***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

258,167 Views | 4288 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Guitarsoup
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
West Texan said:

Apparently we've been rumored to have interest in Tobias Harris. Thoughts? If our goal is to actually be competitive, I don't mind signing Harris to a short term deal. If he doesn't work out, he could be shipped on to a contender.

Only if he convinces Boban to come home.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Take from it what you will but Givony just said on ESPN that it 'looks like Castle will go 4th to San Antonio or 6th to Charlotte' and that 'he has a narrow range.'

Alot can happen between now and then. But even if risacher is there at 4, i want Castle.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Earth Rider
AG
Don Harris always has some good insight, what surprised me most is he heard Scarr has been unimpressive in workouts, and may drop out of the top 10.

This is a really good chat.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/nba-draft-rumors-spurs-want-to-pair-castle-with-wembanyama-san-antonio-texas-wemby-nba-draft-podcast
Guitarsoup
AG

Enzo The Baker
AG
Earth Rider said:

Don Harris always has some good insight, what surprised me most is he heard Scarr has been unimpressive in workouts, and may drop out of the top 10.

This is a really good chat.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/nba-draft-rumors-spurs-want-to-pair-castle-with-wembanyama-san-antonio-texas-wemby-nba-draft-podcast

Good lord. That is not the don harris I remember.
Guitarsoup
AG

LawHall88
AG
Potential smokescreen? Did the Spurs give him a promise at #8?
Guitarsoup
AG

Tre Jones made Miles McBride's 5 toughest players to play against. Very last past of it.
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

Doubt we gave him a promise. If Risacher falls to 4, we wouldn't take Risacher/Salaun, imo.

I think Castle/Salaun or Castle/Carter are the two most likely scenarios.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

LawHall88 said:

Doubt we gave him a promise. If Risacher falls to 4, we wouldn't take Risacher/Salaun, imo.

I think Castle/Salaun or Castle/Carter are the two most likely scenarios.

It could also be that Risacher is a smoke screen too. Building him up so we can easily take Castle at 4, then Salaun at 8.
All I do is Nguyen
Enzo The Baker
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

A+

Two players who immediately crack the rotation, one of which has the potential to become a multi-time all star if his shot falls (which I think it will because of his work ethic.)

Edit: Tynan (who is pretty reputable when it comes to Spurs sources) says he has heard most connection to Castle and Carter. Whether that means in tandem, we will see.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

A+

Two players who immediately crack the rotation, one of which has the potential to become a multi-time all star if his shot falls (which I think it will because of his work ethic.)

Edit: Tynan (who is pretty reputable when it comes to Spurs sources) says he has heard most connection to Castle and Carter. Whether that means in tandem, we will see.
We played Carter vs Castle in workouts - something we did with Branham and Wesley.

If we pick them both, I think it means we are ready to move on from Branham and Wesley.

Guards: Tre Jones, Castle, Carter, Wesley, Branham
Wings: Vassell, Keldon, Julian, Cissoko
PF/Stretch: Sochan
Bigs: Wemby, Collins, Bassey

Need to get a PF (SloMo? ) and would like to upgrade backup rim protector (Goga B from Orlando) plus need wings.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

A+

We played Carter vs Castle in workouts - something we did with Branham and Wesley.

If we pick them both, I think it means we are ready to move on from Branham and Wesley.

Guards: Tre Jones, Castle, Carter, Wesley, Branham
Wings: Vassell, Keldon, Julian, Cissoko
PF/Stretch: Sochan
Bigs: Wemby, Collins, Bassey

Need to get a PF (SloMo? ) and would like to upgrade backup rim protector (Goga B from Orlando) plus need wings.

Yea I think we would have to at least move one of Wesley and Branham. I like Wesley better but I can see the Spurs seeing the higher potential in Branham. Our bench would still be really thin if we got rid of both.

To be honest, I can't believe they put them both against other and ended up taking both. Branham doesn't seem like he has a competitive bone on his body at the nba level.
Enzo The Baker
AG
From LJ Ellis of Spurstalk.

-The Spurs held a workout with Stephon Castle and Devin Carter. Sources who witnessed the workout say Carter was highly impressive and that his athleticism was off the charts. However, the same sources refuse to comment on how Castle performed during the workout. Did Castle underwhelm or is San Antonio's outward praise of Carter a possible smokescreen? I don't know.

-Outside of Carter, the other player Spurs sources are raving about is Ja'Kobe Walter. Multiple sources say the Baylor product shot extremely well in his Spurs workout. I've also heard positive words about the workouts of Cody Williams and Rob Dillingham.

-The Spurs held a workout with Reed Sheppard but I've found it impossible to get a source to comment on how it went. Spurs sources are also mum about everything involving Zaccharie Risacher and, interestingly, Dalton Knecht.

-Tidjane Salaun had a workout with the Spurs and then all of his future workouts with other teams were cancelled. His representatives say Salaun suffered an ankle injury during his workout with San Antonio. That's probably the truth but you never know during smokescreen season.

-One highly-connected Spurs source I talked to raved about Donovan Clingan, calling him an "elite" prospect who the team would feeling comfortable drafting even without working him out. Smokescreen or would the Spurs actually pick the 7-foot-3 center at No. 4 if he's still available? Again, I'm not sure.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

-The Spurs held a workout with Stephon Castle and Devin Carter. Sources who witnessed the workout say Carter was highly impressive and that his athleticism was off the charts. However, the same sources refuse to comment on how Castle performed during the workout. Did Castle underwhelm or is San Antonio's outward praise of Carter a possible smokescreen? I don't know.

-Outside of Carter, the other player Spurs sources are raving about is Ja'Kobe Walter. Multiple sources say the Baylor product shot extremely well in his Spurs workout. I've also heard positive words about the workouts of Cody Williams and Rob Dillingham.

-The Spurs held a workout with Reed Sheppard but I've found it impossible to get a source to comment on how it went. Spurs sources are also mum about everything involving Zaccharie Risacher and, interestingly, Dalton Knecht.

-Tidjane Salaun had a workout with the Spurs and then all of his future workouts with other teams were cancelled. His representatives say Salaun suffered an ankle injury during his workout with San Antonio. That's probably the truth but you never know during smokescreen season.

-One highly-connected Spurs source I talked to raved about Donovan Clingan, calling him an "elite" prospect who the team would feeling comfortable drafting even without working him out. Smokescreen or would the Spurs actually pick the 7-foot-3 center at No. 4 if he's still available? Again, I'm not sure.

No way they select Clingan unless they had a move agreed to to offload Collins. At least I would think.
Earth Rider
AG
Jakobe and Dalton are who the Spurs want at 8, maybe Carter but he seems like a decoy with all the recent pub.

I'm back to the Spurs wanting Risasher, then Castle and then Shepard at 4. If all three are gone, then it sounds like Clingan and not Sarr. I don't see anybody in the top 5 drafting Sarr with the reported unimpressive workouts.

I think Clingan would be a disappointment at 4, he doesn't fit a real need but is the best player available.
FTAG 2000
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Enzo The Baker said:

No way they select Clingan unless they had a move agreed to to offload Collins. At least I would think.

Zero chance they leak anything to LJ. I know him and he's a good dude but Spurs just use him for information warfare.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup
AG

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

He's the one.
West Texan
AG

Betting odds on our draft pick, for whatever that's worth.
West Texan
AG

Yes, please.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Yes, please.

Happy trails, Julian
Enzo The Baker
AG
Givony says the Spurs could make 4 available in a trade back scenario Matas has also worked out for the team.

Quote:

The Spurs got an up-close look at Risacher in a private workout this past weekend, which should help them determine how aggressive they want or need to be in trade talks for moving up to No. 1, where the French wing is currently favored to be drafted. The Spurs have the assets to do so if they want, holding the Hawks' unprotected 2025 and 2027 first-round picks as well as a pick-swap option in 2026 thanks to the Dejounte Murray trade.

The Spurs are telling rival teams they will be taking a best-player-available approach at picks No. 4 and No. 8 despite having backcourt needs and a lack of shooting and playmaking -- areas they'll need to address in due time. Taking a patient approach seems to be San Antonio's strategy for now, as there are plenty of scenarios in which more attractive options become available in the near future.

San Antonio has expressed increasing interest in Clingan as of late, even going as far as interviewing him in recent days to get to know him better. Some think this might be a case of the Spurs signaling to rivals that the No. 4 pick is where they need to get to if they want to draft Clingan, as opposed to real interest in a fascinating twin-towers lineup with the 7-foot-3 UConn champion and 7-foot-5 Victor Wembanyama.

They also brought Reed Sheppard, Rob Dillingham, Matas Buzelis, Dalton Knecht and others in for workouts.

With Risacher and Sheppard off the board in this scenario, Castle appears to be a strong candidate to hear his name called here.
Enzo The Baker
AG
For those that are underwhelmed at Risacher at 4 (and especially at the notion of trading up for him) like myself, Givony gives some interesting tidbits on the hoop collective podcast about his appeal. Bourg had the best defense in league and euro cup, and Risacher was the best defender on those teams in the finals of both. Givony also speaks to his durability and mentality, playing over 70 games at 18 years old.

Apparently he has been impressing teams with his feel and passing at workouts. He compares him to Brandon Miller in that he was knocked for not being able to create. And Risacher is 1.5 years younger than Miller was when he entered. Size, feel and shooting is why teams feel Risacher is a safe bet.

He also said that last year, when all the scouts came to France to watch Victor, 3 representatives of the Spurs came earlier watch Risacher play.
jteagle
AG
Well, we're less than 72 hours from the draft. I'm not sure I have any idea which way the Spurs will go.
One thing I do know is that no matter what happens on Wednesday and Thursday, I trust the organization. As fans, we only see a small fraction of each player. We don't get to see workouts or hear interviews. They get to see it all and know what they are looking for.
Of course I have my favorite picks but even that changes from day to day. At the end of the day, I will be excited to move forward and see what the future holds.
West Texan
AG

Please ship off all your good players for picks, so that the picks we own end up being near the top of the draft for the next three years.
West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

Well, we're less than 72 hours from the draft. I'm not sure I have any idea which way the Spurs will go.
One thing I do know is that no matter what happens on Wednesday and Thursday, I trust the organization. As fans, we only see a small fraction of each player. We don't get to see workouts or hear interviews. They get to see it all and know what they are looking for.
Of course I have my favorite picks but even that changes from day to day. At the end of the day, I will be excited to move forward and see what the future holds.

My prediction is that at 4 we take whoever is still available between Risacher and Castle.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Please ship off all your good players for picks, so that the picks we own end up being near the top of the draft for the next three years.

This team is in such trouble. Spurs should just sit back and enjoy the fire. Moving up this year, Trae, DeJounte…none of it is worth giving up those picks up for.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

jteagle said:

My prediction is that at 4 we take whoever is still available between Risacher and Castle.

Agreed. I think we keep both. Maybe trade 8 if it's for future 1sts to spread out even more draft capital. And I'd be okay with that.
Agzonfire
I don't follow a lot. Is it possible to get 1 & 2 next year on a top heavy draft? We're trying to suck next year, right?
AA
AG
Spurs sitting back and watching all of their future picks pan out well.

Potential 2025 R1 Picks:

Charlotte (Lottery Protected)
- Likely won't convey unless they make a big trade
Atlanta (no protections)
- Sounds like they're looking to trade all but JJ
Chicago (Top 10 Protected)
- Just traded Caruso, shopping Lavine
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I don't think we will be actively tanking next year, or at least I hope we aren't. I'd expect us to be in or near the play-in.
First Page Last Page
Page 108 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.