NBA and Politics

4,741 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 500,000ags
Dwide Schrude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love basketball, especially NBA basketball, but am I the only one that's getting tired of the virtue signaling and hypocrisy of the organization and its constituents?

The NBA has been back for only a few days but I can't be the only "level headed" person (read: not a Forum 16 fanatic) that has already grown sick of it, can I?

Pregame: BLM talk, images of protests, talk of which players are donating to which Black businesses

Game: BLM image plastered on the court, announcers talking about what statement LeBron was wearing on his way in (this could be a whole separate rant), BLM commercials, "woke" statements on jerseys

Postgame: same as pregame, add coach and player Q&A about the same thing

I don't have a problem with BLM the sentiment, I have a problem with a movement that makes fundamentally incorrect arguments that ultimately do nothing but further add to the divide in the country. I have a problem with just wanting to unwind and watch a basketball game but not being able do that anymore. I have a problem with the NBA picking and choosing which issues to stand behind as long as it doesn't hurt their bottom line. I have a problem with current and former players endorsing Antisemites with no repercussions. I have a problem with the idea that you're either "with us or against us". It's over the top.

I just want to watch a game of basketball, not be told what to think.
PatAg
AG
This is how its been for a while. I suggest just ignoring it if you want to watch basketball.

Also, don't watch pregame or postgame anyways.
True Anomaly
AG
I'm alright with it. Doesn't seem to change my enjoyment of watching the game
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If I were a white player I would ask for a jersey that says "the man" on the back
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

If I were a white player I would ask for a jersey that says "the man" on the back
fat girlfriend
I'm a huge Lebron fan, but he's the worst example of an NBA that sells its soul to the communist party in China, scolding and punishing NBA executives who speak out about the injustices committed by China, while simultaneously catering to Marxist organizations in this country. "Group economics" is actually one of the approved Jersey messages!

It's absurd. I'm not a forum 16 guy either, and I'm not a Trump voter, but I won't watch the NBA right now.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
I just don't appreciate being lectured on equality and privilege by guys who get paid more in a year that I'll make in a lifetime to play a game, when they were born with natural abilities and physical traits that 99.99% of the population don't have.
ATM9000
AG
PermianBasinAggie said:

I just don't appreciate being lectured on equality and privilege by guys who get paid more in a year that I'll make in a lifetime to play a game, when they were born with natural abilities and physical traits that 99.99% of the population don't have.

Just curious, how do you feel about getting lectured to about how just trickle down economics are you politicians who were born into trust funds that 99.99% of us will never have?
fat girlfriend
ATM9000 said:

PermianBasinAggie said:

Just curious, how do you feel about getting lectured to about how just trickle down economics are you politicians who were born into trust funds that 99.99% of us will never have?
Which politician do you have in mind? Bushes?
PatAg
AG
PermianBasinAggie said:

You only get lectured to if you listen to them or watch the pregame. It's not hard to ignore it and just enjoy the game.
ATM9000
AG
fat girlfriend said:

ATM9000 said:

PermianBasinAggie said:

Politicians in general and also talking heads on news.

I always find it funny when people get all huffy about people who make more money than them or are rich preach about some things, but are cool with others.

Maybe don't be coward and say you don't like hearing the message itself instead of hiding behind how much people make?
AggieOO
ATM9000 said:

fat girlfriend said:

ATM9000 said:

PermianBasinAggie said:

I always find it funny when people get all huffy about people who make more money than them or are rich preach about some things, but are cool with others.

Maybe don't be coward and say you don't like hearing the message itself instead of hiding behind how much people make?
not to mention that many of the NBA players came from early lives where they lived in inequalities on a daily basis. Maybe, just maybe, they want to see change for the types of people they grew up around who weren't lucky enough to be born with the same natural abilities.
ATM9000
AG
AggieOO said:

ATM9000 said:

fat girlfriend said:

ATM9000 said:

PermianBasinAggie said:

not to mention that many of the NBA players came from early lives where they lived in inequalities on a daily basis. Maybe, just maybe, they want to see change for the types of people they grew up around who weren't lucky enough to be born with the same natural abilities.

I honestly don't care if people are offended, want to listen to the comments or just turn them off. I've watched and enjoyed it and it's not bothered me one bit.

I just get annoyed when people take the whole shut up and dribble or qualify the fact that they just don't like the message by pointing to something like status or wealth. Just man up and say you don't like the message... don't hide behind other stuff.
fat girlfriend

Quote:

I'm sure this is true. I just wish they had eyes to see the massive abuses of the communist system to which they, through their actions, are giving deference. Ain't no injustice like Marxist injustice.
500,000ags
AG
I listened to my father drone on for about 3-4 minutes about the NBA and BLM. There is a simple solution...don't watch. The NBA has drawn a line in the sand, and there is no mixed messaging anymore. If you want to enjoy professional basketball this post-season, you will also have to endure their posturing.
Dan Scott
AG
Noticed they don't broadcast the national anthem anymore. Not much mention on TNT anymore but ABC is a joke. Instead of a trailer to hype a game, they play the same BLM intro and then the commentators first words are how this is a must win game.

I miss the NBA on NBC.
fightinags2013
AG
I've seen them broadcast the anthem multiple times, especially in the early games
Seven Costanza
AG
Quote:

I just get annoyed when people take the whole shut up and dribble or qualify the fact that they just don't like the message by pointing to something like status or wealth. Just man up and say you don't like the message... don't hide behind other stuff.

I can honestly say that I would be annoyed with any political messages on either end of the spectrum in this situation. The players and the league have every right to express their views and support whatever they want, but I would rather just see sports stay largely apolitical.
Reno Hightower
The Narcissist Basketball Association
Frok
AG
500,000ags said:

I listened to my father drone on for about 3-4 minutes about the NBA and BLM. There is a simple solution...don't watch. The NBA has drawn a line in the sand, and there is no mixed messaging anymore. If you want to enjoy professional basketball this post-season, you will also have to endure their posturing.

From what I gather most have simply stopped watching. I think I am the only one I know that will tune in from time to time.
rgleml
AG
There was an article today on yahoo sports that blamed reduced viewership of the NBA on all of the professional sports playing at the same time. It had nothing to do with athletes, coaches etc. spouting their political views.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I applaud the NBA for their execution of the playoffs. But it's just a completely different product without fans. I think it has more to do with that and the other sports going on concurrently than anything else.
GrayMatter
AG
rgleml said:

There was an article today on yahoo sports that blamed reduced viewership of the NBA on all of the professional sports playing at the same time. It had nothing to do with athletes, coaches etc. spouting their political views.
it's more than just that. Watching sports in general has declined across the board. People are streaming different types of content this day in age.
Matsui
AG
Agreed.
Bonfired
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I applaud the NBA for their execution of the playoffs. But it's just a completely different product without fans. I think it has more to do with that and the other sports going on concurrently than anything else.

Agree with all of this. NBA playoffs usually goes up against the beginning of baseball season and no NFL, and that calendar is a lot different now. Even on TV, the game (all of them, not just the NBA) without genuine fan reaction is just odd...feels like I'm watching practice with some of the stadiums not having any fans.
awinlonghorn
somehow sean hannity and tucker carlson and laura ingraham are allowed to spew BS and tell MILLIONS of people every night what to think, but when NBA players do it, its suddenly hypocrisy?

Hannity, Carlson, Ingraham, Rush, and on and on make just as much as NBA players but yet somehow the NBA players who should shut up and dribble.

The NBA knows is audience. If you don't like their politics, don't watch.

Literally there is a thread every other day about the NBA. For an org that people dont care about, they sure do have a lot of head space
CoppellAg93
AG
awinlonghorn said:

somehow sean hannity and tucker carlson and laura ingraham are allowed to spew BS and tell MILLIONS of people every night what to think, but when NBA players do it, its suddenly hypocrisy?

Hannity, Carlson, Ingraham, Rush, and on and on make just as much as NBA players but yet somehow the NBA players who should shut up and dribble.

The NBA knows is audience. If you don't like their politics, don't watch.

Literally there is a thread every other day about the NBA. For an org that people dont care about, they sure do have a lot of head space
Really?

Hannity etc. are paid for a living to give their opinions on a news network and people choose or choose not to watch their programming.

NBA players are paid for a living to play basketball - people tune it to watch them play a sport, not listen to their political opinions.

Is the difference that hard to comprehend ???
awinlonghorn
and fyi, 90% of the fortune 500 does business in china. vast majority of them have also taken a stand on social justices.

Everything you buy in the market today - Chips, Soda, Oatmeal, Cereal, Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, iPhones, Android, Music, Movies, Cars. Literally every company you do "business" with has a significant presence in China and yet no outrage there.
awinlonghorn
Basketball is a form of entertainment. You have a choice to tune into that entertainment just like watching an opinion show.

And by your logic, its okay for the pre-game, halftime and post game shows to be political but not the players?

Parent corp of Fox News does business in China, no outrage there. Trump does business in China, no outrage there.

Defense companies selling weapons to SA, Turkey and other countries with poor human rights records. No outage there.

CoppellAg93
AG
awinlonghorn said:

And by your logic, its okay for the pre-game, halftime and post game shows to be political but not the players?

No. I don't want any politics in my sports programming, just like I don't want any sports in my political programming. I couldn't care less what Lebron thinks about politics the same way I don't care what Hannity things about sports. I tune it to watch people do what they are paid to do, and nothing more.
awinlonghorn
Why do you care about your toothpase, chips, soda, phone, computer, cereal, toilet paper, car, clothes all taking a stand on politics? Why arent you boycotting them? They spend way more on their wokeness than the NBA. Why arent you boycotting Walmart, Amazon, Target?
CoppellAg93
AG
awinlonghorn said:

Why do you care about your toothpase, chips, soda, phone, computer, cereal, toilet paper, car, clothes all taking a stand on politics? Why arent you boycotting them? They spend way more on their wokeness than the NBA. Why arent you boycotting Walmart, Amazon, Target?
I never said I was boycotting anything.
500,000ags
AG
Hannity and Carlson are more entertainment than news. They come on at prime time ffs.
Iowaggie
AG
All networks are now.

They should just take a lesson from Vince McMahon when he was trying to avoid regulation of pro wrestling and used the phrase "sports entertainment" to describe his company.

It's just News Entertainment.
Stone44
AG
500,000ags said:

Hannity and Carlson are more entertainment than news. They come on at prime time ffs.
Carlson had better ratings then the NBA championship game. It was the worst rated game in history. Less than 5 million watched. Last season was considered bad and it drew 11 million. No one watched this crap and it's not gonna get better. Lebron can't draw flies.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.