***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

258,086 Views | 4288 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Guitarsoup
Sher Thing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think that's what they are hoping Sochan can eventually do for this team. Not against it but man the Spurs have to get some guys who can shoot at some point. Hard to win in today's NBA without shooters.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

I like Risacher but I'm pretty much in the Castle camp at 4 even over him. I think the upside is higher. Risacher looks like a solid 3 and D prospect but his inability to put the ball on the floor and his below average handles are a little concerning to me when going against NBA level athletes. Valid concerns over Castle's shot; however, I think his shooting will be better then advertised and I don't think his shot is broken.

4. Castle
8. Dillingham/Knecht

If the Spurs reach for someone like Salaun or Carter at 8 I won't be upset. Same if Clingan drops to 8.

Kind of where I am at right now.
Watching 25yo Luka dominating his way to the Finals definitely reinforces my belief of a need of a POA defender PG in addition to Sochan.

I'm a lot more flexible at 8. Salaun or Williams as a project, though I prefer Salaun. Knecht to play now, though I'm less enthusiastic about that. I'm completely out on parking cone Rob.

If the spurs get Risacher at 4 and we can't get Castle at 8, I'd be really interested in Carter. I'd almost even consider doubling up on PGs/tweeners and take Castle 4 and Carter 8 as I think they would complete shift the Spurs' defensive culture. I would be hesitant to do that because of the awkward fit. They could both play in the backcourt but would be smaller. And it doesn't address our shooting need. Although Carter shot 38% from 3 on 7 shot attempts per game. That's pretty impressive given the high volume.

I also want Castle more than Risacher.
Sher Thing
AG
I understand all the PG talk coming from Castle's camp and I think he will get his opportunity there but he's also 6'7 in shoes. I think he can easily hold his own at SF down the line once he matures which adds to the versatility of the pick.

I wouldn't have a problem taking another guard at 8. The Wesley experiment looks close to over and Tre is entering the last year of his deal. That leaves Vassell and Branham. I don't think the Spurs are trying to build some long-term winning core this year. You still take best player available at 8. Nobody is safe on the Spurs roster besides Wemby.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I think that's what they are hoping Sochan can eventually do for this team. Not against it but man the Spurs have to get some guys who can shoot at some point. Hard to win in today's NBA without shooters.
I think Castle will be fine as a shooter. He had wrist issues early in the season (even missed some games) but after Feb 1st, he shot 86% from the line. That's 19 games, the majority of the season including conference, conference tournament and the Dance. Plus his mechanics look good and he isn't slow or low.

We need more than one stopper. And yes, they do need to be able to shoot, but we have seen a lot of progress.

Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

I like Risacher but I'm pretty much in the Castle camp at 4 even over him. I think the upside is higher. Risacher looks like a solid 3 and D prospect but his inability to put the ball on the floor and his below average handles are a little concerning to me when going against NBA level athletes. Valid concerns over Castle's shot; however, I think his shooting will be better then advertised and I don't think his shot is broken.

4. Castle
8. Dillingham/Knecht

If the Spurs reach for someone like Salaun or Carter at 8 I won't be upset. Same if Clingan drops to 8.

Kind of where I am at right now.
Watching 25yo Luka dominating his way to the Finals definitely reinforces my belief of a need of a POA defender PG in addition to Sochan.

I'm a lot more flexible at 8. Salaun or Williams as a project, though I prefer Salaun. Knecht to play now, though I'm less enthusiastic about that. I'm completely out on parking cone Rob.

If the spurs get Risacher at 4 and we can't get Castle at 8, I'd be really interested in Carter. I'd almost even consider doubling up on PGs/tweeners and take Castle 4 and Carter 8 as I think they would complete shift the Spurs' defensive culture. I would be hesitant to do that because of the awkward fit. They could both play in the backcourt but would be smaller. And it doesn't address our shooting need. Although Carter shot 38% from 3 on 7 shot attempts per game. That's pretty impressive given the high volume.

I also want Castle more than Risacher.
I like McClain and Carter a lot. I'd have both on my board above Dillingham and Topic. I wouldn't hate it, but would hope we had plans to upgrade our big wings another way. Add Kyle Anderson and Naji Marshall in free agency?

Like Sher Thing says below your post, Wesley and Branham are kind of done, and I have no use for either other than cheap hold on a roster spot.
Guitarsoup
AG
Not just Castle, I bet.

West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Not just Castle, I bet.

No franchise history of success, an injury prone PG with the most obnoxious family in the league, and a promising wing that was in a murder investigation. What's not to like?
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Not just Castle, I bet.

No franchise history of success, an injury prone PG with the most obnoxious family in the league, and a promising wing that was in a murder investigation. What's not to like?
Don't forget the felony domestic violence conviction for Miles Bridges and LaMelo driving over some kids that wanted autographs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Not just Castle, I bet.

The shack that MJ built.

Realistically, how much sway does a draftee have if they don't want to work out with a team? Would it really prevent a team from drafting that player?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Some knocks on Risacher that may not be well known according to Nate Duncan's podcast.

-Very small hands. Only finished 80% of his dunks.
-Almost an even height/wingspan (typically wing span at his height is a lot bigger). Can see it on defense with block and steal shortcomings.
-Probably won't be able to add a lot of weight to his frame.
-Can't shoot off the dribble. Only off the catch.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup said:

new ESPN Mock:

1 Hawks - Z. Risacher
2 Wizards - A. Sarr
Expect the Wizards to look at all options on the trade front -- suffice to say that much of the league is open to moving back for additional value given the difficult nature of this draft -- with players such as Donovan Clingan and Matas Buzelis viewed as options further down their board.
3 Rockets - R. Sheppard
Most teams expect the Rockets to heavily pursue trade opportunities, either to move down the board (for example with teams such as the Portland Trail Blazers, Memphis Grizzlies or Chicago Bulls) or to get out altogether if a major building block of a player -- such as Mikal Bridges -- presents itself unexpectedly.
4 Spurs - S. Castle
San Antonio has reportedly demonstrated strong interest in Castle, who might well land here if the Spurs stay put. Castle's two-way versatility, playmaking potential and size give him attractive upside, and also make him an easy player to pair with whomever the Spurs draft at No. 8
5 Pistons - M. Buzelis
6 Hornets - R. Dillingham
With less than a month to the draft, Charlotte has been connected to perimeter players, with the team said to be high on the long-term future of Mark Williams -- which might preclude drafting Donovan Clingan as an option here. Other names to watch for the Hornets include Cody Williams and Ron Holland.
7 Blazers - D. Clingan
There's chatter around the league that teams such as Portland, Memphis and Chicago might look to move up to draft Clingan earlier than this.
8 Spurs - T. Salaun
9 Grizz - D. Knecht
10 Jazz - N. Topic
Teams are awaiting Topic's forthcoming medical information, and he will participate in his required portion of the pre-draft process next week in Treviso, Italy. He sustained multiple knee injuries this season, returning in April before injuring himself again a few weeks later, and his health status looks likely to impact his place in the lottery hierarchy. Utah is among the interested parties in Topic, with Dalton Knecht, Ron Holland and Ja'Kobe Walter among other prospects who are getting looks from the Jazz at No. 10
11 Bulls - R. Holland
Holland, who is ranked No. 11 in ESPN's Top 100, is in the conversation for teams that are drafting higher than this, including Detroit at No. 5. Scouts were hoping to see Holland show more progress with his perimeter shooting than what they saw at the draft combine or at his pro day, making him somewhat of a situational fit for certain lottery teams that are grappling with surrounding their existing players with ample spacing.
12 OKC - D. Carter
13 Kings - J. Walter
He also has plenty of upside to grow into at 19 years old. Other perimeter shooters, such as local product Jared McCain and sharpshooting wings Johnny Furphy and Kyshawn George, will also likely be in play here for Sacramento.
14 Blazers - C. Williams
Williams has drawn strong interest from teams in the top 10, including Charlotte, San Antonio and Utah. Another viable landing spot would be Portland, where his size and defensive upside make for an appealing fit alongside the Trail Blazers' guards.
15 Heat - Z. Edey
16 76ers - J. McCain
McCain has been receiving interest as high as the late lottery, with teams drawn to his shooting ability, intangibles and work ethic. He might be more prepared than most freshmen to step into a role and help an NBA team. He figures to not last long into the teens.
17 Lakers - T. Da Silva
18 Magic - J. Furphy
Furphy has been a bit divisive from team to team, with some scouts highly intrigued by his shooting, size and physical skills at his age, and others concerned with his defense and the fact it might take him some time to contribute.
19 Raptors - K. George
20 Cavs - C. Carrington
After a good showing shooting the ball at the draft combine in Chicago, Carrington has been selective with where and for which teams he chooses to work out. His range is still a bit wide, but teams view him as a strong first-round upside pick.
21 Pels - I. Collier
22 Suns - K. Filipowski
23 Bucks - K. Ware
Ware, who is ranked No. 25 in ESPN's Top 100, has done a good job of addressing some of the red flags in his profile from his time at Oregon with stronger-than-expected interviews and background intel, helping to solidify his standing in the first round.
24 Knicks - Y. Missi
25 Knicks - T. Kolek
26 Wizards - B. Klintman
27 Wolves - B. Scheierman
28 Nuggets - D. Holmes II (FINALLY!!!)
Sources told ESPN Holmes recently canceled several workouts, raising strong suspicions that he has secured a guarantee in the back part of the first round.
29 Jazz - J. Edwards
30 Celtics - K. McCullar

Quote:

4. San Antonio Spurs

Stephon Castle, PG/SG, UConn | Age: 19.5

The Spurs have been exploring all options with their two top-10 picks as they enter a critical offseason. With Victor Wembanyama on a superstar-level trajectory, San Antonio has an opportunity to accelerate its path toward the playoffs, whether that's via the draft, trades or other means. The biggest roster need is at point guard, and rival teams have connected the Spurs to the Cleveland Cavaliers' Darius Garland as they work to revamp the team.

Keeping both these picks and taking multiple swings in the draft is also an attractive path, with the challenge being nailing the right pairing of players who will fit together with Wembanyama. San Antonio has demonstrated strong interest in Castle, who might well land here if the Spurs stay put. Castle's two-way versatility, playmaking potential and size (6-6, 215 pounds) give him attractive upside, and also make him an easy player to pair with whomever the Spurs draft at No. 8. -- Woo
Quote:

8. San Antonio Spurs

Tidjane Salaun, PF, Cholet (France) | Age: 18.8

Salaun has arrived in the U.S. for workouts, but will head back overseas next week to the NBA's pre-draft camp in Treviso, Italy, to complete his required medicals and testing. He has gained steam as a lottery candidate after finishing his season in strong form, showcasing his physical tools and potential versatility at either forward spot.

Salaun, yet to turn 19, is still a ways away from contributing at a high level, but the room for long-term growth makes him an appealing development pick in the mid-to-late lottery. His familiarity with Victor Wembanyama likely doesn't hurt his case as an option for San Antonio, but the Spurs are considering a handful of prospects at this spot, including Dillingham, Nikola Topic, Cody Williams and Dalton Knecht. -- Woo
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/page/NBADraft24-40245844/2024-nba-mock-draft-predictions-all-58-picks-ncaa-early-entry-withdrawal-deadline
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Not just Castle, I bet.

The shack that MJ built.

Realistically, how much sway does a draftee have if they don't want to work out with a team? Would it really prevent a team from drafting that player?
Might give them pause. Steph Curry refused to work out for Golden State because he wanted to play for the Knicks and JJJ refused to workout for Memphis.
Guitarsoup
AG
Took someone's idea on Reddit and tweaked a little.

We give up Keldon, #8, and the Chicago pick (top 10 protected) for Darius Garland. Cleveland picks up Jeremi Grant and Brogdon as well as the #14th pick. Since Cleveland isn't going to resign Okoro when they Grant, Strus, Wade, and Merrill, they wrap him into a S&T to us in the deal.

Cleveland gets a pick and two win now players. Portland moves up from 14 to 8 and gets an extra pick next year, plus saves a ton of money and Spurs get a young PG and D&3 player.

I'm more of a wait another year guy, but I like it.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

We give up Keldon, #8, and the Chicago pick (top 10 protected) for Darius Garland. Cleveland picks up Jeremi Grant and Brogdon as well as the #14th pick. Since Cleveland isn't going to resign Okoro when they Grant, Strus, Wade, and Merrill, they wrap him into a S&T to us in the deal.

Cleveland gets a pick and two win now players. Portland moves up from 14 to 8 and gets an extra pick next year, plus saves a ton of money and Spurs get a young PG and D&3 player.

Who would you take at 4 in this scenario? Still go after Castle for defense and secondary playmaking?
Sher Thing
AG
I think I'd rather just sign Immanuel Quickly and keep our draft picks.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Who would you take at 4 in this scenario? Still go after Castle for defense and secondary playmaking?
I don't know, because I don't believe in Matas. I think I trade #4, but I still believe in Castle. But we also need 3/4 really bad.

Wemby/Collins/Bassey
Sochan/Julian
Okoro/Cissoko
Vassell/Branham
Garland/Tre/Wesley

Collins + 4 + Charlotte pick for 2 + Richaun Holmes and take Risacher? Using the MLE on SloMo would help that rotation a lot.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I think I'd rather just sign Immanuel Quickly and keep our draft picks.
He's a restricted free agent, if we cut Bassey/Julian, we can only offer him about $20M and Toronto matches basically anything.
West Texan
AG
I honestly think as long as we can hold on to our most valuable 2025 picks (ours and the hawks) then there's not really any wrong way to go about this draft/offseason. There's a chance to add players that will increase our talent level now like Garland, or we could just ride out these two picks and see what happens. I also believe that you draft best player available regardless of any potential signings/trades that might be made. The only fit that should be taken into consideration is Wemby.
Guitarsoup
AG
My only pause with Garland is he has a max contract. He isn't worth a max contract. I think he is ranked somewhere around 12-18th best PG in the league and should be on a contract similar to Devin. But he is going to make 70M more than Devin over 5 years.

But I feel like Keldon+8+Chicago pick for Garland+Okoro is good value.
Guitarsoup
AG
Someone (Lowe? Ringer?) is floating the idea of Minnesota trading KAT for Kuzma and #2 to get off the luxury tax.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

My only pause with Garland is he has a max contract. He isn't worth a max contract. I think he is ranked somewhere around 12-18th best PG in the league and should be on a contract similar to Devin. But he is going to make 70M more than Devin over 5 years.

But I feel like Keldon+8+Chicago pick for Garland+Okoro is good value.

We discussed Garland and his huge contract a few pages back, and that's not my first choice of moves to make. But if PATFO feels like he's a long term piece and he could be had for the kind of deal you showed, then I'm not gonna complain. We all love draft assets, but they have to turn into players for their value to be fully realized.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Someone (Lowe? Ringer?) is floating the idea of Minnesota trading KAT for Kuzma and #2 to get off the luxury tax.

That would be a hell of a haul for the wolves. Wizards just a landing spot for distressed assets. They'd be dumb to make that move.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'd make that trade in a heart beat if I were Washington. I don't see anyone in this draft ending up as good as KAT, despite some of his flaws.
Guitarsoup
AG
Two replies and both think it is a steal for opposite teams.

Without a trade, for the Wolves to resign SloMo to a $10M contract, it costs them $40M in tax.

Wolves save about 15M in total salary and get younger. They can go with Risacher or Sheppard, they can flip 2, or trade down. Naz Reid is way cheaper and still good.

Washington gets their "Star" tank commander. Kuz is meh and do they think they can get someone better at 2? Everyone is a project and Washington isnt exaclty great at developing.

I like it.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Not sure this is a surprise but KOC mentioned on his most recent draft podcast that he's heard the Spurs are looking for size. Not really a surprise as this is BW's view on drafting anyways, but 'size' can really mean anything. To me it means big guards and wings but maybe it could more than that.

He and Givony went on to say that they thought the Spurs would be the best fit for Sheppard.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Not sure this is a surprise but KOC mentioned on his most recent draft podcast that he's heard the Spurs are looking for size. Not really a surprise as this is BW's view on drafting anyways, but 'size' can really mean anything. To me it means big guards and wings but maybe it could more than that.

He and Givony went on to say that they thought the Spurs would be the best fit for Sheppard.

Yeah just listened to that and the interview with Devin Carter.

Would love Reed + Castle. I don't really see a path to a trade up to 2/3 for Risacher, which is fine.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Yeah just listened to that and the interview with Devin Carter.

Would love Reed + Castle. I don't really see a path to a trade up to 2/3 for Risacher, which is fine.

Same. As mentioned, I also wouldn't mind a Castle/Carter combo. I can see Castle, Sheppard and Carter all being top 7 rotational players on a championship team, with ceilings for the former two in the top 4.

Also not a surprise but given that interview, Carter seems to get it. He's gonna be an nba player for a long time, which at 8 in a bad draft is not terrible value, particularly given his game changing defense.
Guitarsoup
AG
KOC's new mock on The Ringah has Spurs taking Matas at 4 then Topic at 8.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

KOC's new mock on The Ringah has Spurs taking Matas at 4 then Topic at 8.

Gross. These are the times when I go back to thinking, yea KOC isn't really that great. Like Killian Hayes being his top prospect.
Guitarsoup
AG
Yeah, I like how write ups, but then he says he hears that Spurs want size so he makes the indefensible pick of Maya's over Reed Sheppard. It's bizarre. He even says the Spurs are the perfect place for Reed
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I wouldn't mind Matas at the 8 spot, and wouldn't necessarily throw a fit if we grabbed him at 4 either. He tested out really well at the combine and has one of the more intriguing skillsets available. When you think about the actualized version of all of these prospects, Matas is an easy guy to see making a difference in a playoff rotation. He's about 6'10 in shoes and is agile with some bounce. He is a willing rebounder and has some playmaking and shooting upside. I know he stunk it up for the Ignite but that organization was literally so inept that it has since been disbanded (and it should be noted that he was arguably the best defender on the team, though that is not saying much). He could end up giving us all Luka Samanic flashbacks, but I also see Lamar Odom/Hedo Turkoglu as fair comps if he hits his upside. If he puts on some good muscle and embraces playing the 4 spot, he could be one of the better players from this class.
Enzo The Baker
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I wouldn't mind Matas at the 8 spot, and wouldn't necessarily throw a fit if we grabbed him at 4 either. He tested out really well at the combine and has one of the more intriguing skillsets available. When you think about the actualized version of all of these prospects, Matas is an easy guy to see making a difference in a playoff rotation. He's about 6'10 in shoes and is agile with some bounce. He is a willing rebounder and has some playmaking and shooting upside. I know he stunk it up for the Ignite but that organization was literally so inept that it has since been disbanded (and it should be noted that he was arguably the best defender on the team, though that is not saying much). He could end up giving us all Luka Samanic flashbacks, but I also see Lamar Odom/Hedo Turkoglu as fair comps if he hits his upside. If he puts on some good muscle and embraces playing the 4 spot, he could be one of the better players from this class.

I'd be okay with him at 8 depending how things fall, but I want a rotational player right off the bat at 4.
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I think he is too slow laterally to be able to guard wings, and at just 197lbs at his height, he is way way to weak to guard PFs or bigs. So where is he?

His handles are just bad and he had a negative assist to turnover ratio for Ignite. I don't buy him as a good shooter. If he had his size and could shoot and create, then he is interesting.

But we have a guy that doesn't dribble well, doesn't finish well, doesn't shoot well, doesn't pass well, doesn't defend well. He's just meh straight across the board.

This is a weak draft, so everyone has warts on them, but what is Matas really great at?

Reed Sheppard is an elite shooter, even if you don't buy his defense or creation at the next level.
Castle is a great POA defender, even if you don't buy his PG skills or shooting at the next level.
Topic is a good PnR PG, even if you don't buy his defense or shooting or off-ball at the next level.

Matas just isn't good at anything. There is just hope that his mediocre abilities at a lot of things become good or great at a lot of things and that's too much for me. I feel like Matas is ok at everything, but that's not exciting and I don't feel like that projects into a good or great player. If he's there at 8, maybe take a shot at him.

But a draft where we need shooting and defense, and we draft two guys that provide neither is a big failure
superunknown
AG
Same podcast that this came from?

First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.