Cubs thread v2.0

578,682 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by 10andBOUNCE
bluestainedivy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good point.

I have this mental association in my head between the cardinals and the packers. Need to turn this game off
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs exercised their option on Aramis, but he is going to decline and become a FA. Not a big surprise there.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7172437/agent-says-chicago-cubs-picked-option-aramis-ramirez-opt-out
10andBOUNCE
AG
Bittersweet with all roads pointing Aramis out of town. He came in the year we were supposed to win it all. Was the best third baseman we've had since Santo. He was a good Cub but time to part ways. No reason to keep him on our books as we rebuild. Glad Dempster will be sticking around.
BobOliver2006
AG
quote:
"It's a difficult deal to work out because it's too hard to quantify the value of Theo Epstein," Cherington said. "I have an idea of it, and Theo doesn't think he's worth as much as I do. We haven't been able to bridge that gap yet."

just made me wonder... when was the last time anybody negotiated a trade for themself?
bluestainedivy
Cubs and Sox need to be careful during these talks. This is the kind of stuff curses are made of.

I heard Dale Sveum is a name that has come as a possible manager. Don't know what the story is with Quade. I think the new heads met with him for about 7 hours on Monday or Friday.
Lance Uppercut
AG
According to a blog in the Tribune today, hunches are flying that Sandberg could be on board "by Thanksgiving".

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 11/2/2011 10:56a).]
10andBOUNCE
AG
For once I might have something Cubs related to be thankful for...Theo and Sandberg? Yes please!
Know Your Enemy
AG
I know Theo tried to hire Sandberg to manage Boston's AAA team, but I'd be surprised if he hired him to manage the Cubs. Ryno really has no background in statistical analysis at all and Theo & Co. are real big on that.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Good article on Jason McLeod.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/7027/mcleod-to-change-cubs-draft-philosophy
Know Your Enemy
AG
No shocker, but Quade has been officially let go.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
CHICAGO – Chicago Cubs President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein this afternoon released the following statement after traveling to Florida to inform manager Mike Quade that he would not return to the club for the 2012 season.

“Jed Hoyer and I had an all-day meeting with Mike last Thursday at Wrigley Field, and Mike and I continued our dialogue with a lengthy phone conversation yesterday after the press conference. Today, I flew to Florida to inform Mike in person that the Cubs have decided not to bring him back as our manager for the 2012 season.

“When I joined the Cubs last week, I knew that Mike had a reputation as an outstanding baseball guy, as a tireless worker, and as a first-rate human being. After spending some time with him this past week, it became apparent to me that Mike’s reputation is well deserved. His passion, knowledge of the game, commitment, and integrity stood out immediately. While Mike is clearly an asset to any organization and any major league staff, Jed and I believe that the Cubs would benefit long-term from bringing in a manager for 2012 who can come in with a clean slate and offer new direction.

“The managerial search process begins immediately. We are looking for someone with whom and around whom we can build a foundation for sustained success. The next manager must have leadership and communication skills; he must place an emphasis on preparation and accountability; he must establish high standards and a winning culture; he must have integrity and an open mind; and he must have managerial or coaching experience at the major league level.

“I want to thank Mike for his nine years of excellent service to the Cubs, and we certainly wish him well in the future.”

So much for you Ryno guys.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Chicago radio reporting that the Cardinals have been given permission to interview Ryne Sandberg for LaRussa's old job.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I've put it on here 100 times:

The Cubs already screwed up once not getting Sandberg. He's won at every level in the minors. He did everything they asked of him to be given a shot at the job in the majors, and then they gave the job to Quade. At all levels of A ball, he finished in first place, and then he went and finished in first place with a different organization's AAA team this year.

Ryno is a winner. He'll win with the Cardinals, and his presence alone would make the Cubs interesting in the next couple of years where Theo and Co. are trying to put together a WS caliber team.

The Cubs management should be on their knees at Sandberg's house begging forgiveness. If they squander another chance at doing something that so obviously deserves a trial, I would really feel like giving up. They already screwed over the hometown hero, and now they may let him go to our rival because they cooked up some formula that really has no bearing on managing ability.

Stupid stupid stupid. If they don't interview Sandberg, I'd make the potentially idle threat that I'm done with the Cubs. But I really feel that way right now. Incredibly stupid.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 11/2/2011 2:22p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
Now would be the absolute worst time in the last 100 years to give up on the Cubs.
bluestainedivy
I don't know if it would work, but I think he would be ideal as our bench coach. Didn't he finish the postseason on Philly's bench?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not sure if he was on the bench for the playoffs, but that would seem odd to me. Chicago radio reported that Theo called Ryno to personally let him know that he would not be in the mix and that Sandberg appreciated the phone call.
Macpappy99
AG
I'm guessing
Lance Uppercut
AG
How incredibly stupid.

It isn't odd to them that Sandberg is a candidate for their arch-rivals that are coming off a World Series win, and that the Red Sox are also rumored to be interested? That should tell you that someone with a pulse on what wins baseball games sees value in YOUR team's legend. (not that he's a sure hire)

****ing morons. Enjoy losing with Dale Sveum you imbeciles.
Tastybrisket10
AG
This is theo's team now.
bluestainedivy
http://www.bleachernation.com/2011/11/02/theo-epstein-contacted-ryne-sandberg-today-to-tell-him-he-wouldnt-be-a-candidate-for-cubs-managerial-opening/

Mike Quade is trending on twitter right now

...speaking of twitter, are any of you guys on twitter. Not gonna lie, the cubs thread has taken a back seat to it.

[This message has been edited by bluestainedivy (edited 11/2/2011 4:36p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
Yeah, I'm on Twitter. I follow too many people, though. I need to cut back.

Lance- I respect you as a poster, but I think you are completely overreacting to this. Putting aside the fact that Sandberg has zero major league coaching/managing experience, he is not a stats guy at all and that is something that will be (and should be) stressed with this organization going forward. At least Theo isn't wasting his time and getting his hopes up again. It's too bad the Daily Herald is behind a pay wall these days, but Barry Rozner talked to Ryno and got his comments on the situation today. I saw part of them on Twitter but heard them all on the radio. Unlike last year, Sandberg is not the least bit upset with the Cubs organization. He has a lot of respect for Theo and urged Cubs fans to have faith in Epstein. I highly doubt he gets the Cardinals job and would be surprised if he even got an interview in Boston. I loved Ryno as a player, but that doesn't mean that he will be great as a major league manager. I think you give way too much credit to Sandberg's winner personality. That alone is not going to guarantee a winner at Wrigley or anywhere. Epstein has a proven track record. I think I will trust his judgment going forward until he is proven wrong.

The name that intrigues me the most right now is Dave Martinez. He is also a former Cub, but more importantly he is Joe Maddon's right hand man in Tampa.
Know Your Enemy
AG
From ivy's link:

quote:
"Theo called me 10 minutes after they issued the press release [on Mike Quade] and told me that they have a list of guys and I’m not on it,” Sandberg said Wednesday afternoon. “He wished me good luck and said he hoped I got a chance somewhere soon.

“He didn’t owe me that at all. He didn’t have to do that. It was a classy move and I’m very appreciative of the phone call. In the end, I wished him and everybody there good luck.

“Cubs fans should have trust in Theo. They’re in great hands with him and Jed [Hoyer] and Jason [McLeod]. They’re heading in the right direction and they’re going to do everything in their power possible to get the Cubs where they ultimately want to be.”
Lance Uppercut
AG
Sandberg said that because he's a nice guy, and he already went and hitched his wagon to his backup plan and team that drafted him, the Phillies.

Just making the rounds in blogs and mlb sites, the Phillies fans don't want to lose their managing "prospect" and the Cardinals fans seem to be for Oquendo but seem to think Sandberg is a great idea.

I have no idea how you can think Sandberg would be a bad idea with the remaining list of people that have been mentioned for the job. Francona seems to be out of the picture as well. You say he has no experience, but who out of that group is a proven world beater?

Again, in the CUBS system, he finished in first place at A, AA, and then AAA. Then, once they screwed him last year, he went to the Phillies organization and won first place with them. Their team improved by 22 games and lost in the finals of the AAA playoffs. He was the 2010 manager of the year in AAA with the Cubs.

That's worth giving a look, and that's why other teams are doing while the Cubs aren't even looking into it. I can't say I'm surprised, and that's basically what Sandberg was saying too.

Sandberg is going to get a shot somewhere, and it looks like we've lost all chances of it being with the Cubs. Sure, he could be a miserable failure, but his success in managing to this point doesn't point to that happening. The Cubs are, most likely, going to be out of the playoffs for a few more years. Giving Sandberg the job in these first Theo years would have been a great trial...see if he's a good MLB manager while really having nothing to lose.

But of course not...Dale Sveum is the real answer, or the bench coach for Maddon, the one who hasn't managed a team in his life.

I can't give up on the Cubs completely. And I know Sandberg hasn't been hired by anyone. But the Cardinals will get a lot of respect from me for even interviewing Sandberg. If they hire him, I'll be rooting for them, and I never thought I'd say that.

I understand that he is no guarantee, and that someone else can do the job, but this seems like a big mistake to me....again, just like it was when we got QUADE instead of Sandberg.
BobOliver2006
AG
since Ricketts doesn't care about hiring guys under contract, when do the Girardi rumors begin?
BobOliver2006
AG
on a side note, i'm sick and f***ing tired of cardinals highlights playing everytime i get on the tribune or sun-times website.
J.J. Barea
I'm just curious but how did you Cubs guys end up being both Cub fans and A&M grads???
Know Your Enemy
AG
JJ- I was born & raised in Chicago. Moved to Texas with my parents after HS.

quote:
The Cubs are, most likely, going to be out of the playoffs for a few more years.

I don't agree with this at all.
BobOliver2006
AG
I was born and raised by Chicagoans in Texas. My family is all from the Chicago area, so I'd go up there every summer.
BobOliver2006
AG
quote:
While Sandberg is out, here's an ex-Cub that would excite the fanbase and rile up the clubhouse: Shawon Dunston. The scrappy shortstop is a special assistant with the San Francisco Giants and one of those unofficial coaches that helps out with the infielders. He has a great personality and would be the North Side version of Ozzie Guillen.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7183203/cubs-wise-go-lesser-known-name
Know Your Enemy
AG
**** no. Sandberg is WAY ahead of Dunston on the list of possible managers.
Lance Uppercut
AG
I suppose that's fair. I don't know what all moves are going to be made.
BobOliver2006
AG
the Dunston thing was so ridiculous that i had to post it
10andBOUNCE
AG
quote:
I was born and raised by Chicagoans in Texas. My family is all from the Chicago area

same for me
AgShaun00
AG
dunston was my favorite cub.... bring back the shawon-o-meter
Know Your Enemy
AG
Check out this article on part of Theo's interview process. ****ing brilliant.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-1104-process-cubs-chicago--20111104,0,5854329.story

Supposedly each interviewee will have a session with the Chicago media as part of the process as well so Theo can see how they will handle the press.
First Page Last Page
Page 21 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.