to pitch? Chris f***ing Volstad! and of course I'll miss Raley by a day as well. rabble rabble!!
bluestainedivy
I don't know what the change has been to make them win, but this has been a fun team to watch. It's almost a shame to see us possibly lose some of the pieces, but I do understand the big picture.

Dempster's the #1 guy on the market. Dodgers and Cubs still haven't come to an agreement. meanwhile the Garza talks have cooled. I wonder if nothing will happen til Dempster goes and then we'll see a flurry of deals.
Dropkicked Murphy
Theo needs to do the right thing and give Garza to boston for practically nothing in return. He ****ed them up the ass hard with his last handful of FA signings before skating out of town when times got tough.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Go suck on some Dunkin Donuts.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Rough start for Dempster at Busch.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Garza left after the 3rd tonight with an undisclosed injury. Bob & Len speculating that it's just forearm cramps, but nothing official yet.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Matt Garza left tonight's game with cramping in his right triceps. X-rays were negative.
BobOliver2006
AG
when Garza was pulled, it was really weird situation... only 4-5 Cubs were out on the field as Dale Sveum went and talked to the home plate umpire... then Germano came out from the bullpen and everyone but Soriano, Germano, and Soto went back into the dugout as Germano warmed up. at that point I was sure Dale had brought everybody back in to say goodbye to Garza as he was being immediately sent out to wherever he had just been traded... only to find out that was not the case...

and i won't even discuss the epic bottom of the 7th cluster****.
bluestainedivy
Or game 3 either.

Nothing like a series in St. Louis to bring you back to reality. Well that except for the super hero shenanigans before the game...which I thought were pretty funny. Apparently, it was Matt Garza's idea.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Dempster traded to Atlanta. Return package not yet known. I hate to see him go as he's become one of my favorite Cubs, but this is definitely the right move. Hopefully he comes back next year.
First Page Last Page
Page 35 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.