***********2024-2025 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

28,758 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by Enzo The Baker
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The race for seis begins again!!
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs Cap Situation/ off-season:
Guaranteed: 100.2M for 9 players
  • Devin 29.3M
  • Keldon 19M
  • Collins 16.7M
  • Victor 12.8M
  • Tre Jones 9.1M
  • Sochan: 5.6M
  • Branham: 3.2M
  • Wesley: 2.6M
  • Cissoko: 1.9M
Partially Guaranteed: 2.85M guaranteed, 12.85M total
  • Graham: 12.65M slot, 2.85M guaranteed. Becomes fully guaranteed on July 8th, by mutual agreement. If the Spurs trade him, his salary becomes guaranteed, if they cut him, it does not.
Unguaranteed: 5.5M for 2 players
  • Champagnie: 3M
  • Bassey: 2.5M
Draft Holds: 9.1M for Stephon Castle
  • 4th pick: 9.1M
  • There are no cap holds for the 2nd round players, but they can be signed with an exception or as a two-way player. If they are signed as a two-way they do not count against our 15-player roster maximum.

If we cut Graham: 108.55M in salary plus 1st round pick hold (9.1M), plus 1.2M each for the 13th and 14th roster spot holds. That is about 120M for a cap number, keeping Bassey and Champagnie. If you cut Bassey and Champagnie you save 5.5M minus the 1.2M cap hold each for the roster spot, so you create 3.1M in additional cap space.

Salary cap is 141M.

That gives us about 21M in cap space. Cutting Champagnie or Bassey clears their salary minus a cap hold for incomplete roster at the 1.2M vet minimum, so cutting both players would only get you 3.1M in additional cap space, so that is obviously unlikely unless we need the roster spots for some reason.
Free agents:
  • Mamu
  • Cedi
  • Barlow
If we cut Graham, we have four roster positions open and we have three draft picks, but Nunez may stay in Spain and Ingram could get only a two-way contract.
If we use our cap space, we can also use a ROOM EXCEPTION which is about $8M. So we could absorb a contract or sign a player, then still sign someone with the Room exception, even though we are over the salary cap at that point.
West Texan
AG
Go Spurs Go!

Just want to see more growth and improvement from the young guys and hopefully see some of those guys take the next step. And of course, can't wait for more unbelievable things from Wemby!
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Get in here y'all, this is gonna be a fun year. Calling my shot that Wemby gets his first quadruple double this season.
Guitarsoup
AG
One trade I could see if something with Milwaukee. The problem is they don't have any picks to give away other than the Knicks 2025 1st, which will be trash.

Spurs could trade Branham straight up for Brook Lopez. That gets them out of the 2nd apron and almost out of the luxury tax. Lopez has 1y/23M on his contract. Saves the Spurs a tiny bit (Branham's salary) on next year's salary cap.

Could also do something less drastic like Collins for Lopez, which would save them less money.
flashplayer
AG
Trae Young's ACLs are all that stand between the Spurs and Cooper Flagg.
jteagle
AG
flashplayer said:

Cooper Flagg would be great but next year's draft is so deep all we really need is a top 5 pick and we can still get a gamechanger type of player.

The good news is most of these top players will be playing college ball so we can watch them play. I'll probably watch more college than I did last year.
Ag Natural
AG
Does anyone have the breakdown of the picks we have next year?
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

Does anyone have the breakdown of the picks we have next year?
First:

1. Spurs
2. Hawks (unprotected)
3. Bulls (top ten protected)
4 Charlotte (top 14 protected)

Second:

1. Bulls
2. Pelicans
3. Spurs
Guitarsoup
AG
Bulls have apparently been trying to attach a first for another team to take Zach LaVine's 3y150M contract.

I don't think I do it for less than Graham+Keldon+remove protections on 2025 pick+2027 unprotected swap + 2028 1st + 2029 unprotected swap
Ag Natural
AG
Why are so many Spurs fans do anxious to get rid of Keldon? He's on a very team friendly contract and has done everything this team has asked. Let's see how he plays this season.
West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

flashplayer said:

Cooper Flagg would be great but next year's draft is so deep all we really need is a top 5 pick and we can still get a gamechanger type of player.

The good news is most of these top players will be playing college ball so we can watch them play. I'll probably watch more college than I did last year.

Obviously some of these guys will rise/fall, but those are all more legit prospects than anyone that was taken in this year's draft. There's also AJ Dybantsa and Cam Boozer in the 26 draft that are also gonna be very exciting prospects as well. Owning these Hawks picks while they suck is gonna be awesome.
Guitarsoup
AG
He's got one of the few tradable contracts that we could trade and not hurt. He's a great locker room guy, but I don't think he is a great player. His defense is awful and his offense is ineffficient.

Where does he place for you in a playoff rotation? We desperately need to upgrade PF and SF.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

Also non-tax teams (SPURS!) get a $12M cash out from the tax teams. Thanks, Mavs and Suns!
Guitarsoup
AG
PG leaving for nothing and Kawhi is stuck with the choker

West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

If all we get from this offseason is Chris Paul and Marshall I'd be totally good with this. I think our defense would improve and Paul would matter that much to Castle's development. Then hit the ground running in 2025.
Enzo The Baker
AG
KCP signed with the Magic. Off the table.
Guitarsoup
AG

Their D is gonna be nasty.

Also Jokic's window is closed
Enzo The Baker
AG
CP3!!!
Guitarsoup
AG

Holy **** the boys got a new babysitter
Enzo The Baker
AG
3 currently held by Keldon. Keldon gone.
Sher Thing
AG
I think it's good. He's only gonna play 20-25mpg when he can play but he's improved young players everywhere he's been. Coach on and off the court. Will help teach Castle how to play point and make things a lot easier for Victor when he's in the game.

Never been a huge fan but I actually respect him making this move and not straight ring chasing.
Guitarsoup
AG
1y$11M deal
Guitarsoup
AG
Last two years, he has been a 37% shooter, so that's an immediate improvement. Last year 26mpg, 9p7a.

42% on catch and shoot threes.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Oh I love that deal, perfect signing
Guitarsoup
AG
The reddit conspiracy theory was that the Spurs made a wink wink deal that said we would try to trade Paul to a contender in February. He's a babysitter until then.
Sher Thing
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The reddit conspiracy theory was that the Spurs made a wink wink deal that said we would try to trade Paul to a contender in February. He's a babysitter until then.
Haha that's fine.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
The more I think about it, the more I like it. CP is the type to light his teammates up if they're playing like idiots or loafing, and we kind of need somebody out there like that.
Guitarsoup
AG
We still have room to add one more guy like him in that same salary range as well as a Room exception guy.

We could do something like Naji for a 1y10M and then SloMo for a 1y8M and keep all our cap space next year.
superunknown
AG
Sher Thing said:

Guitarsoup said:

Haha that's fine.

Absolutely 0 issues. Worst case scenario we trade him at the deadline to a contender, maybe one who lost a PG to injury or whatever. Best case scenario our core dudes all level up in the off-season and we make the play-in tourney and get a neat little run in the playoffs that scares the ever lovin' ish out of the conference since everyone knows how much draft capital we have and salary cap room. Denver/Minnesota/etc all shtting their pants in that scenario.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Clippers lose Paul George and sign Porter jr while we land the player with the highest iq in the league in the same day. Life is good.
jteagle
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Last two years, he has been a 37% shooter, so that's an immediate improvement. Last year 26mpg, 9p7a.

42% on catch and shoot threes.

Just having a veteran presence/leadership of his caliber on the floor is huge. That will also be an immediate improvement.
Guitarsoup
AG

Dust off your Brandon Paul jerseys, fellas

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.