Cubs thread v2.0

573,253 Views | 6317 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by 10andBOUNCE
Lance Uppercut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Batting wise, I guess you're right.

Team BA is 10th overall in baseball. SLG and OPS are very middle of the pack, around 13th and 14th. However, we're also Top 10 in GIDP and Ks.

We have the 3rd lowest # of stolen bases in baseball.

We are dead last in baseball in fielding percentage.

The team ERA is 4th worst in baseball, at 4.44.

bluestainedivy
Lance, I think your stats point to something I've thought about a lot the second half of this season. The Cubs' problem is not really hitting, but more situational hitting. The last game of the last Cinci series and the Houston series are prime examples. We get the bases loaded with one or no outs (a perfect chance to KO the starting pitcher) and what happens, a weak strikeout or a sharp ground ball to third base quickly turned for a double play. In both of those instances the starter recovered to pitch a solid rest of the game.

I think Garza's the only one we can rely on from the starters. And he's a team player. I like Dempster, but he's just getting to the point where he gets himself into to many jams and he's losing enough of his edge to where he can't get out of them as easily. Wells, I'm willing to give a chance. Unfortunately, the last two seasons he's only pitched well when it hasn't counted. Other options mentioned are Casher and Shark. Cashner could be another Woody, IMO and might actually be a solid 6 IP starter. I just don't trust his durability. Shark and Russell will only be successfull long relief guys.

Heck, in my opinion the only rock in the back end of the bullpen was Marshall. The team needs to be blown up. I think Hendry got too caught up on signing that big contract player without looking down the road and looking to see how the pieces fit together strategically. IMO, Quade and his staff goes when the new GM comes (probably an inevitability) and the team is blown up. I even wonder if Soriano is cut. I say you keep Garza and the young pieces and begin disposing the rest. It looks to me like all the vets are just content living in Chicago and don't care much about quality ball. I don't think that will change if they stay around next year.

It's hard to say cause I like guys like ARam and Dempster, but it's time to go in a new direction and I'm sure a new GM will agree (depending on how much the Ricketts will allow).
Know Your Enemy
AG
Woody has a torn meniscus and is done for the season. He said he's only pitching for the Cubs next year. Otherwise, he's retiring.
10andBOUNCE
AG
He had a fairly productive year, nothing spectacular, but I think Wood is absolutely worth bringing back on a similar deal. This guy has been nothing bus class to the Cubs organization. One of the few players where I truly wish it would have been different for. Love Woody. Bring him back next year.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Soto had all 5 Rbis in last night's win.
10andBOUNCE
AG
almost 10% of his season total
bluestainedivy
Looks like ARam will miss his Wrigley farewell tomorrow with a quad injury. Despite his laziness at times on the basepaths, I did like the guy.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Unless Vitters is ready to make the jump, I think it's a mistake to not bring ARam back if we have any desire whatsoever to be competitive.
10andBOUNCE
AG
It would be more of a mistake to sign him to a 3 + year deal like he is apparently seeking
Know Your Enemy
AG
That depends on the money per season.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs win the last home game of the year, but Castro ends the final homestand with 199 hits. I think we head to STL next. I guess that's not a bad place for #200.
bluestainedivy
good point
10andBOUNCE
AG
Glad ARam got hurt, probably the only frickin way DJ would have gotten to start any games
10andBOUNCE
AG
Quade has to go.

According to Carrie Muskat, he is playing Pena more (over LaHair) to give him a chance at 30 HRs. Nice.
WhataMaroon88
AG
Wow, that's terrible... a manager should never look at statistical goals.

I'm not so worried about Pena coming back. I think he's 10 times what Soriano is doing. We need to blow up the outfield. Byrd and Soriano both bring nothing.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Starlin Castro picked up hit #200 tonight. Youngest Cub to ever do so.

Step 1 in ruining the Cardinals season complete. 5-1 victory to start the series.
Know Your Enemy
AG
So who is going to watch "Catching Hell" tomorrow night? I'm interested to see what angle they take, but I'm not sure I can bear to re-live that horrible memory. It still haunts me to this day.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Definitely going to watch. Like you said, I hate living that unbearable moment, but I imagine it would be a pretty interesting documentary. I wish it wasn't part of Cubs history, but it is.
bluestainedivy
I didn't see it. Thoughts? Everyone asked me if I saw it, but I didn't care to know when it was and wasn't crazy about watching it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
It was fairly well done, but a painful 2 hours to sit through. There are some interesting parts that give new info on the happenings of that night.

So what do you guys think about possibly bring Theo Esptein &/or Tito Francona to the Cubs?
10andBOUNCE
AG
I don't want either, personally.

Theo has made some TERRIBLE signings - the same kind that have hampered the Cubs for the past few years. I'd much rather have a guy who's used to building a winner in a small market with a proven history of a solid farm system. Friedman would be my ideal pick. Maybe Shapiro.

On the manager side, this may be extremely emotional, but I want Ryno. I don't care if he has never managed in the bigs before. I want him not only because I think he would be good, but because he would re-ignite Chicago like it needs badly. He is hungry and passionate. I want. I don't think I'd want Francona, especially him coming from a club where he may be emotionally drained from. He's been through a lot. I want someone fresh and on fire. I think Ryno would be a lights out pick.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Theo also put together TWO World Series winners that were managed by Francona.
bluestainedivy
My ideal scenario:

GM: Theo
MGR: Tito
Bench Coach: Ryno

I don't know if Ryno would take that position though.

I think Friedman may be my runner up for GM. Definitely don't want to see HOU get him.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs have asked permission to speak with Theo.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-report-cubs-ask-for-permission-to-speak-with-epstein-20111004,0,4741885.story
bluestainedivy
I'm hearing mixed reports about the likelihood of him joining the Cubs. I haven't been so excited about Cubs management moves since they hired Ry...er, Mike Quade!

[This message has been edited by bluestainedivy (edited 10/4/2011 10:00p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-henry-talks-about-epstein-20111007,0,1891365.story
10andBOUNCE
AG
It definitely feels like Theo is THE target. I obviously would be extremely happy if this happened. Friedman just has a little more appeal to me. After everything he has been able to do with Tampa over the years. Sounds like he is #2 on the list per rumors. Either way, I'd be happy. Both would be an extreme upgrade to the organization.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I wonder if this dude posts on TexAgs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/ct-spt-1009-gm-cubs-chicago--20111009,0,1309358.story
bluestainedivy
The latest I've heard is that Jimmy Johnson was spotted at Wrigley too.

One day, maybe I'll be rich enough to afford a Honda SUV.
Know Your Enemy
AG
http://bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1372633&position=0
10andBOUNCE
AG
It's also been rumored that Theo is a "fan" of Sandberg. He apparently tried to hire him to manage the Red Sox AAA affiliate last year.
toucan82
oh snap
diehard03
Reporting its a done deal up here
10andBOUNCE
AG
yup, hearing on ESPN radio that it's done

5 years, $15M
Know Your Enemy
AG
Buster Olney is reporting a done deal for 5 years and nearly $20MM. Supposedly $3.6MM of that will go to the Red Sox in exchange for letting Epstein out of the last year of his deal.
First Page Last Page
Page 19 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.