Another reason not to watch the NBA

5,676 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
HotardAg07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The games have been great and the bubble has been a wild success. Literally shocked how good the basketball had been and love how wide open the NBA playoffs is I couldn't tell you who is going to win the championship with any certainty.

Skipping a few days of games is not a big deal and won't make a big impact, honestly. Most of the people outraged by this move wouldn't have watched the game in the first place.

The league is mostly Black people and it seems only fair that they should be allowed to speak to the issues that mean something to them.

The best way I've heard it explored is this many Black nba players live with an enormous amount of survivors guilt. They escaped the poverty they grew up in a meh dai became wildly rich. However for every one of them they left behind hundreds of Black men just like themselves, sometimes just as talented, who suffer from poverty, drugs, crime and even death at the heart of the police. So a lot of the players strongly feel like they owe something back to the people they came from. And when they see videos of black people being beat up or shot by police, it brings up strong feelings of hopelessness and inadequacy of wondering if they've done enough. Wondering if they've turned their back on their roots by living in this lavish lifestyle they were lucky enough to lead.

The other thing to realize is that Black NBA players do get mistreated by law enforcement like other Black people. Thabo Sefolosha has his leg broken by a severe beating with a baton by a police officer. Sterling Brown was beaten and tazed over what should have just been a parking ticket notable because it happened while he was on the Milwaukee Bucks!

Of course there's a whole democrat vs republican angle to all this **** and that's unfortunate because it doesn't need to be. If you stop watching anything, stop watching cable news. That is the real atrocity in thus country. Being purposefully manipulated and lied to every day by both sides through those mediums just to lather you up into a fury so you watch more tv and give them more ratings. It's no different than the weathermen during a hurricane foaming at the mouth to describe the impending deadliness of an upcoming storm. That is their whole function and way of life.

The basketball players are really just trying to make the world a better place. It's possible they're wrong about some basic facts or about their tactics, but their heart is in the right place. That matters.
ATM9000
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Mr. White said:

ATM9000 said:

Bucketrunner said:

But are people thinking about their "issues," or just the fact that they're acting like spoiled brats?

The boycott was a top headline across basically every news source in the United States in not globally. Yes... I think they've achieved what they were after. Everybody is talking about the boycott and more importantly why... it is a priority in everyone's minds.

And what exactly was spoiled bratty about what they did? The riots and such? Yes spoiled brats. Quiet protest such as boycotting? Not spoiled brats.
Hopefully, it showed that the NBA players boycotted out of ignorance of the situation

Not one single NBA player or talking sports head has mentioned that the idiot that was shot 7 times had a knife in his car. None of them have mentioned that he wasn't being compliant. Its been nothing but "white cops are evil" and "black people are treated so unfairly"

Its disgusting

If that's all you've gathered from all of this, I don't know what to say. This incident reeks of lack of training, generally sloppy treatment of an escalating situation And zero empathy. That's what criminal justice reform is about. This incident is yet another in a line of incidents now that is evidence that there are massive gaps in how our policing works. The protest is about changes in our policing and reforming gaps in accountability, not 'white cops are evil' and 'black people are treated so unfairly'.
Slamn Sharpe
ATM9000 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Mr. White said:

ATM9000 said:

Bucketrunner said:

But are people thinking about their "issues," or just the fact that they're acting like spoiled brats?

The boycott was a top headline across basically every news source in the United States in not globally. Yes... I think they've achieved what they were after. Everybody is talking about the boycott and more importantly why... it is a priority in everyone's minds.

And what exactly was spoiled bratty about what they did? The riots and such? Yes spoiled brats. Quiet protest such as boycotting? Not spoiled brats.
Hopefully, it showed that the NBA players boycotted out of ignorance of the situation

Not one single NBA player or talking sports head has mentioned that the idiot that was shot 7 times had a knife in his car. None of them have mentioned that he wasn't being compliant. Its been nothing but "white cops are evil" and "black people are treated so unfairly"

Its disgusting

If that's all you've gathered from all of this, I don't know what to say. This incident reeks of lack of training, generally sloppy treatment of an escalating situation And zero empathy. That's what criminal justice reform is about. This incident is yet another in a line of incidents now that is evidence that there are massive gaps in how our policing works. The protest is about changes in our policing and reforming gaps in accountability, not 'white cops are evil' and 'black people are treated so unfairly'.

You realize this David Blake guy had a history of violence?
ATM9000
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

ATM9000 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Mr. White said:

ATM9000 said:

Bucketrunner said:

Its disgusting

K. This isn't the board to discuss this, but a history of violence maybe puts him behind bars (if he's convicted of a violent crime) but it doesn't give a cop license to fire on him point blank when he's not an imminent threat in the moment to the cops nor anybody else.
Slamn Sharpe
ATM9000 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

ATM9000 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Mr. White said:

ATM9000 said:

Bucketrunner said:

Its disgusting

K. This isn't the board to discuss this, but a history of violence maybe puts him behind bars (if he's convicted of a violent crime) but it doesn't give a cop license to fire on him point blank when he's not an imminent threat in the moment to the cops nor anybody else.

Actually it is and thats the point. They rolled up from a call on a guy that had earlier sexually assaulted his ex gf, he had a history of violence. He told them he had a weapon, he wasn't compliant, and it was preceived that he was scrambling to get to his weapon. Go read the reports on the situation!!!

Should they have played rock, paper, scissors to see if he was allowed to get his knife first?
94chem
Pumpkinhead said:

Whether or not I agree with all the NBA player positions is separate to me than whether I'm okay with their approach. What they have been doing is a peaceful form of trying to enact change that they believe in. If it ultimately hurts their business because of loss of fans due to them getting a lot more politically involved, that is the price they chose to pay. But I don't have any inherent problem with them making that choice, nor have a problem with any American out there making such a choice. I only have a problem with people who riot and loot and resort to violence.

I felt the same way in 1994 when MLB cancelled the season to protest the Rwandan genocide.
Mr. White
ATM9000 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

ATM9000 said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

Mr. White said:

ATM9000 said:

Bucketrunner said:

Its disgusting

It certainly is the correct board. NBA players made that happen.
Mr. White
Law Hall 69-72
AG
If that's all you know about knives, then you should stay out of the kitchen.
monarch
S
Real tough guy...wants to burn the WH down? What a Richard head; get a job punk!
Peace for Ukraine!
M.C. Swag
AG
HotardAg07 said:

The games have been great and the bubble has been a wild success. Literally shocked how good the basketball had been and love how wide open the NBA playoffs is I couldn't tell you who is going to win the championship with any certainty.

Skipping a few days of games is not a big deal and won't make a big impact, honestly. Most of the people outraged by this move wouldn't have watched the game in the first place.

The league is mostly Black people and it seems only fair that they should be allowed to speak to the issues that mean something to them.

The best way I've heard it explored is this many Black nba players live with an enormous amount of survivors guilt. They escaped the poverty they grew up in a meh dai became wildly rich. However for every one of them they left behind hundreds of Black men just like themselves, sometimes just as talented, who suffer from poverty, drugs, crime and even death at the heart of the police. So a lot of the players strongly feel like they owe something back to the people they came from. And when they see videos of black people being beat up or shot by police, it brings up strong feelings of hopelessness and inadequacy of wondering if they've done enough. Wondering if they've turned their back on their roots by living in this lavish lifestyle they were lucky enough to lead.

The other thing to realize is that Black NBA players do get mistreated by law enforcement like other Black people. Thabo Sefolosha has his leg broken by a severe beating with a baton by a police officer. Sterling Brown was beaten and tazed over what should have just been a parking ticket notable because it happened while he was on the Milwaukee Bucks!

Of course there's a whole democrat vs republican angle to all this **** and that's unfortunate because it doesn't need to be. If you stop watching anything, stop watching cable news. That is the real atrocity in thus country. Being purposefully manipulated and lied to every day by both sides through those mediums just to lather you up into a fury so you watch more tv and give them more ratings. It's no different than the weathermen during a hurricane foaming at the mouth to describe the impending deadliness of an upcoming storm. That is their whole function and way of life.

The basketball players are really just trying to make the world a better place. It's possible they're wrong about some basic facts or about their tactics, but their heart is in the right place. That matters.
this is wonderfully stated.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Mr. White said:

What does this have to do with the NBA? The Wizards are terrible.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.