***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

258,577 Views | 4288 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Guitarsoup
superunknown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Nance, Dyson Daniels, Lakers 25 unprotected pick and the worst of the Bucks/Pelicans 2027 picks.

Hawks got a fraction of what they paid.

I think that's what Bill Simmons used to call the puu puu platter.
Guitarsoup
AG

West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Posted for the other cap dummies, like myself. I would think we're gonna waive Graham.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Posted for the other cap dummies, like myself. I would think we're gonna waive Graham.
Yes. If we waive graham, we have 27M in space plus an extra roster spot. That 27M can be used however we want.

We would also get the $8M Room exception - which is more than the taxpayer MLE.

So we could sign a free agent to any salary up to 27M and still have the $8M room exception. This already factors in signing Castle. Then there is a 2nd round pick exception and also two ways.
FTAG 2000
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Smart move is to waive him and go hunting. Based off the draft I expect us to somehow pivot that cap space into a 2035 pick swap.
jteagle
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Smart move is to waive him and go hunting. Based off the draft I expect us to somehow pivot that cap space into a 2035 pick swap.
West Texan
AG
LawHall88
AG
[url] [/url]
Ag Natural
AG
I'm going to predict right now that Juan Nunez is the steal of this draft. His tape is incredibly Ginobili like.
flashplayer
AG
I said it first.

He's probably a little slower but the vision and pizazz are there.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

If you are gonna bleed this much, at least be useful and go to the blood bank.
superunknown
AG
Sher Thing
AG
Too much. They probably want 5 firsts after the Bridges trade.
Guitarsoup
AG
Also, Lauri can't be given a max extension because he can only get a 40% raise from his current salary.

I think OKC will pull the trigger on him and they will be scary.
West Texan
AG
Sher Thing said:

Too much. They probably want 5 firsts after the Bridges trade.

Danny Ainge isn't gonna get fleeced the way that Chicago and Atlanta have so far.
Guitarsoup
AG

Castle knocking down threes in the #5 silver and white
Guitarsoup
AG
Cap crunch for the Hawks already showing. Hawks traded FIVE seconds for Bey.

Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
A competent FO knows when to accept an error and move on, I think Atlanta has been moving a little smarter so far with Landry Fields at the helm. If they hang onto Trae and I think they will, I think they are unfortunately going to be a much more properly built squad.
Guitarsoup
AG
Dropping Bey after spending 5 SRPs to get him and trading DJM for a couple of mid-round firsts and two 20mpg role players to save money is just trying to get out from their mistakes.

They are still going to have the problems of :

* No one that can run the offense when Trae is out/on bench
* No outside shooting
* No #2 scorer

In some ways it makes sense, but their overall team building is a mess and Risacher probably needs a few years of development. I don't think Trae is going to give them more than a couple months.

How good do you think a Capela, JJ, Zac, Bogdan, Trae team is? I just don't see them better than the Heat (46 wins last year.)

They will have the same problem we have - when Trae is off the court, they are going to be massively negative because they can't create offense with Kobe Bufkin and Dyson Daniels.
LawHall88
AG
West Texan said:

superunknown said:

Yall seeing and hearing this stuff about Filipowski?

I literally had zero clue about any of this until Givony mentioned him being estranged from his family and having an older girlfriend before the draft started today. The fact that he was drafted by Utah just makes it even funnier.
Such a weird story.
Guitarsoup
AG

Likely wants to take the $25m contract from the Spurs imo
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

If you are gonna bleed this much, at least be useful and go to the blood bank.

Lighten up Francis.
AggieEP
Didn't realize he can't get a full max offer.

If he's even kind of available, I think we have to kick the tires and see which of our assets they want. I'd say we hold our first and ATLs first for next year, but I'd be open to a combination of any of the other picks being dealt.

We could maybe send out, ATL swap, our 2027 1st, Chicago pick, our 2029 pick and the Minnesota swap in 2030 to give them the 5 first rounders. Top 1 protect our picks maybe. With 27 million in cap space they don't even need to accept any bad contracts, so maybe let them pick from one of our young players as well (Sochan, Branham, Johnson)

Then we can run out

Castle
Vassell
Sochan/Johnson (whichever one we hold onto, likely Johnson)
Markkanen
Wemby

For next year, knowing that the last piece we need is to get another sharp shooter at the 3 to make this a really scary lineup to defend. Also, if we go the length route and can get another 6'10'' or so guy to be that 3 we can set ourselves up to give OKC some trouble. They are going to be our long term competition, so I think we have to think about how to make things hard on them. One way is to have a huge advantage in length, this is what Dallas did to them this year to a certain extent.

Our bench would still need work, but with Jones there at a minimum, we just need to find a competent back up big and a scorer to fill it out. I'm confident that with next year's deep draft we can draft the 3/wing of the future, allowing Keldon to slide to the bench and that we could get an athletic big to back up Wemby/Lauri.

Of course, the Spurs probably don't have my same fantasy team thinking here, but it makes sense to me in my head.
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, we have the assets to make it work. But since he is 27 and going into a contract year, it is way more difficult. Plus Ainge is notoriously difficult to deal with on trades.

The Utah Sub did a post on the contract complexities for Lauri: https://www.reddit.com/r/UtahJazz/comments/1cqyxyy/its_going_to_be_extremely_hard_to_move_lauri/

Basically, Spurs and OKC are the only teams that could make it work.

But we have a lot more roster spots we need to fill between now and then. I really think we wait until next draft to make the move unless someone is desperate and offers us something stupid. We don't want to burn all our assets on a #2 guy, but still need a 5, 6, 7, 8 guy and can't compete because we are top heavy (i.e. Atlanta)
Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/spurs-draft-night-trade-says-refusal-think-small-19547166.php

Three nights earlier, in a room not far from that practice court, all the members of the Spurs' brain trust sat around a different table and came to a consensus. They were ready to draft a player at No. 8. They'd agreed on a prospect. And they were prepared to keep him.
But with seconds ticking away just before their pick was due, they received exactly the kind of offer they hoped would materialize Wednesday. The Minnesota Timberwolves wanted the Spurs' selection, and they were willing to give up an unprotected 2031 first-rounder and the right to swap first-rounders in 2030 to get it.
Over the phone, the Timberwolves gave the Spurs a name Rob Dillingham of Kentucky. Just beating the buzzer, the Spurs passed Dillingham's name along to the league.

As one member of the team's front office put it, San Antonio has a "whole big chest of stuff" it can use in the coming years to acquire high-profile, long-term Wembanyama running buddies. And as another Spurs official noted, a 2031 pick from a current contender like the Timberwolves is more attractive than a 2025 selection would've been, because it allows time to "capitalize on chaos."

The answer is complicated, but it boils down to one motivating principle behind a trade like this:
Greed.

Simply put, the Spurs don't want a sixth Larry O'Brien trophy. They want an eighth, a ninth, a tenth. Their goal is not to win a championship in 2027. Their goal is to win EVERY championship from 2027 until, oh, 2035 or so.
That might sound unrealistic. It might sound certifiably insane. But blessed with the miracle that was the Wembanyama lottery, the Spurs consider it sacrilege to think small.

Yes, the tall Frenchman is good enough to start winning now, at age 20. Absolutely, if they wanted to, they could get aggressive and assemble a team that could make the playoffs this season.
But the objective isn't a quick postseason run. The objective is a dynasty.

And in a vacuum, forward-thinking moves like Wednesday's are a shrewd way to make that happen. Stocking up on draft capital years in advance allows good teams flexibility to add superstars, and allows great teams to replenish rosters with talent even in the new era of extra-punitive salary cap restrictions.

Let's say, two summers from now, the Spurs want to make a deal with a team starting a rebuild. That team won't want Dillingham just as he starts to get expensive. Instead, that team will covet the types of assets that fit its own timeline. Like, say, a 2031 first-rounder.

superaggie73
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Likely wants to take the $25m contract from the Spurs imo

So with the option of sign/trade off the table, what teams are actually left with cap space to sign him? Or is he gonna just ring hunt and sign cheap somewhere?
Guitarsoup
AG
Orlando, OKC and Philly.

Also Detroit...
superaggie73
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Orlando, OKC and Philly.

Also Detroit...

So Philly it is
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Caleb Martin declined his option with the Heat, how would yall feel about him?
West Texan
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I wouldn't hate it as a 3 and D guy. I'd rather have Naji Marshall cause he's longer, but Martin has been a more consistent shooter throughout his career.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I wouldn't hate it as a 3 and D guy. I'd rather have Naji Marshall cause he's longer, but Martin has been a more consistent shooter throughout his career.
Naji is better, and Caleb Martin's shot isn't as good as that one playoff performance would have you believe.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Naji is better, and Caleb Martin's shot isn't as good as that one playoff performance would have you believe.

No, but he's 35% for his career vs Marshall who's 31%. Naji is definitely my first choice for that 3 and D Champagnie replacement, but Martin wouldn't be a bad choice either.
jteagle
AG
This looks promising.

Ag Natural
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

No, but he's 35% for his career vs Marshall who's 31%. Naji is definitely my first choice for that 3 and D Champagnie replacement, but Martin wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Harrison Ingram might have something to say about that 3 spot.
First Page
Page 122 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.