*** NBA Off-Season thread ***

5,278 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Iowaggie
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alex on the move...for now.

OKCAg2002
AG
I am a HUGE fan of this trade. Giddey didn't have a fit with the Thunder, and Caruso is a perfect fit defensively.
Enzo The Baker
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

I am a HUGE fan of this trade. Giddey didn't have a fit with the Thunder, and Caruso is a perfect fit defensively.

I wonder if this means the Bulls move on from Deebo. With Giddey, they no longer really need that facilitator.
Deluxe
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

They're going to suffocate on defense next year. The one guy on their defense you could attack last year has been replaced by one of the best in the game. Scary.
Zachary Klement
AG
This really makes you wonder what offers Chicago turned down during the season…no picks!?
aston158
Another thunder fan here. Very excited about this trade, feels like a huge win for the Thunder. I think having another veteran in the locker room could be a big plus with such a young roster.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Got the Thunder coming out of the West next year. Great trade.
Texas A&M
Just when you thought the Lakers couldn't be more unlikeable, they went and hired this guy.

Guitarsoup
AG
Deluxe said:

OKCAg2002 said:

They're going to suffocate on defense next year. The one guy on their defense you could attack last year has been replaced by one of the best in the game. Scary.
The knock on them will still be size. It is going to be 178lb Chet and 4 guys that are 6'5 and under. But their perimeter defense will be insane. I wonder if they plan to go after Isaiah Hartenstein for size.
Deluxe
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Deluxe said:

OKCAg2002 said:

The knock on them will still be size. It is going to be 178lb Chet and 4 guys that are 6'5 and under. But their perimeter defense will be insane. I wonder if they plan to go after Isaiah Hartenstein for size.
Yea there's a few different ways to look at it. I think another reasonably significant move is coming to address their length.

As it exists today, I think they're a little better from a regular season standpoint and quite a bit better from a playoff/matchup standpoint.

In the regular season, you can dole out enough minutes for SGA/Jdub to play off the ball and let Giddey facilitate. To justify his spot on the court, Giddey needs the ball in his hands. He doesn't have the right skillset to be a primarily off-ball player.

In the playoffs, SGA is going to dominate the ball for the most part. Jdub will when he's not. Developing more creation opportunities for Chet is also a priority going forward. There's just not enough ball to go around, which turns Giddey turns into a liability on offense because teams can sag off him and make him shoot.

Giddey was also by far the weak-link on defense relative to their other four regular starters. Given the way the roster has evolved, he just didn't really fit anymore unless he was willing to accept a role off the bench to essentially spell SGA (which I don't blame him for rejecting at this stage in his career).

Replacing him with Caruso makes them much more potent in the playoffs. He's one of the best at playing off the ball and defending. Can even bring the ball up a little in case SGA needs a little in-game breather.

You're right that he doesn't address the length problem though. IMO they need to target someone who 1) can play the five when Chet is resting and 2) can play alongside Chet during key minutes without making the lineup too clunky.

I've seen the Hartenstein connections too and I'm kinda torn on it but mostly lean no. I think him playing alongside makes the lineup too Clunky and he would essentially turn into a highly paid backup in the playoffs. The counter is that MIN and DEN can come at you big and Hartenstein could be an asset against them.

Dallas exploited OKC's size as well but I don't think OKC needs a bruising 7-footer type to fix that. A long/athletic 6'9 guy with some rebounding/defensive chops (ie Patrick Williams) + replacing Giddey with Caruso I think goes a long way in flipping that matchup. We'll see.

I've been debating whether they should go after size for the sake of size that "fits" better or go after the best player they can get their hands on, even if that player is another wing. They've got a couple year window with Chet/Jdub on rookie deals, so the time is now to push some chips in. Adding Caruso means they could potentially include Dort in a deal to make salaries work.

I think they should target the guy they think fits the best and dip into their treasure-chest of picks to make it happen. Lauri Markkanen is who I'd try to pry away from Utah, but I trust Presti.
Iowaggie
AG
Raptors going to build around Scottie Barnes.

txagman1998
AG
txagman1998
AG
With Knicks trading for Bridges, this has to mean Anunoby is signing elsewhere, right?
Guitarsoup
AG
txagman1998 said:

With Knicks trading for Bridges, this has to mean Anunoby is signing elsewhere, right?

They would be pretty filthy with both
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

txagman1998 said:

They would be pretty filthy with both

It looks like they will probably re-sign OG as Woj just reported the Knicks likely won't re-sign Hartenstein. Going to the Thunder or Magic.
superunknown
AG
Check the date. Wob don't miss.

Iowaggie
AG
superunknown
AG
Dan Scott
AG
bingram1230
AG
Why is ESPN spoiling almost every draft pick before they happen. It is getting annoying
rausr
AG
bingram1230 said:

Why is ESPN spoiling almost every draft pick before they happen. It is getting annoying

They do that with every draft in every sport, just so that they "look so smart."

Oh, and happy that the Lakers still Laker.

Guitarsoup
AG

That Lakers pick next year is unprotected, but Atlanta got fleeced. Nance is meh and Daniels has several years of development to do.

Hawks do save $8M in cap space and they are hard capped.
Iowaggie
AG
I'm trying to mentally calculate the value of the 2025 pick being worth it.
If it falls in top 5? Lottery?

Pelicans should be very good next year, and I wonder if this means Valenciunus is planning on returning to NO.
Guitarsoup
AG
The pick next year is an unprotected pick from the Lakers, and after drafting Bronny, they are probably going to be decent. They have holes to fill, but they still have AD, Bron, Reaves, Knecht, etc. I assume that pick is in the 15-20 range.

Pellies will bring back Jonas if they have to, but they desperately want to upgrade their C position. Look for them to trade Brandon Ingram for a center to pair with Yves Missi.
Guitarsoup
AG

Probably upset they wasted the pick on that bum from USC.
Guitarsoup
AG
Iowaggie
AG
Aggie Dad 26
Is Lebron going all in on winning?? Looks like he's giving up money to bring in more talent. This could get interesting depending on who they get
AggieEP
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

Is Lebron going all in on winning?? Looks like he's giving up money to bring in more talent. This could get interesting depending on who they get

Honestly surprised that more guys don't do this, guys like Lebron and Steph have the ability to make $$$$ in endorsements also to compensate for taking a deal at like 20 million a year vs. 50 million a year and by doing so can ensure that they can put a competitive team around themselves.

The only high level guy I can remember doing this was Durant when he was with Golden State.

Obviously I get that it's hard to leave 20+ million dollars a year on the table, and not saying I would do that if push came to shove, but with someone like Lebron, he's got like one to two more years max to try and add another championship, he should be going all in right now to build the Lakers into a super team.
Iowaggie
AG
Probably a better choice with the young team then Monty was.

Iowaggie
AG
I think we as fans like it when players take less money for their current team to get someone else.

I don't think we like it when players take less money to join another team that's already winning.

Maybe that is hypercritical, maybe not.

Aggie Dad 26
Iowaggie said:

I think we as fans like it when players take less money for their current team to get someone else.

I don't think we like it when players take less money to join another team that's already winning.

Maybe that is hypercritical, maybe not.

I wish more players would take less while at their perspective teams to help win a Championship.

I would think long term you would make more money this way assuming you won a champion(s)
Guitarsoup
AG

Aggie Dad 26
Unfortunately my Spurs signed Chris Paul?
Deluxe
AG
Hartenstein to OKC official.

Thunder needed to address their size. Their efficiency (esp on defense) with Chet off the court was bad last year. I like that he can help keep some of the miles off Chet's tires and do some of the banging/dirty work against the Jokic, etc.

But while Hartenstein is a HUGE improvement for the 15-20 min per night that Chet is on the bench, I'm concerned about the feasibility of them playing together. I think they'll be fine sharing the court for ~10 minutes a night in the regular season, but I think teams will take advantage of that clunkiness in the playoffs.

So my main concern is that the Thunder have a couple year window with Chet/Jdub on rookie deals, they had the cap space/roster versatility to add an impact guy that gels with their "closing 5", but they've essentially added a backup center (albeit a really good one).

And they still need to add a stretch 4 type too, otherwise their closing 5 is still going to be very small. Not sure if Ousmane Dieng is going to be that guy but maybe he'll get first crack.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.