Season might be over...

6,964 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Frok
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
awinlonghorn said:

Please post all the times that trump has criticized xi...

Know how I know when you're out of your lane?
awinlonghorn
you dont know #$$.
Trucker 96
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/511468-trump-on-frayed-relationship-with-chinas-xi-i-havent-spoken-to-him-in
Trucker 96
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/04/09/trumps-unprecedented-scolding-of-vladimir-putin/%3foutputType=amp
Trucker 96
awinlonghorn said:

you dont know #$$.

Go back to bonghorns or wherever so you and your sip biddies can keep jerking each other off in fantasyland. We live on reality here.
Mike Elko
AG
Reading comprehension. Learn it.
heavens11
AG
Joe Cole said:

I keep asking myself with all of these protests, what is the end game ? What is the point where they say , "yes, we are satisfied with the changes made"

answer - never

This is how silly some of this is. John Lopez (Aggie long time sports radio personality in Houston) was saying essentially that the fact that "we" are al talking about this stuff is the end game. He said it multiple times like the players have accomplished their objective.

I just scratched my head, changed the station and moved on with my day
awinlonghorn
every arena in the nba is now a voting location. that is change.
cone
AG
so this is just a gotv deal

mission accomplished banner
Pumpkinhead
AG
awinlonghorn
so getting black people to vote is now dumb? that is a fundamental right as a citizen.
cone
AG
so they just got granted the right?

another polling place conveniently located where black people usually live? the Toyota center? the AAC?

this is a hilarious fig leaf and about the cheapest get out of jail card they could come up with. whoever thought it up is a genius. respect.
Pumpkinhead
AG
cone said:

so this is just a gotv deal

mission accomplished banner
Civil rights movement has been and always will be trying to influence or force action at the local, state, and/or federal government levels. The only thing new here is athletes (and thus the sports leagues and ownerships themselves) are now more and more getting actively involved in that process.

The NBA has the largest percentage of black players (about 75%) of any sports league, and there was a study done in the past year that showed the NBA's fan base skews to the left ('liberal') more than any other sport fanbase. So it was expected that you'd see the NBA being at the forefront in this particular issue.

I expect the NBA's fan base will continue to skew more and more to those who have politically left viewpoints, as conservative fans drop out who don't like the political activism, but are then replaced by new more liberal/moderate fans who are not bothered by it (are not hyper sensitive to such things), or are even drawn to watch the sport more because of it.
awinlonghorn
And if you think this is stopping at the NBA, i have ocean front property in dallas to sell you.

The vast majority of college football teams are black.

The vast majority of NFL teams are black.

They see what's happening with the NBA and will realize they hold the power.

Unless you want an all white aggie football team, things are going to change.
cone
AG
wait

what

why don't you spell out what you mean exactly

our forms of entertainment are going to hold themselves hostage until we do better?

or do you mean something else entirely?
cone
AG
but that's besides the point which is there's another geographic polling location, generally in the downtown high rent urban areas

I mean I'm all for more places to vote, but I didn't realize that was what the proposed boycott was about
cone
AG
I think the nuance we're looking for is that an arena polling location helps mitigate potential spread during a pandemic

although the queue to get in the place and through security is going to be problematic

but we can still lean into the H&S angle. it's current and plausible.
Pumpkinhead
AG
cone said:

but that's besides the point which is there's another geographic polling location, generally in the downtown high rent urban areas

I mean I'm all for more places to vote, but I didn't realize that was what the proposed boycott was about
If you read about how the boycott happened, it was something that organically, spontaneously happened. There wasn't really any thought out plan beforehand. The Bucks went into the locker room a few hours before their game vs. Orlando intending to play. Players were walking in and out of the locker room in uniform. Orlando Magic players were practicing on the courts. Then discussions between the players started taking place and that gradually led to a decision not to play shortly before the game.

After the boycott happened, and the NBA supported that and followed suit postponing all games, they entered a 'Now What?' phase. Which you are still seeing them try to work through and figure out on the fly.

awinlonghorn
what i mean is the NBA is laying out a blue print for how other athletes will become more active on issues they care about.

its also clear that given that vast majority of MAJOR professional athletes are black, they will start to voice their power more to drive change. You may disagree with the change.

What I am saying is we are not done with athlete activism. We are at the beginning.
cone
AG
ie

what's a solvable problem at low cost?

I hear you. that's the name of the game in business.
cone
AG
wouldn't the beginning be somewhere around Muhammad Ali?

Or Jackie Robinson?

Or my favorite Curt Flood?
awinlonghorn
individually yes.

as an entire team of both black and white athletes, no.
Frok
AG
awinlonghorn said:

what i mean is the NBA is laying out a blue print for how other athletes will become more active on issues they care about.

its also clear that given that vast majority of MAJOR professional athletes are black, they will start to voice their power more to drive change. You may disagree with the change.

What I am saying is we are not done with athlete activism. We are at the beginning.

Man I sure hope not.

I don't talk politics at work because I know it offends, I wish they would do the same. Basketball is supposed to be fun.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.