***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

210,948 Views | 3825 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by superunknown
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Here's my dumb Spurs question of the day. Would you prefer:

1. All UCONN Draft

#4: Castle
#8 Clingan
#35: Karaban
#48: Cam Spencer or Tristen Newton

2. All France Draft:

#4: Risacher
#8: Salaun
#35: Dadiet
#48: Ajinca

I think I'd do All UCONN team. Gives us a sure fire top 10 defense. We can get some other frenchies in 2025.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

My personal draft board is Risacher then Castle.

It's strange. I'm watching this thinking 'yep, after these three performances, he's definitely a top 2 pick in this year's draft.' But at the same time I'm thinking, ' I can't believe these are video highlights of a top 2 pick in the nba draft.'
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

My personal draft board is Risacher then Castle.

It's strange. I'm watching this thinking 'yep, after these three performances, he's definitely a top 2 pick in this year's draft.' But at the same time I'm thinking, ' I can't believe these are video highlights of a top 2 pick in the nba draft.'

The guys that I think have potential to be more than just a useful piece, have very serious questions that give them really low floors.

Risacher I think is going to be a very useful player, but never more than a high end 3 & D.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I agree.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

I really hate the idea of drafting Clingan (fit next to Wemby is awful)
I think there is a good chance that Clingan is the best player available at 8, and our defense falls off so much we need a backup that can be a defensive anchor. We also probably need a big guy that can go up against guys like Jokic and maybe Embiid. If we get him, I think Collins gets traded pretty quickly.

I'd be fine trading Collins regardless of who we draft.
Need to have a backup center i we move him.

The thing I spitballed the other day was draft Clingan at 8, trade Zach for Chris Paul's 1y deal and have 60M in cap space plus Spurs, Hawks, Bulls, and (probably not) Hornets picks next summer.

Let Mamu take those backup center minutes.
Clingan >>>> Mamu and Mamu is a FA.

Clingan is likely going to be a better passing Jakob Poeltl.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Quote:

I really hate the idea of drafting Clingan (fit next to Wemby is awful)
I think there is a good chance that Clingan is the best player available at 8, and our defense falls off so much we need a backup that can be a defensive anchor. We also probably need a big guy that can go up against guys like Jokic and maybe Embiid. If we get him, I think Collins gets traded pretty quickly.

I'd be fine trading Collins regardless of who we draft.
Need to have a backup center i we move him.

The thing I spitballed the other day was draft Clingan at 8, trade Zach for Chris Paul's 1y deal and have 60M in cap space plus Spurs, Hawks, Bulls, and (probably not) Hornets picks next summer.

Let Mamu take those backup center minutes.
Clingan >>>> Mamu and Mamu is a FA.

Clingan is likely going to be a better passing Jakob Poeltl.

I fully believe that Clingan will be a solid player, just not for the Spurs.

I also really like Mamu and hope he finds a way to stick around.
AA
AG
They aren't really the same position. Mamu is a Boris/SloMo type big that stretches the floor. Clingan is a rim protector.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'd rather let go of Bassey than not re-sign Mamu. Two serious leg injuries in less in a year isn't great.
Sher Thing
AG
I think I'd take Castle at 4 over Risacher. Don't see a world where you get both. Still a ways to go though.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I think I'd take Castle at 4 over Risacher. Don't see a world where you get both. Still a ways to go though.
Depends how much Charlotte believes Castle hates them and won't play for them.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

This draft is harder to predict than normal because of the lack of high end prospects and teams that could be looking to make trades out of the lottery. However, there's a greater than 0% chance we could get Castle at 8 if Risacher falls to 4. Pistons and Blazers definitely don't need guards and Charlotte strikes me as the kind of organization that would prioritize offense over defense and would pick Dillingham or Sheppard if they really want another guard.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

This draft is harder to predict than normal because of the lack of high end prospects and teams that could be looking to make trades out of the lottery. However, there's a greater than 0% chance we could get Castle at 8 if Risacher falls to 4. Pistons and Blazers definitely don't need guards and Charlotte strikes me as the kind of organization that would prioritize offense over defense and would pick Dillingham or Sheppard if they really want another guard.
There are a few thoughts on Charlotte.

1. Mark Williams is their center, but he had a bad back injury and missed almost all the season. If they don't think he will be the same, they may go Clingan.
2. They want Castle to be the POA defender because Miller and Ball suck and also because Ball is always hurt, so Castle will be his replacement.
3. They go Ron Holland because he is taller/longer/more athletic than Castle so he can be POA defender and also guard bigger players as needed.
4. They want Buzelias and hope that he can create and defend and learn to shoot.

But yeah, there aren't real good thoughts on all the players and teams and what they will do.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

1. Mark Williams is their center, but he had a bad back injury and missed almost all the season. If they don't think he will be the same, they may go Clingan.
2. They want Castle to be the POA defender because Miller and Ball suck and also because Ball is always hurt, so Castle will be his replacement.
3. They go Ron Holland because he is taller/longer/more athletic than Castle so he can be POA defender and also guard bigger players as needed.
4. They want Buzelias and hope that he can create and defend and learn to shoot.

But yeah, there aren't real good thoughts on all the players and teams and what they will do.

Washington will kind of start the dominoes with their pick at 2. They need everything, so Risacher, Clingan, Topic, Castle, etc. all make sense for them. After that it's Houston and if they're able to trade their pick. I'd they keep it then I gotta think they go Sheppard, Clingan, maybe reach for a plug and play guy like Knecht.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

Washington will kind of start the dominoes with their pick at 2. They need everything, so Risacher, Clingan, Topic, Castle, etc. all make sense for them. After that it's Houston and if they're able to trade their pick. I'd they keep it then I gotta think they go Sheppard, Clingan, maybe reach for a plug and play guy like Knecht.
I think Risacher may make the least sense for Washington, but he also might be the best player in the draft.

I think Houston is Sheppard or Clingan or Risacher, even though Risacher doesn't make much sense with Jabari, Eason, Brooks, Cam Whitmore, etc.

It is just weird all the way around.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

I think Risacher may make the least sense for Washington, but he also might be the best player in the draft.

I think Houston is Sheppard or Clingan or Risacher, even though Risacher doesn't make much sense with Jabari, Eason, Brooks, Cam Whitmore, etc.

If I'm Houston I'd be trying my hardest to package that #3 pick for a guy that can hopefully put you in the playoffs. Maybe to Cleveland for Donovan Mitchell if he doesn't sign an extension?
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

If I'm Houston I'd be trying my hardest to package that #3 pick for a guy that can hopefully put you in the playoffs. Maybe to Cleveland for Donovan Mitchell if he doesn't sign an extension?
Yeah, I think they are, but the problem is no one really cares about any of the players in the top ten enough to give anything of value.

I think Houston wants to package #3 and Jalen Green and no one is interested.

Cavs are in win-now mode, so Rockets don't have a lot that they would want.

I can see Houston being involved in New Orleans trades (Brandon Ingram is on the block) and most likely trades with the Nets, since Houston owns the Nets future picks.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Stacey Castle, Stephon's dad, was Timmy's teammate at Wake. Destiny.
Guitarsoup
Enzo The Baker
AG
KOC interviewed Jared McCain. Seems like a Spurs player on and off the court. Really intelligent and self aware. Currently 9 on the ringer big board but KOC says he's moving him up next Monday.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Tonight at midnight is the deadline for draftees to make a decision to stay on the draft or not. Will be interesting to see what Karaban does. His last scheduled nba workout was yesterday.
Sher Thing
AG
McCain and Carter are both very interesting to watch and are very much in play at 8.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

KOC interviewed Jared McCain. Seems like a Spurs player on and off the court. Really intelligent and self aware. Currently 9 on the ringer big board but KOC says he's moving him up next Monday.

I like him a lot but not sure he's a starter long term? Is he a backup upgrade to Tre?
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I like him a lot but not sure he's a starter long term? Is he a backup upgrade to Tre?

He's a tweener. I see him as a 2 on the second unit. Maybe on the first if we move Vassell to 3. I like his shooting.

Edit: From a size/scoring/athleticism standpoint, I do like Knecht at 8 a lot better. But a young, high iq player in McCain is really appealing as well. I'm just tired of drafting dumb players.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Tonight at midnight is the deadline for draftees to make a decision to stay on the draft or not. Will be interesting to see what Karaban does. His last scheduled nba workout was yesterday.

Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Boooo. I don't think it's a great professional decision on his part. Next year's draft is only going to be more competitive and I don't see him improving too much in his role with UCONN.
Enzo The Baker
AG
It came out that he likely will make a good amount more in NIL than he would on a two way. That with a chance to threepeat was likely too much to pass up.
Enzo The Baker
AG
All UCONN draft still in play.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup
AG

Be stupid and draft Topic, Washington!
Guitarsoup
AG
Some nerd put a spreadsheet together of the big board including where everyone is ranked by hte major draft sites.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VvvKK895Gj1ycUmA82cZp93VDpIw1udU8kto2GKKEcw/edit#gid=1173092704
Guitarsoup
AG
new ESPN Mock:

1 Hawks - Z. Risacher
2 Wizards - A. Sarr
Expect the Wizards to look at all options on the trade front -- suffice to say that much of the league is open to moving back for additional value given the difficult nature of this draft -- with players such as Donovan Clingan and Matas Buzelis viewed as options further down their board.
3 Rockets - R. Sheppard
Most teams expect the Rockets to heavily pursue trade opportunities, either to move down the board (for example with teams such as the Portland Trail Blazers, Memphis Grizzlies or Chicago Bulls) or to get out altogether if a major building block of a player -- such as Mikal Bridges -- presents itself unexpectedly.
4 Spurs - S. Castle
San Antonio has reportedly demonstrated strong interest in Castle, who might well land here if the Spurs stay put. Castle's two-way versatility, playmaking potential and size give him attractive upside, and also make him an easy player to pair with whomever the Spurs draft at No. 8
5 Pistons - M. Buzelis
6 Hornets - R. Dillingham
With less than a month to the draft, Charlotte has been connected to perimeter players, with the team said to be high on the long-term future of Mark Williams -- which might preclude drafting Donovan Clingan as an option here. Other names to watch for the Hornets include Cody Williams and Ron Holland.
7 Blazers - D. Clingan
There's chatter around the league that teams such as Portland, Memphis and Chicago might look to move up to draft Clingan earlier than this.
8 Spurs - T. Salaun
9 Grizz - D. Knecht
10 Jazz - N. Topic
Teams are awaiting Topic's forthcoming medical information, and he will participate in his required portion of the pre-draft process next week in Treviso, Italy. He sustained multiple knee injuries this season, returning in April before injuring himself again a few weeks later, and his health status looks likely to impact his place in the lottery hierarchy. Utah is among the interested parties in Topic, with Dalton Knecht, Ron Holland and Ja'Kobe Walter among other prospects who are getting looks from the Jazz at No. 10
11 Bulls - R. Holland
Holland, who is ranked No. 11 in ESPN's Top 100, is in the conversation for teams that are drafting higher than this, including Detroit at No. 5. Scouts were hoping to see Holland show more progress with his perimeter shooting than what they saw at the draft combine or at his pro day, making him somewhat of a situational fit for certain lottery teams that are grappling with surrounding their existing players with ample spacing.
12 OKC - D. Carter
13 Kings - J. Walter
He also has plenty of upside to grow into at 19 years old. Other perimeter shooters, such as local product Jared McCain and sharpshooting wings Johnny Furphy and Kyshawn George, will also likely be in play here for Sacramento.
14 Blazers - C. Williams
Williams has drawn strong interest from teams in the top 10, including Charlotte, San Antonio and Utah. Another viable landing spot would be Portland, where his size and defensive upside make for an appealing fit alongside the Trail Blazers' guards.
15 Heat - Z. Edey
16 76ers - J. McCain
McCain has been receiving interest as high as the late lottery, with teams drawn to his shooting ability, intangibles and work ethic. He might be more prepared than most freshmen to step into a role and help an NBA team. He figures to not last long into the teens.
17 Lakers - T. Da Silva
18 Magic - J. Furphy
Furphy has been a bit divisive from team to team, with some scouts highly intrigued by his shooting, size and physical skills at his age, and others concerned with his defense and the fact it might take him some time to contribute.
19 Raptors - K. George
20 Cavs - C. Carrington
After a good showing shooting the ball at the draft combine in Chicago, Carrington has been selective with where and for which teams he chooses to work out. His range is still a bit wide, but teams view him as a strong first-round upside pick.
21 Pels - I. Collier
22 Suns - K. Filipowski
23 Bucks - K. Ware
Ware, who is ranked No. 25 in ESPN's Top 100, has done a good job of addressing some of the red flags in his profile from his time at Oregon with stronger-than-expected interviews and background intel, helping to solidify his standing in the first round.
24 Knicks - Y. Missi
25 Knicks - T. Kolek
26 Wizards - B. Klintman
27 Wolves - B. Scheierman
28 Nuggets - D. Holmes II (FINALLY!!!)
Sources told ESPN Holmes recently canceled several workouts, raising strong suspicions that he has secured a guarantee in the back part of the first round.
29 Jazz - J. Edwards
30 Celtics - K. McCullar

Enzo The Baker
AG
A little surprised to see us have strong interest in Cody Williams.
Sher Thing
AG
I like Risacher but I'm pretty much in the Castle camp at 4 even over him. I think the upside is higher. Risacher looks like a solid 3 and D prospect but his inability to put the ball on the floor and his below average handles are a little concerning to me when going against NBA level athletes. Valid concerns over Castle's shot; however, I think his shooting will be better then advertised and I don't think his shot is broken.

4. Castle
8. Dillingham/Knecht

If the Spurs reach for someone like Salaun or Carter at 8 I won't be upset. Same if Clingan drops to 8.

Kind of where I am at right now.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I like Risacher but I'm pretty much in the Castle camp at 4 even over him. I think the upside is higher. Risacher looks like a solid 3 and D prospect but his inability to put the ball on the floor and his below average handles are a little concerning to me when going against NBA level athletes. Valid concerns over Castle's shot; however, I think his shooting will be better then advertised and I don't think his shot is broken.

4. Castle
8. Dillingham/Knecht

If the Spurs reach for someone like Salaun or Carter at 8 I won't be upset. Same if Clingan drops to 8.

Kind of where I am at right now.
Watching 25yo Luka dominating his way to the Finals definitely reinforces my belief of a need of a POA defender PG in addition to Sochan.

I'm a lot more flexible at 8. Salaun or Williams as a project, though I prefer Salaun. Knecht to play now, though I'm less enthusiastic about that. I'm completely out on parking cone Rob.
Guitarsoup
AG
And this is why I want to bring SloMo back this summer. Defense, Passing, IQ, and hopefully his shot returns (he had eye surgery this season and was having bad depth perception problems.)

First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 110

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.