***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

258,368 Views | 4288 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Guitarsoup
Earth Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have tried to like this trade, but I can't get there. Just saw the Lakers draft Knecht. We could have used his shooting. Or Cody Williams could have helped. matas was worth a flyer at 8.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
We also already have 6 guys under 21 and 12 guys under 25 in the roster. At some point you gotta stop adding youth and start adding vets.
Earth Rider
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

We also already have 6 guys under 21 and 12 guys under 25 in the roster. At some point you gotta stop adding youth and start adding vets.
Good point. I guess we partially tank for the 25 draft, and then use the picks to trade for a vet.
West Texan
AG
Every draft analyst and every regular in this thread has been talking for over a year at how terrible this draft class is, and people wanna ***** about turning #8 into an unprotected first?! In case y'all haven't been paying attention lately, unprotected picks are the gold standard for acquiring big time players in trades. Who cares about how far out it is, it's still more valuable than this year's pick. I'd also bet really good money that we use that unprotected pick in a trade to help boost the roster around Wemby in the next few years.
FTAG 2000
AG
LawHall88 said:

Knecht still on the board. Wonder why he is falling.

Because he's an old white guy
jteagle
AG
Earth Rider said:

I have tried to like this trade, but I can't get there. Just saw the Lakers draft Knecht. We could have used his shooting. Or Cody Williams could have helped. matas was worth a flyer at 8.

Knecht is basically McDermott. He didn't help us that much. Williams and Buzelis have big questions. Why pay someone at 8 when you can get a free agents.
FTAG 2000
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

And all but about four of them suck.
AggieEP
What free agents?

The draft is everything now because of how even average players are getting paid 40 million a year.

Worry about 6.8 million for the 8th pick when Siakam and OG are both making 40 MILLION!

Average players are making max money. Only guys we are getting for 20 million have serious flaws or are really old.
Earth Rider
AG
I think the only reason to draft a player with questions is their ceiling is higher than a known quantity like a free agent.

Spurs have usually been good scouting players. I was hopeful they were going to find a player.

I'm ok with the 2030 and 2031 picks. But Spurs are speculating those picks will be good picks.

The Spurs must have really not liked their choices at 8, and if that is the case, I am good with it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Earth Rider said:

I think the only reason to draft a player with questions is their ceiling is higher than a known quantity like a free agent.

Spurs have usually been good scouting players. I was hopeful they were going to find a player.

I'm ok with the 2030 and 2031 picks. But Spurs are speculating those picks will be good picks.

The Spurs must have really not liked their choices at 8, and if that is the case, I am good with it.
Spurs don't have to wait. In two years when Minnesota falls apart, those become insanely valuable.

Ant can't carry that team and Towns is one of the biggest playoff no-shows in the league.
superunknown
AG
West Texan said:

Every draft analyst and every regular in this thread has been talking for over a year at how terrible this draft class is, and people wanna ***** about turning #8 into an unprotected first?! In case y'all haven't been paying attention lately, unprotected picks are the gold standard for acquiring big time players in trades. Who cares about how far out it is, it's still more valuable than this year's pick. I'd also bet really good money that we use that unprotected pick in a trade to help boost the roster around Wemby in the next few years.

Whats a big name getting in trade value these days? Mikael Bridges was what, 5 1sts? And we've got something like 8 or 9 picks that aren't ours in future drafts. These are more valuable than cap space and overpaying free agents.
Guitarsoup
AG
2025 -
1. Spurs
2. ATL
3. CHI 11-30
4. CHA 15-30

2026 -
5. Best of ATL or SAS
[Chicago 9-30 if it didn't convert in 2025]

-
6. Spurs
7 ATL
[CHI 9-30 if not already settled]

2028 -
8. Spurs or Boston

9. Spurs

10. Best of Dallas, Minnesota, or Spurs. Can trade one of the swaps out.

2031:
11. Spurs
12. TPups

That's a lot of draft capital and the only protections are: Chicago (top 10/top 8, Boston 2028 (top 1), Minn 2030 (top 1)
West Texan
AG
Also just some random spitballing here, but Phoenix is probably going to implode in the next few years with KD being super old, Beal always being hurt, and they don't have a whole lot of cap space or draft capital. I could definitely see a scenario where Devin Booker becomes available on the trade market in a few years and we could potentially be in a position to packages a bunch of those picks to make a run at pairing Booker with Wemby.
Earth Rider
AG
The wolves don't have any incentive to tank in 4 or 5 years. They are a contender now, and will be for 3 or 4 more years. After that, there will most likely drop about 10 spots in the power rankings.

I don't think the Wolves will ever tank and that is what it takes to get a top 5 pick. Or just be Detroit. They will most likely be a 13-20 range picks I'm guessing in 2030 and 2031. We might move up a few spots in the swap in 2030. And get their pick in 2031.

I just don't think the Spurs liked their options at 8, so they punted.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Also just some random spitballing here, but Phoenix is probably going to implode in the next few years with KD being super old, Beal always being hurt, and they don't have a whole lot of cap space or draft capital. I could definitely see a scenario where Devin Booker becomes available on the trade market in a few years and we could potentially be in a position to packages a bunch of those picks to make a run at pairing Booker with Wemby.
Houston is going to do that, which is why they traded the Nets two Nets picks back for four Suns picks.

But I absolutely believe we will use some picks as trade bait. We have 12 picks and only one won't convert. Additionally, we have four swaps.
Guitarsoup
AG
Earth Rider said:

The wolves don't have any incentive to tank in 4 or 5 years. They are a contender now, and will be for 3 or 4 more years. After that, there will most likely drop about 10 spots in the power rankings.

I don't think the Wolves will ever tank and that is what it takes to get a top 5 pick. Or just be Detroit. They will most likely be a 13-20 range picks I'm guessing in 2030 and 2031. We might move up a few spots in the swap in 2030. And get their pick in 2031.

I just don't think the Spurs liked their options at 8, so they punted.
They won't tank - that is not what we are counting on. They do not own/control any draft picks until 2032. They are a 2nd apron team with no flexibility finacially and they are historically one of the worst run teams in the entire NBA. We are banking they implode in the next couple years as Gobert and Conley get old and they wont have the assets to stay competitive because they wont have the MLE and tehy wont have draft picks.
West Texan
AG
Future unprotected picks/swaps are the high risk, high reward asset that rebuilding teams covet. When we made the Dejounte Murray trade Atlanta was one year removed from being in the eastern conference finals and looked like a team on the rise. Now they're trying to figure out if they can be more competitive or try to rebuild without owning their own picks. In 6-7 years we have no clue what Minnesota will be. It's already been pointed out that KAT and Gobert will be mid to upper 30s and they don't own their picks or have a lot of cap space to try and remain contenders long term. If they can't put a team than can really compete around Ant, there's probably a pretty good chance he forces his way out. Now obviously Minnesota could turn out to be fantastic during that time and that pick is at the end of the first round, but given their history and looking at how they're set up for the near future, I'd bet they're more likely to end up in the lottery than picking in the late 20s.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Earth Rider
AG
I agree on Conley. He might be a grandpa at this point. Seems like I've been watching him play at the Twolves for 20 years. Minnesota needs to give him a statue.

It sounds like they are going to implode, and they won't be able to attract free agents after Connely and Gobert are off the cap. All depends on Ant, and if he stays and further develops and can convince a big free agent to go to Minnesota.
FTAG 2000
AG
Earth Rider said:

This wouldn't be the first time they had tunnel vision on a pick, got sniped, and had no backup plan. I think they wanted Salaun at that pick and took whatever they could when he wasn't there.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Earth Rider said:

This wouldn't be the first time they had tunnel vision on a pick, got sniped, and had no backup plan. I think they wanted Salaun at that pick and took whatever they could when he wasn't there.
The backup plan was getting two unprotected firsts from the team with second fewest playoff wins in the NBA after New Orleans who is over a decade younger. That team doesn't control any future draft picks of their own, two of their starters will be out of the league then, they are over the second apron and their ownership is a complete ****show and is being sued over the ownership of the team.
Guitarsoup
AG

Dammit, wanted him at 35.
Earth Rider
AG
Well, if you put it that way, that's a good backup plan.

Overall, I don't think it matters. I'm pumped we got Castle. He's a dog. It will be fun to watch him and Wemby develop chemistry. With him, Sochan and Wemby, we are getting close to the old Spurs defenses. Just need a 3 and D.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

My mistake. 26th to OKc.
Guitarsoup
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Gotta use their 50 second picks eventually
West Texan
AG
superunknown
AG
Spurs twitter is melting down and not super interesting but if yall haven't seen this fake Hubie account its a fun follow

Guitarsoup
AG

Wolves adding as much offense as red flags.
Earth Rider
AG
I've always felt sorry for OKC fans, had some great teams but always some other team was better than them. No other sports teams in Oklahoma. But it seems OKC acts out of spite for the Spurs.

But we got Wemby so we will be better than them again, and there is nothing they can do about that.
Guitarsoup
AG

Another project I wanted.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

My mistake. 26th to OKc.
But they added a 6'5 wing. Their entire team is *****ass chet and 11 guys that are 6'5.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Another project I wanted.

All good. We have Cidy.
First Page Last Page
Page 115 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.