Cubs thread v2.0

577,578 Views | 6318 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by AgRyan04
bluestainedivy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MLB's probably the best of all the major sports of protecting their broadcasts.

Did anyone see the Reed Johnson catch the other day? I'm still going back to watch it.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_05_13_sfnmlb_chnmlb_1&mode=wrap&c_id=chc
Know Your Enemy
AG
Well, Zambrano HAD a nice lead.
bluestainedivy
I don't know if it's a Quade problem or a Riggins problem, but they need to begin to anticipate when a pitcher needs to come out. Z just gave up 4 in the 6th with only one out.

If you're playing a tough team you gotta be extra cautious IMO
10andBOUNCE
AG
Colvin being sent to the minors

Wells has a rehab start at Peoria today

Cashner felt tightness again in his shoulder and is having an MRI
bluestainedivy
This team is absolutely disgusting. Can't do anything to help themselves. Stupid errors. Excellent scoring opportunities with little results on the scoreboard.

Woody really needs to keep that leadoff batter off the bases.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
I don't know if it's a Quade problem or a Riggins problem

That would have to be on Quade, wouldn't it? How many games have you watched this year where Dempster or Zambrano are losing it in the 6th and he lets it go not one run too long, but often much more than that?

I'll use this time to complain again...I think we really blew it not offering Sandberg. He did well for the Iowa team, and he bailed to the Phillies (who he came up with). That sounds like a bridge burned. I can't imagine the team this year would be doing any worse at this point, but even if Ryne was in over his head, it would have been 100x more entertaining.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Got to Boston today. Weather is ****ty. It's cold, overcast, and rainy right now. I hope it clears up by Friday.
Lance Uppercut
AG
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110517/sports/705179746

"Quade good for admitting Cubs bad"

Uh...great?
10andBOUNCE
AG
I love Boston - hopefully the weather gets better so you can enjoy the city and the games
bluestainedivy
Funny...the Cubs are playing the fish and the Bulls are playing the heat.

I hate both teams.
WhataMaroon88
AG
You hate the Marlins? Interesting. Why?
Know Your Enemy
AG
2003, I'm guessing.
WhataMaroon88
AG
Ahhh... I guess I never really thought about it. I hated Alou after that.. haha

(Because of his POS attitude... I think that was what started the implosion)

[This message has been edited by WhataMaroon88 (edited 5/18/2011 10:34p).]
bluestainedivy
2003 was the start. They had our number for several years after that. Plus, they seem to consistently have a solid team, but no one goes to their games...and somehow, they're building a new stadium.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Heard the Sox are wearing throwbacks this weekend. I hope the Cubs do, too.
JuliusCaesarAggie
nvm

[This message has been edited by JuliusCaesarAggie (edited 5/20/2011 10:17a).]
bluestainedivy
Tune in tomorrow for the "Turn Back The Clock" Game where #Cubs & #RedSox will wear uniforms from 1918.
Say Chowdah
AG
Saw the pics of them on the pregame show on NESN. The Sox uni looks more like an old fashioned malt shoppe server uniform. It was all white with no letters and a white ball cap. But it will still be as awesome as it will get tomorrow night!
Know Your Enemy
AG
Fenway is beautiful. Reminds me a lot of Wrigley. The fans are hit & miss. The older ones were very nice, the younger ones were dewshers. Watching BP from on top of the Green Monster was one of the coolest things I've ever done. I even caught a ball. I think it was hit by Mike Cameron. Supposedly one of the other guys up there got it on video. I got his contact info, so hopefully I'll get a copy of that. All in all, it was a great day. Too bad the Cubs suck ass.
bluestainedivy
That's quite the experience OS. I'm jealous
WhataMaroon88
AG
Glad you are having a good time. I was up there last May for an Angels/Red Sox game. Was in RF for bp and shouted out to Mike Cameron. He threw me a ball, but some ahole jerked it away from me... and tore my arm up as it scraped across that shingled portion of the wall.

You just have to be careful with your seating... some really bad seats there.
bluestainedivy
Well, Garza has been scratched from tomorrow night's game with elbow tightness. TRANSLATION: He's out for the season.

In other news, Byrd was taken to the hospital after getting hit below the eye with a pitch. He walked off the field under his own power.
Know Your Enemy
AG
That sucks about Garza. Much more fun at the ballpark tonight, though.
bluestainedivy
Just saw the replay of the Byrd hit. Few things make me shudder like seeing a man kick and squirm from a hit to the head.
AgRyan04
My brother and I just secured tickets to Pearl Jam's 20th Anniversary gig at Alpine Valley over Labor Day weekend so we're going to go all out....

Thursday night: Camp Randall - Wisconsin's season opener
Friday: Wrigley - Cubs v. Pirates
Saturday: PJ
Sunday: PJ
Monday: Fly home and sleep like a MOFO

Anyways - how on earth has no one created a website like this for Wrigley yet?

http://www.preciseseating.com/index.php

That was incredibly clutch for our trip to Fenway last season. I've come across a couple that were helpful but nothing in the same hemisphere as that site. I expected more out of my fellow Wrigley Faithful.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
'00 Wyoming | '00 UTEP | '00 tech | '00 Colorado | '00 @Baylor | '00 Kansas St | '00 Oklahoma | '01 McNeese St | '01 Oklahoma St | '01 Notre Dame | '01 Baylor | '01 Iowa St | '01 t.u. | '02 La-Lafayette | '02 Virginia Tech | '02 La Tech | '02 tech | '02 Nebraska | '02 Oklahoma | '02 Missouri | '03 Arkansas St | '03 Utah | '03 Pitt | '03 Baylor | '03 @Nebraska | '03 Oklahoma St | '03 Kansas | '03 t.u. | '04 Wyoming | '04 Clemson | '04 Kansas St | '04 Colorado | '04 tech | '04 @t.u. | '05 Cotton Bowl | '05 SMU | '05 Baylor | '05 Oklahoma St | '05 Iowa St | '05 t.u. | '06 Citadel | '06 La-Lafayette | '06 v Army | '06 La Tech | '06 tech | '06 Missouri | '06 @Baylor | '06 Oklahoma | '06 Nebraska | '06 @t.u. | '06 Holiday Bowl | '07 Montana St | '07 Fresno St | '07 La-Monroe | '07 @Miami | '07 Baylor | '07 Oklahoma St | '07 @Nebraska | '07 Kansas | '07 t.u. | '08 Arkansas St | '08 @New Mexico | '08 Miami | '08 Army | '08 Kansas St | '08 tech | '08 Colorado | '08 Oklahoma | '08 @Baylor | '08 @t.u. | '09 New Mexico | '09 Utah St | '09 UAB | '09 v Arkansas | '09 Oklahoma St | '09 Iowa St | '09 @Colorado | '09 @Oklahoma | '09 Baylor | '09 t.u. | '09 Independence Bowl | '10 SFA | '10 La Tech | '10 FIU | '10 v Arkansas | '10 Missouri | '10 texas tech | '10 Oklahoma | '10 @Baylor | '10 Nebraska | '10 @t.u. | '11 Cotton Bowl

bluestainedivy
That's pretty schmancy. I wonder what all it took to get that all put together.

Congrats on the tickets. Camp Randall? Is that the Wisconsin football opener?
bluestainedivy
I like bleachernation. They usually say what I'm thinking. Sometimes more eloquently, sometimes less.

Mike Quade’s a Fool for Pinch Hitting Carlos Zambrano and Other Bullets

By Ace on May 26, 2011

Mike Quade was pretty angry that the umpires decided to call for a rain delay with two outs in the top of the seventh last night, and came out to argue for a few minutes. You don’t see that very often, but Quade was right to plead his case. Everyone knew that once that tarp came out, it wasn’t coming off.

Quade’s been catching some flack for using Carlos Zambrano as a pinch hitter when the Cubs were already up big on Tuesday night. Folks have the criticism right, but the rationale wrong. They say Quade’s a fool for using Z as a pinch hitter when he’s one of two regular starting pitchers who’s actually healthy; pfft. The real reason Quade’s a fool for using Z as a pinch hitter? Zambrano is *terrible* at it! His hit on Tuesday (which squeaked through the infield) was his first in his last 14 pinch hit appearances. For his career as a pinch hitter, he’s got just three hits and 14 strikeouts in 29 at bats, and a .103/.103/.103 line.
Quade isn’t exactly eager to get Tony Campana a start in the outfield, but it could be coming soon. ”Somewhere along the line [Campana will start],” he said. “I think Reed [Johnson] is playing too well. It’s not out of the question that with the knuckleballer [R.A. Dickey] throwing [today] we’ll have some fun with ‘Campy.’ But right now the guys we’ve got in place are doing well. Yeah, I’d like to look for spots, but not unless an opportunity presents itself for me. It hasn’t yet. I look every day.”
Aramis Ramirez has just one home run all season, that coming on April 6. He’s slugging .366 in May. Of this and the complete lack of power from the rest of the Cubs, Quade says, “We’ll always take the homers. Just putting together quality at-bats. If they’re not home runs, a double here and there, but basehits are fine.” Quade is either playing nice with his superstars, or he hasn’t a clue about the relative value of a home run versus a “basehit.” Because I can’t fathom the latter is true, I’ll assume it’s the former. Either way, the lack of power on this team is a serious problem.
Geovany Soto’s first game-like rehab effort was a success yesterday in Arizona, at least insofar a hitless performance against a bunch of low-level minor leaguers and rehabbing vets could be considered a success. He is healthy and headed for a couple games at AA Tennessee. Assuming he still feels good, he’ll be back with the Cubs on Saturday.
Mike Quade sums up what most of us have been thinking about Darwin Barney: “I kept talking about him as an overachiever. Maybe I miss-evaluated him. Maybe he’s not an overachiever, maybe he’s just damn good.”

http://www.bleachernation.com/2011/05/26/mike-quades-a-fool-for-pinch-hitting-carlos-zambrano-and-other-bullets/
AgRyan04
Yeah, it's their season opener....seeing a game at Camp Randall is on my sports bucket list so I can knock that one off my list.

The trip kind of fell together....we knew we wanted to go to PJ and there is no way that I'm flying into O'Hare in the summer and not seeing a game at Wrigley....before we knew the dates of the shows we were looking at what Big 10 schools were playing at home that weekend and Wisconsin being on Thursday was a perfect fit.

I'm probably a little too excited.

'00 Wyoming | '00 UTEP | '00 tech | '00 Colorado | '00 @Baylor | '00 Kansas St | '00 Oklahoma | '01 McNeese St | '01 Oklahoma St | '01 Notre Dame | '01 Baylor | '01 Iowa St | '01 t.u. | '02 La-Lafayette | '02 Virginia Tech | '02 La Tech | '02 tech | '02 Nebraska | '02 Oklahoma | '02 Missouri | '03 Arkansas St | '03 Utah | '03 Pitt | '03 Baylor | '03 @Nebraska | '03 Oklahoma St | '03 Kansas | '03 t.u. | '04 Wyoming | '04 Clemson | '04 Kansas St | '04 Colorado | '04 tech | '04 @t.u. | '05 Cotton Bowl | '05 SMU | '05 Baylor | '05 Oklahoma St | '05 Iowa St | '05 t.u. | '06 Citadel | '06 La-Lafayette | '06 v Army | '06 La Tech | '06 tech | '06 Missouri | '06 @Baylor | '06 Oklahoma | '06 Nebraska | '06 @t.u. | '06 Holiday Bowl | '07 Montana St | '07 Fresno St | '07 La-Monroe | '07 @Miami | '07 Baylor | '07 Oklahoma St | '07 @Nebraska | '07 Kansas | '07 t.u. | '08 Arkansas St | '08 @New Mexico | '08 Miami | '08 Army | '08 Kansas St | '08 tech | '08 Colorado | '08 Oklahoma | '08 @Baylor | '08 @t.u. | '09 New Mexico | '09 Utah St | '09 UAB | '09 v Arkansas | '09 Oklahoma St | '09 Iowa St | '09 @Colorado | '09 @Oklahoma | '09 Baylor | '09 t.u. | '09 Independence Bowl | '10 SFA | '10 La Tech | '10 FIU | '10 v Arkansas | '10 Missouri | '10 texas tech | '10 Oklahoma | '10 @Baylor | '10 Nebraska | '10 @t.u. | '11 Cotton Bowl

Know Your Enemy
AG
It might be time to give that sig a rest, Ryan.
bluestainedivy
LOL

I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of either Wisconsin football or Pearl Jam. PJ's fine although they've evolved into music lately that I don't care for as much. Yeah, I'm one of those guys that really liked Ten and didn't care too much for the bulk of their work afterwards. Still, if I had an opportunity to go to either event, I'd go.
AgRyan04
Only because you asked Doc....I actually saw it on my mobile today - it is a bit gaudy. If there was a way to make it a smaller font I think it would have worked better.

I'm not a huge Wisconsin fan but for some reason I've always wanted to go see a game there....as for PJ - love'em. I was a 10 Club member when I was in middle school (wish I still had that member ID number for seniority)....drifted away from them during high school....got back into a little in college and then too much over the last couple of years. Saw them live for the first time last year and it was the most incredible live event I'd ever been to - that's tough to say because I'm a huge sports guy.

If there was a way to have wrapped the Aggie game into the weekend it would have literally been the perfect weekend - Cubs, PJ, & Ag football.

[This message has been edited by AgRyan04 (edited 5/27/2011 10:48p).]
Lance Uppercut
AG
I liked that signature. Serves as a good reference at least.

I've come to appreciate Pearl Jam all the way through Riot Act (2003). The last 2 albums, I just can't make myself like that much. I would still see Pearl Jam if I had the chance. I went to one of their concerts and they were really good.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I guess it bothered me because I've been reading the boards only on my phone for a week or so.
kumar98
Man the Cubs suck.
I am a Cubs fan, am from Chicago, but I hate to say it, they are hopeless.

They should have hired Girardi instead of Quade.
Know Your Enemy
AG
If you think any manager would be able to make this a good team, you're kidding yourself. It's exactly why I'm glad that Ryno didn't get the job. I know he got all butthurt about it, but I would hate to see one of my favorite Cubs as a kid have to manage such a ****ty team. Bring him back when he has something to work with.
First Page Last Page
Page 13 of 181

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.