***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

258,110 Views | 4288 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by Guitarsoup
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NBA Champion Derrick White
Enzo The Baker
AG
Reports that OG isn't happy with NYK's initial offer and may test FA.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Reports that OG isn't happy with NYK's initial offer and may test FA.
We would have to S&T but Knicks will get it done. OG's agent's dad is President of the Knicks
Enzo The Baker
AG
That makes sense. One can dream.

He's the ultimate high-end 3 and D player at the 3 spot IMO. We get him (with minimal draft capital being used) then Castle and a shooter in the draft and we are an immediate playin contender IMO.

People talk about Risacher as a 3&D wing, but honestly I don't see it. He lacks the measurements on D and has an above average defense ceiling at best IMO. And, although he is young, I'm not convinced of his shot either. The more time that passes, the less high I am on Risacher and feel like a move for him would be partially to appease Victor with the ASVEL connection.
Guitarsoup
AG
I agree with all that but feel that OG can be kind of a headache. He thinks he deserves a max and a big offensive role.he also misses a lot of games with various ailments.

I like his fit a lot, but mayb not his mental/attitude.
Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I agree with all that but feel that OG can be kind of a headache. He thinks he deserves a max and a big offensive role.he also misses a lot of games with various ailments.

Guys that just don't play much worry me.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

Guitarsoup said:

Guys that just don't play much worry me.

Wow. Looking at the games missed over his career. Yep. Never mind.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Devin is like 4/134-150M so I think OG is like 4/160-180, but he's gonna get over 200.

Over paying a guy that is hurt a lot and is realistically a #3-4 offensive player is what kills teams with new cap rules
Guitarsoup
AG
Kings trying to do Huerter, Barnes, and picks for Caruso and LaVine
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Kings trying to do Huerter, Barnes, and picks for Caruso and LaVine

That is gross, for both teams.
Guitarsoup
AG
If I'm the bulls, getting rid of 3y/140M of Lavine is worth contract year of Caruso plus getting picks.

Barnes and Huerter both have 2y left at about 12% of cap. Both would be easy to move.

LaVine gives a high level 3rd scorer if he's ever healthy and Caruso is an elite glue guy.

ACFresh is the only player here I like, but I think it works for both teams
jteagle
AG
West Texan
AG
Good lord Detroit is a dumpster fire of an organization. Monty may not be the greatest coach ever, but they gave him a big contract only to eat that money after one season where his best player was hurt?
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

That is wild. Wonder which one looked better. Just take both.
AA
AG
If Risacher is gone at 4, I wouldn't be surprised if those are our two picks.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

That is wild. Wonder which one looked better. Just take both.

Bleacher Report latest Mock Draft has exactly that. Castle at 4 and Carter at 8.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Pop setting up gladiator trials for the draft.
superunknown
AG
West Texan said:

Good lord Detroit is a dumpster fire of an organization. Monty may not be the greatest coach ever, but they gave him a big contract only to eat that money after one season where his best player was hurt?

Right?? They begged him to take that job. He'd said he wanted to take a year away from coaching and they just kept piling money on. Unbelievable. Detroit is unserious.

Also, kinda dig PATFO doing highlander ish on Castle and Carter. I hope Tim (in his dreads and holding a massive sword from his personal collection) watched casually.
Guitarsoup
AG
Spurs related notes from Jonathan Givony and Jeremy Woo latest mock draft

Spurs quite intrigued by Reed Sheppard, Sheppard worked out with Spurs last week.

Zaccharie Risacher will work out with Spurs on Friday

Spurs featured a workout where Stephon Castle and Devin Carter played against each other

Tidjane Salaun rolled his ankle during Spurs workout

Rob Dillingham will work out with Spurs today

Nikola Topic will visit with the Spurs before the draft

Ja'Kobe Walter had a 1 on 0 workout with Spurs

Spurs had a workout with Tyler Kolek

Pacome Dadiet will visit with the Spurs before the draft

Spurs had a workout with Cody Williams

SPECULATIVE NOTES:

Rival Teams have discussed the possibility of the Spurs moving Atlanta's 2025 unprotected pick along with one of their 2024 picks to move up to Pick 1.
*Givony notes it would be difficult to fathom the Spurs doing that.

*Rival teams would be surprised if Knecht made it past picks 7 and 8. He is a coveted player and his range seems cemented in the 4-9 range.

Spurs don't appear to be a Clingan landing spot

Spurs previous draft strategy favors positional size, length and intangibles. Stephon Castle and Cody Williams to a lesser extent both fit that mold.

*Cody's camp has confidence he'll be picked in the top 10

Spurs have a need for shooting so named like Sheppard, Knecht, Dillingham, Risacher and obvious fits

Mentions the possibility of the Spurs looking to add a veteran point guard like Chris Paul to mentor the team's guards if that's a position they decide to draft.
West Texan
AG
If we use the Atlanta unprotected pick to move up this year, I'm gonna be super disappointed.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

If we use the Atlanta unprotected pick to move up this year, I'm gonna be super disappointed.

There's just no way. Atlanta wants that so they don't pay Clingan #1 money
Guitarsoup
AG

Sign me up at 8
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

There's just no way. Atlanta wants that so they don't pay Clingan #1 money

What if they throw in another pick swap?
Enzo The Baker
AG

'NBA Exec' probably from the hawks. Doing everything they can to trade this pick.
jteagle
AG
Alot of talk about the Hawks taking Clingen first overall and Risacher going ahead of Sarr. Would the Rockets take Sarr if he was there? If he's there at 4 the Spurs would be crazy not to take him. Then, what do they do at 8? Wing or G?
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle said:

Alot of talk about the Hawks taking Clingen first overall and Risacher going ahead of Sarr. Would the Rockets take Sarr if he was there? If he's there at 4 the Spurs would be crazy not to take him. Then, what do they do at 8? Wing or G?

I don't know that Sarr or Clingan fits well with Jabari and Sengun.

If Sarr falls to 4, we take him and either Castle or Carter at 8
Enzo The Baker
AG
jteagle said:

I don't think Houston would go for Sarr. The fit there doesn't make sense to me with Sengun and Jabari. I do think Sarr would could theoretically better fit with the Spurs as Victor can play anywhere. But the way Collins held Victor back makes me hesitant to take him. I know Sarr is a completely different profile defensively, but the spacing to me would still be funky. I would be good with drafting him at 4, just because I think he can be so transformative for us for our defensive front line, but Castle is still my guy. I would want to move up from 8 to get Castle if we take Sarr.

But honestly, I really think Atlanta is just shaking trees to trade down. If they held onto the #1 pick, I don't see how they don't take Sarr or how Washington passes up on him at #2. It is interesting how he hasn't worked out for the Hawks yet though. That's kind of a curveball that could change things.
Guitarsoup
AG
Despite the Collins issue, I think Sarr could work. We saw how much damage Dallas did with two athletic rim runners. Sarr and Wemby would be so switchable and I think Sarr can at least develop a corner three. He shot 30% this year on t o attempts a game.

Sarr is athletic, legit 7'1 in shoes with 9'2 standing reach and nearly 7'5 wingspan. Two years of development of him and Sochan and the Wemby, Sarr, Sochan front court would be a nightmare for other teams to go up against. But would be a nightmare for us i on offense if Sochan and Sarr can't hit at 37% or better from 3
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Despite the Collins issue, I think Sarr could work. We saw how much damage Dallas did with two athletic rim runners. Sarr and Wemby would be so switchable and I think Sarr can at least develop a corner three. He shot 30% this year on t o attempts a game.

Sarr is athletic, legit 7'1 in shoes with 9'2 standing reach and nearly 7'5 wingspan. Two years of development of him and Sochan and the Wemby, Sarr, Sochan front court would be a nightmare for other teams to go up against. But would be a nightmare for us i on offense if Sochan and Sarr can't hit at 37% or better from 3

Exactly. I think the fit (long term) all depends on the ability of our 3 frontline guys to be consistent and respectable from 3. And I trust Vic and Sochan to improve. So it could work. I don't know much about Sarr's work ethic.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Exactly. I think the fit (long term) all depends on the ability of our 3 frontline guys to be consistent and respectable from 3. And I trust Vic and Sochan to improve. So it could work. I don't know much about Sarr's work ethic.

Luckily, I think we have some spies inside French Basketball.

In addition to the obvious connections in Diaw, Wemby, Cissiko, Parker, Parker's brother that coaches for the Austin Spurs, Wemby 's Mets 92 coach is the French NT coach and has been forever.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
If either of the French guys is there at 4 you have to grab them. Sarr's upside is well worth the offensive question marks to me, having two mobile giants on the backline could cause major problems for opposing offenses. Both Sarr and Wemby can switch onto guards and not look stupid, which will force teams to really think about trotting out smallball lineups against us since both of them are also great rim finishers that can punish smaller matchups. Also would make our roster tailor-made for the next available star lead ballhandler, with 2 major lob threats. If Sarr ever learns to shoot 3's at even a below average clip, I could easily see that frontcourt being the backbone of a contender.
superunknown
AG
Sarr at #4 would be pretty amazing.
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 123

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.