Another reason not to watch the NBA

5,677 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
First Milwaukee postpones their game vs Orlando now the NBA says all games tonight are postponed.

Sorry...not sorry.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Have you ever posted something on this board that is actually about the game of basketball?
monarch
S
On this specific board probably no. On the men's BB board, yep; I'm a season ticket holder and go to a chunk of their games. This is an NBA board, correct? That's why I posted what I did.
Saint Pablo
Do you ever go to tu's board to tell them how hard you aren't going to watch them?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
monarch said:

On this specific board probably no. On the men's BB board, yep; I'm a season ticket holder and go to a chunk of their games. This is an NBA board, correct? That's why I posted what I did.

Just seems like your pro sports posts are never really about sports.
Slamn Sharpe
I started thinking about 30 mins ago that I don't know how much more of this crap I can take before I shut down all sports. Is there a sport on TV that's not completely engulfed in this BLM nonsense?

Sports and politics needs to separate themselves
gigem1223
After watching Doc Rivers post game presser last night, that was it for me. Not watching another game. Dude literally blamed Republicans for this crap.
Mike Elko
AG
Soccer. Season just ended. Season about to start again.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

I started thinking about 30 mins ago that I don't know how much more of this crap I can take before I shut down all sports. Is there a sport on TV that's not completely engulfed in this BLM nonsense?

When have politics and anything separated themselves. This is America.
Slamn Sharpe
Head Ninja In Charge said:

McDadeTXAggie said:

When have politics and anything separated themselves. This is America.

Yeah and this is probably doing more bad than good. Plenty of people are being turned off by all of this. As Stephen A. Smith just said, all parties involved in this boycott are losing money. From the owners, networks, down to the players... they're losing money. What good is coming from this? Awareness? Laugh/cry
TXAggie2011
AG
Sports and politics, around the world, have always intersected.
slimjimsims
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

The Ocho!
Mike Elko
AG
The WNBA also canceled their games tonight. The horror!!!
Saint Pablo
Don't know how I'm going to make it without the WNBA
monarch
S
Like others have said, dont mix sports and politics; I watch games to get away from daily BS.

Over time, I have become sick of pro sports and all the BS that goes on in them. The NBA lost me a long, long time ago, the NFL is gradually losing me and to be honest, I really dont miss MLB anymore either...
Dont like the players who father multiple kids from multiple women and think it is no big deal; that bugs my ass.
Dont like players who are held up as heroes and are idolized by children for all the wrong reasons.
Dont like players who *itch about all the $$$ they supposedly dont make;
Dont like the fact that players think it is their right to use their job as a place to spout their BS beliefs which in most cases are contrary to the beliefs of most people in this country; dont like that at all.
Dont like players who want to wear political messages on their unis.
Dont like the price structure that people have to pay to go watch their teams play. F that.
Dont like union contracts that allow players to do drugs and only be tested at certain times a year and be told in advance what day they are going to be tested on.

Dont have time to go on. I have more constructive stuff to do.

AA

TexAg1987
AustinAg2012 said:

The WNBA also canceled their games tonight. The horror!!!

How can you tell?
6-4-3
AG
I am an independent politically and have watched almost every game since the Bubble League began while working from home and managing a payroll during COVID. I didn't care about the BLM paint all over the court. I just watched. I have probably watched 50% of all playoff games since they started in Orlando. Here is the thing about what happened today:

1. Today was extremely unprofessional. It would have meant so much more had those who turned down a paycheck been among a working class of those who couldn't afford to miss a paycheck. These guys are like Hollywood actors who are living in a fantasy land. Good riddance.

2. For centuries, academics and blacks and liberal whites have correctly argued that there are clear injustices in our system of law enforcement and justice. But can folks AT LEAST let all facts of an incident be fully vetted before making claims AND RUINING lives and businesses including minority owned businesses? Have we not learned from the hundreds of years of pre judging criminal episodes than to start burning houses and businesses for effect?

3. Oh Doc Rivers how convenient!!! Did Ferguson not happen during an Obama term of office? Also, hasn't Minn and Wis and other tragedies recently happened in Dem controlled cities?
Buford T. Justice
AG
The "boycott" will do far more harm than good for the reputation and perception of the NBA and the players. The "boycott" will do absolutely nothing to improvise the situation between young(ish) black men and the police. It will only cause further galvanization of the two sides.
Cedar09
It's a bunch of crap! If the other team shows up to play and you don't. You take the L and not get paid! LeBron needs to shut his face too!
TxAgswin
AG
I wonder if Orlando could have taken a forfeit W. Asking for a friend.
ATM9000
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

The "boycott" will do far more harm than good for the reputation and perception of the NBA and the players. The "boycott" will do absolutely nothing to improvise the situation between young(ish) black men and the police. It will only cause further galvanization of the two sides.

I dunno about that. There's no other real new entertainment or things to do right now. Ultimately it is probably costing the TV networks, sponsors and team owners a hell of a lot more than the players when they do something like this. I don't think this alone is going to spur widespread change, but when these things start to add up... it gets really really hard to ignore.

The point of a protest is absolutely to galvanize too. Galvanizing is the only way you are going to spur change. Doesn't matter if the change is a massive sweeping policy or concept or just a personal divorce or getting married or whatever. Change only happens when people are on their toes and actively thinking about things and topics are at the forefront of their minds.
Bucketrunner
But are people thinking about their "issues," or just the fact that they're acting like spoiled brats?
ATM9000
AG
Bucketrunner said:

But are people thinking about their "issues," or just the fact that they're acting like spoiled brats?

The boycott was a top headline across basically every news source in the United States in not globally. Yes... I think they've achieved what they were after. Everybody is talking about the boycott and more importantly why... it is a priority in everyone's minds.

And what exactly was spoiled bratty about what they did? The riots and such? Yes spoiled brats. Quiet protest such as boycotting? Not spoiled brats.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
McDadeTXAggie said:

Golf!
RadAg14
AG
"Dont have time to go on. I have more constructive stuff to do."
Onceaggie2.0
They just mad because they are getting clowned by a white guy they can't stand this.
Mr. White
ATM9000 said:

Bucketrunner said:

The boycott was a top headline across basically every news source in the United States in not globally. Yes... I think they've achieved what they were after. Everybody is talking about the boycott and more importantly why... it is a priority in everyone's minds.

And what exactly was spoiled bratty about what they did? The riots and such? Yes spoiled brats. Quiet protest such as boycotting? Not spoiled brats.
Hopefully, it showed that the NBA players boycotted out of ignorance of the situation
Mr. White
MuckRaker96 said:

Have you ever posted something on this board that is actually about the game of basketball?
Something isn't clicking in your noggin.

THE NBA PLAYERS WALKED OUT ON THEIR GAMES. WHERE ELSE WOULD THAT BE POSTED?

Sorry that OP didn't post a triangle offense thread.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Whether or not I agree with all the NBA player positions is separate to me than whether I'm okay with their approach. What they have been doing is a peaceful form of trying to enact change that they believe in. If it ultimately hurts their business because of loss of fans due to them getting a lot more politically involved, that is the price they chose to pay. But I don't have any inherent problem with them making that choice, nor have a problem with any American out there making such a choice. I only have a problem with people who riot and loot and resort to violence.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Mr. White said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Something isn't clicking in your noggin.

THE NBA PLAYERS WALKED OUT ON THEIR GAMES. WHERE ELSE WOULD THAT BE POSTED?

Sorry that OP didn't post a triangle offense thread.
I assumed he would put it in politics with his other 10 million "i hate sports" posts.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
FPS_Dough said:

They just mad because they are getting clowned by a white guy they can't stand this.
Trump?
monarch
S
I assumed he would put it in politics with his other 10 million "i hate sports" posts.

You kidding my ass or what? I don't hate sports; I hate the idiotic things that the athletes that play those sports do. That's what I hate. If I hated sports, my wife and I wouldn't fly out of town 2-3 times a year to watch the Astros play plus maybe go to 12-15 home games a year. Of course that isn't happening this year. I don't go to Texans games but I watch all the games on TV; of course not this year. Rockets? Screw 'em; no interest. HS football- Hell yes; High school CC & Track- hell yes; I even time meets and call meets; TAMU Stuff? Hell yes; 10-11 games a year for football, almost all home basketball and a few away games too. EPL soccer? hell yes; Trying to set up a plan to go to London next year and stay for 14/15 days and catch as many games as possible. As I said earlier, I don't hate sports, I hate the idiotic things that the athletes who play those sports do. Screw the NBA, I'm at the point of saying screw the NFL and I'm almost close to saying screw the MLB. Not the sport but the people who play the sport.
Peace for Ukraine!
Pigeon88
AG
The NBA sucks. Enough said.
Kozmozag
black NBA players are discriminating against the white European players. Treating them like second class.
Slamn Sharpe
Mr. White said:

ATM9000 said:

Bucketrunner said:

Hopefully, it showed that the NBA players boycotted out of ignorance of the situation

Not one single NBA player or talking sports head has mentioned that the idiot that was shot 7 times had a knife in his car. None of them have mentioned that he wasn't being compliant. Its been nothing but "white cops are evil" and "black people are treated so unfairly"

Its disgusting
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.