Cubs thread v2.0

577,550 Views | 6318 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by AgRyan04
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted as it was still happening. There are several stories out there about Theo & Z meeting yesterday.
bluestainedivy
Sveum is Chicago and Boston press frontrunner for both the BoSox and Cubs. If I were a gambling man I'd say that Maddux will get the job.

Still not resulotion on compensation for Theo
bluestainedivy
Well, looks like the cubs have offered the spot to Sveum. He's got 24-48 hours to accept. Can't say I'm super excited

Granted, he was atop Boston's list. We shall see

[This message has been edited by bluestainedivy (edited 11/16/2011 11:01p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
Stupid family is keeping Maddux in Arlington.
J.J. Barea
poor cub
Know Your Enemy
AG
As much as I wanted Maddux, not getting him won't slow down Theo & Company one bit. They will get us to the promised land with or without him.
J.J. Barea
i was just kidding... the cubs have always been my distant second favorite team behind the rangers. cant wait to go to wrigley for a few next year
BobOliver2006
AG

quote:
Milwaukee Brewers manager Dale Sveum, center, talks with Corey Hart, left, and J.J. Hardy, right, during the baseball team's workout Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2008, in Philadelphia. The Brewers will face the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 1 of the National League Division Series on Wednesday in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Tom Mihalek)

seriously... how hard is it to edit a 3 year old caption? or is that an AP copyright issue?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/8888680-573/cubs-offer-manager-job-to-dale-sveum-mike-maddux-backs-out.html
dcrewint
Sveum accepts.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I thought I could keep quiet...but ****, this guy over Sandberg? Was it his vastly inferior career as a player, or his 12 games more as manager in MLB than Ryne that made him the obvious choice?
dcrewint
Being a Cards fan I like this move....
bluestainedivy
Yeah, something to keep up with your Matheny hire.

Actually, a lot of press and baseball brains are praising the move.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Oh, Lance.
BobOliver2006
AG
Sveum + Jaramillo... + Robin Yount??

if this team does not hit next year, there will be problems.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I want to know who the pitching coach is going to be.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
The next task for Sveum is choosing his coaching staff. He planned to spend part of Friday afternoon calling the holdovers from Mike Quade's staff.

"I need to talk to them about their philosophies and get to know them a little better right now," he said. "I don't know any of them well enough. I know (Pat) Listach enough, but I want to get to know about certain specifics."

Sveum did rule out a report that had him interested in hiring good friend Robin Yount as his bench coach.

"He's my best friend in the world, but that's not going to happen," he said.

Sveum said his bench coach will have to be "a very good friend of mine" who is not there to rubber stamp every move.

"Somebody I respect baseball knowledge-wise, somebody who can slow the game down, especially the National League game, and (have) thye ability to tell me to get my crap together. And at the same time, we can yell at each other and still be good friends.... That's the only way that position really works."

From the Trib
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
“A lot of coaches will get the spray charts from the opposing hitters and then position [the defense] based exclusively off of that,” Epstein said. “Dale, because of his work ethic, his preparation and his attention to detail, he’d get the spray charts then he’d sit and watch the last hundred ground balls on video from each of the opposing hitters. Then he’d sit down with the spray charts and make fine line adjustments based off what he’d seen with his own eyes.”
bluestainedivy
Matt Garza is on the trading block.
Know Your Enemy
AG
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-report-cubs-pursuing-pujols-fielder-20111129,0,3096075.story
bluestainedivy
If we get em both we can just sit one on the bench so that at least no one else can have him.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Greg Maddux has left the organization.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-maddux-leaving-cubs-20111129,0,3429830.story
Know Your Enemy
AG
Jamie Quirk is leaving the Astros to be Sveum's bench coach.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-quirk-announces-hell-be-cubs-bench-coach-20111129,0,5945957.story
bluestainedivy
So we know Listach is gone.
BobOliver2006
AG
use Prince at 1B and Pooholes at 3B. problem solved. he played 3B early in his career as well as occasionally this past season.
bluestainedivy
The Cubs signed David DeJesus (who is supposedly going to be their everyday RF) and I see chatter that they're close to a deal on Soriano. I would be shocked if that came to be a reality.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Crossing my fingers on the Soriano rumors
Know Your Enemy
AG
Theo
dcrewint
A deal with Soriano meaning dealing him? I would hope so for y'alls sake, he makes me laugh out in the outfield. Makes me think of Chris Duncan....lolz
bluestainedivy
Yeah, dealing him away, although I myself will not believe it until it happens.
BobOliver2006
AG
I will go ahead and add Sherman = Dusty to my A&M football = Cubs analogy
AgShaun00
AG
doubt next year will be good for the ags or cubs with new mgmt. Baseball is easier to turn around than football
bluestainedivy
I disagree, Bob. We lost a quality man last night that stood for everything we Ags proclaim to esteem.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Maybe we should hire Ryne Sandberg to coach Aggie football.

By the way, Chris Bosio was hired as pitching coach.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-cubs-hire-bosio-as-pitching-coach-20111202,0,1561096.story
BobOliver2006
AG
i'm not going too deep with the Dusty/Sherman comparison... just the fact that they had such high expectations that were not achieved and were subsequently terminated in the midst of chaos

BobOliver2006
AG
FINALLY!
First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.