***NBA Playoffs Thread***

40,280 Views | 446 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Iowaggie
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

MW03
AG
PJ Tucker is 57 defending like he's 27 there. Perfect defense forcing Booker left and directly into help from Giannis, and then perfect anticipation from Holiday when Tucker + Giannis forced Booker to pump and pivot. And that spacing and read on the dunk... mercy

Between the block and the oop, Giannis has two of the most memorable finals moments in recent history.

AG@RICE
AG
Hollday was playing for the steal the entire way.

Plenty of reasons to dump on coach Bud through out his career, but this might have been a brilliant strategic maneuver. Everyone knows Holiday is their best defender, but they gave PJ the assignment on the biggest play. I think they baited Booker into that play.

After the game Holiday claimed he just happened to be in the right place at the right time, but watching that video tells a different story. Holiday already had one foot in the paint before Booker even started the move and he never once looked at cp3.
MW03
AG
Agree completely. He had the passing lane sealed for where CP3 was, but he was going for the steal the whole way. Either exceptional anticipation by him as the play developed, or the book was open on Booker trying to drive and they had a plan to push him into it. Either way, just an incredible play and I'm not sure which one is more impressive (Holiday's read vs. Coach's trap)

MW03
AG
Also fantastic spacing by connaughton not to collapse on that play and leave bridges alone in the corner. That was definitely booker's first (and only read), and that takes serious discipline up 1 not to collapse on the paint and leave Bridges open.
AG@RICE
AG
Also interesting that at no point did CP3 seem interested in getting the ball from Booker. Keep in mind he was perfect (3-3) from 3pt.
Iowaggie
AG
I'm liking listening to international announcers make the call, and I think the Koreans had the best call.

Divining Rod
I'm REALLY enjoying this Bucks team- it's OLD SCHOOL basketball. Not just jacking up threes and no D, which is boring as sh&%$!

I love all the mid-range jumpers, the solid D, the overpowering inside play, the REBOUNDING, opportunistic transitions, and the occasional 3s. Middleton in particular is the consummate player- he's pretty much a "look for the best pass first" guy (which is frustrating at times as I think he;s the best shooter), but the whole team seems to play within themselves, avoiding the mano a mano plays except when necessary or a competitive advantage.

They just seem to play with a team first attitude.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
For the first time in over a decade, the Phoenix Suns are facing an elimination game in the NBA playoffs.
Down 3-2 in the NBA Finals, the Suns tip off against the Milwaukee Bucks in Game 6 on Tuesday night in an effort to bring the series back to Phoenix for Game 7. And in an effort to help show support to rally the Valley, a billboard that reads "Go Suns!" on an Arizona sunset backdrop has emerged near downtown Milwaukee.

The Suns became the first he first team in NBA history to lose a playoff game while shooting 55% from the field and 60% from three-point range.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2731374/go-suns-billboard-emerges-near-downtown-milwaukee-prior-to-game-6/?show=comments

I dug deeper into these stats. The Suns shot 35 of 68 (51.47%) from 2-point range and 13 of 19 (68.42%) from 3-point range, but they allowed the Bucks to shot 36 of 59 (61.02%) from 2-point range and 14 of 28 (50%) from 3-point range). The Bucks made 32 of 45 shots to score 79 points in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. While the Suns made 10 of 11 (90.91%) free throws, the Bucks made just 9 of 17 (52.94%) free throws. Also, the Bucks outrebounded the Suns 37 to 35, including an 11 to 8 advantage in offensive rebounds. In addition, the Bucks scored 17 points off of 9 Suns turnovers for 1.89 points per takeaway. The Suns forced 12 turnovers, but scored just 16 points off of those takeaways for 1.33 points per takeaway. For these reasons, the Suns' strong shooting performance was still not enough to win a home playoff game that would have given them a 3-2 lead.
MW03
AG
Genuine Question:

Do you write your recaps? I kind of assumed you were practicing for a sports columnist job or that it was a hobby, because your write ups read very much like a professional sports page's 2 inches about a game. Now I'm wondering if you're actually on the Suns beat already, or if you are just bringing articles you're reading here. Either way, I'm not complaining because they are very well done. Just curious more than anything.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
MW03 said:

Genuine Question:

Do you write your recaps? I kind of assumed you were practicing for a sports columnist job or that it was a hobby, because your write ups read very much like a professional sports page's 2 inches about a game. Now I'm wondering if you're actually on the Suns beat already, or if you are just bringing articles you're reading here. Either way, I'm not complaining because they are very well done. Just curious more than anything.
Yes, I write recaps after some NBA playoff games on this forum as a hobby. I came across the Suns SB nation page, and I discovered that the Suns made 55% of their field goal attempts, including 68% from the 3-point page. Then, I goggled some stats and brought the articles I read into this forum. I bring these articles into my posts to show where I got the stats from. I even came across this twitter posting:

EastSideAg2002
MW03 said:

Genuine Question:

I wont lie. I thought it was a bot the first couple of times I read his posts.
Iowaggie
AG
Divining Rod said:

I'm REALLY enjoying this Bucks team- it's OLD SCHOOL basketball. Not just jacking up threes and no D, which is boring as sh&%$!

I love all the mid-range jumpers, the solid D, the overpowering inside play, the REBOUNDING, opportunistic transitions, and the occasional 3s. Middleton in particular is the consummate player- he's pretty much a "look for the best pass first" guy (which is frustrating at times as I think he;s the best shooter), but the whole team seems to play within themselves, avoiding the mano a mano plays except when necessary or a competitive advantage.

They just seem to play with a team first attitude.

I like them because it isn't a team winning a championship based on superfriends having sleepovers together.
The Suns really are the same way, and I don't think either was built with a buyout player, nor a player whining to get off his current team to play with other top players.

And it's also why I think the (social) media culture of ranking players based on rings won is somewhat damaging the team concept. If the Nets had won the championship, would we be using KD (or Harden) winning a championship with Kyrie, Harden(or KD) and Blake as evidence for why he's better than Giannis who plays with Jrue, Middleton and Lopez? The answer is yes, it would be used.

AG@RICE
AG
I like the bucks because of Khris Middleton (obviously). He is a fine basketball player, but moreso a great individual. He flashed so much potential at A&M, I'm hoping tonight he fulfills his destiny.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Scott Foster reffing the game tonight. CP3 has lost 11 straight playoff games involving Foster and is 2-15 all-time in the playoffs in games that Foster calls.
94chem
Bucks fans went to the game dressed as Hot Wheels cars?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
dave94
AG
Jrue Holiday, 1-11. Oof.
GCP12
AG
dave94 said:

Jrue Holiday, 1-11. Oof.
He validated the trade in game 5, but he's at risk of making everyone forget about his performance and having a really long offseason if giannis doesn't finish this series off for the bucks.
dave94
AG
Playing some good defense and making his FTs at least!
GCP12
AG
True, but if the suns win this title, no one will be pointing to his defense
MW03
AG
Huge bucket there
Fat Bib Fortuna
I can't believe the Suns are hanging around. Booker looks like he hasn't gotten over the end of Game 5. Giannis is a one-man band right now. He might hang 55 on them.
GCP12
AG
Suns getting some help from the refs at the end of this quarter
MW03
AG
Booker has been getting away with **** they'd call on MJ all series.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Greek Freak: 12-21, 37 points
Rest of the Bucks: 15-44, 40 points
Cedar09
Time for Middleton to shoot lights out!
GCP12
AG
I think jrue is reading this thread
Cedar09
Portis is in Paul's head now!
MW03
AG
Watching Giannis stay with CP3 on defense is downright freaky.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I wonder what the record is for points in a Finals clincher? Giannis at 45 and counting.
GCP12
AG
Even if the suns come back to win this series, giannis should be finals mvp. He's gained my respect. Has stepped up in every game. Incredible series from him
MW03
AG
The bucks play ridiculous team defense. There isn't a player I wouldn't take on their rotation.
MW03
AG
GCP12 said:

Even if the suns come back to win this series, giannis should be finals mvp. He's gained my respect. Has stepped up in every game. Incredible series from him

If anything, Giannis is underrated somehow.
94chem
Why aren't they doing anything to get Booker free for 3? And similarly, Paul from midrange?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
TyHolden
AG
Giannis is the new face of the NBA....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.