The Last Dance - ESPN 10-part series coming in June

17,727 Views | 141 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cappo
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
7 years for 18 million, I'd be mad too. Just checked and MJ's inflation-adjusted salary would have been ~$55 million for the season. He was obviously worth it, but that gap is hilarious.

Anyways, I still don't feel too bad for Scottie. He got paid when he came to the Rockets and plenty more after he left.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Jordan only got paid big time his last two seasons with the Bulls. NBA contract up until that time were pretty low across the board.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Junkhead said:

Jordan only got paid big time his last two seasons with the Bulls. NBA contract up until that time were pretty low across the board.
Correct. Everyone got paid after that season. I just remember Pippen's contract and Kevin Garnett's contract after that lockout. Pippen because I really didn't like him as a player, especially when he was in Houston.
Cuterebra
AG
Knowing Pippen's family backstory explains his mindset early in his career. If you see two immediate family members get paralyzed and wheelchair bound, you might appreciate having a long term deal you don't have to negotiate every year. Take what you can since tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

He made some questionable choices, but I was left sympathetic to him after Ep 1&2.
hph6203
AG
Junkhead said:

https://hoopshype.com/player/michael-jordan/salary/

He made 21.5 mil for the 6 years previous to the final 2 seasons. Last two years he made bank.
Seven Costanza
AG
I had forgotten that James Worthy was only a couple of years ahead of Jordan. He seemed so old to me in the 1991 Finals at the time (the goggles and broken down knees probably didn't help that perception).
Buford T. Justice
AG
MJ sure drank a lot of bourbon during the interview!
His eyes look terrible.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

MJ sure drank a lot of bourbon during the interview!
His eyes look terrible.

The glass looked full every time I checked.
Cuterebra
AG
Except when it was half full. Then it was full again.
hph6203
AG
You don't want to see what happens to the person who allows it to get below half full.
Dan Scott
AG
Scottie Pippen sat out the last second of a playoff game because he wasn't getting the ball, selfishly postponed surgery potentially screwing up the last season with team together and then when he came to Houston he was a punk ass *****.
Pumpkinhead
AG
Glad this documentary gives younger generations who didn't live through the Michael Jordan experience a chance to better understand and learn more about the G.O.A.T.

M.C. Swag
AG
Pumpkinhead said:

Glad this documentary gives younger generations who didn't live through the Michael Jordan experience a chance to better understand and learn more about the G.O.A.T.
I def appreciate seeing the 2nd greatest player of all time with adult eyes
BoxingAg84
Dan Scott said:

Scottie Pippen sat out the last second of a playoff game because he wasn't getting the ball, selfishly postponed surgery potentially screwing up the last season with team together and then when he came to Houston he was a punk ass *****.
They went in-depth on this situation in episode 7.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ten episodes isn't going to be near enough.
DeangeloVickers
AG
This is so badass

Jordan still pissed about Scotties migraine
Ron Harper mad about Ehlo guarding MJ
Everything Rodman
Dude smashed a Miller lite...hopped on a bike..headed to airport the. Vegas to party with Carmen Electra....damn
Know Your Enemy
AG
DeangeloVickers
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I think most big basketball fans are fairly familiar with Rodman's defensive/rebounding prowess, but it really is kind of unbelievable when you re-read the stats.

Back-to-back DPOY awards coinciding with two championships in Detroit and THEN kicks off a run of 7 straight rebounding titles starting in his AGE 30 season.

Those numbers were:

15.0 (Age 37, Last Dance season)

All of this at 6'7", 210 during the prime era for centers.
hph6203
AG
The Worm
94chem
Tonight's episode told how the Bulls re-dedication after losing to the Pistons in 1990 propelled them past the Pistons and the Lakers in 1991. Cool story, but I remember this like it was yesterday. The Bulls may have re-dedicated themselves, but the biggest reason they won is that the Pistons and Lakers got old. Boston, LA, and Detroit just couldn't wait forever for MJ to fully grow up. When he finally did, they were too old to put up much of a fight. This is a shame, just like how we never got to see them go against Clyde and Dream.
94chem
DeangeloVickers said:

That reminds me of the Saturday nights I used to spend watching wrestling with my dad.
Seven Costanza
AG
94chem said:

Tonight's episode told how the Bulls re-dedication after losing to the Pistons in 1990 propelled them past the Pistons and the Lakers in 1991. Cool story, but I remember this like it was yesterday. The Bulls may have re-dedicated themselves, but the biggest reason they won is that the Pistons and Lakers got old. Boston, LA, and Detroit just couldn't wait forever for MJ to fully grow up. When he finally did, they were too old to put up much of a fight. This is a shame, just like how we never got to see them go against Clyde and Dream.
Dumars was 27. Thomas 29. Rodman 29. Aguirre 31. Salley 26. (Laimbeer 34, Microwave 34, Edwards 35)

Magic was 31. Worthy 29. Perkins 29. Byron Scott 29. Divac 22. AC Green 27. Not terribly different than the team that won in '88, minus an ancient Kareem.
94chem
Seven Costanza said:

94chem said:

Dumars was 27. Thomas 29. Rodman 29. Aguirre 31. Salley 26. (Laimbeer 34, Microwave 34, Edwards 35)

Magic was 31. Worthy 29. Perkins 29. Byron Scott 29. Divac 22. AC Green 27. Not terribly different than the team that won in '88, minus an ancient Kareem.

They were both formidable teams, but they were on the wrong side of the slope. Mahorn was gone, Lambert and VJ old, Kareem retired, and Worthy was mere inches away from becoming a broken down old dude. He was still a good scorer, but his explosiveness was gone.

It wasn't like the 2013 Lakers with broken down Nash, Gasol...but they were still on the downswing.

Bulls probably win that title anyway, but they did not get a real challenge. They owned both series.

As a fan, I loved seeing Jordan break through after what, 8 seasons?
Seven Costanza
AG
It's funny how different his body language is while talking about this.

45-70Ag
AG
Deluxe said:

INJECT THIS INTO MY VAINS.

I lived in Chicago area from 1989-1996. So pumped for this documentary.

Same here
Was born there in '80 and left in '98 for A&M. Living their during that time was amazing.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I went to the rockets game the night after worthy had been busted for trying to solicit a pair of hookers who were undercover cops. The dad of a girl i worked with at the batt was the arresting officer.
hph6203
AG
Must've been a seriously convincing dress or Worthy has a different appetite than I'd expect.
PooDoo
AG
hph6203 said:

Must've been a seriously convincing dress or Worthy has a different appetite than I'd expect.

At the time there were whispers that Worthy was taking the fall to protect Magic.
94chem
Memory was correct. Phoenix in '93 was the best team they played. Knicks were a manufactured rivalry, posers. Pistons got old. Portland no. Seattle no. Utah, no. Wish we could have had a game 7, but Paxson had to knock down that shot.

Seven Costanza
AG
That '98 Eastern Conference All-Star team was weak. Steve Smith, Rik Smits, Antoine Walker, Jayson Williams, Glen Rice. Really the entire league was pretty down at that point, outside of the Bulls.
M.C. Swag
AG
Episode 5 might have been the best one. That Dream Team is really my first basketball memory and the catalyst for my love for hoops.
Hendrix
AG
I like the footage of the dream team scrimmage and all the trash talk. That was the day magic and the others realized who the alpha was. I had forgotten how cold blooded Jordan was in a good way. Just wanted to murder you. Killer instinct.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Between the Kobe/ASG locker room opening and the Dream Team segments, definitely the best episode.

I also wonder how Shaq would've fit in on that '92 team in place of Laettner.
94chem
I had to miss game 6 in 1993 because I was on a camping trip in the middle of Alaska. I had never realized that the pass to Paxson didn't come from MJ. He had fed the ball down low to Grant. But MJ was the only Bull who had scored in the 4th Q. The question isn't why Grant gave up the ball. Why did Jordan?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.