Victor Wembanyama could possibly become the GOAT

7,895 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Guitarsoup
coastalAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Resurfacing this. I have watched the last 5 or 6 Alabama games and I have officially moved Brandon Miller ahead of Scoot on my big board. Maybe even ahead of Wembanyama who appears to still be growing.

I don't know how the gun thing ends up, but it seems like legally nothing is happening. Hopefully that is a wake up call and he keeps it clean, because he is an impact player on both ends of the floor in the NBA.
GigEmMortis
AG
He is a very gifted player, but I want no part of him in Houston if I'm the Rockets GM. The gun incident is more than enough concern on its own, but even the way he has conducted himself in the aftermath of it all really makes him come across as an ass. And this team already has a leadership crisis as it is with Silas running the show.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
GigEmMortis said:

He is a very gifted player, but I want no part of him in Houston if I'm the Rockets GM. The gun incident is more than enough concern on its own, but even the way he has conducted himself in the aftermath of it all really makes him come across as an ass. And this team already has a leadership crisis as it is with Silas running the show.
100%. I'm usually one to chalk up dumb behavior to being young/immature, but at this point it's not worth it. With Ja Morant being the obvious use case - I'd be pissed AF as a GM if my franchise player had to enter counseling a month away from the playoffs as the second seed in the West because he's going through an apparent identity crisis.

I'd rather have a sometimes fat, sometimes injured Zion.
FTAG 2000
AG
Miller is a 20 year old college freshman. Gifted player no doubt but some challenges upstairs.

Someone will take him and try and structure a bubble around him.

AG@RICE
AG
I don't think Miller is the headcase he is being portrayed as in the media. The police aren't watching him and don't suspect him of any crime (not even accessory to a crime), but he is judged guilty of murder in the court of public opinion. He is certainly not a mature adult but his real crime was going to Alabama, where he got caught up in a circle of bad dudes. Thats really the coaches and the ADs fault for 1)allowing these guys into the program and 2) not shielding their star player BEFORE he got in trouble.

Its easy for a 19 year old kid to get caught in a weird situation their first year in college. At A&M I made friends with my dorm roommate because we shared all of the same spaces. He wasn't really the type of person I'd normally hang out with but we basically became friends by circumstance. By late sophomore year I'd met a ton of new people and I no longer hung out with him. Flash forward to my senior year, where I randomly found him at a party sweating his ass off and snorting coke by himself....not a good look.

Older ME would have ditched this guy the minute I met him, younger ME was too naive to recognize the red flags. I honestly feel like I got lucky the dude didn't drag me down when I was fish.

So if I'm a GM with the #2 pick, I'm definitely taking Miller. The kid can ball and there is no clear evidence he is a bad dude, just the media trying to sell clicks.

(Also, players drafted straight from the D-league don't understand how to play team basketball. Its becoming quite clear that college and international leagues are doing a much better job preparing guys for the NBA than the D-league)
Guitarsoup
AG
Him doing the police pat down entrance after he admits to bringing the gun to the scene of a premeditated murder is more than just a mistake of bad judgement.
Guitarsoup
AG
Player A

6'10
220lbs
31.5 mpg
22 ppg
9.5 rpg
49 FG%
39 3FG%
90 FT%

Player B

6'9
220 lbs
33 mpg
19.6 ppg
8.5 rpg
45% FG
40% 3FG
86% FT%

Now which one is Brandon Miller and which one is Keith Van Horn?
jsc8116
AG
bump...is Van horn player A? I think Wemby will be injury prone throughout a short NBA career, hope I am wrong if the Spurs end up drafting him. Would be disappointed if Spurs draft Miller, does not fit their culture one bit.
jteagle
AG
jsc8116 said:

bump...is Van horn player A? I think Wemby will be injury prone throughout a short NBA career, hope I am wrong if the Spurs end up drafting him. Would be disappointed if Spurs draft Miller, does not fit their culture one bit.
Truth is, while other NBA players of his size have had injuries in the past, that doesn't mean this kid will. He could be that once in a lifetime exception to the rule. This season he played in every game that his team played. Granted that is not an NBA season but it is worth mentioning. The challenge will be not to rush him and his development even though everyone will be wanting to see him play immediately. If they need to bring him along slowly in the beginning to prolong his career, then do it. As a Spurs fan, we need a long term investment.

Either way, it will be exciting to see what happens.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'm gonna have the massively unpopular opinion that despite Wemby's undeniable talent, I'd rather have Scoot Henderson.

I think Wemby's body will never hold up in the NBA, just like literally every single star player over 7'2 that has ever been in the NBA.

Kristaps: averaging 38 games per season
Yao Ming: Had 4 full seasons. Averaged 54 games/season
Thabeet: Was he injured or just sucked? IDK, but wasted #2 pick over Harden and Curry
Sabonis: Had tons of major leg injuries before he was able to come to the NBA and only played over 27mpg once.
Ralph Sampson: Had 3 great seasons, before injuries took over. Last 6 seasons, averaged 35 games/season, 23mpg, 9 points, 6 boards, 1 block. Averaged 50games/season for his career, out of the league after 9 seasons.
Rik Smits: Had feet nerve damage and had multiple foot, ankle, knee, and back surgeries. Career high of 7.7rpg, never averaged over 30mpg. Most surgeries in off-season, so didn't miss tons of games. Just couldn't be the primary guy he was expected to be due to limited minutes due to injuries. 1x All-Star, 0x All-NBA.
Mark Eaton: Never expected or asked to be a primary guy, but was an elite shot blocker. Career high of 9ppg, but also had 456 blocks in one seas (5.6bpg) Possibly part gorilla.
Shawn Bradley: Surprisingly didn't miss a ton of games, but did blow out his knee early in his career. Only averaged over 30mpg once. Career highs of 13ppg and 8 rpg. Sadly paralyzed now after a car hit him.
Manute Bol: averaged 62games/season. Only topped 18mpg twice.
Gheorghe Muresean: Played 3 full seasons, but never averaged 30mpg. Forgot to wear his orthopedic shoes one day while filming My Giant with Billy Crystal and it ****ed him up so much it was essentially career ending. Played 43games/season.
Zydrunas Illgaksas: Played 5 or fewer games in three seasons. Averaged 56games/season. Made two all-star games and had a good overall career. Always had nice footwork and a soft touch, but those broken bones in his feet and ankles slowed him down a lot.

Z's prime years (03-06 next to Bron) he was a 16/8 player in 31mpg.
Ralph put up 21/11 his first three seasons and made it to the Finals.
Eaton did his job of clogging the lane. His peak from 85-89 had him with 8points/9.5r/4.4b in 33mpg.
Smits prime of 94-98 had him producing 17/7 in 29mpg.
Ming was healthy his first three seasons, then his 7th season. Statistically, his best seasons were the half seasons he played in his 4th, 5th, and 6th seasons where he averaged 23/10 next to TMac. He was a 16/9 player his first three seasons when he was healthy.
Sabonis was a 14/9 player his first four years in the NBA, but that was after a bunch of major injuries and he was already in his 30s.
This season is Kristaps' best so far. Oh wow, it's a contract year. Has he been talking to Trevor Ariza? He's missed at least 15 games every year since his rookie year when he only missed 10.

I'm gonna bet on history. Zion may be the best player taken in the 2019 draft, but he has only played 114 games in 4 seasons. I'd rather have Ja Morant, who has his team 2nd in the Western Conference and has played 231 games.

And it isn't like Wemby is injury free. He played just 33 of 76 games last year. He missed the playoffs last year and a lot of the season with lower back muscle injuries. He missed ~4 months with stress fractures in his lower legs. He missed two months with a bone contusion of his shoulder blade. He missed a month with a broken finger.

Broken finger doesn't really bother me. It happens in basketball. Two months with a shoulder blade bruise? That sounds bad. But lower back muscle problems and stress fractures in lower legs for guys that are over 7' tall have to be extremely concerning. Especially when those injuries make them mis dozens of games and multiple months of basketball. Big men with back and lower leg problems seems to always have back and lower leg problems.
Never mind all that bull****, Wemby is already a top 30 NBA player all time.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.