Cubs thread v2.0

578,982 Views | 6320 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by 10andBOUNCE
Lance Uppercut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My disdain for umpires continues to increase
Know Your Enemy
AG
If the Cubs finish 7-5 the Brewers would have to go 9-2 just to tie.
diehard03
Quote:

They have a 99.9% chance to make the playoffs. They are still a 71% chance to win the division. (Per fangraphs)

it's now up to 88% for the division.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Junkhead said:

If the Cubs finish 7-5 the Brewers would have to go 9-2 just to tie.
Get at least one of these last 2 in Arizona.... then get to spend the rest of the regular season in Chicago!

And getting healthy.
Macpappy99
AG
Is this going to be like 2015 where the top three teams are from the Central and they're stuck playing each other in the elimination game and NLDS? Outside of home field advantage, what good does it do to win the division and then have to play either the second or third best team in the league in the first round?
Mozart Paintings
AG
Biz Ag
AG
Morrow done for the year
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not a banner offseason for Theo.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Is anyone comfortable with our bullpen? I keep reading how it is statistically performing very well, however my confidence level all year has been low and isn't any different now. I've even gotten into some debates with other fans and I seem to be in the minority.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not really but you have to realize that Montgomery will move back to the pen in the playoffs since we only need 4 starters. Plus hopefully we get Strop back and there are more off days so we shouldn't have to use too many different relievers in key situations.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Well this isn't going to be good for Addison
diehard03
Quote:

however my confidence level all year has been low and isn't any different now. I've even gotten into some debates with other fans and I seem to be in the minority.

it's the nature of bullpens. You simply remember the times they implode. Also, you should be a little concerned. You've lost your best reliever for the reason and who knows when your 2nd best reliever is coming back. Also, your "future closer" in CEJ has been shaky for awhile.

Now, the interesting thing will be if Maddon reverts to 4.5 IP by starters or if he will let them go longer because he doesn't have a deep bullpen right now.
diehard03
Quote:

I don't know what the Cubs and MLB can really do. They already went through this before.
Know Your Enemy
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I don't know what the Cubs and MLB can really do. They already went through this before.
No, they didn't. She refused to cooperate before so they had nothing to go on. Now they do. He needs to be suspended for the rest of the season and traded or DFA'd in the offseason. He cannot ever put on the Cubs uniform again.
Biz Ag
AG
Russell Placed on Administrative Leave by MLB
Mike Elko
AG
Cubs should've traded Russell and Happ for Machado when they had the chance. Knew that was a mistake the second Dodgers got him. Smell ya later, Addison.
AgShaun00
AG
He was going to be the odd man out anyway with Beaz emerging. Happ and Schwarbs needs a place.
pasquale
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

Cubs should've traded Russell and Happ for Machado when they had the chance. Knew that was a mistake the second Dodgers got him. Smell ya later, Addison.

They had that opportunity and didn't take it??
Know Your Enemy
AG
pasquale said:

AustinAg2012 said:

They had that opportunity and didn't take it??

No, they didn't.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Screw that dude..... he won't play for the team again.

Yesterday was a good day. Closing in on another division title!
diehard03
Quote:

No, they didn't. She refused to cooperate before so they had nothing to go on. Now they do. He needs to be suspended for the rest of the season and traded or DFA'd in the offseason. He cannot ever put on the Cubs uniform again.

I'm not defending him because he's a known ****bag. Right now the formal process is doing it's thing. But let's not get it twisted that Theo didn't know about his situation...just like he knew Chapmans.

The Cubs have already conceded the moral high ground about guys on their roster.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not defending the FO at all but there's a huge difference between the two situations. Chapman had already served a suspension for domestic violence and they traded for him.
diehard03
Not really. A bad guy is a bad guy. Professional teams know about things well in advance. This wasn't KB's wife writing this blog post.
Know Your Enemy
AG
You can't see the difference between the two situations? They're both pieces of **** human beings but it's not quite apples to apples.
Mike Elko
AG
Considering the Dodgers traded five minor league prospects for him, I bet the Orioles would've accepted a combination of Russell/Happ and low-level prospects. Shortstop swap was required. Baltimore dumped everyone worth a crap on their roster, and not much was needed in return.
diehard03
I just don't think the distinction matters with this topic.
Know Your Enemy
AG
diehard03 said:

I just don't think the distinction matters with this topic.

The distinction only matters if you're criticizing Theo & Co for not acting sooner. They knew he had a questionable personal life. Apparently he'd been talked to several times about his partying ways (see my previous post about him being at a bar at 3am the night before a day game) but it wasn't enough to suspend him or discipline him really. I wish they would have used that knowledge to trade him away while he still had value though.
diehard03
Quote:

The distinction only matters if you're criticizing Theo & Co for not acting sooner. They knew he had a questionable personal life. Apparently he'd been talked to several times about his partying ways (see my previous post about him being at a bar at 3am the night before a day game) but it wasn't enough to suspend him or discipline him really.

I think you're only seeing what you want to see. His checkered personal life is well rumored and you know the Cubs have the resources to track everything down.

They made a risk assessment about things going public and they lost that gamble. Pretty simple.

(or, even simpler, the money to keep her quiet ran out, and she used her ammunition)
Know Your Enemy
AG
You're completely missing my point.
diehard03
Quote:

You're completely missing my point.

Again, I'm not...it's just that the distinction doesn't matter as I've said.

Anyway, looks like the Cubs are going to dick around with this thing until the very end. Last series with Cards going to be a thing. They are fighting to keep their playoff spot and Brewers have the Tigers. Ugg.
BoDog
AG
I called this scenario 10 days ago and most of you scoffed at my assessment of how things are spiraling. I hope I am dead wrong, but I dont think they will win the central.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Even if the Cubs go 3-3 in the last 6 games Milwaukee would need to go 4-1 just to tie.
diehard03
Quote:

I called this scenario 10 days ago and most of you scoffed at my assessment of how things are spiraling. I hope I am dead wrong, but I dont think they will win the central.

Still 83% to win the division. You said if they still hold on to make the playoffs. Their magic number is 1 or 2 to clinch the playoffs.
diehard03
Quote:

Even if the Cubs go 3-3 in the last 6 games Milwaukee would need to go 4-1 just to tie.

Have to be cards fans and colorado haters right now. Hopefully, Cards can clinch early in our series and/or the Pirates lay down for the rest of the series.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs are 99.9% to make the playoffs.
First Page Last Page
Page 158 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.