******* 2020-2021 San Antonio Spurs ********

78,818 Views | 1262 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Enzo The Baker
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HERE WE GO

Draft is a week away and we have the highest pick since 1997. Two days later free agency period begins and then 2 weeks after that everyone starts training camp. Craziest offseason ever.

Most people think Demar opts in on his player option. There's been numerous trade rumors. This also happens to be the weirdest draft class in quite some time. You could easily get the best player in the draft at 11.
azul_rain
Juan
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
What is interesting is the Spurs have used 3 of their 10 pre-draft workouts for Avdija, Patrick Williams and Okongu, all of which are very expected to NOT be there at 11. Also did a pre-draft interview with Issac Okoro who is expected to go in the 5-ish range. Likely just their due diligence, bc they have also brought in Nesmith who is slotted around the Spurs pick and later, but you combine that with the smoke with how active they have been, the Warriors rumor (which will NEVER happen), etc, it certainly sounds like they are TRYING to move up. Would love for it to happen.
M.C. Swag
AG
This draft could be super crazy. Nobody seems to have a consensus top 5 (let alone top 10). I think the Spurs need a big but the problem is so do the Hornets, Warriors, and Wizards (all of whom pick ahead of SA).

If I was a betting man, I'd guess the Spurs are looking to move ahead of the Wizards at 9 (i don't think they have the fire power to get ahead of the hornets or warriors).
Sports-Ag
AG

LawHall88
AG
Quote:

The Spurs are up to something. League sources say they're shopping point guard Patty Mills, with teams such as the Bucks and Sixers expressing interest. A deal with Philadelphia would probably bring back Josh Richardson, league sources say. They're also looking to unload LaMarcus Aldridge and DeMar DeRozan; I've heard the Lakers have interest in acquiring DeRozan (for Kyle Kuzma and Danny Green), and as mentioned, the Warriors may want Aldridge. Any separate trade could influence their choice here. But the Spurs love Bey, who has a floor as a 3-and-D-style wing but provides upside as a scorer off the dribble. Washington forward Jaden McDaniels and Kentucky guard Tyrese Maxey have also been mentioned as targets for the Spurs.
https://nbadraft.theringer.com/#mock
Guitarsoup
AG
I think the Spurs will move both TheMarcus and DeRozan before the season kicks off.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ringer says Spurs are up to something. Also say we are trying to move Patty with The bucks and sixers having interest.

Edit: Sorry this and the DeMar news was already posted. I'm not used to seeing an active spurs thread lately.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Ringer says Spurs are up to something. Also say we are trying to move Patty with The bucks and sixers having interest.
Patty to both those teams makes a lot of sense. Both need that type of Vet leadership.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Patty to both those teams makes a lot of sense. Both need that type of Vet leadership.

We lose Patty, then we lose ours. As much as he frustrates me, he is the only championship holdover and really loves San Antonio.

KOC also reports that the Lakers are interested in demar. Not one player on that team I would take. Hard pass.
Sports-Ag
AG

Would not want those 2. Both were bad in the recent playoffs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sports-Ag said:

Would not want those 2. Both were bad in the recent playoffs.

That makes me want to throw up. Isn't Kuz entering the last year of his deal? Definitely don't want to tie up money with him.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I think the Spurs will move both TheMarcus and DeRozan before the season kicks off.

I think we move both and move up in the draft.

Never thought it be saying something like this about the Spurs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea. I agree. I only want to move them for draft picks. Whether it's this year or in the future.

Brian Wright needs to get some good stuff under his belt.
azul_rain
What a stupid trade
Sports-Ag
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

We lose Patty, then we lose ours. As much as he frustrates me, he is the only championship holdover and really loves San Antonio.

KOC also reports that the Lakers are interested in demar. Not one player on that team I would take. Hard pass.
Yeah, don't want anything with the Lakers players.

Send DeRozan to the clippers for PG13.

I love Patty, but the Spurs aren't going to compete in 21 or 22 for the title. Get the most you can for him. Hitting reset.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sports-Ag said:

I didn't even know Songaila was on our staff to begin with.
Sports-Ag
AG
Apparently he's been with the Spurs as a player development coach since 2018.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I'd be fine shipping DD to the Lakers for Kuzma and parts. I just still think there's something to Kuzmas game good coaching could unlock, and he's only 25. Not a fan of bringing back Danny Green, not bc I dislike him as a player, I just want to go all in on youth and rebuild. I just don't think the Lakers have the parts to make $$$ work but I'm sure these guys could figure it out
Guitarsoup
AG
Green's great - for a team that needs a piece to complete the rotation for a championship team.

Guys like him or PatBev are completely wasted on a rebuilding team.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Spurs could have gotten a pretty penny for Bertans if they would have held on to him.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Spurs could have gotten a pretty penny for Bertans if they would have held on to him.
Yeah, but then we wouldn't have had

** checks notes **

DeMarre Carroll.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I'm not sure that Bertans would have gotten the number of shots and minutes in SA. He went from 6 FGA/game to over 11 with his move to Washington. He'd probably still be an unknown because Pop was still trying to win and play a semblance of defense.

Its too bad though, that dude can really shoot. I was sad to see him go. It will be interesting to see who goes after him now that he's a RFA.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I'm not sure that Bertans would have gotten the number of shots and minutes in SA. He went from 6 FGA/game to over 11 with his move to Washington. He'd probably still be an unknown because Pop was still trying to win and play a semblance of defense.

Its too bad though, that dude can really shoot. I was sad to see him go. It will be interesting to see who goes after him now that he's a RFA.

That's a good point about his volume. I think he's going to be one of the few free agents that gets a pay day. I bet he gets $15MM+ per year. Lots of teams reportedly interested. Spurs likely wouldn't have been able to keep him. Only so mediocre guys you can give good sized contracts to. But we could have for sure flipped in a s&t for a 1st rounder (assuming he elevated his game in SA). Unlike the other players we have now.
Sports-Ag
AG
Ag Natural
AG
Interesting lineup. Trey Lyles? Is he in the long term plans for this team?
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

Interesting lineup. Trey Lyles? Is he in the long term plans for this team?

I think it has more to do with the fact he's in the plans for next year. Given all the rumors we're hearing, a lot of the vets we have could be on the move.
West Texan
AG
Also, huge fan of the Fiesta jerseys.
azul_rain
LETS ****ING GO
Enzo The Baker
AG
I like that it's all the young guns minus Forbes. Patty/Rudy/DeRozan/LMA trades and Samanic bust confirmed.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Samanic bust confirmed.

That's a little premature.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I will be surprised if he is still in the NBA in three years.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Maybe, but declaring a kid that we knew was going to be a project a bust after one shortened G League season puts you in mookie territory.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Maybe, but declaring a kid that we knew was going to be a project a bust after one shortened G League season puts you in mookie territory.

To me it's a bust if he doesn't pan out because there were more sure fire options we could have taken. I saw him play in Austin. Terrible body language. He has zero edge and doesn't do one thing particularly well. I think he went gangbusters in one draft workout for the spurs so we decided to take a swing. Maybe bust isn't the right word for some but a disappointment for sure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.