*** NBA Off-Season thread ***

5,343 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Iowaggie
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The problem for OKC is there just weren't a lot of available centers in a free agency this year. Now there are a couple teams like Detroit and Portland that have big men and probably have more interest in draft picks. Jane winning right now. So I would not be surprised to see OKC do a trade here to get another big man.

I also think in the west you need a couple big men to be able to play together.
Iowaggie
AG
It's nice to see Paul George head East. I am sure that James harden told him all the ways that Daryl Morey is a liar. However, after playing with James harden, I think Paul George said I'll take Daryl Moreys side.
Deluxe
AG
Iowaggie said:

The problem for OKC is there just weren't a lot of available centers in a free agency this year. Now there are a couple teams like Detroit and Portland that have big men and probably have more interest in draft picks. Jane winning right now. So I would not be surprised to see OKC do a trade here to get another big man.

I also think in the west you need a couple big men to be able to play together.

Fair points. Consensus on OKC signing Hart seems overwhelmingly positive. If they follow it up with another move to bring in someone like Markkanen (or another stretch big), I'll be super impressed.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
$53 million a year in a weaker conference with an MVP in his prime years on the roster? Easy decision.
Aggie Dad 26
Looks like the big 5 will be

76ers
Mavs
Denver
Celtics
Timberwolves

Then everyone else

Guitarsoup
AG
Aggie Class of 2026 said:

76ers
Mavs
Denver
Celtics
Timberwolves

Then everyone else

No OKC?
Iowaggie
AG

76ers
Mavs
Denver
Celtics
Timberwolves

Then everyone else

ESPN would also include the Knicks, Lakers, and Warriors.

I don't think the Mavs finish in top 4 in West, not because they couldn't, but I think they know they'll be fine in the playoffs from a 5 or 6 position.
Guitarsoup
AG
Iowaggie said:

76ers
Mavs
Denver
Celtics
Timberwolves

Then everyone else

ESPN would also include the Knicks, Lakers, and Warriors.

I don't think the Mavs finish in top 4 in West, not because they couldn't, but I think they know they'll be fine in the playoffs from a 5 or 6 position.
Knicks are definitely a top 5 team right now. Lakers might still bring in DeMar DeRozan so that could be a pretty spicy team (on offense.) Warriors are toast.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
If Knicks add another competent big man like they're rumored to be trying to do, I can easily see them coming out of the East. Surrounding Randle and Brunson with a wing rotation of Bridges-OG-Donte-Hart is a really tough squad, especially with Thibs squeezing max effort out of all of them.
Guitarsoup
AG
Plus they have chemistry advantages that most other teams dont have.
Aggie Dad 26

76ers
Mavs
Denver
Celtics
Timberwolves

Then everyone else

I'll stand by it. These are the 5 best teams
Guitarsoup
Aggie Dad 26
Guitarsoup said:

Plus they have chemistry advantages that most other teams dont have.

Would you like to make a ban bet with me? See who's more accurate with their top 5 or top 6 NBA teams? Or would you prefer to laugh/cry like a lame ***?

Looks like you're still pretty butt hurt over me making you look stupid in the SA forum
Guitarsoup
AG
The only person you have made look stupid is yourself.

Now run along kiddo.
Aggie Dad 26
Guitarsoup said:

The only person you have made look stupid is yourself.

Now run along kiddo.
Smart move on you part
Guitarsoup
AG
Yep, because we all know you will just create another handle and keep posting the same inane stuff you do now.

I provided links and facts to backup my point. You responded with "I'm not clicking that" then running away.
Deluxe
AG

76ers
Mavs
Denver
Celtics
Timberwolves

Then everyone else
I'll bite.

OKC won 57 games last year. They didn't lose anyone. It's not unreasonable to expect year 1-2 improvements from Chet/Cason and year 2-3 improvement from Jdub. They could have run it back as-is and win 57 again... if not a few more.

But they've made two highly impactful transactions so far this offseason that upgraded (arguably) the two weakest aspects of the team last year:

1) Josh Giddey is a good player but didn't fit with their personnel. He was a liability on offense and defense in their current construct. They replaced him with one of the best role players in the league and fits their needs on both ends of the floor.

2) The Thunder struggled badly when Chet was off the court last year. They needed a big body to pair with him and got arguably the best one available in free agency. Another guy whose strengths should gel very well with their current roster. Their second unit was a weakness last year but should be a strength this year.

I'll be surprised if they don't win 60+ games this year. The playoffs are tricky and any matchup of the top 4 teams in the west will be a slugfest, but I'm not really sure how you'd rank the Mavs, Nuggets and Wolves in a tier above the Thunder at this point.
Aggie Dad 26
Deluxe said:

76ers
Mavs
Denver
Celtics
Timberwolves

Then everyone else
I'll bite.

OKC won 57 games last year. They didn't lose anyone. It's not unreasonable to expect year 1-2 improvements from Chet/Cason and year 2-3 improvement from Jdub. They could have run it back as-is and win 57 again... if not a few more.

But they've made two highly impactful transactions so far this offseason that upgraded (arguably) the two weakest aspects of the team last year:

1) Josh Giddey is a good player but didn't fit with their personnel. He was a liability on offense and defense in their current construct. They replaced him with one of the best role players in the league and fits their needs on both ends of the floor.

2) The Thunder struggled badly when Chet was off the court last year. They needed a big body to pair with him and got arguably the best one available in free agency. Another guy whose strengths should gel very well with their current roster. Their second unit was a weakness last year but should be a strength this year.

I'll be surprised if they don't win 60+ games this year. The playoffs are tricky and any matchup of the top 4 teams in the west will be a slugfest, but I'm not really sure how you'd rank the Mavs, Nuggets and Wolves in a tier above the Thunder at this point.

I think the Thunder are great and they're loaded with talent.

I also think the Mavs, Celtics, and Nuggets are the very best teams in the league. The other two I would place #4 and #5 I'm just not sure which to put at 4 and 5. From 4-6 it feels like splitting hairs.

The Thunder should probably be in my group. If I have to make a list based on who has the best chances of winning the Finals, I probably put the Thunder at 6
chris1515
AG
If the Knicks don't run all their players into the dirt before the playoffs, they might not be far behind those top 5.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Iowaggie
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

76ers
Mavs
Denver
Celtics
Timberwolves

Then everyone else

What determines best 5?

Aggie Dad 26
Iowaggie said:

Aggie Dad 26 said:

76ers
Mavs
Denver
Celtics
Timberwolves

Then everyone else

What determines best 5?

Best chances in winning a title next season.
Iowaggie
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Anyone been to Summer League in Vegas before?
Iowaggie
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Anyone been to Summer League in Vegas before?

Delaying a flight to Saturday this week to be there for 1 game this year
(I know that is a plus 0 on the helpfulness score)

Came to games today. Dexter Dennis here playing for cavs
Iowaggie
AG
Shams breaking this news is funny to me.

Iowaggie
AG
Suns get better with this discount.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.