***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

258,569 Views | 4288 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Guitarsoup
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Caleb Martin declined his option with the Heat, how would yall feel about him?

I wouldn't hate it as a 3 and D guy. I'd rather have Naji Marshall cause he's longer, but Martin has been a more consistent shooter throughout his career.
Naji is better, and Caleb Martin's shot isn't as good as that one playoff performance would have you believe.

No, but he's 35% for his career vs Marshall who's 31%. Naji is definitely my first choice for that 3 and D Champagnie replacement, but Martin wouldn't be a bad choice either.
But Naji was 39% last year. Martin is one of the guys that shoots a higher percentage on pull ups than catch and shoot. Naji is the opposite. I think we need the catch and shoot guys. Naji also has the higher 2pt%. Martin's FG% and 3pt% have declined each of the last 3 years while Naji's has improved on all counts.

I'd rather have Naji, who is younger and bigger.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Caleb Martin declined his option with the Heat, how would yall feel about him?

I wouldn't hate it as a 3 and D guy. I'd rather have Naji Marshall cause he's longer, but Martin has been a more consistent shooter throughout his career.
Naji is better, and Caleb Martin's shot isn't as good as that one playoff performance would have you believe.

No, but he's 35% for his career vs Marshall who's 31%. Naji is definitely my first choice for that 3 and D Champagnie replacement, but Martin wouldn't be a bad choice either.
But Naji was 39% last year. Martin is one of the guys that shoots a higher percentage on pull ups than catch and shoot. Naji is the opposite. I think we need the catch and shoot guys. Naji also has the higher 2pt%. Martin's FG% and 3pt% have declined each of the last 3 years while Naji's has improved on all counts.

I'd rather have Naji, who is younger and bigger.

We're on the same page here. I believe in Naji's 3 point improvement and would definitely rather have him. Just stating that if we miss out on him and get Martin, I still think he helps this roster out.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think my first choice might be Okoro because he is younger, but he is an RFA with Cleveland.

Also wouldn't mind a cheap Haywood HIghsmith.

KCP is a guy I've loved a long time, but I think he will be too expensive and is more of a SG than a SF. I think we need the SF/PF guys.

I mostly don't want to do anything that really cuts us for a big cap number next year. Roll that over.

Trading Keldon or Collins for Brook Lopez should be on the table, too. Lopex is an expiring 23M deal.

I would also throw money at Jon Issac and Goga from Orlando, especially if the go star hunting. I don't even care if Isaac isn't healthy ever, if it is a team friendly deal. Wemby, Issac, Sochan, Vassell, Castle will be filthy.
Guitarsoup
AG

Mavs traded the draft rights to a 37yo player that we had signed to be our summer league coach.
flashplayer
AG
Can we trade some team the dead guy from early 2000s?
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I think my first choice might be Okoro because he is younger, but he is an RFA with Cleveland.

Also wouldn't mind a cheap Haywood HIghsmith.

KCP is a guy I've loved a long time, but I think he will be too expensive and is more of a SG than a SF. I think we need the SF/PF guys.

I mostly don't want to do anything that really cuts us for a big cap number next year. Roll that over.

Trading Keldon or Collins for Brook Lopez should be on the table, too. Lopex is an expiring 23M deal.

I would also throw money at Jon Issac and Goga from Orlando, especially if the go star hunting. I don't even care if Isaac isn't healthy ever, if it is a team friendly deal. Wemby, Issac, Sochan, Vassell, Castle will be filthy.

This is the best part about having some cap space and Wemby, there's so many directions that we can go. If Milwaukee is really trying to move on from Brook, I'd love to have him for a year. He'd be a great backup and because he can actually shoot from deep, he'd fit in lineups next to Wemby much better than Collins. I'd also be all for Isaac if Orlando is looking to dump salary. He may be the best defender in the league, just can't do it for 30 minutes a night.

Just maintain cap flexibility, keep the Atlanta picks, and be ready to pounce when another all star caliber player comes available on the trade market.
Guitarsoup
AG

New Orleans Times Picayune went with Hawk To A on the headline.
West Texan
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Duke and not Barlow? That's kind of shocking.
jteagle
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Duke and not Barlow? That's kind of shocking.

Some are saying this was the agent's request so he can test the market.
Guitarsoup
AG
New season starts this evening, AgNatural or someone should start the new Race For Ace (bailey) thread
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

New season starts this evening, AgNatural or someone should start the new Race For Ace (bailey) thread

Don't score-A for Traore?
Enzo The Baker
AG

Maybe it was Carter?

Also, with have two swaps in 2030 now with the Mavs and Wolves. We can take the best pick of the three picks right?

I bet we trade one of them before then though.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs Cap Situation/ off-season:
Guaranteed: 100.2M for 9 players
  • Devin 29.3M
  • Keldon 19M
  • Collins 16.7M
  • Victor 12.8M
  • Tre Jones 9.1M
  • Sochan: 5.6M
  • Branham: 3.2M
  • Wesley: 2.6M
  • Cissoko: 1.9M
Partially Guaranteed: 2.85M guaranteed, 12.85M total
  • Graham: 12.65M slot, 2.85M guaranteed. Becomes fully guaranteed on July 8th, by mutual agreement. If the Spurs trade him, his salary becomes guaranteed, if they cut him, it does not.
Unguaranteed: 5.5M for 2 players
  • Champagnie: 3M
  • Bassey: 2.5M
Draft Holds: 9.1M for 2 players
  • 4th pick: 9.1M
  • There are no cap holds for the 2nd round players, but they can be signed with an exception or as a two-way player. If they are signed as a two-way they do not count against our 15-player roster maximum.

If we cut Graham: 108.55M in salary plus 1st round pick hold (9.1M), plus 1.2M each for the 13th and 14th roster spot holds. That is about 120M for a cap number, keeping Bassey and Champagnie. If you cut Bassey and Champagnie you save 5.5M minus the 1.2M cap hold each for the roster spot, so you create 3.1M in additional cap space.

Salary cap is 141M.

That gives us about 21M in cap space. Cutting Champagnie or Bassey clears their salary minus a cap hold for incomplete roster at the 1.2M vet minimum, so cutting both players would only get you 3.1M in additional cap space, so that is obviously unlikely unless we need the roster spots for some reason.
Free agents:
  • Mamu
  • Cedi
  • Barlow
If we cut Graham, we have four roster positions open and we have three draft picks, but Nunez may stay in Spain and Ingram could get only a two-way contract.
If we use our cap space, we can also use a ROOM EXCEPTION which is about $8M. So we could absorb a contract or sign a player, then still sign someone with the Room exception, even though we are over the salary cap at that point.

Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

On it!
Guitarsoup
AG
nm - go to new thread
First Page Refresh
Page 123 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.