Cubs thread v2.0

577,770 Views | 6318 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by AgRyan04
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Soto back today and now Sori pulls up lame running to first. He'll probably be on the DL by tomorrow.
bluestainedivy
Cubs pitchers serving up BP and the ump bails Houston out of a balked in run in the bottom of the 5th.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Just got back from Wrigley - so daggum hot.

Have to find a way to win after we put up 6 on the board. And yes, our pitchers were tossing up batting practice. It was ugly. But then again, Towles is a good hitter, right?
AgShaun00
AG
I don't really enjoy watching this team. Every critical situation, they rarely come up with the big play. I think Hendry is gone after this year. Thinking back, I am not sure of the contracts and all that, but why go after a .220 hitter with Pena when you could have gotten Berkman. The risk was the same with more upside with berkman. Why is dewitt playing in the outfield?
10andBOUNCE
AG
I think Hendry is just about done. On top of the head scratching roster moves this season and contracts he has made in the past, he has shown he is not going to take the franchise where we all want it to be anytime soon.

Along with that, it looks like Quade is in over his head. He has been in lock-step with Hendry, with many head scratching roster moves and in-game decisions that leave the fan always wondering, WTF?

The Cubs have a lot of money coming off the books this offseason, and I want them to give that opportunity to build to a new GM and manager. This of course is assuming their below average performance continues this season. I personally would love for them to get on their knees and beg Ryno for forgiveness and allow him to begin his big league managing career where he belongs.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Why is dewitt playing in the outfield?

Because everyone is hurt.

I hope we can dump Pena for something at the trade deadline. I have been very surprised at what Darwin Barney has been doing so far. My dad always raved about him, but my expectations weren't high. This Campana kid in CF has been fun to watch, too. It's nice to see some blazing speed on the basepaths. Brett Jackson may get called up from what I read now that he is back off the DL. He is very highly regarded and is considered a future star. I'm almost ready to just let the kids take over for the rest of the year and let's see what we have in them.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Sandberg's AAA Phillies affiliate team is 31-19 and in first place.

He was the AAA coach of the year in the Cubs organization last year.

The man was a HOF player who played almost exclusively for our team. He was told to succeed as a coach in the minors and he did, every year. Then Quade gets the job because he had a decent record in late August and September.

Not to mention a Sandberg managed team would have been good for business, and made the team infinitely more interesting.

I'd agree that the team wouldn't have been great this year even with him at the helm, but Quade has made more than a handful of questionable decisions that have cost us games. He hasn't looked good in situations where he could have.

First, I think that the fans would have been more eager to look at the real culprits, ownership and Hendry, than the manager for this season's failings with Sandberg at the helm instead of Quade. They may anyway.

All I know is that Sandberg was already a HOFer for our team, did what they asked of him, and got screwed. He went to another team's AAA affiliate, so he was obviously mad, and rightfully so. I just hope he isn't good at holding a grudge.

[This message has been edited by Lance Uppercut (edited 5/31/2011 6:24p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
****ing Marmol.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Swept by the ****ing last place Astros. What a ******* joke.
bluestainedivy
Any word on ARam's injury? He gonna end up on the DL? Whoever mentioned the Cubs playing their prospects will probably get his wish, although probably not in the manner he wished.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Aramis has a fat lip with some stitches. I doubt he misses much time, if any.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The honeymoon may be over for Ricketts.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-cubs-owner-tom-ricketts-plays-fans-for-stupid-20110602,0,1480359.column
bluestainedivy
I was just about to post about this topic. Personally, I don't think it's over yet. I really didn't have high expectations for this season and the Ricketts themselves didn't project this to be a spectacular season. When you ask the owners what's wrong not every one of them will answer like the New York Mets' owner. As a business man you can't deride your assets or they will lose their value. That being said, the Garza trade does remain a head scratcher for me. I like Garza, but the move seemed to be contrary to the direction we were going. The Ryno deal bugged me because I'm a huge Ryno fan, but honestly, I haven't made a decision on whether the direction they took was good or bad. Maybe Quade doesn't last and you bring Ryno in next year. I don't know what the relationship is like currently and I don't know how interested the Ricketts are in him.

Hendry and Kenney need to go after the season. I think they have much to do with the state of the team the Ricketts inherited and carried into this season. Our window for winning closed about 2 seasons ago.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The relationship with Ryno is not good right now, but I imagine that could be smoothed over if Hendry gets canned and we offer him Quade's job.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Two straight extra inning walkoff HR's for Pujols.
bluestainedivy
I think the wheels are now officially off the bus after Z's comments regarding Marmol's pitch selection and the team's overall level of play.

I wonder what the likelihood is of him being traded now.
Agnzona
Are the Cubs the worst team of the millennium?
TXAggie2011
AG
Is this going to be worst Cubs season in the millenium? Maybe, although the pitching will certainly improve at some point. It has to, right?

Have the Cubs been the worst club of the millenium? Not at all.

[This message has been edited by TXAggie2011 (edited 6/5/2011 11:16p).]
10andBOUNCE
AG
Totally agree with Z and I don't think it was a typical Z breakdown. I get tired of hearing excuses. Tell it like it is. Get better./
bluestainedivy
I agree with Z just don't agree with him saying it to the media. Heck, I don't care if he tells the media they're playing like a triple-a team. Just don't throw your teammate under the bus.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bravo to Z. He's 100% right. This team is so ****ing stupid. And for the record, he didn't specifically call anyone out. He kept saying "WE". It's more than just Marmol blowing yet another save. Someone needs to kick this team in the ass. If Kerry Wood would have said the same thing, all these idiot sportswriters would be praising him. Because it's Z, they're ripping him. Of course, this probably means our idiot GM will dump Z as quickly as possible and not get anything worthwhile in return.

I'll go ahead and predict that Zambrano is pitching for the Red Sox before this month is over. I'd hate to see him go, but he deserves better at this point. Plus hopefully then it will lead to Hendry finally getting sent to the unemployment line. Ditch the old players, let the kids play to see what we have, and start preparing for a new regime with more payroll flexibility in 2012.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Add more fuel to the fire....Robert Whitenack, who tore it up at A earlier this season and got promoted to AA and continued his success, is having Tommy John.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=whiten001rob
AgShaun00
AG
I agree with Z also.

Hill called for the fastball and Marmol shook him off.

Somebody needs to say something and light a fire.
bluestainedivy
I would like to like Z but he's only a good team player if the team's doing well (Maybe). I don't blame him for being frustrated, but once again, he's done a poor job of dealing with it.
AgRyan04
and in the first round of the 2011 Major League Baseball draft the Chicago Cubs select....

Javiar Baez, shortstop, HS in Florida. 6'0" 180 lbs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Agnzona
Today on the radio the local AZ sports talk they said the Dbacks are working on a trade for Woods.

[This message has been edited by Agnzona (edited 6/6/2011 10:06p).]
Know Your Enemy
AG
Who is Woods?
bluestainedivy
Tiger, I guess.
Macpappy99
AG
Wood has a full no trade clause. No sure he would waive it considering he came back to Chicago to be with his family and to take a position with the team after he is done.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Cubs win! Cubs win! Holy cow! Cubs win!
Know Your Enemy
AG
2 game winning streak!
bluestainedivy
This is our year.
WhataMaroon88
AG
Nice to see Z step up and only give up 7 ER in his start. He should know not to groove a 2-0 fastball to Polanco. F'ing loser. Wish he would just retire and STFU already.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Hasn't Z been pitching real well lately? Everyone's allowed a bad start now and then.
WhataMaroon88
AG
Who cares if he's been pitching well lately.. he wants to talk about his teammates to the media, then he needs to step it up. He's an asshat.
First Page Last Page
Page 14 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.