***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

258,172 Views | 4288 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Guitarsoup
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It all kind of depends on what we do this offseason. But I think best case, we are an away team in the play in. The West is brutal. I think we are looking at two lottery picks next year, somewhere between 8th-14th lottery spots between us and Atlanta.
Guitarsoup
AG
I still think Pop will do something like Point Sochan to get a comfortable amount of losses.
Agzonfire
Enzo The Baker said:

It all kind of depends on what we do this offseason. But I think best case, we are an away team in the play in. The West is brutal. I think we are looking at two lottery picks next year, somewhere between 8th-14th lottery spots between us and Atlanta.

Again, Im not the most informed but this would seem like a disaster. All Ive heard for the past few years is how Atlantas 2025 pick was our big key to the future.
We know Wemby is a star, IMO we have one more year to build the foundation and then they need to be all in mortgaging the future to build around that group in the same way Milwaukee did around Giannis
Enzo The Baker
AG
Agzonfire said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Again, Im not the most informed but this would seem like a disaster. All Ive heard for the past few years is how Atlantas 2025 pick was our big key to the future.
We know Wemby is a star, IMO we have one more year to build the foundation and then they need to be all in mortgaging the future to build around that group in the same way Milwaukee did around Giannis

I don't think it would be a disaster. I think with the combined odds of us and Atlanta, we'd have a decent chance at getting a top 4 pick. And if we don't, we have assets we can use to move up if necessary. We have to improve next year. Wemby is so good that we won't be able not to. I expect us, at the very least, to pick up where we left off.

Edit. And the spurs won't mortgage their future. Even with Wemby. They will get him to buy in. Luckily we don't have a front office like Milwaukee. And Wemby is not Giannis.
jteagle
AG
Next year's draft is deep. They should be able to get a really good player even if they aren't in the Top 5.
jteagle
AG
Speaking of next year.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Dink Pate- must have
Enzo The Baker
AG
It's pretty amusing that we control the direction of Atlanta's franchise. We have all the leverage in the world to get what we want from them in a trade…again. Their asking price is reportedly high in trades from us. Hopefully we call their bluff and let them rebuild on the fly.
Guitarsoup
AG

Guitarsoup
AG

jteagle
AG
I still think Holland has the most star potential in this draft. Just sad that Ignite was such a trainwreck this year. It's like he missed a year of good development.
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle said:

I still think Holland has the most star potential in this draft. Just sad that Ignite was such a trainwreck this year. It's like he missed a year of good development.

I think ignite set him back multiple years. He's athletic but I don't think he's as athletic like Amen Thompson and he doesn't do anything on offense other than transition basketball.

He's an inch taller than Castle but 15lbs lighter.

He's apparently falling a lot and had a lot of bad workouts.

I'm not much of a fan and think he's a project
flashplayer
AG
AA said:

Spurs sitting back and watching all of their future picks pan out well.

Potential 2025 R1 Picks:

Charlotte (Lottery Protected)
- Likely won't convey unless they make a big trade
Atlanta (no protections)
- Sounds like they're looking to trade all but JJ
Chicago (Top 10 Protected)
- Just traded Caruso, shopping Lavine

Toronto worked out this year but I highly doubt the Charlotte or Chicago picks ever convey. Will be happy to be wrong but my money is on those both turning into 2nd round picks eventually. They're both in either rebuild or early build stage.
Enzo The Baker
AG
flashplayer said:

AA said:

Potential 2025 R1 Picks:

Atlanta (no protections)

Toronto worked out this year but I highly doubt the Charlotte or Chicago picks ever convey. Will be happy to be wrong but my money is on those both turning into 2nd round picks eventually. They're both in either rebuild or early build stage.

I agree on the hornets. Although if they get a full season of a healthy Melo in a crappy East, you never know.

With Chicago it's far too early to tell. We don't even know what other offseason moves they will make this season alone. While directions point to a small restart with the Caruso trade, it's still a top 8 protection in 2026 and 2027 which is actually probably more beneficial to the Spurs from an asset management standpoint.

Edit: Also keep in mind, Chicago ownership has given orders that they want to remain competitive. They want to make the playoffs even if it's just for one round. Not be bad. Whether management convinced them to deviate from that, I'm not sure.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

flashplayer said:

AA said:

Potential 2025 R1 Picks:

Atlanta (no protections)

I agree on the hornets. Although if they get a full season of a healthy Melo in a crappy East, you never know.

With Chicago it's far too early to tell. We don't even know what other offseason moves they will make this season alone. While directions point to a small restart with the Caruso trade, it's still a top 8 protection in 2026 and 2027 which is actually probably more beneficial to the Spurs from an asset management standpoint.

Edit: Also keep in mind, Chicago ownership has given orders that they want to remain competitive. They want to make the playoffs even if it's just for one round. Not be bad. Whether management convinced them to deviate from that, I'm not sure.

As of right now, Chicago appears to be keeping Derozan in order to stay competitive. As we all are very familiar with, Demar is certainly good enough to get a team to the play in. I think there's a far better chance the Chicago pick conveys than Charlotte.
West Texan
AG
Of course I post that, then immediately see this on Twitter. /facepalm

flashplayer
AG
After Derozan landed in Chicago I mever expected it to end any other way. Chicago is probably gonna blow it up and their lack of progress has foreshadowed that for quite some time.
Guitarsoup
AG
The East sucks and Chicago has good enough players to get a 9+ pick.

It's top 10 next year and top 8 final two years.
Enzo The Baker
AG

The market for LaVine is going to be pretty barren given his contract and injuries and Chicago isn't going to attach picks to unload him. I think it's likely he stays in Chicago. If healthy, he will be a better fit than DeMar with Giddey It could realistically lead to a conveyance next year, 'best case' scenario.
Guitarsoup
AG

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Yes to the last sentence. Worth it to give it one more year for them if we aren't competing this season in case one might turn a corner in being a future rotation contributor. But next season, if we still have Keldon, Malaki and Wesley contributing in the same way, time to move on.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
I hope Branham is gone regardless. No defense ass clown.

I like Wesley more, but I don't know if he's ever going to take the leap.

Keldon is still here to be matching salary. He needs to surprise everyone to become a depth guy on a championship team.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I hope that whatever trades we might make include Branham as additional sweetener. I see his potential as a 3-level threat and that should have some value in the league, but he is just so lazy and self-centered on both sides of the court. He is only 21 though, and the ceiling is there, so I won't be super upset if he's still around. But if he is then he's probably going to be on a very short leash and have more competition pushing him.
West Texan
AG

Pretty good company
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Pretty good company

Dev's most impressive leap last year. Next is shot selection and building a defensive identity again.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Pretty good company

Dev's most impressive leap last year. Next is shot selection and building a defensive identity again.

I think his defense will look so much better when he's got Castle, Sochan, Wemby and maybe Carter on the floor with him
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Pretty good company

I think his defense will look so much better when he's got Castle, Sochan, Wemby and maybe Carter on the floor with him

Don't get my hopes up.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Risacher -250 now to the Hawks. Woj reported that ATL is not currently in any discussions on trades for the #1 pick and he doesn't see the hawks trading the pick. WTF is that team doing?
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Risacher -250 now to the Hawks. Woj reported that ATL is not currently in any discussions on trades for the #1 pick and he doesn't see the hawks trading the pick. WTF is that team doing?

Walmart Croissant Jalen Johnson is an interesting choice
Enzo The Baker
AG
Mikal Bridges to NYK. A little less likely that Sheppard falls to us now.
Guitarsoup
AG

That's a lot of picks. Are they keeping IG, too?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Guitarsoup said:

That's a lot of picks. Are they keeping IG, too?

5 first rounders?? FIVE?! Holy ****
West Texan
AG
Are they hiring Jay Wright to coach all those Villanova guys?
West Texan
AG
I like the fit of Bridges with that Knicks squad. 4 unprotected picks and an unprotected swap is crazy to give up!
First Page Last Page
Page 109 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.